/emugen/ - Emulation General

Last thread: emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

News:
Dolphin 5.0 stable is out with a whole host of features that will be new to anyone who never upgraded to a dev build from 4.0 but that will come as no surprise to people who update to dev builds regularly: youtube.com/watch?v=KS7Fl30JZcA

If anyone can tell me how to get it working with multiplayer for 4 swords adventure then that would be helpful.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Vibration-Feedback-Gamepad-Controller-Joystick-architecture/dp/B00OAYHIRA/ref=zg_bs_402045011_17
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

/emugen/ 5.0, we did it.
We fixed most of the bugs but it's not perfect yet.

Anyone with experience emulating Splinter Cell games?
Emulated Double Agent back in 2012 on pcsx2, it wasn't the smoothest experience. Want to replay the series and now I'm wondering if I should go with GC of PS2 versions.
I assume Dolphin is more stable as of now, right?

Dolphin devs are pretty based. I sure wish I could help, but I don't even know where to start. I know about algos, structures, and some about operating systems; would I need to know about compilers?

Go ask them. They must have an IRC or something.

For games from that era, the GC version tends to be better than the PS2 version AND it is very likely to emulate better because PCSX2 is a mess and Dolphin is fairly competent.

Probably not. I guess look at their bugtracker and look for things you might want to look into. Or ask them directly.

>5.0

Literally who fucking cares other than retarded ass /v/?

They all have PC ports. Just play the PC ports.

>Thread entirely dedicated to emulation
>Try to spice up the header to make it more interesting since a rolling newsfeed with major events would be nice to get going
>"Hurr why are you talking about emulation in my emulation thread"

Stop making threads shilling Dolphin

Am I gonna have a hard time playing MGS with a 360 remote, since it doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons?

>Shilling free software
It's news. Get the stick out of your arse.

As someone who forgot pressure sensitive buttons were a thing while playing it, I doubt it. It just makes it so that you will always shoot rather than having the option to aim before pressing harder to shoot.

Doesn't it also make you able to crouch walk. Is that not a big thing in MGS2/3?

I'm still on the ship, but I'm struggling a bit with the controls.

I'm not sure that I ever used it in MGS2. It was more important for MGS3 with strangle controls if I remember correctly.
You can map pressure sensitive buttons to keys on your keyboard or unused controller buttons such as the home button if you really need them.

Ah, thanks. I did not know that. I will try to map it to the guide button then. Do you know what the button is to strangle someone? Is there a pressure sensitive choke to put someone to sleep/kill?

It's not news to anyone that ever bothered to actually read the fucking wiki.

Literally nothing in Dolphin changed on the day 5.0 released.

In MGS3 the grab button is a light press on the circle button and a full press will break the neck I think. I remember grabbing people being easier in MGS2 because you didn't accidentally kill them all the time as it wasn't pressure sensitive.

Full press actually slices their throat. Tapping repeatedly will break their neck.

Not that it really makes a difference.

Wouldn't that mean that an emulation of MGS3 would not be able to be accurate without a pressure sensitive button controller?

Yeah. And then right thumbstick gets them to give you information.
It took me like a whole playthrough to get the hang of holding people up in MGS3. Should have read the manual really. It's super complicated in MGS4 too but you can do some fun stuff.
I liked the ease of MGS2's grapples.

Yeah. It's fine if you have a PS3 controller though. You can always remap the light pressure to other buttons as well if necessary so it's not too much of an issue. Rarely comes up and is rarely necessary to complete a game.

MGS expert here. Only pressure sensitive actions of any real use in 2 are peeking in first person view (without pressure sensitivity, you'll peek ALL THE WAY OUT, ALL THE TIME), and pointing your gun without firing it, in case you want to hold soldiers up for their dogtags, and even then, there are ways to do that without pressure sensitivity. Crouchwalk wasn't a thing until MGS4.

in 3, both of those apply but also pressure sensitivity is used to cut a guy's throat when you have him in a chokehold, but since doing the same action with a light press isn't used for anything, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. The way it'll work is that once you have someone on a chokehold...

