/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog general. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, etc.

/sthg/ - #491 - Too Many Hogs Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/Developments
SEGA Confirms New Sonic Project Coming 2017
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/sega-confirms-new-sonic-project-is-coming-in-2017/

Sonic Humble Bundles
humblebundle.com/sonic-25th-anniversary-bundle
humblebundle.com/books/sonic-comics-bundle

Tons of Unseen Sonic Concept Art Revealed
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/lots-of-unseen-concept-art-of-sonic-and-company/

Sonic: Mega Drive First Look, Sequel Revealed
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/first-look-at-sonic-mega-drive-1-reveals-sequel/

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice E3 Trailer
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/sonic-boom-fire-ice-e3-trailer/

Runners is Dead.
sonicstadium.org/2016/05/sonic-runners-shutting-down-next-month/

Sonic is joining the cast of LEGO Dimensions!
siliconera.com/2016/06/09/sonic-hedgehog-joins-lego-dimensions/

>Recent Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/DG08RpS.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos
youtube.com/watch?v=j6dXmsR4_VQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shit edition desu.

Who's your favorite hog?

I was strongly tempted to do Village Hogs Edition.

That'd be appreciated user. What should the rules be?

>9 threads to 500
>tfw we'll get no new art because of faggots

I'm too tired to be creative now, but if all y'all spitball some ideas I can take the ones I like and be creative tomorrow.

I do wish Ida handled that 2 page spread a little better. I've learned a lot since then so hopefully itll show in the next few issues. I'm not sure the angle I couldve put that at to fit everyone together becuase the the need of eggman to be driving around with metal sonic chasing him. I dunno can someone do some layouts they think woulda worked? Id love to hear some criticism about it.

Sonic, Amy, and coldsteel

Rosy and her bitch.

I'm not an artist, but I think the biggest problem is the angle. Like you said, Eggman driving with Metal Sonic makes it a bit complicated. I'd suggest just bringing everyone closer together, but that might make it too cluttered.

Maybe having Eggman driving straight towards the reader, split between the two pages, with the other fighters spread out on either side of him. Could go for a lower angle then and not have to draw people back so far, especially since as characters get less detailed they look less interesting and are more liable to get messed up by the inks.

Nowhere near qualified to give the feedback you want, but man I'm glad to see you around again.

Impossible to choose just one. I want them all.

Also, looking at it again, it just seems haphazard. Like pairs of fighters were all drawn separately and then just slapped on. Lacks a certain level of balance or sense of intention. Again, not an artist so my critique is rather non-exact, but hopefully you can glean something from it.

more or less has the gist of it. Spreads usually come down to fitting everything into the space without it feeling cluttered or empty and as you get more experienced doing them you're bound to learn or figure out neat tricks to keep from showing what doesn't need to be shown without cluttering the page. I would go look up some good 2 pg spreads as examples but I'm hopelessly tired and in the process of going to bed. I think the best general advice is to just go all out with the creativity when it comes to spreads or single panel pages. Just make it as visually interesting as possible without it becoming a clusterfuck or causing you to fall behind.

Still waiting on our resident writefag to write up Rosy pegging Scourge It'll happen one day.

part of the challenge of the page is I wasnt the one to make calls on the action per say, who was fighting who and such so having axel being attache dto wendy's cart and having some people flying etc, i couldnt cram it closer together without covering up others. In retrospect I could have simply drawn some bigger and I think that would have fixed the whole thing. I really wanted to make sure all of the notes were met in full without leaving anything out. I'm too eager to please most likely.

Yeah, I think just making some characters bigger would've given the sense of the fighting being closer together, which would've made it more dynamic. Also having elements off different fights interact if at all possible. For example, in this spread the booster trail from Metal Sonic could be used to tie things together more; Tundra's ice blast going under it draws me attention, but otherwise most of the action seems crammed in the right corner or way in the back.

Haven't seen this posted in a while.

I'll be sure to put it on the wall.

Hey abt. How was doing the issue timewise? Did you feel you had enough time to work on each page?

Also how much did the writers/editorial give you on the splash page direction wise? Like what restrictions and stuff did you have? Do they tell you specifically all the interactions that are happening and where on the page they should be etc/

I think the main issue is how extreme the angle was. As a fan who has zero artistic talent or formal artistic education, when there's an action-packed 2-page spread I care more about things being clear and looking good rather than worrying about how it makes sense perspective-wise.

On the other hand, some times a weirdly extreme angle can be helpful in showing off the action, as in this based Bates spread from Worlds Collide. If it were just drawn looking at ground level then a lot of these exchanges would be less visually interesting/detailed. It also has the advantage of Sonic running throughout the fight to connect it, which wouldn't necessarily be true of the spread in question.

i.imgur.com/DG08RpS.jpg

Sonic, Amy, and Scourge

Yeah, with that much supervision it would be difficult to make a good 2-page spread. Most of the time you'd want to create a good sense of balance in the art, and make sure that certain elements in the art are emphasized. With that many things being required to put on the page, it's hard to create a good balance.

everything the caharcters were doing and their positions were laid out in the script I just had to figure out how to piece it together. Yea, I had enough time, I just hadnt drawn these characters enough to understand them fully and how to utilize their forms in page layout. so thats my fault really.

