pastebin.com/SuXCN3pf (embed)
Other useful resources
pastebin.com/TyAHmtW4 (embed)

[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List

Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast (Updated every other Wednesday):
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!

Done with their part:
- RPG Maker Maker !!nHmJbtdk7T2
- Cortop !QqL8nX9URE
- Duwang !yP15zzo8dA
- MEands !!sbyw5zs4GtT
- Alexander Guy !swIUti/LTA
- salt !AOUYhrDYgU
- Double user !WAnon.pOpQ
- Crunch !I1tYcLS8Ts
- Comp !MEJ8qE/3h
- Silent Maid !ztOzYBnEEw
- Joakim Morgen !!4elh6dhvavq
- W.T.Dinner !LTqeha3bQk
- Firgof !aFqhsxkECQ

Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM

Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Other urls found in this thread:

rmrk.net/index.php?topic=29966.0
rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/modern-day-tiles-resource-pack
soundcloud.com/user-795244489/aftermath-orchestal-interlude
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

People are often asking for mapping tutorials, and since rpgm.net tutorial has broken images, I thought I'd share this one I just found:
rmrk.net/index.php?topic=29966.0

It's focused towards VX, but the theory should apply to any maker. It's only a short tut, but it should be useful for spicing up any map.

By the way, if anyone else knows of any other mapping tuts, please post them. I was considering making a doc and adding it to the next op.

bump
I know it's early in Eagleland, but I hope someone else is around.

Not letting this thread die this quickly.

I do notice a lot of people can make alright indoor maps/city maps but when it comes to forests or anything natural, people end up dropping the ball.

bumpin

Interesting. I like the rock texture, but the background elements look blurry and out of place. I know they're supposed to be out of focus, but I dunno... It doesn't look right.
Maybe try playing with saturation instead? For example, have the fore ground more saturated than the background? That way, the background with look faded and the foreground will pop out.
Just a thought, I know you didn't ask for criticism.

It's midday here, I just missed the last thread's death. Oops.

Give me a concept for a funny battler found on beaches that is fire-oriented (absorbs fire, attacks with fire). Setting is a bit like Earthbound, so modern things are ok.

A sunburn.

The Sun.

Alternatively: The Sun.

Page 10.

Crab Hotpot?

Hey, my RPG features a single character that uses the FTB battle system by Yanfly. Do you guys like that battle system?

Isn't CTB better? I mean, FTB is like CTB, but you don't get to go multiple times in a row if you are quick, right?

For a single character party I think FTB or ATB is better. If I have party members in my game they'll be auto-battlers, otherwise I'd use CTB, definitely.

But wouldn't CTB be more important for a single character party since you would need to heal and attack sometimes?

With FTB I have it so you have 2 action chips at the start of the game and as you progress you'll have around 4 at the end of the game. Healing isn't as frequent as other rpgs and will be expected to be done outside of battle (still possible, but expensive).

I like it, yeah. CTB is overrated.

Thanks, user. Hearing that people like FTB motivates me to actually work on my rpg.

I wish there was FTB for MV.
Yanfly plz.

Man, that's almost exactly what I did with Celia's Quest. You start with 2 actions, and slowly grow that into 5 as the game goes on.

Cool looking

Speaking of battle systems, is there any reason to not use Yanfly's Battle Engine Core?

Victor made his own battle engine equivilant (or so he claims), but I tried it out and it doesn't fix any of the stuff that Yanfly's does. All Victor's battle engine does is add action sequences, which don't even include zoom functions. Literally the only thing you can do with Victor's is to throw an object across the screen in an arc, which Yanfly doesn't have. That's like the one main thing I want.

And then, there's all those cool effects you can do with the Yanfly Tips and Tricks that involve the battle engine core which you can't do if you use Victor's.

It feels like a huge loss in opportunity if I switch to Victor's than Yanfly's. Anons, what are your oppinions?

Without having tried either, I have full confidence that Yanfly's is better than Victor's. Nothing Victor makes ever works the way I want it to, especially in combination with anything he didn't make. Yanfly's stuff has the downside of being instantly recognizable / samey (because everyone uses it), but at least it works, does cool things, and plays nice with others.