>tap repeatedly to make them pass out
>keep tapping once they're unconscious to break their neck
> or tap and then hold to cut their throat.

Speaking of Dolphin 5.0

Anyone mind sharing their controller config/setup for Gamecube and Wii.

I'd appreciate it.

Is it really that hard to map it yourself?

I wonder if you could set it up to replace a light press with a full press? It's not like you ever need to cut their throats.

throatcutting is way faster, but makes noise, neckbreaking is slower, but quieter. It's situational, but really, you probably won't use either. And you can still do both without pressure sensitivity

With Wii it varies by game due to all the waggle subsitute shit

Yeah, but I mean you shouldn't be killing people anyway.

Ideally, yeah. Especially in 3

>Implying the sorrow is difficult

When did I say that

>he didn't remember this is a sneaking mission

Cheers, guys. I will go through this when I play next (which should be later tonight).

Should I bother playing Peace Walker or go: MGS 2>MGS 3>MGS 4 (Watch playthrough/cutscenes)>Ground Zeroes>5

I've played Metal Gear 1 & 2 back in the day, but don't really remember them. I think I'm just gonna play 2 & 3 on low difficulty, since the controls seem a bit convoluted.

You implied it by saying you shouldn't be killing people. What other reason would there be to not kill people other than to make that boss easier.
At least it's interesting when there's loads of ghosts. When I played it again on a minimal death run it was just dull and prolonged.

>Cover is blown following the first encounter with boss and everyone knows you're there

Why are you skipping MGS1? The entire rest of the series literally revolves around it, it's the most important one.

Don't skip MGS1.

If you want the full canon experience: MG1>MG2:SS>MGS1>MGS2>MGS3>MGS4>watch an LP of Peace Walker (it's bad, but it's still canon)>Ground Zeroes > MGSV

You'll understand when you're older

Play twin snakes though, it's better.

No

*airplane flyby noises*

How accurate is Dolphin really?

I feel like the public creams itself over it because it runs marios and zeldas and has good PR in general while everyone excepts much more from PCSX2 for example because PS2 library is larger and has much more games people want to play. Its shortcomings become very apparent when you run games from various developers instead of Nintendo games only like in the case of Wii/NGC.

I've seen MGS. And I don't have a PS3, so I'm gonna have to watch a playthrough of MGS4, I guess. I saw that Ground Zeroes + V are only $20 this week, so that what inspired me going through the series.

Whatever you say PCSX2shills.

Dolphin just works whereas PCSX2 often requires game specific setups and hacks as well as switching to software mode for cutscenes and things like that. Dolphin also has some pretty good netplay and emulates 2 systems plus VC titles if you're into that.

You need to be able to drag people around without cutting their throats. Especially Eva.

You can do that without pressure sensitivity, it'll be fine

Just tranq her and pick her up.

You literally get more items from unconscious bodies than dead people, and your rating (that gives you some unlocks) after the mission's end is affected as well.

Dolphin is over-hyped due to the amount of shills

It's a wacky comedy take on the classic.

Does a gamecube controller work for PJ64? It's my first time emulating a system besides SNES or GBA so I figured it's time to finally get an adapter but when I looked at the product page it mentions Dolphin specifically but nothing else. I could swear I remember someone telling me any controller works with an emulator as long as you map the buttons but now I'm not so sure so I wanted to double-check.

being able to play Rogue Squadron is pretty neat

>seen
>watching an LP
You have to be 18 years or older to post here, and don't listen to this retard here either

I'm 25, I've been going to Veeky Forums for 11 years. I watched the Giant Bomb playthrough last year. I never had much interest in MGS until now, but I figured I would fill that hole.

You can use a GC with the adapter as a DInput controller.

I emulate using both frequently and Dolphin unironically has more game-specific settings.

Even for popular games like TP and WW there are a ton of things you need to do to get them running properly.

pcsx2's main issue is removing blur or something and that's a rare occurrence.

They still haven't fixed PCSX2 though

>Not preferring superior MGS2 gameplay

Any recommendations on android controllers? >pic related seems great because of portrait mode for NDS emulation, and I've read somewhere, that the dpad is way better, than on the other andoid controllers.

