/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Computer_specs
crazycatz00.x10host.com/KH/kh2_patches.html/
crazycatz00.x10host.com/KH/kh2_patches.html
github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/1634#issuecomment-229603157
github.com/simias/pksx/commits/master
youtube.com/watch?v=xjqzmpDt_Uc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mednafen SAT when?

HW renderer beta in Beetle PSX when?

What does SAT mean?

And the hw renderer has been in beetle for a while now.

Someone tell me how to get dolphin working with 4 VBAMs to play 4swords multiplayer.
Someone else tell me how to turn turbo off on PJ64 once I've turned it on.

>What does SAT mean?
Saturn.

>And the hw renderer has been in beetle for a while now.
The alpha is, I'm waiting for the next big improvement.

No progress lately, and with the vacations coming don't expect anything new in July either.

I've been trying to get rustation up to speed to improve the renderer there but even though I've made some progress I still have very poor compatibility. I'm still hoping for a big breakthrough.

>No progress lately, and with the vacations coming don't expect anything new in July either.
No problem, take your time.

>I've been trying to get rustation up to speed to improve the renderer there but even though I've made some progress I still have very poor compatibility. I'm still hoping for a big breakthrough.
Wasn't the main problem for even just booting most games in rustation the lack of MDEC emulation?

No, I'm still not sure what the problem is. I seem to have a lot of timing issues, I improved the instruction timing significantly (I'm pretty close to mednafen now except in complicated corner cases) but it still doesn't seem to be good enough.

Debugging it takes time and is tedious. I've received a pocketstation so I'm playing with that for a change. Seems pretty trivial to emulate so far, but we'll see.

So I found a good deal on a Surface 3. But I know jack shit about computer hardware.

How good is this thing for emulators? Microshills say that it's great for gaming, but with 2GB of RAM I find that a little hard to believe.

Depends what you want to emulate. Probably won't handle PS2 or GC. Might be able to handle PS1 and N64.
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Computer_specs

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but /khg/ was no help at all, so I figured here would be my best bet.

I'm trying to use Crazycat00's English patch for Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix ( crazycatz00.x10host.com/KH/kh2_patches.html/ ), and I'm following the instructions to the letter, however when I activate the patcher, and it creates the second "Patched" ISO, the second ISO is only a few megs, nowhere near the 3.5 gigs of the original ISO.

Does anyone know what's causing this, and if there's a way to prevent it?

Maybe the iso you have is a bad rip and doesn't match the MD5 for what the program thinks it should be?
Can you not just find a pre-patched iso?

The only Pre-patched one I can find is from ISOzone, which is a pretty suspect site. As for the original ISO, it's from Emuparadise, which I've generally had good luck with, and the ISO works without the patch just fine.

How does the patcher work? is it commandline or gui? Your link isn't working for me.

crazycatz00.x10host.com/KH/kh2_patches.html

But it's just a commandline, in case it still doesn't work. Put the patch, patcher, and ISO in the same folder, name the ISO "KH2FM.ISO", drag the patch onto the patcher, and it brings up the command line. Then just hit enter, and it runs. It's supposed to create a second ISO Title KH2FM.New.ISO, which it does, but said second ISO is only a few megs.

my friend has one and it's terrible for games. don't fall for it.

OK, so check the MD5 since it's saying in the guide that it won't work if there's a bit out of place.
Make sure that none of the names of any of the pathways (folders included) have any spaces in the names as that can throw off some commandline stuff.

Ah, looks like it's not the right MD5. Shit. And I don't know where else to get an ISO. Do you know any other reliable sites?

Check the emugen wiki under "Need Games?". Otherwise you could get that isozone one. I've never had problems from there.
Kickasstorrents tends to have alright game torrents too.

Thank you very much user, I'll see what I can do.

Isozone is fine, unless you're one of those dumb cunts who still goes places without an adblocker enabled.

Good to know. I'll just be using it for artfaggotry then.

I have a Windows 10 and a GTX 1080, am I good? I heard DX12 is good for games so I upgraded but I don't know if that carries over to emulators. I don't know much about these things. If Win10 is bad for emu's, is there any way I can plug my desktop into my laptop (Windows 8) and channel the power of my card to my laptop? My laptop is an ACER model from around 2013.

Win10 is fine for emulation. Your graphics card matters less than your CPU but will allow you to take full advantage of hardware rendering modes in emulators.
DX12 is not currently a big deal for emulators but I'm sure that in time it will be used. It's just too new at the moment so nobody's worked much with it.

DirectX isn't relevant for emulation

Looks nicer with PCSX2 currently.
I think it has better performance on Dolphin as well, doesn't it?

