/4xg/ - Stellaris, Civilization & 4X Strategy General

Insane Russian qt Edition

>Stellaris OP:
pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh (embed)

>Stellaris Mod Archive
mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg

>What is stellaris?
A 4x game developed by paradox development studios.

>Stellaris Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris

>Where is the white only mods/patch
Ask in the thread.

>/civ4xg/ OP:
pastebin.com/P5XCTQx9 (embed)

>Civilization VI trailer with release date:
[YouTube] Civilization 6 - Official Announcement Trailer

>More info on Civ VI:
pcgamer.com/civilization-6-everything-you-need-to-know/
ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/three-ways-sid-meiers-civilization-6-radically-reinvents-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy
gamespot.com/articles/civilization-6-revealed-brings-major-changes/1100-6439691/
well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html

Hit by a Tachyon Lance:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lDv8_gKSosU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun#Materials_used
youtube.com/watch?v=F6ioLh7boMc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>no megumin empire

Second(?) for civ husbando

You think we'll have Brynhildr as a Viking civ leader
I mean it's legendary but whatever they put fucking Dido in so...

Why would you take any military ethos/government when taking power is far more important?

>-20% army upkeep or -5% ship upkeep or -10% ship cost
>military ethos is only 10% damage

You can get +35% power if you take the right traits/ethos/government which is far more useful for any military faction. By the time you hit 1,000 power thats 350 more power you can pump right back into your ships to ensure you can can sustain more without going into a power debt.

Apart from roleplaying everything military based is weak as fuck.

I remember Kinetics being pretty shit in Stellaris, did the patch fix that? Do I still gimp myself if I just glue huge guns to my spaceships?

They are still objectively shit in comparison to lasers

But are better than they were before, so you can 'sort of' justify using them. They now actually deal bonus damage to shields.

If I kill the Nomads do they give any rare techs?

Isn't Dido supposed to be the founder of Carthage though? They didn't put jut one random legend

>a fuckmassive rod of something moving at a significant fraction the speed of light doesn't instantly disintegrate both the thing that fired it and the ship it hits

Yeah but Bryn isn't a nobody lineage wise either
She's Aslaug's mommy which makes her Ragnar Lodbrok's mother-in-law.

>I get a relationship penalty for having close borders instead of getting a reward for open
WHAT KEKERY IS THIS

Is stellaris finaly finished? Is it finaly fun?
Should I buy it now?

>Is stellaris finaly finished? Is it finaly fun?
Yes buy buy buy give the shekles
no

>Finally finished
That will still take at least a year, knowing Paradox.

Longships are so much fun to play with in NQ Mod!

There's no friction in space and it's fired with magnets according to the tech description

thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=lDv8_gKSosU

>no friction in space
You mean air resistance or something
That's not the problem here, it's the recoil and shock from something that massive getting fired that fast., by all rights the gun should essentially disappear.

no; no; no

Just because there's no friction due to lack of air doesn't mean there's no counterforce. Action=reaction. See also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun#Materials_used

That being said, if you consider the railgun as being part of the entire ship and sufficiently integrated, you can consider the entire ship as part of the reaction mass. (Instead of the gun slamming back into the ship). If this is the case, you have a very large mass to "counter" the recoil. m*a has high a and relatively low m for the projectiles in the railgun, whereas the ship will experience m*a with relatively high m and thus lower a.

I guess it's a matter of how you imagine it, I'm more thinking that the railgun itself would experience such a high acceleration that it would be unable to transfer it to the ship fast enough to avoid being blown apart
I guess lmao future materials is enough for that though

Its vibranium lined with elements from a neutron star and dark matter :^)

>elements from a neutron star
>neutron star
>elements

Not like Parashit knows any better

>download 1.2 in the middle of Tyranid invasion
>every sector has a slave revolt
>purge 400+ pops in a single pause
>build synth pops in their place because I know they'll never revolt
IS THIS WHAT YOU FUCKING WANTED PARADOX YOU FUCKING CLOWNS
WHAT IF I WANT TO ROLEPLAY A FANATIC SPIRITUALIST COLLECTIVIST GOD KING

Jesus fucking christ. Muh multiplayer "balance".