Sorry for the late reply if you're still around helpful user, bed called. Those are the only 2 pages on that particular event, so if that's not it it might be the switch, but I'm afraid to mess with that scripting because it was hard enough getting it to work the way I wanted it in the first place.

If anyone else has it set up so that NPCs respond differently based on what gear your character has on, I'd love to see how you pulled it off.

Shouldn't the fork condition in the left page of be "If: Fully Nude is OFF"?

>is there any reason to not use Yanfly's Battle Engine Core?
If you are using your own custom-made combat engine.

Personally, I find it better that if you were to use a custom combat engine to build around Yanfly's. There's a guy by the name of DreamX who did some amazing things building off Yanfly's battle engine. Losing out on Yanfly functionality can be a big loss because so many of his great tips and tricks depend on the battle engine core to be present.

I don't see why it should.

Pls help, /rpgmg/
I've been looking fore a certain game for a long time now. I played it and remember liking it, but i never finished it and i don't remember the name either. Wether or not the game turns out to be as good as i remember doesn't really matter, i just want to finally remember the title.
Maybe someone here knows the game i'm looking for.

My memory of it is extremely hazy, but here's what i remember:
- It played like an JRPG.
- It used facesets in boxes when displaying dialogue. (i think)
- I think the protagonist had black hair (he may have had an headband?) and i remember a girl with blue hair.
- I remember the MC creating a family and having children after beating some boss.
- I also remember that the game didn't stop there. The family was attacked by robots (which i think weren't in the game before that point). And I think this is where i stopped. i don't know why, the game might have been incomplete, though this is just a guess.
- It MAY have been a german game

It's also possible that i'm mixing up two or several games here. In any case, even hints are appreciated.

You know what? FTB is EXACTLY what my game needs!

Is there an FTB system for MV? If not, do you think I could try and request it on the forum or do you think they'd tell me it was too big and to take it to classifieds?

thanks, I did not know this and this is important

Post progress

hopefully this doesn't get me banned

Is it possible in rpgmaker mv to have a variable who's proper to event?

comfy

>proper
Do you mean "local"? If so, no, not by default. You get a couple local switches, but no local vars.

Thanks.
But I just found a script that was made for that.
(I searched for 7 hours...)

GUMP

bmp

Thanks.

Looks neat. You might wanna try a free movement script/plugin for the cursor though.

Great.

I think you should go with a different menu, though. Something that is 2x3 rather than 1x6. That way the player can move through the options a bit faster.

This looks really cool

I'm considering it. I like how grid movement negates the possibility of pixel hunts, but I agree it feels less natural. Most JADV games have a free cursor, so I'll probably do it eventually.

I think it's critical to the JADV aesthetic I'm emulating (pic related). Plus, having a menu two options wide would require either the text or graphics to become less wide; I don't like either option, because the graphics already feel small when too much time passes between menu options, and I'm also struggling to fit some commands in (especially in the Evidence menu -- for example, I had to cut "Locker Combination Note" down to "Locker Combo" so it'd fit on one line).
The other possibility is to put the command window at the bottom (some JADV games do this, like Snatcher), but it's annoying to not be able to see the items and text at the same time during cross-examinations. I'm still open to suggestions, though.

Thank you!

>I like how grid movement negates the possibility of pixel hunts
That's a good point, but like you said it doesn't feel very good.
Maybe you could have an optional grid overlay, so the player knows where they can click (since it will all still be tile based, functionally speaking)? Shouldn't be too difficult to implement, if you decide to do that.

That's a good idea. Thanks, user, I just might do that eventually.

bump

You can find the locker code in three ways. This is one of them.

>Multiple puzzle solutions
Excellent.

This.

One of the things I hate the most from adventure games is overspecific puzzles.

So that the left dialog appears when the PC isn't fully nude? Or maybe I'm just not getting something here.

Original asking user here, the way it is now (after multiple tweaks) it should basically translate to:

"If Nude = on, then say this; else, say that" - the "else" should cover Nude = off, shouldn't it? How else would I write it script-wise?

Also, those are page 1 and 2 of the NPC I'm using to test this whole thing with, her mother. The left one should be the first thing said, then the 2nd thing said if you talk to them again, then it loops, I just wanted each one to be different based on the state of dress, possibly including a third option later for "halfway"

Bump.