>Looks nicer with PCSX2 currently.
The OGL plugin is pretty much superior in every way.

>it's from Emuparadise, which I've generally had good luck with
You must be a goddamn leprechaun to have luck that good

Win10 is bad for emulation in a multi-monitor setup, sadly. You can't turn off desktop composition, which forces input lag when you're already gonna be suffering lag from whatever LCD you use. Makes you ever so slightly worse at platformers and F-Zero.

Doesn't have anisotropic filtering as far as I can tell. I agree that it works better for some games though and is less likely to have graphical glitches but for games where there are no glitches it looks better.

I only use one monitor but I guess that would suck.

Also, remember how all those Linux loonies were telling you Microsoft is spying on you for the government, violating your right to privacy and all that tinfoil hat garbage?

Well Microsoft interpreted that as a feature request when they were making Win10.

kek

I find a lot of joy in trying to break emulation, but I didn't even try for this one. I just wanted to play OoT with 8x AA and 16xAF.

I'm trying to play this on PCSX2 but the screen keeps shaking... anyone got any tips?
I've tried different video configurations already and nothing seemed to work, not even software mode or the latest PCSX2 version.

Welcome to tonight's episode of Link and the Amazing Technicolor Ocarina

Press F5 until the result is good or at-the very least better than the screen shaking permanently.

Really don't know why Ganon was doing all that shit in Wind Waker. The so called "desert" it looking pretty green to me

Worked! Thank you! Never thought of trying that, I usually set it to Auto.

It only matters when you're in windowed mode.
I've been using win10+RA+CRT for a few months now and there's no difference.

Thanks doc.

N64 emulation. It just works.

I'm trying to play a hardtype hack of Symphony of the Night on Retroarch Mednafen but it won't load. I tried it on PCSX-R and it works but I'd rather use Mednafen. Any ideas?

What format is the game in, and can you get any other games to load in Mednafen?

BIN/CUE, all other games work fine. I've googled it and saw random people saying it wouldn't work on Mednafen but nothing beyond that.

I know that the translation patch of King's Field doesn't work on Mednafen because of how the patch works. All I can say is open the .cue in Notepad and make sure it's pointing correctly to the .bin, and if it is, just assume it doesn't work with Mednafen and play it in PCSX-R

I know that lots of FF7 hacks actually don't work on Mednafen or real hardware but will check out fine in ePSXe and PCSX-R, it could be more of that.

Yeah I check the .cue's to make sure the .bin names match and everything. Welp, looks like I'll have to use PCSX-R then. Thanks anyway tho.

I hate messing with plugins.

>>I hate messing with plugins.
It's a 2D game. You'll have to go out of your way to break SotN

Well I looked up guides and saw the recommended plugin for 2D games is Edgbla's gpuBladeSoft so I downloaded that and it loads the game fine but if I try to configure it I get pic related. It came with shaders and I want to mess with those and don't know if PCSX-R has anything as good as Retroarch's stuff so I just gave up on it.

Also the recommended Lilypad plugin wouldn't let me bind my joypad exactly how I wanted either? ex; I wanted to bind backdash(triangle) to L1 and it wouldn't work. I dunno what the deal with that is.

You need GTK to use bladsoft's GUI, or you could edit the .ini directly.

Does anyone know if RetroArch is capable of accessing ROMs and/or save files from another PC or a NAS?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to access the same ROMs and saves I have on my desktop (or move them to my NAS) so I don't have to copy them over to my laptop. Is this possible?

github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/1634#issuecomment-229603157
He's right you know. Citra devs have spent so much time nit picking every little PR, that they've been piling up and forks have been left stagnating for months. There's a reason why people on gbatemp and chinese forums have to make their own builds, it's the only way to see some real progress.

It's probably more so quality control.

Obviously the earlier on the worse it's going to be, most of the nitpicks I've seen are over code style/format such as variable names, locations, and basic/braindead optimizations.

Granted it's a small team of people working on it in their free time so you have people making the PRs in that time, waiting for feedback, adjusting that feedback, and repeating this until everyone is happy.

first for interpreters

Is there any link for Retroarch with all the bios and shit already there?

Yeah we get it interpreters are slow.

You can get all the bios you need from the wiki. It's in the OP.

Sorry, Im out of the loop here. Long time since I updated my mame. Do people still use mame for arcade roms? Do the latest arcade games still get dumped in MAME?

In other words, is it possible to play 2015, 2014 arcade games on pc?

>In other words, is it possible to play 2015, 2014 arcade games on pc?
You can play some Taito Type X games on PC, but not through MAME.

And no, nobody uses MAME in general anymore. They use Final Burn Alpha, and if your game only works in MAME and not FBA, it honestly might not even be worth playing.

