Why does Potestantism seem so authentic and personal while Catholicism seems like nothing but endless rituals...

Why does Potestantism seem so authentic and personal while Catholicism seems like nothing but endless rituals? I really think Protestantism gets closer to the original spirit of Christianity with small groups of believers rather than literally going through the motions in some huge cathedral.

as a protestant, even I know this is bait

Because that's the truth
Anglicans don't count

Reminder that luther did nothing wrong, he just exposed roman catholicism and pope

This

>mimicking some ancient myth written 2000 years ago by a foreign race on another continent
>"authentic"

>tricked by complete hogwash fed to you by con artists
>"personal"

>megachurches, frenzy revivals, faith healing
>"original spirit"

Real protestantism (Lutheranism, Calvinism) is very ritualistic, much like Catholicism. It's those kooky American cults that go on about "muh spirituality" and "muh personal Jesus" and other nonsense.

And for some reason people still base their protestant stereotypes on these American faggots.

*tips fedora*

>Calvinism
>very ritualistic
>Calvin "no images or instruments allowed" ism is ritualistic

Everything good about Christianity comes from Catholicism's ritual structure.

Protestantism may be closer to the teachings of Jesus, but Jesus was awful.

You obviously don't know much about Calvinism and especially Presbyterianism then.

Actually scratch that, you don't know much about anything considering you think images are rituals.

>small group of believers
Reminder that the maximum size of a congregation is three people: "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." (Matt. 18:20)

Like mindlessly saying Hail Marys?

Protestants put money in PR and influencing governments, Catholics put money into cathedrals.

>Catholics don't put money into influencing governments

What is especially great about Protestantism is it's push towards a personal experience of the divine. This has historical precedence as well in the Gnostic-like sects.

The protestants have a great theology because of its inherent openness to interpretation. In this way, it allows their personal spiritual realities to manifest without the encumbering aspects of the more hierarchical branches of Christianity.

>maximum size
It seems more like you established a minimum..... heretic. This is why we need catholics.

Blah blah blah
Daily BAIT
blah blah blah

Public Service Announcement
You must be 18 years of age to post on Veeky Forums

>mindlessly
Someone hasn't said the rosary before.

There doesn't need to be this hate brother. The protestants are simply allowing the spirit to manifest without the need for a religious hierarchy.

As if all protestants are faith healers and mega churches. Love is what Jesus taught.

Jesus was the most exceptional man to ever live.

If they agree both is bullshit, why is the muslima wearing hijab?

I've always liked all of the art and architecture that catholicism inspired, created or at least funded.

mosquitoes.

Dress is cultural, not religious.

Modesty.

Because you have a personal emotional bias, as proven by your use of the word "seem"

>Jesus was awful.
This is what papists actually believe

You're obviously in the minority because protestants are massively becoming athesit while catholics are atleast keeping some of their faith alive.

Jesus was just pathetic, he wasnt awful

You think that way because you were likely raised in a predominantly Protestant society, going by the tone in your post.

The general opinion in predominantly Catholic societies is that Protestant churches are nothing but con cults filled with fanatics and crazy rituals that steal people from their families.

It's two sides of Christianity that were violently separated and will never get along. It's natural for people to feel negatively about the practices of the other side and try to find faults in its model.

Hey now! Orthodox icons are cool as hell.

I'm Irish, baptised and confirmed Catholic but never go to Mass.

Basically I've been reading the New Testament a lot lately and I think I'd like to get back into Christianity.

I want to reaffirm my faith in Jesus Christ but Catholicism seems a little, I dunno. Everything with the corruption, money, paedophile priests and what have you. However, the Church is a big deal in the local community here as I'm sure you're all aware.

But on the other hand, I have an inherent distrust of (Anglican) Protestants that comes with being raised in a very "republican" household. And I also had my heart broken by a Protestant girl so there's that too.

However - and here's the plot twist - I recently found out that my ancestors were among the original Baptists/Methodists, and my grandfather was actually adopted by a Catholic family.

So I guess I'm asking, is Baptism or Methodism any good? Should I stick with the denomination most of the people in my country follow (i.e. Catholicism)?
Should I try and work this out for myself instead of asking strangers on Veeky Forums? [obviously, but I want to hear some opinions first]

Jesus wasn't even a real person.

The Apostles robbed and killed Judas after he got paid by the Romans for some odd jobs and made up some story about how a hobo that caused trouble in the synagogue and got crucified a few days ago was actually the messiah and that Judas killed himself because of guilt from betraying him.

When it stuck they milked it for all they could. And boy did it have milk.

Related

You probably are looking for community so just pick the one that most of the people around you do.

evangelical gone reformed presbyterian, actually.

What are you talking about, it was Catholics that pushed the idea of solemn and solitary prayer. Meanwhile protestants are frequent church going heretics with zeal. Just because Protestants countries are largely atheistic now (Because they were heretics to begin with) doesn't mean the reality of religion was like that.

>implying catholic countries are not largely atheistic

>The corruption, money,paedophile priests
Catholics (and Orthodox) believe that the Apostles were the first Bishops. Judas, who was an accessory to God-murder, was an apostle. While corruption has always existed in the church (1) Jesus (who is God) established the church as an hierarchical organization based on apostolic succession and (2) less importantly, the benefits of such a hierarchy outweigh the problems over time.
More generally, I'd suggest you read up on both Catholic and Protestant thought and history. For Catholicism, I'd suggest Chesterton, Belloc, Ed Feser (though you'd want some uni philosophy background), and Peter Kreeft (if you're looking for the Catholic view, actually avoid his Handbook of Catholic Apologetics, which only talks about apologetics specific to the RC in one short chapter at the end).

As a Catholic, Lutheran Church Missouri Synod is bro-tier

>ripping the book of james out of your bible to try justify your heresy
>getting your religion from some guy who lived 1500 years after christ
>hurr luther knew more about jesus christ than jesus christ!

What would Luther make of modern American Protestantism?

>dancing around with snakes
>big macs and grape fanta

why isn't this a part of the religion?

You do realize the decision of what books went into the bible was as much a matter of politics as anything else, right?

Why are most mainlines declining? How did this happen?

it just seems dangerous to me

young earth creationism and all

It doesn't stupid

>mfw no modern manichaeism

Go Presbyterian

They are hyper-liberal