Competitive Pokemon General

Battlan, Battlan, Battlan, etc

The threads in /vp/ don't actually talk or pay attention to the game at a competitive level. We transitioned to Veeky Forums a few years ago (2013) after having asked moot via email who said that creating a general here in Veeky Forums was fine. Since /vp/ is once again insufferable for that kind of shit, we moved again. Other competitive parts can be mentioned too, like in-game, the TCG, the spinoffs and whatnot as well

Introduction to Competitive Pokémon: smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon
Tiers Explained: smogon.com/xyhub/tiers
List of tiers' clauses and banlists: smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/
StrategyDex: smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/

Online Pokémon Simulators:

Pokémon Showdown (main simulator): pokemonshowdown.com
Pokémon Online (sometimes used for oldgens): pokemon-online.eu/
Pokémon TCG Online: pokemontcg.com/

Official Website: pokemon.com/us/

Other Informative Websites:

Serebii: serebii.net
Bulbapedia: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page

Other urls found in this thread:

play.pokemonshowdown.com/thepeopleschamp
smogon.com/forums/threads/stall-myself-i-1-2002-elo-54-4-92-gxe.3570725/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>no /cpg/ in the title
do it again

ayyy

We also have a room over at Pokemon Showdown, if you want immediate feedback.

play.pokemonshowdown.com/thepeopleschamp

ummm kEK!

bump

Yeah I remember you faggots from a few years ago. Seems you came crawling back like the lowlive's you must be. I find it hard to believe that people can be so captivated by a Japanese turn based game for children that revolves so heavily around luck it's barely competitive. Please stop shitting up this board with your circlejerky generals and return to the cesspit that is /vp/ where you rightfully belong. None of you will ever even smell pussy apart from possibly your fat sisters. Enjoy being the least bumped thread on this board.

ok

nice gyate gyate tho

fuck you conspire, I'll do what I like.

pls no bully

>Moderately good bait posted

entire room goes nuts
is this what we have become?

>thinks moot still has power here

summerfag returns

nth for CBB and Wcop.

>1 bait
>5 posters

I know it's you c0mp you epic goyim,

I was just pointing out that there's a precedent for the existence of these threads.

>remembering something old = summerfag
do you even?

toppu kekku

I sexually identify as a Pokemon. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of having my name called and hurling through the air to fight against monsters. People say to me that being a Pokemon is impossible and I'm fucking retarded. But I don't care, I'm beautiful. I'm having a plastic surgeon change my appearance to that of a orange lizard. From now on I want you guys to call me Charazard and thank me for winning all the badges. If you can't thank me you're a pokephobe and need to check your capture privileges. Thank you for being so understanding.

Can we get a discussion about ladder strategies going on right now?
Looking at the ladder right now, 3 of the top 10 are Sab stall, and it's been a dominating force on the ladder for a while now.

Post your best stallbreakers.
Most relevant teams are ABR Sab/Skarm/Chansey/Amoonguss/Quag/Band Weavile
and this: smogon.com/forums/threads/stall-myself-i-1-2002-elo-54-4-92-gxe.3570725/

Both can't stomach Ice beam Manaphy, although this kinda falls flat vs teams that run unaware clef. Neither seems to handle Heatran well, because it either sets rocks or magma storms. Adamant Mega Heracross can break through Skarm pretty easily too, Neither team handles Physically based Kyurem-B that well, although it has limited usefulness in other situations.

One option I've been considering is running the Band ttar + Charizard Y core, because of the impact that has on defensive teams. Is there anything big I've missed that those two teams and other ladder stall is weak to?

What were your favorite WCOP matches so far, and which teams do you think are going to get in this year?

Mine:
>c0mp vs. bro fist
>all of improbable's games
>astamatitos v. tesung

I'm not sure if East is actually going to qualify this year. They're 10-10 so it's down to the last stretch for them.

Zard Y is an OK breaker but it's a really inconsistent Pokémon that limits possible team builds by just taking up its single slot, there are very few things that pair with it that can result in there being a competent team at the end of the line. Band tar is really good against standard stall as is Magma Tran, though.

One of my favorite stall-pressuring cores is M-Diance + Bulky rocks Lando with U-turn + another breaker + Keld check. They do a great job at keeping hazards off of your side, allowing you to double switch, and pressuring sab with U-Turn + Moonblast so that you can get rocks up reliably. Anything that abuses rocks can go into the third slot.