Dead general. I'm afraid these may be the last days for ol' /emugen/.

Jokes on you, at the rate development is going and anticipating no roadblocks or hiccups whatsoever, I expect the /emugen/ emulator to be complete within under 8 years! I for one am excited to play all our old threads again.

Yes it works fine

How much compability am I losing by setting VU cycle stealing to 1 for MGS2?
Setting it to one level makes the cutscenes in-game run at 100% speed.

I've been wondering about these options too. Do they make games that run slow natively run faster or do they just make it easier if your PC is underpowered?

Both Google Drive and Dropbox can essentially act as a regular directory you keep on both machines and updates when you change them, if you don't mind the space duplication. For my purposes (both this usage and entering a "laptop program" at my college and wanting to finish my assignments at home or wherever I went) I eventually found that Dropbox was a piece of shit and hurt the laptop's performance, but Google Drive turned out well.

I really don't know how it increases the performance, but I have a very, very good cpu and gpu. Hell, I can run Doom 4 on ultra settings, but emulating MGS2 is a harder thing to handle for my computer.
Even on native resolution, the game gets slowdowns on some cutscenes, and the hardware hacks don't help either, especially skipdraw causes garbage in codec screen. VU cycle stealing seems to be the only solution so far, and I can finally get constant 100% speed even on 3x native res. I just hope there won't be any glitches regarding to this.

Probably some slowdowns, if you set it to 1 it shouldn't affect much but regular hardsaves is something you should do just in case.

EE cyclerate is pretty much just emulating an underclocked PS2, so you have the game running in "fake fullspeed" (60VFPS but lower real FPS if you ever used dolphin), you never set it to negative values, if you can't run the game fullspeed that's the only thing that helps you have no business trying to emulate PS2 to begin with, if you use positve values you're actually emulating an overclocked PS2 which brings the reqs up (sometimes way up) but makes the game sometimes run better than the real hardware.

VU cycle stealing has a very variable effect between games you generally want to avoid touching it, ZOE2 becomes choppy and almost unplayable when you use it but R&C3 just goes permanently in 30fps mode with no adverse effects (the game switches internal framerate dynamically ingame) for example but it doesn't have as constant of a drawback as EE cyclerate but the results are not predictable at all when it comes to how well the game will run, compatibility shouldn't change if you stick to 1 at most.

It's fucking magic, just find something that works and don't touch anything until the next thing breaks.

What is pksx?
github.com/simias/pksx/commits/master

I'm gonna go ahead and assumme that's a pocketstation emulator.

I don't know. Why are you asking me?

Regular hardsaves? What are they?
If you mean I shouldn't use save states and use the games own saving system, that's what I do, in fact for any game I never use save states.

>If you mean I shouldn't use save states and use the games own saving system, that's what I do, in fact for any game I never use save states.
Yeah that's what I meant, just save a bit more often so you don't lose too much if the emulator fucks up.

In an interview at the time, Mercury Steam's Dave Cox told Edge, "We needed to make a change, so we did. The Castlevania series wasn't going anywhere, sales were dwindling and it was appealing only to a very small, hardcore fanbase. That's how franchises die... We have to take these risks if Castlevania is to survive, otherwise it's just going to be like Mega Man."

Today, gamers might wonder, what's wrong with being like Mega Man? But, like with many long-running franchises, game companies look for ways to, in their view, revitalize franchises. Whether fans want that, or if they are even necessary, is another matter entirely. But changing 2D games to 3D ends up being low-hanging fruit.

I asked Iga why he wasn't in charge of Lords of Shadow. "We made two 3D Castlevania games," he said. "And to be honest, they didn't turn out so well. Mercury Steam is very skilled at creating beautiful 3D images, so they were brought in to develop the game."

Lord of Shadows was a fantastic way to watch a series die. Play as Dracula the whole time because of a shitty M Night Shamalamadingdong twist, wield the Vampire Killer despite not having the blood of the Belmonts in your veins, bargain bin God of War x Shadow of the Colossus gameplay, all the series music is absent like Bloody Tears, Vampire Killer, and Illusory Dance Battle, Kojima's name tacked onto it even though he literally didn't do anything, and it immediately spawned two of the worst games in the series before completely killing it.

At least Bloodstained will probably deliver us from this Hell.

We can only hope, brother. I hunger for a good platformer/metroidvania.

BECAUSE I FUCKING KNOW NINTENDO WILL DO NOTHING WITH METROID EVER AGAIN.

I was such a diehard fan of the series dammit.

