You have 10 seconds to name a bigger meme philosopher

you have 10 seconds to name a bigger meme philosopher

Plato

Sam Harris

no one knows who that is, while everyone knows who gnome chumpsky is

Zizek

The most important thing in judging the grammatical validity of a sentence is how it sounds. If it doesn't SOUND good, it's wrong, even if all the grammarians in the world can find no fault with it. If it does sound good, on the other hand, a good writer will use it no matter what the grammarians might say, and they will have to modify their grammar afterwards to account for how he used it. Speaking comes first, even historically, and grammar much later, not the other way around, as Chomsky and his followers still seem unable to understand. Woe to the race of beings who waited for grammarians to invent a language before they began to talk! Woe to the child who must learn their rules before being allowed to open its mouth and say "mommy"! Language is a living thing, and what the Chomskyans are busy "analyzing" is so unreal it's not even dead. Theory comes AFTER action, not the other way around, and a priori knowledge of the kind which all philosophers (aside from our lord and master) have been hitherto fond of is no concept that can be grasped at all but a contradictio in adjecto.

zizek. At least Chomsky is readable. Zizek is just shit.

>not spookman

Congratulations. You win.

Zizek is far better than Chomsky. Go actually read his stuff instead of listening him talk, he isn't a good speaker. He is much more comprehensive and smarter than Chomsky. Chomsky is just butthurt.
Read his book instead of believing memes about him.
Ayn Rand

>Ayn Rand
This right here. I've never seen a more vapid, vacuous cunt be skyrocketed to fame for their philosophy.

It's understandable why it is, it appeals to Americans thoroughly brainwashed by capitalist propaganda, but it's frustrating nonetheless.

does Ray Comfort count with his banana

My picks:
- Daniel Dennet
- Peter Sloterdijk

Richard Dawkins

Ayn Rand

Nietzsche

Abraham

Another:
-Marx

I am admittedly not an comprehensive expert on NC's linguistic theories, but my understanding of what Universal Grammar (if that's what you're getting at) means is that it's NOT what you are characterizing it as.

>waited for grammarians to invent a language before they began to talk!
No serious linguist is suggesting this.

UG is simply the idea that human brains are hard-wired to form/recognize grammar. That grammar is not even specific, just that the ability is there. Syntax and lexis obviously vary. Personally, I view it less a 'hard' theory than a basic explanation. The human brain is pretty incredible hardware and among its many tasks is always looking for patterns, of which language is one.

Zizek

Ayn Rand

Sam Hyde

Pretty sure most Americans don't even know she exists

Calling someone a big meme philosopher is a compliment. All human knowledge is comprised of memes and spreading the strongest memes you can in your lifetime is the goal of a public intellectual.

You know, there is a lot of ignorance about language and linguistics these days, especially on this board, but this post is on another level entirely.

Explain

t.platofag

>implying there exists a philosopher who isn't a hack

Nothing anyone said ever mattered

>le spook man