Hello ladies and gentlemen...

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I'm a 25 year-old full-stack web developer who recently quit his job developing websites at an agency (mainly because it was a shit job) and now I wanna start my own company from home.
I already have the skills to quickly build responsive and functional websites and also I have a list of emails from potential customers.
I would appreciate some guidance on how to charge my clients (I.e. who pays for the hosting/domain name, for how many years should I pay it?, Who pays for a website's renewal?, Where should I host my webpages? As far as I know it's way cheaper to host in USA rather than here in Chile).
My plan is to start promoting my company by building a website and sending mass email and make it look really professional. My target clients are 45+ year-old wealthy guys who run their own businesses. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

bettrfastr.com/setting-site-right-way-registrar-email-dns-hosting/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My opinions only:
>Who pays for the hosting/domain?
You do, and you pass the cost to them. Maintaining control over the domain/hosting will make the websites more turnkey and make it harder for them to use someone else (i.e. someone cheaper) down the road.

>How many years?
Require 2 years hosting/domain charges up front, then just re-charge yearly. Most businesses are gonna be fine with that, $10/yr. for a domain is pennies compared to building rent/etc.

As for hosting, I'd try to get clever and buy some hosting on a VPN and parcel it out among smaller clients. You could make money that way.

>Where should I host my webpages?
Dreamhost is my favorite hosting company. They are consistently high quality and don't cave when websites get DDOSed or when some asswipe threatens baseless lawsuits.

this clown doesn't know anything.

use google cloud or AWs or heroku or redshift for cloud hosting.

op here! thank you both, I'm taking note of everything... Is it possible to use cloud hosting with multiple DNS?

Those are all great options, but aren't they significantly pricier on the low end and entail a bit of risk (e.g. paying for bandwidth)? Plus, at least for Google Cloud or AWS, there's a bit more elbow work getting websites onboard - single-purpose hosting providers tend to be a bit easier to deal with if you're lazy as fuck.

Use digitalocean cucks

cloud is cheaper by definition, since you only pay for what u use. most hosters also hack ur data.

>most hosters also hack ur data

u what?

you think datacenters monitor every single box?

define 'hack'
why is it 'harder' to host on the cloud. how a vps is different since it's a server with a desktop that you can access?

You pay for everything and register the domain in your own name you own it then. Just charge a yearly fee for everything and maintain the site do updates when they ask.

>Hello ladies and gentlemen.
this is Veeky Forums, no females here

>you think datacenters monitor every single box?

lol, i know for a fact they do cuz i was hacked by godaddy and ATT before moving 2 google cloud.

they have nothing better to do .

Interesting... I was checking it out just now. Thanks ;)

lol, just wanted to be polite (although this is Veeky Forums...)

what were you hosting?

>hacked by godaddy
Haha what

just out of curiosity what types of businesses do they run, and how did you come into contact with them?

>i was hacked by godaddy

you were hacked by a domain registrar? How do you propose that occurred?

they have hosting newb.

their fuckin nosy . lets just leave it at that.

Elaborate

What did they 'hack'. And why would you use web hosting over a vps?

Do you have any proof of this?

I know this is not very legal but I also work casually as an IT support technician at several places (engineering companies, construction companies, etc...) and they regularly ask me to make email backups from all their accounts which I keep in my own external HDD (in case of accidental loss). Maybe I should consider asking them for permission before getting their customers' email addresses but I don't think there should be any issues since they're in general older people who don't know much about computers.

>newb
>lets just leave it at that

Hey how's school going for you?

its eazy for ppl to hack ur shit if they have all ur information and access to the physical server , shouldn't be a stretch of the imagination 4 u

i wish i knew half the shit i know now in gradeschool , kiddo .

i use cloud hosting, its the only reasonable thing to do if you plan on building a serious , scalable site.

ofc, i got hacked by a pajeet at google too so ...( he was stupid tho , he pinned my domain name to his shitty website for some reason, i was able to trace back it to his facebook page and sent him a "message" that probably scared the shit out of him. .

>I was "hacked" by godaddy/ATT
>Oh no wait maybe it was google
>No, definitely pajeet did it

>Still avoiding any proof of any of this ever occurring

t. 14 year olds

Why don't you report it to the company?

