/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

Last Thread: Elf are scum
they stink like shit too.
Putrid.

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

>Embark surrounded by human cities
>Good spot, clay, shallow/deep minerals
>Fort is coming along nicely
>mid summer undead shows up
>4 necros show up with 60+ zombies

What the hell is going on here? Is this a bug or something? Anyone else has this problem?

14 year old fortress, 125 year old default map parameters, 192x192 tiles embark size, 484 dwarves, year 14, 3x3 u/d stairway from top through 3 open caves to bottom, circus wide open and visiting, cavern 1 draining through multiple waterfalls over statues and a 100 block drop into cavern 2, 40+ maximum size stockpiles, inhabited layers almost completely dug out with minimal doors or hallways outside of bedrooms, no atomsmasher, waypoints, no optimizations, no idle dwarves. 6 fps!

...is not a glitch, it shows you your relative skill level. Bad terrain, pain, etc. can reduce your skill level from legendary to accomplished.

Oh! Is this a new feature? I never had this in 42.06.

Its """"""""""""""new""""""""""" in the sense its a part of the new combat system (pulping, observation of forecasted enemy actions, rapid/wild/power/accurate attacks, etc. etc), it was definitely in 42.06.

wew lad

I recommend just sticking with 43.04 until next version comes out.

I meant 43.03, lol.

Is there a Noldor elf mod that makes them wear adamantine/super strong and fast?
Also how is the 64bit version, is it any better?

64 bit version handles larger ram allocations and whatnot, seemed a bit faster during later years of world-gen, seems faster during high population area visits with adventurers.

is there a thread/page dedicated to hardware that gets the most out of DF?
eg. Should I put DF on my SSD?

Page swaps aren't going to be the biggest hit, it's cache misses from the CPU to RAM that hurts DF, then page swaps from RAM to disk.

bumpin' 'n lovin'

reminder elves are so weak they can't even trample grass

Originally elves in Masterwork had mithril as their thing, which is like adamantine lite (steel strength but more lightweight), now he's trying to make it more like a vanilla+ thing; that is, having races be like in the core game but moreso, a la civilizations of FB, titans, night creatures, necros, etc.

I wish night creatures/random generated monsters could replace normal creature populations.

Normal creatures as in civilized or normal creatures as in random ass fauna?

I'd be happy with either.

'I'nteract with the weapon.
Or just move, since that's less keystrokes.

Didn't it used to be the case that you could twist weapons to inflict pain? Is that gone now?

Well ok, yeah in Masterwork you can enable/disable whichever races you like, and you can have no goblins, humans, or elves, and just night creatures, necromancers, forgotten beasts, and titans if you like, or what not.

Alright /dfg/, time to step up your game. Make a new fort, it can only export animals and tamed vermin. Animals and tamed vermin, not their products. Not 3689986 dorfbuck roasts of their meat. Not their 25892598 bux egg roasts. Just the animal or vermin.

Theme is you're a band of animal poachers off to get rich selling pets and exotic pets to dwarves in the homeland.

>Embark
>Look around
>Yup, I like fort there
>Dig out essentials and make a couple stone doors
>Put up like 2 stone doors
>Lock the door when shit comes, just ignore them until they leave
>Stockpile and dump everything underground
:^)

When I get to a new map I build a quick little wooden hut around the starting wagon, then dig a ditch around the map.

yeah, I always see goblins twisting their swords in me, how can I do that?

Is there a way of limiting what's Active in Masterwork?
I tried it once before but didn't really enjoy the billion things it added and I'm too lazy/stupid/busy to mod.

Yes. The new version is much more moderate, and there's a loader that lets you do just that.

neat.

>Parakeet men on the surface
>Oy vey, mebbe there's sheckles down this here slope
>They travel roughly 200 tiles and kill themselves on the stonefall traps by me depot just above the magma sea
Words fail me.

Is it normal that human nobles have such titles as Holy Cancer and Great Tumor?

Those are probably religious leaders following gods of deformity and disease.

I don't use many crossbow types. Anons, have you ever seen crossbow hits inflict a pulping?

>Holy Cancer
That's some WH40K shit

I remember causing collapses with thrown knives and spears so you should be okay. If stuff's getting reanimated you shouldn't be remaining in the first place.

They must be nurgle cultists

>They say the Age of Myth is over. That the Gods no longer walk this Earth. But neither do the humans or the Elves and the truth Urist is that only demons walked this land.
>We must prepare Urist and strike hard at the Earth for soon we may no longer walk upon its surface.