>phone """"""""emulation""""""""

I have another ipega gamepad and it has a shockingly good dpad so I can verify that they are capable of it, but it's not the same one and it looks like the dpad itself is a different design too.

Can that thing actually extend out far enough for landscape position? Portrait is okay for DS but not anything else.

How do I into multiplayer MHFU using PPSSPP?

Google it. Check the wikis.

kthanks

Could you post a pic of your ipega? Or check its number?

Get the fuck out.

That is not necessary.

I'm sure they're already gone anyway.

So what's the best USB controller for general use? I have an old steel series PS clone, but it's getting old and worn, doesn't work too well

preferably cheap so I can buy 2 of them

If you can swing bluetooth instead, I highly recommend the wiiu pro controllers. Otherwise, the Logitech F310s are aight.

>Get the fuck out.
Why?

The logitec one is one of the top ones on amazon, mostly going to be using it for gamecube games I think, I'm basically just putting together an emulation box for work, and the hardware can't run most newer stuff

I'd rather just go wired for ease of use and not having to deal with batteries

Xbox 360 or Xinput clones thereof. Plug and play and supported by pretty much anything.

I thought direct input was more widely supported as far as emulators go, plus the logitech controller is only 20 bucks

None of the emulators I use have any problem with XInput. You can get clone 360 type controllers for about the same price.

It's a 9025

Found this one, good reviews, PS clone, does Xinput and Direct input

think I found my baby

but like I can use multiple of the same controller and they won't like crosstalk right? like I can use 4 of them on a single PC right?

amazon.com/Vibration-Feedback-Gamepad-Controller-Joystick-architecture/dp/B00OAYHIRA/ref=zg_bs_402045011_17

I guess it's built like toilet paper though, maybe I'll stick to the logitech controller

You can use up to 4 xinput on one PC. After that you require DInput to add more controllers for 5+ player games.
Wireless and wired XInput controllers will both be detected the same way so again, only 4 total regardless of status of wire before you need a DInput.

I guess the logitech one can do X and direct input, suppose there's not really any question of what to buy

XInput controllers can do DInput anyway I think.

but a simple switch is always nice

Yeah, true.

I've owned a Logitech F310 since 2012, it's treated me well. Planning to upgrade to an F710 soon. I've heard people question the quality of the d-pad on both, but I think it's fine.

Why not just pick up a dualshock?

How do I apply patches in PPSSPP?

I want to play Project Diva 2nd in 60 fps

I have the F310 and have been using it for years and regret every minute I spend with it. The deadzones are DISGUSTING, the D-pad is just loose and shitty feeling. Do not get the controller. I picked up a mayflash adapter for my Gamecube controller hookup to a Wii U and instead have been using it for my PC to replace the F310 because I couldn't take one more minute of 6% deadzone analog sticks while trying to play games. Playing F-Zero GX with that controller gave me fucking cancer.

I slightly prefer Logitech's d-pad over the Dualshock's. The switch is nice, too.

There's a program that lets you do it. Just google it. You just get the patch, point it at the game you want to patch and it does it.

Switch?

The one that lets me switch between Xinput and Dinput instantly.

You seriously don't understand how bad the controller you've been using is, trust me. I was the same, with no point of reference to what a high-sensitivity analog stick should feel like.

When do you need that?

when an emulator or game doesn't support Xinput...

When's the last time that happened to you?

Project 64

linux ppl don't understand this shit. They're trolling.

I dunno, I was also considering a DS4 so who knows what I'll end up getting since DS4Windows is apparently really good. I need to spend more time with one though so that I can get a better feel for it.

Not him, but the original Death Rally, a few weeks ago.

Project64 was working fine with my xinput controller the other day.

Welcome to last year.

Citra dynarec when?

Just hack a 3ds if you want to pirate those games.

>jit2 branch last updated 2 months ago by MerryMage
Never ever.

Anyone knows if this runs well on Dolphin now?

I remember trying to emulate it about a year ago and it had a whole bunch of problems and ran like shit. I'm on a different pc now so I can't check myself.

I'd love to be able to play this childhood gem again.