>Let's double weapon range! That will make things more balanced!

Pic related enemy losing all his fleet despite me getting FTL snared and still winning a battle against a similar fleet power with exactly 0 losses.

Honestly, I care more about sound game mechanics.

But we don't have those either, so yeah.

Technically speaking there are probably still protons in the outer layer, meaning there are "elements". Then again, a neutron star is not exactly ordinary matter anyway.

And this happens without getting FTL snared and playing chess against the AI so he can't fucking run away, 0 damage, that was a 20k fleet.

1.3 when?

Another fun thing
"Admiral, the enemy fleet FTL jumped to a neighbouring system, fleet is prepping for jump to follow"
>NO, GET THOSE TWO SCIENCE VESSELS, THE CONSTRUCTOR SHIP AND THE THREE MINING STATIONS FIRST

Well Neutron stars have gotten to the point where they're THIS close to breaking physics in half with their gravity so yeah

WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN A TRADE AGREEMENT WITH ENGLAND?

Is Endless Legend a good game for a 4X Newfag like myself?

Are backgrounds just paintings now? I liked Civ V style more

There is neutronium in the game and dark matter

Yeah they're just watercolor-ish paintings
Civ V did a lot of things wrong but the graphics style was spot-on.

I know, it's all memes.

>tfw still no empire borders for mac

>Using Mac
You deserve this.

Well now top tier weapons worth efforts to get them. Isn't this good?

Too expensive.

So, what are they using their income for? Civ games sell a lot and I don't think I saw a feature in Civ VI where they put a lot of money to it, graphics look like it's a mobile game for fucks sake

Lances were good even with 60 range and you couldn't go just full range against fast ships.
Now dodge rate has been nerfed hard and AI ships hardly ever dodge my kinetic accelerator shots meaning I can or more like I have to make pure builds which is boring as fuck.

recouping dev costs of beyond earth

Also anything smaller than a battleship is now useless since they don't have the HP/Armor to withstand the barrage. Shields are a joke after cruisers.

>>a fuckmassive rod of something moving at a significant fraction the speed of light doesn't instantly disintegrate both the thing that fired it and the ship it hits
It would float in the barrel of a mass accelerator. It can't destroy what it doesn't even touch. The problem with terrestrial railguns destroying themselves is due to the air in the gun, even if the projectile proper never seat itself on the barrel it's moving through air creating significant delta pressure and heat. That problem doesn't exist in space.

>It can't destroy what it doesn't even touch.
Counterforce lad, that's what I was thinking of. The actual magnets would pull themselves apart as far as I care, but then again I don't actually know how big these ships are. Railguns aren't comparable to mass drivers, as far as energies involved.

>what are they using their income for
Did you think the money earned would be uised to make a BETTER game?

The concept is to make a barely viable one to maximize shekel gains.

youtube.com/watch?v=F6ioLh7boMc

It's the heat and pressure that fucks with railguns.

>counterforce
Worked around by having long barrels and an acceleration period exponentially longer than solid fuel projectiles.

Lad.. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Magnets are no exemption to this.

What does it do if I give them 200 credits?

>Worked around by having long barrels and an acceleration period exponentially longer than solid fuel projectiles
DOES it have a long acceleration period, because fuck I don't think so unless you got a gun literally tens to hundreds of kilometers long.

Just ignore the lib. arts "physicist"

It becomes habitable. I mean, at 4k credits and +55, what have you to lose.

Destroyers are userfull for interceptor and raider squadrons. BBs are fucking sloooooooow.

You mean cruisers?
The answer is no. Battleships have 120 range, speed has no relevance.
Fighter/bombers take too long to reach their destination and deal laughable damage.
Also get countered hard by 1-2 flak.

He means actually catching and tying down the enemy

There are two theoretical ways to make railguns not rip themselves apart:
1.) Long barrels with much more gradual acceleration
2.) Developing tougher materials for the gun
That's it. Nothing I'm saying is controversial.