I highly highly doubt they 'hacked' you

Anyone in computer security should know how awful GoDaddy is.

If you host something that might even be close to risque with all it takes is one email to get your shit shut down, your money forfeited and your domain name stuck in limbo until it expires.

Not to mention they are so easily socially engineered it is ridiculous.

no all 3 of them hacked me dipshit.

why do i need 2 prove it 2 u ?
its not like i saw jesus riding a unicorn,
some shit heads in the center went into my shit and fucked with my stuff.

they are the company...
who am i gonna tell, the ceo ?

>Not to mention they are so easily socially engineered it is ridiculous.

what do you mean by this?

OP, do you mind giving your email? I have worked with an web development start-up, and I could help you out if you need some.

nice pic btw op...
looks like scott pilgrim vs the matrix.

[email protected]

good advice hear, a good friend of mine does this with a lot less experience than you and makes decent passive income

just set it up where they have to go through you for everything but try and automate as much as possible and never let them really figure out how easy it is what you do

(primarily small traditional service type businesses are great customers like construction or drywall etc where the people have no tech savvy and are too busy to really care beyond paying you every month

if ur gonna charge them for hosting u should definitely run it on the cloud as instance per business, then charge them dedicated server prices.

exactly! I noticed that at my previous job. For non tech savvy people it's such a big deal to have an on-line presence and they don't mind paying a high price for it

I use DO, but I'm paying $10 per server per month to run LAMP instances to host WordPress websites. I'm looking into using multisite to cut costs, because some get very little traffic. Trying to min-max my profits/expenses.

>why do I need to prove it
Because you made an unlikely claim on an anonymous message board where only facts and evidence mean anything.

If you want to do well, keep this in mind OP: You're selling ROI, not just a website. Build them in a way that they'll make businesses more money, not just to get paid. Utilize analytics and build your own case studies with proof.

ur a wordpress babby, im not suprised that ur baffled in disbelief at the way web hosting works and the internet works. bet you don't even know html, much less javascript. you just copy and paste together templates for your mlp /pokemon rule 34 fansite right?

Honestly, if all they need to host is a static website, GitHub Pages would be the way to go. Don't even have to pay for hosting. Still charge for it, because they might still ask for little maintenance changes and whatnot.

You got me ;)
I'm thinking about learning Drupal to add to my résumé, but WP is just so stupid easy. I show my clients a live template preview, say THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE GETTING so I face no scope creep, and everyone gets what they need. I take photos and do video so they have original content, but I use templates because I don't want to be bogged down doing updates, etc when there are already so many devs building great templates

Yo guys, i didnt want to make another stupid thread, so decided to ask here for a couple ideas.
So, i live in a former soviet country, and, as i observed, the best business ideas here are those, which are stolen from west.
I have a decent web development experience, like Django framework and markup. Not much, but still able to build a fancy CRUD. So, the point of me writing all this garbage is to ask you, guys: what is the best website idea to make at least $100 from AdSense a month. Preferably, it should be somehow self-filled, as i'm going to study hard af this year.
Thanks, hope you got something for me to advice. Once again, $100 a month would be just awesome.

pokemon/ mlp rule 34 art.

If you're still here, I just started my own web design service about 2 weeks ago and could definitely use some referrals/help/tips

[email protected]

I thought of Pokemon go, but our web turned out to be fulfilled with this shit
And ponies are not popular here at all

Hmm. I'd say something with a frequently searched title, or clickbait. Maybe "how to build a website and make money with AdSense." Just think what people are going to search for.

Drupal's still a thing? Please tell me it's not still a thing, it's utter trash.

That's actually an even better plan.

>what is the best website idea to make at least $100 from AdSense a month. Preferably, it should be somehow self-filled, as i'm going to study hard af this year.

If I was gonna do this, I'd just find some part of Reddit that's super popular and has a ton of effortposts, copy+paste, slap ads on it, call it a day.

Thanks, pals. Love you both :*

bettrfastr.com/setting-site-right-way-registrar-email-dns-hosting/

Did you really quit your job and then post on Veeky Forums? Good luck user, you're gonna need it

Good stuff, thanks senpai

Yes I did really quit my job. I have other options available but I don't wanna work for someone else. I consider myself capable of working on my own so why not?