Allright, I'm out.
>my lady is a goblin
>tells me to kill a gorlak
>gorlak is lady of neighbour hamlet

I don't think I have the burrow configurations for madness of this caliber. Try uh, try settling in that valley without a pop cap to reestablish the dorf civ then you can embark elsewhere and get solid migrants to leapfrog around.

>Is it normal that humans have such titles as Cancer and Tumor?

Yes, for that is all humans really are.

One thing that intrigues me is the way that if you abandon a fort, and embark somewhere else with the same civ, you will often see your old derfs as the first migrants.

I'm not a fan of migrants at all but if you have a ded civ you can use this to tailor pick what your two migrant waves will consist of.

I found a nice cliff face. Frequent klobad blood rain but only wildlife so far is a mountain goat (living)
Getting people inside and building a small wall around the entrance to try and keep the needed migrants alive for slavery

Make a server out of macbook pros and run it from there

Give me strength /dfg/, this Forgotten Beast is being a really sneaky cunt.

Stays in the water just waiting for an opportunity to fuck my shit up. Any Dorf that waltz by gets snib snabbed before shitting back to the water, so I have basically had to mass forbid half the map just to keep Urist McCunt from getting himself killed.
Playing an extinct civ, the last refuge of the Dorfs, I really don't want to lose any Dorfs if I can help it.

1/3

I could just wall the fucking lidless fox in, but that is a cowards strategy and he has made a fool out me to the point it is personnel. I can no longer stand to see that thing alive in my unit list.

I've set up a catapult hoping to conker this cock but the dipshit engineer balks whenever it comes that close. Also way too unreliable.

And finally the real reason I can't fucking kill this thing.

2/3

Yeah, it used to bother me too but it's too much work to do a "king's expedition to build a forward base in evil lands". Plus with new combat, half of your superdorfs are gonna get killed regardless.

Just wall it off? Your well will be pulling water with a screw pump through a grate with no path to it from a fortification with a raising bridge shutoff filled cistern.

Do you have an aquifer? Is it a flier with breathes fire? run around the edges of the cavern carving fortifications with 1 tile walkways. Patrol marksdorfs and they'll eventually kill it. Then just pump stack magma into the cavern to boil shit up until you have control of the cavern. Wall up the edges, set traps and a barracks in the border gatehouse and station a squad. Add a lot of wood doors and a bait animal or 3 so you know when your guys get rolled.

Webs. Fucking Webs.
All the Adamantine Armor in the world can't help you if you can't move, and the shit head can break your neck using just the impact force.

Marks dorfs can't hit reliably because it fucks off to water. Melee Dorfs get killed en-masse because it fucking sprays and prays before making the kill. Siege weapons can't hit the bitch and can't trap the cunt because that would require sacrificing someone when I can't afford any more losses.

>Beware its webs!

Channel a hole in the roof near the waters edge. Pit a bunch of animals in to draw it out of the water the fuck its asspussy with 70 marksdwarves with sufficient ammo.

WHAT ARE YA DOING, YA GOTTA SPIN TO WIN URIST

What parameters did you use?
Upload world

>Yeah, it used to bother me too but it's too much work to do a "king's expedition to build a forward base in evil lands".

I'd just have an adventurer do it. Then he can become a migrant.

I just used Masterworks swamp world

Have you tried draining the cavern?

Why not just collapse a few z-levels of cavern above it?

Although personally I would just leave it and build an alternate route around it.

I could do that, but then I would lose the only source of water in the entire map. A barren husk of a wasteland with every city burnt and ruled by Goblins and their Demon overlords.

Yeah, this is another good one. Mine out the roof, channel your plug and assblast it.

It's map edge isn't it? It'll refill. If it isn't, use fortifications to drain it all into a cistern.

How did you generate this world?

How annoyed are you that you did it before Toady's new hostility slider?

He said it was from Masterwork's swamp world.

This is the plan lads, I'm going to throw a rock at it.

And by rock, I mean the ceiling.
Try and web that away you utter knobhead.

I'd recommend fortifications in the wall and pitting a ton of animals but whatever

Good lad. Dropbear made of solid rock will kick his shit in.

>Cavern 3 FB
>Deadly dust
>Super dense cavern
>No marksdwarves
>9 military melee dorfs
>Nobody above 5 skill
I don't think a brush fire will kill him but it's all I got. Magma soon

Bit late for fortifications m8. See how the cunt has cozied up to the side of the caverns there? If I forticate that wall, the whole hall will flood. Whilst sticking a sword in his gut will be a hell of a lot more possible if he is unable to web and swim at the same time, I aint' gunna let him bloody me anymore.