I really enjoyed iloveleague shitting in Laurels mouth

hi i'm new here and have no idea who any of these people are

I play pokemon on my 4ds and sometimes play and beat people i randomly challenge as passerby's

i am currently using a mewtwo offensive based team with muk as a special wall and arcanine as a sweeper. i sometimes find it hard to find synergy so i am open to help very thank you.

sorry i normally only post in portuguese threads so my english is not so good.

also what is a good set for rotom-w? i know it is so popular right now, i always see it. i have toxic/shadow ball/thunder wave and hidden power normal on mine right now but i feel like this is not very good

:3

Sounds like you don't know a lot about competitive pokemon.

Can you give me a list of the pokemon in your in-game box / party? I'll try to see if you can make a decent squad

Most popular Rotom-W set is generally Will-O-Wisp / Hydro Pump / Volt Switch / Pain Split

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 240 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet/Lefties
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

More in-depth spreads. High ATK Diancie's Diamond Storm helps break chansey in conjunction with Rocks + Knock Off from Lando, also does enough to Tran so that you can afford to run HP fire. Knock off on Lando is necessary, Diancie is a good Talon check anyway and you need to be able to knock off eviolite and Shed Shell (in case you're running Mag which synergises well.)

Lati is a good third breaker that threatens quag and others but you need a way to lure Skarm if you use it and you also get pursuited by Weav if you elect to use it... it does check Keld though. Some other breakers could be CB weav, loom, GK thund, whatever. Try things out.

Hydro/Volt switch/Will-o-Wisp or Twave/Twave or Pain Split. Defensive spread is in right now because it helps Rotom check birds and other shit and be a pain in the ass.

i've been playing pokemon since i was 4 years old. i think i know a lot desu

current team is rk9, muk, mega mewtwo y, lilligant (waifu), beedrill and blastoise.

What sets are you running? Especially on Mewtwo-Y.

Bump and reminder this exists

im arylide and i think this is the best place to come out as gay
ama

Beds you nigger I know you're going to check this. At least if someone from the room tells you to.

What is *crucial* when building a drumzard team in GSC? What can I not go without and I guess from there - what are the general options pple go with.

I was thinking lax because lax, but curse boom since I don't really need him to be ending the game himself. I love reflect kou (or any kou set desu) but zapdos doesn't need spikes gone so I'm not sure which electric to lean towards. And is running HP fire/water on either worthwhile when zard destroys the normal targets they try to bait with it?

And are spikes really necessary? Only thing that comes to mind is Rhydon (does this live +6 eq from full?) and Cune which I know is a roll for bdrum.

Beds doesn't even use the room anymore. He's transitioned to full smogon nigger.

im ary, ama.

Remember to vote no ban on drifloon suspect in LC because it's not broken

also ask if you have any questions regarding the best tier

post a team

diglett cores are gay

I hate diglett cores

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
Level: 5
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Bulk Up

Gothita @ Eviolite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

Drifloon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 116 HP / 168 Def / 40 SpA / 8 SpD / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recycle

Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 148 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off

Amaura @ Berry Juice
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 60 HP / 220 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Hyper Voice
- Earth Power
- Substitute

this is pretty good for laddering reqs

go away apt, nobody cares about LC.

Can't tell me what to do nigger

Isn't the omnipresence of Drifloon on these "good" teams proof that it should be banned?

Is your reasoning that, because Drifloon is used a lot, it is broken?

It is "too good" in the sense that it gets a slot of a lot of teams because it's able to 1v1 almost everything and has led to some insane sweeps in games in the past. It can be argued that it's suboptimal to not use it.

>it's able to 1v1 almost everything
not true.

>has led to some insane sweeps in games in the past.
Every mon has led to "some insane sweeps in games in the past" against unprepared teams. Doesn't mean Scraggy is broken or that fletchling is broken or that Drifloon is broken.

>It can be argued that it's suboptimal to not use it
In which way? It is not a guaranteed wincon, it is not an amazing defensive 'mon, it's weak to Stealth Rock and doesn't have huge utility outside of Will-O-Wisp

What are some consistent ways to "prepare" for the mon that has godlike longevity and is able to sub/recycle/wisp on most things that come in?

