/gogl/ - Gaming on GNU/Linux

Pros:
You'll get better performances on Linux than Windows once devs port the games.
Your system is malware free.
Your system won't crash as much as Windows do.
By not buying Windows you can use the money to buy games instead.

Remember, no tux, no bux:
1.Don't trust a company when they promise a linux release, wait until the official release.
2.Don't be ashamed to post on the game forum or steam discussions for telling developers to port a game you wanna play on linux.
3.Wine is great when you want old tittles or that aren't high on resources, but is not the final solution. You're not sure the game will run or might have some issues.
4.The unique solution to gaming on linux is to force developers using openGL / vulkan / game engines permitting a cross platform software.
5.When you see a developer supporting Linux promote him as much as you can on forums, write about him on your blog, tell your friends how much you appreciate what he does. Remember, Gabe Newell believes in you.

>Steam
github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux

>GOG.com
webupd8.org/2014/08/lgogdownloader-command-line-gogcom-game.html

>Thread on /t/ (Torrents) on ported videogames
>News and Reviews
gamingonlinux.com
lgdb.org/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

>GNU/Linux open source games
penguspy.com
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw

>Wine wiki
wiki.winehq.org/Main_Page
>Wine Staging (latest and experimental features for Wine)
github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation
>Database of applications running in Wine
appdb.winehq.org/

>PCI/GPU Passthrough
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU
youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2lkPpoAhE
wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2z0evz/gpu_passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/365450/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Previous thread Until more people start to notice us remember to bump because OP can't.

I like this idea. I mostly use wine

Which games? I mostly use it for Vampire the Masquerade and didn't remember running it so smooth btw.

Does anyone else have a GPU passthrough set up?

Hacknet is on sale
store.steampowered.com/app/365450/

>Hacknet is a terminal-based hacking game using real UNIX commands and abstractions of real hacking processes. The game tells the tale of Bit, a hacker responsible for creating the most invasive security system on the planet. When he is murdered, his failsafe kicks in, sending instructions to a lone user who can help unravel the mystery and ensure that Hacknet-OS doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.

Some anons say Hacknet is somewhat more realistical than Uplink, and Uplink was interesting.

Gaben removing DRM would be the best shit ever. Sadly, he's not the hero we need.

When osu is fully open source, will it be ported to Linux quickly?

I'm not sure, if people insist enough maybe he will. We have GOG anyway, and that is good enough for now.

Of course, did they say anything about it possibly moving to OSS?

Make way for the comfiest game

I'm just leaving this here phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=1

/r/linux_gaming

Shameless

I'm leaving this thread because of you.

I got vampire running smoothly, audio kinda gunky but I don't know if that's just due to age. Used wine 1.7.55

Yea, fuck communities that have good news, info, and industry regulars!

I got 1.6 and it runs fine, is a classic ;^)

>when the city celebrates the first bus
Nostalgia tbqh m87

That's beside the point. If I wanted to be there, then I would be there.

If I wanted to discuss a gaming platform that doesn't have any games I'd post in one of the PS4 generals.

Singularity is another game with a similar topic, is simple but so much fun.

>a gaming platform that doesn't have any games
Have you seen the OP m8?

>muh tribe

Since I found it a chore to have to go through looking for windows games that play nice with wine, here's what I've gotten running (mostly) smoothly.
Democracy 3,
Planetside 2 (Was slow for me before I switched to linux, no guarantee it hasn't slowed down more for me),
League of Legends (But DOTA is supported natively),
Path of Exile,
Stalker (Via wineing steam),
Stellaris if you're a dirty pirate you can wine the windows torrents,
Tera (Runs slower IIRC)
Skyrim
Can't guarantee I didn't follow some obscure directions to get a few of these to run, but if I managed to find them it shouldn't be too hard to find.

What are the minimum specs for Stalker and Skyrim? Did it needed some tweaks to run?

Working on it.

I wish there was a laptop that came all the things set up. Like proper mobo, CPU and GPU combination

Not sure on min specs for either, runs with a gtx 660m (Using laptop, 660m is not comparable to 660) and an i7
For skyrim I use 1.7.36, and run it through steam. Steam requires a bit of coercion to show text.
For Stalker I use 1.7.42, also through steam.

If you have the problem with no text on steam run it as wine /path/to/Steam.exe -no-dwrite, I've seen other fixes say to disable dwrite.dll.

I haven't seen anyone do a passthrough on a laptop, but that sounds like a fun project. I saw someone that was thinking about trying a passthough with one of those external GPU enclosures that plugs into a minipcie connector.

I have mine set up so that I can play a game in GNU/Linux as my friend plays a game in the passthrough. While doing that I have maxed out all 16gb of ram in my computer a few times.

neat