Here is the dropbear package.

If your caverns seriously 1-z high? you got a range of 20 tiles -1 for every z drop.

Really fucking low z- levels on this map.

I hit Magma on 23-z, adamantine on 27-z

Im so excited for this

This must be what the Coyote felt like in a Road Runner cartoon.

The little shit didn't even feel it. Dropped four blocks on him, he didn't budge. Dropped four levels worth of rock on his stupid ass and didn't do shit.

All I learned is he actually really can swim and shot web at the same time. It was a noice shot lads, but we are back to the drawing board.

Drop more is the only answer

> alternatively you can set up a pit zone where the hole is and throw rocks down at him

If it didn't do shit then you missed. Cave-ins are 100% fatal to 99.9% of the creatures in the game. Ghosts are the onlyexception. On account of being ghosts.

You missed then. Cave-in's are pretty much the only way to kill shit like an adamantine FB. Was the plug at least 2-z tall?

you missed it, cave-ins are fatal

show his page, he should at the very least be hurt

Throwing rocks is always an option, but this fucking furry always giving me this stupid look on its face has unleashed my inner sadist.

So the shit parked himself right to the shore did he? Well he can web like a cunt and swim like a duck but he is still bound by Toad Physics.

Some hapless dwarf I make dig the wall in front of him will make him get dragged down a nice corridor I made special, I'll make sure to welcome him with style with the very best spears and axes engineered to swing at the right moment.

Fuck I'll even throw in an anvil for kicks.

How did he miss when the crumbled rock is on top of where the FB was??

Does the water have an effect?

Pit animals to bait him out of the water then fuck him up.

I haven't the foggiest lads, all I know is when I drop the rock it turns into smoke the moment it hits the water.

In other ACME attempts I have a huge hall of ACME products all getting ready to try and shake hands with our uninvited guest.

>crumbled rock
You imbecile, this kind of fuckery is what makes evil overlords off their minions. You can't even kill right. Those are fucking pebbles. You need to drop wall tiles.

Alright, should I become a vampire first, or a necromancer?

Being a vampire makes becoming a Necromancer infinitely more achievable.

Vampire. If you're cool with savescumming, just topple some shrine statues until you get cursed with vampirism(if you don't see living entities through walls immediately you're a werebeast)

Necromancers will be cool with you if you're undead and basically give you their books, if you try to approach them as a human their minions will attack you.

You can only become a vampire or werebeast if you are not a necromancer. So always vampire first.

>tfw you're trying to clear a tower and there's like 50 camping the hatch up

I'm making a new fort and want to spice things up a bit
Post your workshop/storage areas! I want to see how others manage their shit and change mine a bit

I wonder if motiviations for sites will ever be expanded. I'd expect far more raids on a fortress or town that's by the only source of water in a massive desert, for instance.

Yes, attack motives will be covered later on.

You're not building that pressure plate for the FB to trigger, are you? Because it won't work.

>decide to start off as a peasant
>friendly red panda man that is only good at dodging
>get an elf to follow me as an entertainer
>we form a cute little troupe that plans to travel the land spreading song and dance
>cold and frozen all around, not much civilization for huge distances
>have trouble finding food and water
>after traveling awhile on the verge of dehydration
>end up stabbing my elf companion in the legs to stop him running away
>brutally slaughter him
>drink his blood to survive
>sleep for a whole day
>immediately find food and water in abundance upon travelling a short distance

Your sacrifice pleased the gods i suppose.

Anyone know why these 20 turkeys have been in this same corner for 3 entire years?

At what level should your weapons skills be to fight off bogeymen?

>Playing Masterwork as Incubus bard.
>Get mugged alot.
>Hire Jotun lady because maybe she will help me.
>Give her my spear to use.
>Her eyes burst into flames and she starts attacking me.
>I have to beat her to death.
>"He doesn't care much about anything anymore."

Well, we dont really want them in Europe

Legend everything and even then you should be outrunning and shooting when they're far enough away, throwing when they aren't. You'll get crippled and gangraped or instakilled by a horn gore or hoof kick eventually. If you bothered to train climbing up with macro's, light the grass on fire, set dodge to stand ground, tree yourself, then just keep forcing them to throw themselves off the tree until dawn. Throw bolts or knives when you can.

I've fought off a group with just expert striker/wrestler abilities, it helps to charge and pick them up a lot. They're tiny as fuck, so they go flying.

>This must be what the Coyote felt like in a Road Runner cartoon.
try engraving a door on a wall

Mustard gas is no joke.

What's your high score in WW1 Medic?