1) Drifloon must be able to use Recycle and Substitute.
This obviously means not getting memed on by faster knock off 'mons, moves like Taunt and Encore, Trick, or PP Stall. Things like a combination of taunt Mienfoo + Pawniard shuts down Drifloon, and remember that once drifloon has used up its berry juice or is at >80% health and switches out, it basically has no switch-in opportunity anymore: neutered Drifloon.

>Pokemon must take damage from Will-O-Wisp
Fire-type pokemon shit on Drifloon: Ponyta doesn't care about acro and can relatively easily outstall Floon. Flare Blitz + Burn damage will KO Floon even through Recycle.

Things like rest Chinchou are also ideal counters to Floon.
>muh dig
Easier said than done: Drifloon doesn't have u-turn, unlike Fletchling, so it's much more difficult to switch into that. Trying to predict could easily lead to a dead diglett, and it doesn't even help against things like scarf chinchou.
Shit like Staryu and Spritzee are also good self-healers that shit on Drifloon (with ice beam/tbolt for staryu).

>Pokemon must stay in for drifloon to threaten it
Chou volt switching into fletch threatens drifloon pretty easily. It also turns into a trade situation: sack your mon by continuously attacking until drifloon's sub is gone and then KO it with something else you just brought in.

>Drifloon cannot be KOed through sub
Amaura's Hyper Voice is the most consistent Drifloon check. Shit like Dwebble, Onix, and Shellder also has an easy time, thanks to multi-hit moves.

>Drifloon needs to be faster
Priority really shits on Drifloon. Things like Corphish's aqua jet WILL 2HKO, even if it burns after the first AJet.

In addition, building a team with a lot of priority is a good thing, which helps to deal with Drifloon as a bonus.

>Drifloon must be able to survive an attack in order to complete the recycle stalling phase
There's a lot of things that can KO through a burn, namely special attackers, Guts mons, and strong physical attackers (eg. LO pawn).

That's just a short list of possible counterplays to Drifloon. There's many more shit that beats it.

This suspect is similar to the Fletchling one: a lot of fear and initial thoughts that make you think the thing is utterly broken, then, as time passes, counterplays become more common and you gradually get used to it and realise it isn't so broken, after all. At that moment, it becomes an accepted and well prepared-for threat.

Just think about shit like Mienfoo or Porygon or Carvanha. If those had been introduced today, we'd probably call for a ban, when they aren't actually broken (well, except for some people). We've been dealing with them for years: that's the difference. Drifloon is a new threat that makes a difference in teambuilding, and that's why everyone fears it.

It's unlike every other suspect before: it's an offensive mon disguised as a defensive mon. Defensive mons don't try to break through their checks or sweep through the opposing team. They attempt to react at opposing pokemon, and that's where the key difference lies: Drifloon isn't a reactionary Pokemon, it actively aims to remove opposing mons. It's a unique situation, and that's why there's a lot of controversy.

the end

bitch im in the cut rotom-c

Unbelievable...
Truly unbelievable..
You have been on this server for no less than a week, and yet, something in the back of your microscopic brain gives you the very idea of griefing the market place.
I have things to say:
How dare you.
How dare you come onto this server and betray us instantly.
How dare you decide to turn evil on us.
How dare you think that it would be a good idea to grief this realm of amazingness and beauty, with an amazing staff, and not realize that you are always watched...
Hmm?
I'm thoroughly disgusted with you, troll.

bump

ded

Bump for Rick's countrymen.

Volcanion appears to be a pokemon that has yet to make an impact on the tournaments scene. I've noticed it has a favourable matchup against a lot of balance builds, and could potentially secure a high win rate if used against the right sort of opponents. Yet I haven't seen it being used frequently.

Initially, I thought Volcanion would have a huge impact on the ORAS metagame, but this hasn't been the case. A big part of this is the rocks weakness, and the lack of any sort of recovery. It limits its own switch-ins, and while the teams it aims to beat won't have solid counters, they will have ways of forcing it out, and checks like Latios to make sure they don't get immediately blown up by it. This means that it is often much less effective than it first seems. It's possible that with a hazard control core, or a way of keeping it healthy while still maintaining choice specs on it, it could see more usage.

Now that we've had a while to analyse it, it seems Volcanion was at least somewhat overhyped.

i want to marry angeela!

How has the RU metagame been since the recent Mega Steelix and Tyrantrum ban?

What pokemon have become extraordinarily more viable now?

Any new big threats you need to think about in teambuilding? And what's it like not being able to slap on a Tyrantrum as mon #6 in teambuilding?

who?

you

bumppp before bed