/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Poschengband 5.0.0 released (breaks save compatibility!)
angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=111423&postcount=233

Vanilla Angband Comp(until July 6)
Elf Warrior with a permacursed Deathwreaker:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

Junethack is ongoing for the rest of June: junethack.net/

DCSS Trunk Updates:
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-12-june-2016

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34 (embed)
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f (embed)

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/pkf1qnuZ (embed)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rebbit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/4pdc77/help_needed_w_vanilla_bagel_the_roguelike/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Coolthulhu

Second for Vanilla Bagel.

>all those commands on the left side
holy moly

Going from DCSS to PCB is a mindfuck. Guess i need to study before i play this competently.
>died at outpost
could i suck any harder? fuck

It was inevitable.

just go to the level 1 dungeon to the right of town

or get the quest from the town hall. warrior-types can probably take it at level 1 with a few healing potions but weaker characters can wait

READ THE PASTEBIN
E
A
D

T
H
E

P
A
S
T
E
B
I
N

Don't do it, it's a rootkit.

Yeah, I'm not liking how the commands are setup. The init file is really dumb too. There are some mouse controls and I'm thoroughly disgusted by them. So far it just seems like you examine stuff with the mouse, and move/pickup stuff if you want. Obviously, you can move and pickup stuff with keyboard commands but I don't see a way to examine stuff with a keyboard command. Super lame. We bought a fake crown from a scrub to sell at this fair for dosh. Lets see how that goes.

Thanks, got something to do at work today now.
If only the work PCs werent locked from downloading. cant even play DCSS online. Facism

all of the virus scanners say it's ok

I hate this already. Seems linear and gay.

You can't ssh?

That's because it's crafty.
It secretly downloads DP on your hard-drive and then they send you ransom demands or they'll start sending all your dirty, dirty DP to everyone on your mailing lists.

In Cata does pulping/smashing zombie corpses do the same as butchering them?

It's faster.

We trade our fake crown for a fake sword of heroes. It says its corrosion proof, so that is something I guess. I'm going to try to find a dungeon before I post again so we can see the meat and potatoes.

It has a world map that I used to travel to the fair. Just like Tome's. I started with 1 coin and you can trade it for a variety of stuff. I could have gotten a teleport tablet or some other stuff but I thought the fake crown might be fun.

This should help you rebbit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/4pdc77/help_needed_w_vanilla_bagel_the_roguelike/

>drink potion of intelligence
>still 3 int
thanks chris

>int 3
>windows 10
pottery

Mouse controls are great though?

so they're zerkers that play like zerkers but aren't really zerkers
sounds fun

>Seems linear
Based on literally what?

Mouse controls are awesome as long as they don't prohibit you from playing with solely the keyboard in a game which can be played with solely the keyboard.
If I can't do everything by keys in a roguelike it's pretty damned annoying.

no everything fun is blocked aside from wiki and ahis but most are unreadable on the old ass version of IE7 or some shit.

i guess they're like android berserkers
but with -speed and a 1/66 chance to aggravate on each step

>1/66
does chris have a fetish for 6s?

So we jump into the pit of death in the fair because I didn't want to go to the world map again. We fight a goblin, some gnome looking dudes and this imp who stole a bunch of my shit. He dodged a bunch but never hit us so we kill him and level up. Its pretty interesting that I can get move speed and attack speed. I haven't messed with the tactics yet, but they seem to be just like Adom's. Of particular note is one that lets you spend exp to guarantee that your attacks hit 100% of the time. That is pretty cool and I'm sure it'll come in handy. Combat was typical bump the dudes.

I'm not a fan if I can't use the keyboard 100% of the time. Its more precise and I can't accidentally click on the map and move or whatever.

I'll check that out in a bit. Hopefully it'll give me some idea of where to go. r/roguelikes is usually ok, but there are always baddies and so on.

Because making tons of things 1/6, 1/66, 1/666, 1/7, 1/77, 1/777 is hilarious.

>This russian shit again...

cuka blyat hohol

>hoihoi

kurva idi nahui

i like how the developer strictly wants it to be a roguelike by putting 'The Roguelike' on the name.

>thats not how it works...

>putting 'The Roguelike' on the name.

It sound more official like that.
Strong, like alcoholic bear!

So we leveled up our movement twice, gathered some potions and went down. Encountered a rotting boar, who has attacks that give us speed maluses? I am unsure on how to cure this. Anyway, we juke him and we're going back down. There isn't an obvious way out so I have to dive.

>You crack open the bear!!!
>The bear dies.

>russians
I knew this was all their fault.

>It sound more official like that.
It sounds desparate and gay. He also put that for retarded steam kids.
Trully only a retarded person would think this is a roguelike.

btw hows that russian dick taste like?

It appears I chose the wrong dungeon. The boar was strong enough to end us, but now we encountered this guy. We're fast enough to move away with ease, but combat is a little odd. Once you start attacking, it seems you have a hard time moving away from the enemy. They seem to get a free attack and then you're free to try to move. In addition, attacking gives fatigue. No idea what that does, but I'll die long before we know.

Clearly an orchestration by the kremlin trolls.
Nothing else could explain such systematic shitposting.
Free and open-source roguelikes are too communist and remind them of the shit times.