How are you controlling your switch on/off? Have you checked the debug menu (f9 in game) to see if the switch is really in the state you expect?

bump

Your tiles are coming along very nicely!

One thing though, the stairs going down could do with a bit more depth. They blend in a bit too much with the floor. Maybe make the lower steps/wall of the object a bit darker?

I honestly had no idea about the debug menu. I'll give that a shot a little later and let you know though.

I'd assume it was on though, because I had 2 temporary npcs that specifically turned the switch on and off and I tried with both as well as adding it to my parallel script that's running to control the character and sprite art.

Agreed, it's nice to see a classic look that isn't "over-pixelling" it, and I also agree, drop the stairs a little and make the stairs' wall a noticably darker shade maybe

Haven't worked on the tileset in probably 2 or so weeks, but thanks. I'll mess around with those stairs when I continue with drawing out this tileset [which I can hopefully get to the point of covering all the stuff the RTP does in a few weeks of decent work on it]

Am working on something that's due at the end of July, though, so I'd prefer to focus my attention a bit more on that at this moment in time.

What a splendid resolution! What engine are you working with?

Ok, so my sound-based mechanic for "creeping encounters" was a letdown in MV because the sound lag meant that the player couldn't really get the "sound alert" on time to really do anything about it, and thus eliminated all the "creeping" aspect.

The mechanic I am talking about is a "warning" that tells the player that a random encounter is incoming, and also gives some kind of vague warning regarding what it could be (originally, it was the sound of a monster in the incoming mob).

So, I am thinking about how I could make it work and I am thinking of a visual warning. Basically an event that on every step displays one of four different images (maybe there could be more variants, but this would be the default one). One for no encounters in the area. Another for area with encounters, but no encounters following you right now. Another for "being followed". And another for "boss encounter in this area".

So, what could be a good representation for the mechanic? Monsters don't really have any common lore, so there isn't much to dig there. Each character is all alone at a different point in the game, so I probably can't go with a physical quirk or equipment piece.

A dowsing stick? Some kind of crystal? A close up of the character's eyes?

ynkcjy.xcg

bump

Close up and crystal are nice options. Why not an overlay? Like the fog on Silent Hill, showing you less the more close to danger you are.

Is there any link for MV's Modern tileset? Can't find shit.

The setting is a tropical island, so fog doesn't fit that well. It would be fantastic in Gothic Horror, which was the setting in which I first attempted to use the sound mechanic, though. If I pick up that project again, I'll probably use fog.

That said, I am considering using money now. I began thinking about the magic sword in LotR, and realized that if metal that glowed in response to danger existed in real life, it would probably be very valuable and people would want to keep it always at hand,which means it would make a great currency.

Plus, I've always loved Metal Slimes/Cactuar, and if I created a battler that is literally made of money, and reacts to danger (flees) seems like a flavorful excuse for one.

You mean the sci fi one?

I meant the Modern Day Tile from the official site but then I realized it was only for VX Ace. I wouldn't mind the Sci-Fi one tho. Is there anyway to convert the tilesets? I read something a while ago about it, but not sure.

>Currently fleshing out the succubus/siren story line
>Play a bit of sakura dungeon on downtime
>Has a succubus that is a lesbian

WELP GUESS THAT STORY LINE IS GETTING CUT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>WELP GUESS THAT STORY LINE IS GETTING CUT
If you start going down that route, you'll eventually have to cut everything.

Look at the enormous amounts of entries sites like TVtropes list. At this point in time, you won't be able to come up with completely unique ideas anymore, and if you do it's likely by accident. Billions of people had ten thousands of years to come up with stuff.

What you can do is set yourself apart in details and in new combinations. Sakura Dungeon has a lesbian succubus, so you focus on the distinctions between the succubus and the siren. Because I bet it does not have that combination.

Thanks user, I actually had these already. Just came back to MV and I'm still figuring it out. Had some good experience with VX Ace tho. Is there any good equivalent to this tileset in MV?

rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/modern-day-tiles-resource-pack

I have faith that you can make a better succubus than the one there.

And yeah, don't worry about storylines that are similar to ones in existing media. You'd never get anything done if you wanted pure originality.

You kids and your sexy games.

Stop making games so sexy!