>Fighter/bombers take too long to reach their destination and deal laughable damage.
Just adapt phams
Fill a cruiser with fighter wings and PDs and throw it on the front line with the Corvs

wtb sexual favors

Yeah and the thing is, mass drivers are supposed to be at an exceptional fraction of the speed of light. How long is the damn barrel?

I don't understand how to get anywhere in this game without being a massive space douche.
I'm doing my first peaceful playthrough but no one likes me enough for me to make any deals

how2peace?

>Sacrifice the same amount of fleet points and maintenance for 90% less damage.

How about fucking no? The game is broken and the only use of fighter/bombers is to harass space stations. And they even suck at that.

It's impossible to make friends with everyone, because some are just xenophobic assholes.

Your best bet is to pick the biggest xenophobic asshole disliked by the most people, declare rivalry against him, and then everyone will go enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend on you.

Also just give them money and credits.

>play long lived turtle people with fanatic collectivism and xenophobia using hyperlanes
>enslaving all of the alien pops and scrounging tech from their ships
>get a cozy star empire going in my corner of the galaxy with a couple of vassals
>the next empire I find is a fallen empire that is a xenophile
>Not long after get a popup demanding I stop enslaving and purging aliums
Goddamn xenosympathizers ruining my slave empire

The ships look like they're similar in size to small planets, or at least moons. The guns are probably colossal.

How do you manage to run a slave empire? I guess collectivism helps, but with xenophobia alone it's basically impossible. One pop will randomly switch from xenophobe to xenophile or individualist despite having negative ethics divergence and then he'll agitate even your docile slaves non-stop.

He is right tho
Twice the barrel means half the accelaration RATIO
This means you get the 1/3 of the force because differential equations that I am not going to bother explaining since I am just done with semester exams
Thats 66% Force less for each time you double the length of the barrel nigger
So if say you quadruppel the barrel you get 1/10th of the force
This of course means x4 the firing time and the time that the force is applied so you decrease your fire rate and you probably need some stabilization systems or you will be spinning around

I mean destroyers. They can mount 120 range too.

>speed has no relevance.
Did you ever see how how BBs raid system? You could fall asleep waiting till they crawl into shooting range of enemy station after combat starts. Destroyers zip around system and kill enemy stations like 3 times faster.

>The game is broken and the only use of fighter/bombers is to harass space stations.
Some fighters in fleet are ok as PD weapons.

No wait I am a bit drunk
It is 1/4 for every time you double the barrel

Honestly I'm still trying to sort out how to deal with a slave empire, I'm tempted to purge diverging pops while having information quarantine policy up
I also have decent defending armies so any slave revolts are promptly crushed. It is my first time running a game using slavery so I'm pretty clueless honestly

Yeah but still
I mean I'm assuming that destroyers being the size of Titan or battleships being the size of Neptune is just exaggeration or something, I doubt the crew even be able to really operate that ship without getting severely affected by its own gravitational field.

Thank you user, It didn't take long before empires started sending non-aggression pacts my way

What's the next step? Guarantee independence?

Non-aggression pacts drive up trust. Guaranteeing independence will make that a little faster, but it costs influence. I think defensive pacts don't cost influence.
Get trust high and it will drive up your relations. Add more mutual enemies and you can get alliances with personality types that are predisposed to personality types. Hell, I once got a hivemind to ally with me by having two mutual rivals.

Gravitational force has to do nothing with the size
It has to do with mass and a judging from our experience a vessel would be at least 70% thin air

I don't think you should base the ship scale on game graphics. Otherwise planets are on the same order of magnitude in size as stars.

Plus if they're making "tachyon lances" they've probably figured out how to control gravity in such an artificial environment.

>barbarians will use horses if their encampment is near horses
This will make it a lot more immersive. I wonder if iron will have a similar effect.

Yeah, that's a good point. Paradox games have always had pretty abstract game pieces, and it's not like that's unusual in 4x games.

