/evn/ English Visual Novel General

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
meganelover.com/post/122965940223/visual-novel-creation-masterlist

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rn9Scn-SJTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DqZYSj6cQdw
youtube.com/watch?v=2aBeAaB4BWI
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So someone finally did it.

didn't we have the same picture in the OP the last thread?

At least someone made a thread.

not enough (embed)s

I don't know what that means.

Starting to work on my evn alone with no skill whatsoever. Here's a sketch of the main character.

Last.

ugh, so lazy, we'll just have to post frantically fast to finish this thread and get a new header image

So I found out that I have no idea how to start a story.

So you finally want to talk about evns? What's everyone up to?

What's your evn about user?

It's gonna be a Lovecraftian horror that revolves around insomnia and sleep deprivation. Guy on the picture above hasn't slept normally in four months.

are you one of the few really bothered by the sprite/perspective issue?

Saya no Uta?

I wish I was Urobuchi but no.

will there be at least a cute shoggot or two?

There will be a cute human girl. But I don't want to give much attention to anything like that. You really want sequel of Saya, don't you?

Is that Bert or something?

Too lazy to start doing statistics work with background artists.

Don't worry, OP game is supposed to get 1440p graphics soon.

I'm also wondering when his lesbian threesome in space game comes out.

Did he change fat brown elf's design or is she still hideous?

We're going to need a picture

Who? The bbw elf in the space game isn't dark skinned. Unless you mean Jouya from The Menagerie in which case, no, Tao doesn't usually change character designs just people some people dislike aspects of them.

Sheepstorm guy here. Kinda hitting a bump with the rock-papers-scissors mechanic. ;_;

huh, for some reason I remembered her to be brown.

that looks alright to me, admittedly I am a retard
thank you for being a cool guy by the way senpai

How do you write dialogue for characters without sounding like it's always just the writer pretending to be the characters? Is there a guide or some tips and tricks somewhere? I'm really worried that people will think all my character dialogue is too samey. Am I worrying too much?

My issue is that the proportions seem off with the girl on the left. Her jacket might be causing part of the effect though.

The most common complaint I've seen is the colors used and how overly shiny their space suits are.

I have noticed that this game has gotten a ton more complaints about the art than Tao's other games. Both Greenlight and /u/ weren't exactly jumping to play it.

If you're having trouble getting started with speech patterns, assign actors to the characters in your head and try to hear the lines as they would say them.

b-but I've only seen JAV actors in my life!

They are just plain ugly t b h. Like he took his style to the extreme compared to his usual work and made all the wrong decisions (just compare their faces to the OP for example).

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

It might just be the tone/style he's going for with that game. Even the updated Toko art seems fine.

Tao's patreon backers get the patches and the beta early.

>toko.jpg
Ewwww, again?

that's nice to know, Tao

That's a lot of characters, and they look pretty good. How much money would something with that kind of production value net you?

God fuck my life. I know that Max's Big Bust is a shitty VN just from looking at it, but I'm so desperate for genderswap I may actually try it out.

At least put the slightest amount of effort and thought into your shilling.
Jesus.

here's a question I'm sure has never been asked before:

why does tao keep making more projects instead of finishing the one that everyone kickstarted and gave them the funds to start their studio in the first place?????

I wish Toko was about them when they were younger, those sprites are pretty cute.

aren't these royalty free sprites?

They're working on it right now actually. Stargazers and Toko Chapter 1 are going to be released before it though since they're much shorter. Chapter 1 of Toko is supposed to come out this fall.

not even royalty free, i think they're just free. it's some lsf kid's project, what do you expect?

I'm really just curious. A lot of work and effort was obviously put into those characters. Surely something like that would pull in a fair amount of funding.

given the length of their games though, it's a bit worrying it takes them this long to get to where they are. Seems like there's some serious problems with managing things somewhere along the line

or they're just plain lazy

that too. Focus is all over the place, diverting resources to making a voice/HD art patch chapter 0 of Toko which realistically isn't going to help the game much in terms of sales

I don't want another Strawberry Vinegar.

They also promised a Toko artbook last year and a patch to fix and add content to The Menagerie. The Menagerie patch feels necessary since that game felt very incomplete.

u no like loli?

Effort doesn't correlate with funds. Cheap cash-in games like the tank dating sim sold very well, while Rising Angels Hope, which had alot of effort and assets put into it sold like shit.

