/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Last thread: > Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

Sudden Announcement edition

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/
koonsolo.com/news/dewitters-gameloop/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this gif makes me angry

>gif
I can see why

CodeBlocks or Visual Studio for C++?

make it a sphere

Visual studio because I use it

A real dev would use an anime girl instead of a dog.

>Decide sunday night that I'm going to buckle down and get dev shit done
>Wednesday night still nothing

Wow, I am in exactly the same situation.
Makes you think, huh?

Here's some progress, 2 days work so far, intend to submit this to Demo Day 9 as a sacrifice instead of BANCHOMANS, since that isn't ready yet.

What should I call it? Candidates:
SKULLWHIPZ
SKULLFLAILZ
SKULLBROZ
SKULLINATORZ

(The "Z" postfix and the "SKULL" prefix are necessary.)

(If you can think up something better I'm all ears, I'm fucking terrible at naming my games)

I like the juice, but I'm not sure if it'd actually be more fun to play...

SkullycloneZ?

"""Progress"""

>Tried adding bloom, but it kills the framerate with a large number of bullets
>Simple combo mechanic

Choppy webm due to compression, shit

The question of game loops and frame rates really mystifies me since the very beginning. Most tutorials just tell you to cap it at 60 FPS (so the loop runs every ~16 milliseconds) or tell you to rely on VSYNC. What do you do, /agdg/?

What I would like to have is a method, which lets the machine take as much time as needed for rendering a frame, but maybe have a minimum cap around VSYNC time (so for example at 60FPS the rendering can take longer than 16 milliseconds, but can not be faster than that). I would move my objects based on this passed time. So I would tell my entities to move X pixels per second instead of moving X pixels per frame, which means that they would move with x*passedTime. In this way, the entities would behave the same regardless of hardware.

How can I achieve this? I hope my explanation was clear. I'm using SDL2, by the way, but I think there's an overall solution which works in every environment.

I am making a tile based engine for an RTS. Am i only a game dev once I have gameplay?

this is your motivation for today

Spent the last few hours modeling out a character. Hair is so goddamn hard to make by the way. I'm going to retopologize his nasty hair eventually. Going to paint the ears in as a texture rather than model them, but I do have some pre-made ears I could attach on in case the painted ears look too weird. Anyway, what do you think are some major issues with pic related? Anything in particular you like about it?

For 3d models, eye lashes are (usually) made with planes and a transparent image texture is applied to it, that's why the eyelashes are the way the are at the moment.

I like SKULLWHIPZ - it tells you everything you need to know. You should go with that

MIXSKULLZ

Can I get some advice on how to lay out my combat UI?

I need buttons to end the current turn, block with a shield, and attack with left-hand weapon (attacking with right hand weapon doesn't need a button, you just click on an enemy in range).

The bottom of the screen is already covered in cards, I don't know if there's room to cram a bunch of buttons there.

I was thinking of having a right-click menu that pops up? It would allow for easy targeting of block/attack skills, because you wouldn't have to push a button THEN click a tile. Another option is just having those abilities be hotkeys.

Both options are kinda unintuitive though.

are those hearthstone cards

Zarya is ANGERY

This is how I read it.

Use CodeBlocks if you plan releasing on Linux, unless you can tell the differences between what works in VC++ and mingw.

LWJGL for 3D gamgam, any tips on previous experience?

nice

have the cards slide out view unless they're selected/ in use. Then in place of cards have your battle ui

Looks good even with those simple shapes. But the framerate bro, you gotta fix that shit, it's unacceptable with this amount of objects. What are you using?

Yes, I would have ripped a different TCG's card design off but they literally all look shit, card art notwithstanding.

>my soul when

Hotkeys would be good but you probably also want something onscreen the player could click quickly during combat.

ohh shit son looking like a legit game

What OS are you in?

Use vim and compile from terminal. It will save you time and from further headache later on

This is actually a lot more complicatd topic than most think. There is pretty good rundown called fix your framerate out on the internets.

gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/
koonsolo.com/news/dewitters-gameloop/

Read both of those.

Do you not think only being able to see your cards when you mouse-over them would make it hard to plan your turn out? Players might forget what cards they had drawn.

So then do I put the buttons in the bottom left? Should they have a background behind them, or just floating buttons? There are only going to be 3 so a background feels overpowering and cluttered.

some guy started telling me how hes making a 3d rpg and when i asked him what modeling program his response was that he used various programs but cant remember the name of them

Thank you! I was not aware of the second article, maybe that will help. However it's somehow comforting to know that there are many different approaches to this subject, and even if someone says go with this or that, there's no actual best practice, so there's a lot of room for experimenting.

Yeah I would probably do without a background. If these actions are important you might want to look at where rts and moba and diablo games put these things.

Then have cards slightly out of screen, or perhaps transparent until highlighted.

I like SKULLWHIPZ.
Game looks fun but, how do you control the skull anyway? It looks to me like the kind of game that will feel awesome with a gamepad.

Don't ask me why I spent so much to make this

cool story

kek if it looka like that in game I'd play it.