>decide to look at some random posts on the cdda forums for a lark
Wow, are all Cataclysm players poets?

>Consume kobold
That sounds silly.

That's a perfect shitku.

>tfw you have to share /rlg/ with literal autists

He's a russian using google translate for all his posts.

That's what she said.

I heard Kevin Granade comes here and talks about his Vanilla Bagel adventures.

Next time we'll go to those smothering caves, wherever they are. This place is a death trap. Kind of neat though, he shot a branch at us and it homed in as we ran away. Followed us around the bend and everything. No idea what the hell I'm doing in this game, but I'll give it another shot later. It is indeed roguelike and seems alright. I wish there was actual documentation so I could know more about the mechanics, but such is our genre.

You can eat corpses to gain powers, much like nethack and adom. I only ate 1 heart from some random thing and it didn't kill or buff me. Probably have to find something crazier to eat.

damn that's deep
really makes you think....

>People are actually playing Neapolitan Cone

>really makes you drink...

ftfy since it's a Russian poster.

>people
I wouldn't be so generous as to call them that.

Please don't do this. It's impossible to filter.

>Neapolitan Cone
Surely you mean Strawberry Poptart right?

Guys, need a bit of help here.

I've just found a scroll of acquiring and I don't know what to go for.

I'm playing pretty much a pure caster at the moment.
If I go for staves, would it give me an Air staff if my Air magic is highest?

Should I stick with the Always Acquire Armor crap?

Should I get a wand and hope for healing?

Fuck what should I go for? I kind of want the Air staff but I dunno man, if I get literally anything other than Air then I've wasted my time with it.

I ain't moving until you guys respond so please reply with some degree of haste.

>muh safe space

>Play a roguelike
>Endless shitposting about said roguelike because it wasn't made 20 years ago for free
I love you guys.

>Strawberry Poptart
also a male striper.

Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.

WAND
A
N
D

Wand or weapon.

>Play a roguelike
you mean roguelight at best.

Post your inventory and equipment

>only *I* am allowed to shitpost!!!

I can't, I'm in the middle of acquiring something, can't do shit yet.

>who is Kevin Granade?

You fucking.. Well do this then
If your armor is shit, including everything, torso, feet, etc.. get armor
If not, then if your weapon is shit, get that
If neither of thoose, get wand
Jewelry and other shit is not worth it unless in a real need and in a real tight spot

My armor is shit. I have regular boots, gloves and helmet. None enchanted.
I have a +0 robe with +MR.
That's quite literally all.

Armor it is then?

>I was only 9 years old
>I loved Granade so much, I had all the merchandise and movies
>I pray to Granade every night before bed, thanking him for the life I've been given
>"Granade is love" I say; "Granade is life"
>My dad hears me and calls me a faggot
>I know he was just jealous of my devotion for Granade
>I called him a cunt
>He slaps me and sends me to go to sleep
>I'm crying now, and my face hurts
>I lay in bed and it's really cold
>Suddenly, a warmth is moving towards me
>It's Granade
>I am so happy
He whispers into my ear "Remove fursuits"
>He grabs me with his powerful dildo hands and puts me down onto my hands and knees
>I'm ready
>I spread my ass-cheeks for Granade
>He penetrates my butt-hole
>It hurts so much but I do it for Granade
>I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water
>I push against his force
>I want to please Granade
>He roars in a mighty roar as he fills my butt with his love
>My dad walks in
>Granade looks him straight in the eyes and says "BUGFIXES"
>Shrek leaves through my window
>Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

>not roleplaying as yourself and acquiring food

DO IT

>Shrek leaves through my window
>Shrek is love. Shrek is life.
SOILED IT

Granade is Shrek though.

But it is a roguelike. It is gridbased, turnbased with permadeath. Dungeons are randomly generated and it has all the hallmarks of other roguelikes.

Everything went better than expected. Got those nifty gloves

Have you ever reached a point in your life where you don't enjoy videogames anymore

Posting the two demon comics I've mined from the forums, anybody know of any more?

Yes.

so any torrent/mega for vanillin shekel yet?

Yeah, I usually stop playing them when I feel like that and go outside.

Wait shit, which floor were you on?

>go outside.

Lair 1.

O well.. Just for future notice, always wait with acq till you finish lair and orc atleast, but i guess you read id'd it

I tried playing DCSS. I do not mind the high difficulty or the near-bullshit amount of RNG involved, but what I can't handle at all is the fact that dying means starting all over from the beginning
It makes playing this game tremendously frustrating, since it feels like the tiniest mistake or new thing that I discover and misjudge makes have to start all over again, with all the boredom that such things comes with. I know it is an important feature of these games, but such thing is also the only aspect I hate about them, even when i love the rest
so with that said, and before I start cheating like a scrub by making backups of my save, what other roguelike could I play that simply doesn't have permanent death?

I like how the raicho acts as if its conversion requirement is difficult.

Yeah I read ID'd it.
Why do you wait until after those two areas though?

Great bait post bud.

>that simply doesn't have permanent death?
Where do you think you are?

>what other roguelike could I play that simply doesn't have permanent death

Go play Elona and have fun grinding faggot.

Why would you ever wait on reading acquire? Potential loot right now >>> loot later.

why would you respond
this general fucking sucks