Strawberry Vinegar didn't have appealing art though. Tao can draw some pretty cute girls when he isn't drawing demons and insanely heavy girls.

Demon girls can be cute. And his bbw characters aren't "insanely heavy". In fact, SJWs were complaining that he didn't make Nadia fat enough.

This isn't appealing?

Well, just look at those tiny mutant fingers.

Not anime enough.

I've never played, so I've never seen any of the CGs. They are much better than the sprites, which I personally really dislike.

>realistically isn't going to help the game much
Realistically it's going to keep people away from it. If I saw that VA trailer I'd instantly skip the game. Not joking, it's horrendous.

What's the problem whith Rising Angels? Simply not enough tits?

I can't explain the tank dating sim. I think most people just bought it for laughs and memes. Everyone knew it was a cheap game. I would think as long as you market yourself properly you should do fine if you have plenty of eye candy. Toko has lots of eye candy, so I'm sure people are eating that up.

Yuri fans think the dev is Hitler because he made a yuri game they didn't like once years ago.

Dev lacks a large loyal following but does have a hatedom, and the last-minute splitting into 'episodes' confused and put off people

The voices are optional DLC that costs $5.

The 1440p is free, but most people that run VNs do it on toasters, so that's going to be alot of wasted effort. 1080p would've been the max that could've been pushed for realistically.

Germanic man with a mustache who wants to take over the EVN world and purge it of the waifu? Yep, he's actually Hitler.

>The voices are optional DLC that costs $5.
I'm just saying, if the first contact I had with it was that trailer, I would have NOPEd the fuck out.

People whine that they want voice acting.
Dev can't afford professional VAs, so they hire amateurs.
People whine that the voice acting is shit and that they mute most if not all of it.

To ever take people wanting VAs into consideration is a horrible, horrible mistake.

I haven't seen the trailer for their VA patch so can't comment on the quality, but I feel like even amateur voice acting can work if you're careful with who you choose and make sure the voices fit well.

Because I didn't spend all that much on VA for my VN and feel like it's been well received. Or, at the very least, no one has said anything bad about it

They also tend to want the extra content for free. How many people will want to pay $5 for voices when the game it's for is also $5? The people asking for these kinds of additions have no idea what they cost and just list off things that sound cool to have.

youtube.com/watch?v=rn9Scn-SJTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DqZYSj6cQdw
youtube.com/watch?v=2aBeAaB4BWI

The lesson here is don't listen to whining if it's not practical. You know your business much better than they do.

Players demand a change that's easy to do? Do it!

Players demand something ridiculous? IGNORE THEM.

"But your game would be so much better if you could choose the protagonist's gender and also design the way they look and also have 20 endings and also..." Don't argue with them, just ignore it.

Toko's VA dropped out due to real life issues, so she's being recast.

Devon's VA is great and like Ginxhou's voice. The 3 that I find off are Aces High (too nasally), the angel (bad anime dub tier), and Toko's dad (sounds too young/voice doesn't match character).

Devon and the Angel lady are the same VA actually.

I think Tao said that they went with bad dub with the angel on purpose for that classic anime feel.

>i-it's bad on purpose!

is always the worst defense for something

>dub

It'd have to be Japanese first to be a dub.

It doesn't need to be a dub to have dub shit quality.

Good morning /drama/, which dev are we gossiping about today?

Start with the OP and it should become obvious.

It takes drama or shitposting with the vague hope of hooking up to keep the thread consistently bumped. Don't be too hard on us.

so, come here often?

Did I give you permission to post bkub?

jej

Getting back on track, any good evns on sale in the Steam Summer Sale?

Inb4 mine.

Yours.

If I make an awesome evn will I be able to get a girlfriend?

Making a titty game is not going to impress the ladies

It's the opposite, user. You get a girlfriend to help you finish an evn.

>"So what do you do user?"
>"Why, I make videogames."
>"OMG, my boyfriend loves to play those! "
>"But has he played... a visual novel?"

If your evn makes you rich, then yes.

It won't be a titty game. Just a normal game.

That's not happening. I have no value in this life. The only way I can achieve some is to make something like an evn.

You get gold diggers. Not girlfriends.

All my money hasn't even found me a gold digger

You need to flaunt it more and look on dating sites while claiming what a successful businessman you are.

Man, just gimme your money I'll hook you up real quick.

>successful businessman
>man
maybe that's the problem