>Random some empire because who even cares I got rid of influence problems
>Fanatic Xenophobe, Collectivist
>First empire I come across is Enigmatic Observers
>Every single other neighbor is fanatic xenophile
>Even that little blobbing shit putting a frontier outpost LITERALLY inside the observers' space
I guess it's another genocide crusade, ain't it?
I don't think I'll ever be able to use diplomacy in an effective way

I'm not an idiot, but presumably you're making this thing out of of what, iron? Steel? Crystal? And it's armored too, so it isn't just a tiny as fuck shell. If you had something that was 30% "full" the size of Neptune made of pure normal non-condensed iron at room temperature it'd be like twice as massive as Neptune.

Right makes sense.
>black holes with EH's the size of Rigel
>"""stellar black hole""""
Wew

Doesn't fanatic xenophile help overcome the diplo penalty for being xenophobic?
It's like +40

Yes, it's a +40 to my -40, and then -30 for the purge politics

Why the fuck would you make a scifi spaceship out of iron?
It's probably a mythical steel alloy that's lighter than real steel, or maybe an imaginary space metal.

Lots of assumptions but still not important
Even so most of the gravitational forces for an object inside the ship would nullify each other due to cyllindrical symmetry

I guess...
I mean this is probably my issue for trying to take scifi that doesn't specify anything seriously but yeah

How about this reason to not make them that big:
It would take forever to build and you'd need an imperial shittonne of resources to build one that size too.

I still don't get the obsession with resources in the spess age, especially "terraforming gases". What the fuck is a terraforming gas supposed to be and why can't we just siphon it out of Jupiter?

I plugged the numbers into wolfram alpha and a ship with the volume of Neptune and 70% empty space, made of iron or steel, would have almost 1.5x the mass of Neptune. That's without accounting for the mass of the air inside.
If you made it out of aluminum instead it would be 0.49x the mass of Neptune.

So let's just assume the sizes we see in-game are abstractions.

So how do I deal with conquered planets if I'm not some kind of genocidal bastard? The unhappines never ever stops. Do I just give up and only liberate/vassalize enemies?

>needing to plug it into wolfram alpha
Just multiply the density of iron by .3 then compare it to the mean density of Neptune.

>I still don't get the obsession with resources in the spess age
What's not to get? The only way to make resources unimportant is to achieve a post-scarcity society, which requires both infinite free energy and some way to safely transform that energy into matter of any kind.
Terraforming gases are probably a gameplay conceit, though. You can only terraform planets that already have breathable nitrogen-oxygen atmospheres.

Huh, I didn't think of that. Good to know for the future.

>encampment near uranium
>barbarian giant death robots
that actually brings something up, I hope that they dont have some super future crap like that and xcom troopers in there. I'd love for a bit of semi-future stuff obtainable in the next few years, like exo-suit troops, but not some sci-fi stuff.

>The unhappines never ever stops.
It does, it just takes a while.

If you watched the dev diaries from a year ago they mentioned that the sizes of ships and planets aren't on a 1:1 scale obviously. Also destroyed ships "sinking" were a development choice.

It's a real pity though they gave so little shit about the aesthetic of space battles.
I still remember how I shat my pants in Homeworld 2 when I heard metal screaming every time a capital ship got destroyed.
Small stuff like this is what I want from spess games. And I get this.

I actually have no opinion on this because the late game is too fucking boring for me to ever reach those techs.

And stuff like this this.

totally understandable, I cant think of a single person that enjoys the late game of civ, especially when you get future tech+. theres no real siege breakers outside of nukes, but even then it barely matters. I would love if they did something to the endgame, for domination especially.

Isn't domination the most fun? At least you're doing something.
I was doing a one-city game as Poland and having a ton of fun until I hit the Modern era. I don't have any choices left to make, it's just a matter of rushing the techs I need to boost tourism while keeping my military strong enough to ward off the Aztecs. In the Renaissance and Industrial eras I was tracking my GPP for artists and writers and keeping an eye out for good trades to get my theming bonuses while collecting artifacts, but now it's literally just waiting for techs and trying to figure out if I can get a culture victory before France wins a score victory.

I hope they do have such future unis. Games rarely get to that point, but it's good to know that in the rare instance that they did technology doesn't simply become pointless. There is almost always something powerful to research.