That or it's going to be another Japanese Kickstarter Shovelware title. Just like Mighty No 9

delete this

The demo is out for Kickstarter backers, and it's just SotN in 2.5D with obvious beta assets

Worst case scenario, none of the beta assets get touched up, and we get SotN 2 with shit graphics.

Best case scenario, the assets get touched up, and we get SotN 2 with good graphics.

Other M wasn't that long ago. Starfox went much longer without a game.

If I wanted to have my soul broken apart, Sure.

No one can accept it, but we all know that no one can develop the games the way it was used to be anymore. Including the old developers.
You know it's pretty sad how Julius Belmont didn't get his own game? How he's probably the most badass Belmont ever, and he doesn't even have a spinoff title? I'm afraid of playing Order of Ecclesia. I'm afraid it's going to be the last Castlevania game I'm going to ever taste again. So I just don't play it, and get hyped about it once in a while.

Star Fox 64 was released in 1997. Star Fox 64 3D was released in 2011. In that 14 year gap between the two releases, only three games were released. Star Fox Adventures (Rare's take on The Legend of Zelda with Dinosaurs and a fox as the main character, barely qualifies as a Star Fox title), Star Fox Assault, and Star Fox Command.

Adventures was critically panned and not well received during release or the years after because it was a non-Star Fox game that had Star Fox shoe horned into it at the last second. It also introduced Krystal to the series, who was a super controversial character because everyone hated her and her shitty accent except for people who wanted to fuck her. Very few people belonged in the middle ground of thought.

Assault was a bad game that was pretty alright when you were in the Arwing, and irredeemable trash when you were not in the Arwing. The Arwing sections were not the majority of the game either.

Command was a shit game that was non-canon because the story was so bad and convoluted, had terrible controls, and incorporated some parts of Star Fox 2 that were cool, but ruined them in practice because the game was controlled entirely by the stylus. It was only worth playing if you had a flashcart and pirated it so you could apply patches to it to let you use the D-Pad and buttons to play the game, and even then, it was not worth playing because you had access to a flash cart and every game in the NDS library.

So yeah, it only took Star Fox 14 years of trash before Nintendo remade the only good game in the series and rebooted it. Guess we just gotta champ it out for another 10 years before Metroid gets a good game again.

It's a shame that SF0 wasn't stellar either. I really enjoyed what there as of it but it left me disappointed by the end of my time with it (~12 hours). I haven't 100% completed it but I have got all medals on all the levels that I want to get them all on (all of the 5 medal levels except venom).

Maybe next time Star Fox will be great again.

Order of Ecclesia is the best game in the series. Igarashi and his team knew it was going to be the last Castlevania title they were going to be allowed to make, so they really made it count. You're doing yourself a disservice by not playing it.

Is there any way to get GPSP to have a max ROM buffer of 32 MB? I've read there were ways online, but I'm on the latest version and it's still at 16. My hacked roms larger than 16 MB are crashing at certain points and I think it might be the problem.

Just downloaded Retroarch and I can't get some games to run for GBA.

I've downloaded all the cores available and tried them all and I can't get Golden Sun or Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories to run. I tried Minish Cap and Aria of Sorrow and they both worked, but as soon as I hit "run" for the former two the program just closes and nothing happens.

Anyone know what to do?

anyone else having problems with the newest version of Dolphin making dualshock 3 controllers unresponsive?

Get the bios file and stick it in the right folder. Then turn on the skip bios option.
Which core are you using? I've assumed mGBA.

Where is the skip bios option? And like I said, I was trying all of them trying to get it to work. Is there one that I should be using?

Open a game that does work. Press f8 to get to core options.
Use mGBA.

I actually can't get any game to run with mGBA. And on my version F8 takes a screenshot? I'm using Retroarch 1.3.4.

Other people have told me similar. Look for the button that gives you quick menu then. I must have changed mine. If you're using an xbox controller then the home button might do it automatically.
Did you get a bios yet?

I had the bios already from another "solution" I found while googleing the problem.
And I figured out how to get to the menu and get the option turned on, but now I can't get those 4 games I mentioned before that I was using while messing with options to open. Other games open fine.
Are they trying to open using the other cores I deleted?

>youtube.com/watch?v=xjqzmpDt_Uc

whew

They might be. I don't actually use RA to select games to play. I run everything through a different frontend.
Try manually selecting the core and then selecting the game I guess.

I was just about to reply that I finally got it to work by manually selecting the core and game. Thank you for the help!

You're welcome. I had similar problems with GBA initially.

dolphin 5.0 can't read my controller for some reason (Logitech F310)
Like, it recognizes it's there but I can't do shit with the controller config

Don't know if this is a common problem, but does anyone know what "d3dx9_38.dll" is. When I try to start snes9x-x64, it won't let me saying that is missing.