Game maker studio. I'll need to check if the lag is due to the bloom itself or the multiple renderings...

Listen up folks. I'm nodev.

I'm nodev too.

>SKULLWHIPZ
This is the best, don't forget to give it a cool subtitle like "unlive to whip another day"

me three. ill never make my scalefag game

it's not a whip breh, it's a flail

unrelated
>tfw collision detection inspires you to change primary mechanics, your level editor, and your whole level design workflow
>tfw slowly losing inspiration

We are all nodev, wasting time (not) trying to make games instead of playing them.

>shitty loop going o 2^n
>waste three fucking hours trying to optimize it
>no longer works
>have to revert until it works again to restart optimizing

epin, just epin

kill me

>o 2^n
the fuck does that mean?

Maybe you should've made game instead.

Bloom should be costly per pixel and not tied to draw calls. You might just be experiencing two performance problems at once though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation

it means that the efficiency of the loop scales exponentially, although how one achieves a 2^n loop is beyond my understanding

How are you implementing the bloom effect?
Are you using surfaces?

>mfw i spent 2 weeks learning Maya and the uni i'm going to uses 3ds max

I wish my shmup was this tight.

I am as well. My shame is eternal.

>complaining when you get the chance to have your own student license and free learning on 3ds max

Yea, as I was making the hair, my mind instantly went to "this is reminding me of Zarya."

You're at least aware of the main inspiration. Thanks for this by the way.

I'm drawing everything I want to bloom to a surface, then draw that surface twice, once without bloom and once with a blur shader applied.

>tfw got banned for posting a lewd pic on /v/
Fuck I didn't notice that nipple! Oh well, I'm back now.

I spent these three days of vacation I made some props for the stage (I'd like to make the stage feel more alive but I don't know if I'll make it in time for DD9).
Also started mapping out the song I received from my musicbro, it's hard as fuck to get the timings right.
As you can see from the webm, I suck at my own game.

I tried implementing various short animations the idol will do almost at every note the player hits. Now they're completely random, and i don't really like how it came out honestly. I'll work on this some more but I might scrap it and go back to how it was before.

>Project Idol Bunny
>Available soon on your "demo day"
I like it.

Your main problem is that the animation is delayed, so she does something off-beat. It would be better to have a build up animation and then the payoff when you hit the button, or her slipping up and looking foolish if you miss the right button.

does the guy who made 9th dawn 2 come here?
he posted some gift codes in a geame dev thread on /v/ and i really like it so far

Cmake

DELETE THIS

I MEAN IT

it's a lot of hard work

okay

so is 6dof witching dead

I've been playing that game a bit too. It's pretty fun.

If you are drawing what you want to bloom to the surface on the step event, you'll get a lot of lag there. Do it on the End Step event instead.
If is not that, try deactivating the blur shader, if you don't get fps drops then, you can make the blur effect with the same surfaces.

Create two surfaces, set interpolation on and draw screen scaled to a smaller size (I'm using 0.5) to one surface Then draw that surface to the other scaled the double to the previous one scalled again (you get the screen drawn on a surface at 0.25 of its size) Turn interpolation off
On the draw event turn interpolation on again , set blend mode to add and draw that surface stretched to the screen full size (in my case x4). Mess with the alpha or the amount of draw calls to get more or less bloom. Turn interpolation off and set blend mode to normal at the end.

That what I'm doing for this effect, just using surfaces no shaders at all, and while my game is way simpler than yours I can run it on a toaster with 1GB of RAM without any FPS drops.

Looking really cute.

They made a Pokemon for that guy making that visual clusterfuck of a game.

do you know what the different stats do? especially int and wis?
i tried checking the game site but theres like no info there and the steam forum doesnt have anything usefull either

I wish this was me, but I can't get past the Roses and Wine phase it seems.

The stage is a nice addition. Will you create models for the audience or stay with these featureless figurines?

Fan arts are nice.

He used to.

You could make the satege feel more alive with lights like this (not even real lights, just a couple of layers on top of everything) Even better if the lights change color randomly. Audience could move up and down randomly too.

he should make the audience wave glowsticks to react to good timing and stop waving when you mess up

Post the uncensored version on imgur please

I really like the idea of moving and color-changing spotlights.
I'm already planning on making actual models for the audience who will move and jump and shit during the game.

Fuck off dogposter.

10/10 agdg needs more lewds

Are you the guy who made that chair spinning game last year by any chance?

This

Nope. Why?

looks like a disney dude.

max is better for modelling. you are going to enjoy it.

delet these

If you want the dancing to ever look good you're going to have to work on some sort of procedural animation system.

and fix up the model

C# let me switch on a reference goddamnit I know its just a pointer on the inside.

Whoa, do you have super powers?

And its a FREE max to boot. He is blessed. All I got was free Windows 7, and now that pirates get free Windows 10 I feel even that wasn't worth it.

How did this autist even make it through? I thought sperm banks were heavily regulated and didn't take any random retard's spunk.

wait what? did he receive a free comercial license to use max?

go to sleep shitposter.