What is your opinion on RPGs without experience points and levels? My game is going to be purely gear-based, so experience points and levels are pointless.

The gear will need to have a noticable impact on performance (damage, healing, health) then

hello rpgmg.
i've posted here before and i made a new composition.

soundcloud.com/user-795244489/aftermath-orchestal-interlude

if you guys wanted to check it out, id be grateful to hear what you think :)

I'm not sure if I ever played a game like this, I honestly can't remember.
It sounds good though, I would play it.

Why not? I could go for it

Its more of a problem because its come out so recently. See everyone going "Nice undertale clone" whenever someone puts a joke or a dog in their game.

Though, if current progress is any indication this wont be finished for another 20 or so years so maybe that wont be a problem.

Nobody will compare your lesbian Succubus to Sakura Dungeon's Succubus.
Nobody.

My game is having something similar to this. The main characters don't get xp, but their summons do. Recycling their summons pay out crystals which is then used to increase the MCs stats but it returns the summon to level 1. So there is a tradeoff of having more fire power or leveling the MCs. The MCs also make their summons more powerful, so there is incentive to recycle the summons instead of just sitting on them at max level.

I think it's because player objectives for indoor/cities come naturally. Rest, shop, stealth, and sleuth.
And people are good about putting traps and puzzles in dungeons and towers.

But outside places can't all be branching paths from point to point. Forest A, B, and C all need different objectives.
Hunting, Racing, Hide&Seek.
Don't get hung up making it realistic. Take notes from real rpgs. It's not unusual to have a section of forest dedicated to a guessing game or for playing whack-a-mole.

Honestly? It ends up making every regular fight worthless and tedious, because the gear you want you will or already have gotten from the bosses and/or chests. Players will be a lot more prone to fleeing or, if that's not allowed, then just being frustrated with it.

I just had this experience with Elana, Champion of Lust's newest update. They made fights take x5 times longer, with no flee or auto-fail choice, and you have to click multiple times through every attack, and there is quite literally no benefit from winning or losing the fight. Novelty turned to frustrating into infuriating very quickly.

Enemies can still drop items and money, y'know.

Alright, I'm making some progress with scripting my game down to my desired 320x320 window. My current project is pic related, changing the equip window from left to right (except less shopped-looking). Any help or advice would be appreciated, as always (VX Ace). Special shout-out to the person who helped me last thread. You gave me the exact advice I needed. Thanks!

But does it feel worthwhile? If you've been playing smart and you're a good chunk of the way through the game, could a player be set "enough" with money and generic items that they would find those regular fights a bother? Will it feel like "an interruption to the game"?

I didn't mean to suggest it's impossible to pull off. I just had a really bad experience with it recently.

People will say that regardless. Mostly because people are idiots.

One of my favorite stories in that regard is about William Gibson going to see Blade Runner when it first came out in cinemas. He more or less ran out of the theater in a panic because what he saw on the screen looked just like what he was imagining in his head while working on Neuromancer.
And even if critics made comparisons Blade Runner, it certainly did not affect the novel's success.

Besides: People are still idiots, and opinions on the internet are like assholes: everyone has one. They even call Cave Story an Undertale clone, which is kind of hard with Cave Story having been released before Undertale.

Funny, earlier this day I remembered your other song. While I don't know anything about the technical side of music I'll tell you what I think.
I like this song it has a certain melancholic beauty in it.
The beginning feels somewhat "cheaper" than the piano later on (which is really good). The piano simply outclasses the instruments used in the beginning.
I can totally see this track in a game after something tragic happened.
While this doesn't give you any useful insights keep it up user, a full soundtrack by you would be really beautiful to hear.

The way I'm thinkg people would have to reinvent rewards for that kind of setup.

Fewer battles would also help because if there's random encounters then you could get frustrated easier but I dislike random encounters in the first place.

>over 7k/month on patreon
People really do like their porn. Also, what sort of system has no difference between winning or losing a fight?

But yeah, that is part of the reason why stuff like the newer paper marios aren't liked as much: when getting into battles isn't worth the effort, and when your rewards from them are either transient or useless, unless your battles are really good you're just not going to go through the effort of fighting them.

Would you find it weird if Ithe player wasn't reflected on water tiles in my game, but clouds were?

Depends. Does it have any plot or character relevance?