That spread was actually the first thing I thought of. I disagree that's an extreme angle: it's top-down, the right side is slightly more prominent, but the perspective isn't as extreme as in abt's. With abt's the background is really far back, therefore logically the background characters will be a lot smaller. With Bates' all the characters are more similar sizes, which helps everything looks more clear.

I shoulda done something similar to that megaman crossover spread actually. That mighta been better.

Honestly dude I wouldn't worry about it. The only reason you're getting negative feedback on the page is because usually your stuff is really good so people have high expectations of you.

I know you'll keep at it and that your next splash will be better so lemme skip the trite comments and just say we're looking forward to seeing more from you!

Robo hog

It's really isometric more than anything else. Top down, but at an angle.

thanks. I'll keep getting better with every issue im sure. I wanna keep learning and avoid stagnation so I have to strive hard to make that happen.

do you have any plans post sonic? like is sonic a stepping stone to a book or company you really want to work with? Or is sonic your jam and you'd stay on the book till they threw you off?

Relax - your work's good. As long as you strive towards bettering yourself, you're not far wrong.

Meanwhile I'm struggling on muscles and the pile of scrunched-up failures is mounting. Any tips for a learning artist on how to persevere through the times when you'd rather just kick it in and grab a beer?

>Shadow
>Scourge
>Blue Knuckles

Draw buffles

This is basically what I'm thinking of. Again I have zero artistic talent or education and this is probably obvious.

Left is a rough idea of what the perspective in your spread was like. Background was really small, which was probably intentional to fit the tower in the back. But it'd probably look better if it was closer to the right so the characters in the background were more prominent and not tiny.

I'm gonna keep this gig as long as I can but I definately want to work on other comics as well. I'm looking to branch out soon and keep archie at the same time. I wanna make it big eventually so I gotta work hard. As long as my work is consistent and fast I should be good.

I might have a pop at this. Currently I'm working on a friend's OC laying in a hot bath, but the OC is meant to be a bit of a muscular character. I've never drawn muscles, and the combination of my own perfectionism and tiredness isn't helping.

If Kate Leth can somehow make it big, I'm sure someone who actually puts effort into their work like you can do well. I'm rooting for ya abt

you have to want to be drawing instead of doing other things. gotta put in the hours but other than practice, if you feel uncomfortable then get out of your house and dont draw for a few hours, then come back to it. go ride a bike or sit in a coffee house and eat food. then go back after getting your blood pumped and sit back down and force it. and if you simply cant work then just dont and waste time until you feel like working again. usually taking an entire day off will motivate one enough to get back on the horse again, least it does for me. I work in bursts. I can go an entire week without getting anything done but then finish 10 pages in 2 days. I just do whats comfortable. also find the times your work most productivly. I work the best past midnight.

that work ethic's got you where you are today dude, you'll only get faster and more efficient so remember us when you're in the big leagues!

>I work the best past midnight.

A fellow nighthawk! How do you deal with the quiet? Any recommended podcasts or listening material? Or d'ya find you work better to silence or quiet? I usually do my best work during the hours so I can't really blast music and everyone's asleep so online chatting is dead.

What a team that would be.

>I work the best past midnight.
>00:02
Get to work, abt. Though I don't actually know where you live, but I'm guessing it's not central time zone.

I can't draw because of hands, but I've never been too hot on muscles myself.

That said, I was quite honest about the Buffles thing. It helps because you can draw him like Boom Knux and once you get sick/give up or you get tired. Draw him like one of these.

>I work the best past midnight
Same here. Less distractions since everything's closed and people are asleep

I prefer Red Sonic.

i listen to shows over and over/ video games being played/ podcasts/ video game analysis

Sonic and Shadow butt heads constantly.

Scourge keeps trying to fuck everyone over because he can.

Silver is a combination of overly paranoid and overly naive in the most comically hopeless way possible.

Shard is the only one doing his job most of the time and can't believe he has to put up with this shit.

So Scourge is Charlie?
youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos

I don't mean to put you down, but is that much effort really worth it? I don't really know much about comics but it doesn't sound like there are many possibilities to be very "big" in comics nowadays and that market is getting smaller every day. I'd be worried.

Sounds pretty fun.

Archie's Murata, right here.

Hey ABT, I just wanna say reading your posts tonight have really brought my spirits up. I honestly don't think I'm good enough to do comic work, but I've sent in submissions three times over the last decade, with various degrees of helpful criticism from the editors of the day, and it's just uplifting to hear from someone who made it to just keep trying. I sure do look up to your hard work man.

nothing is better than working from home, being my own boss, on my own schedule, not having to answer to anyone, and most of all not being in a fucking cubicle. i wouldnt trade this work for any other job.

It's the Sonic sitcom we need.

im glad to hear it. keep working at it (if you want to).

>getting feedback from editors

Man I've never even gotten personalised feedback from editors, but that's not gonna stop me! I'm too stupid to quit trying.

Feedback would have been a better word to use rather than criticism, now that I reread my post, heh.

looks like my 10 year old self's halloween costume. I wanted to be Knuckles the Echidna, but all i had was a red sweat suit and some make up that would make a clown blush in shame.

Goodnight, /sthg/

This. Goodnight.

II'm up for a bit longer but then I'm heading off too

If the developers were to incorporate more playable characters in the next Sonic game, would you prefer they all play similiarly like Heroes and the Advance games or have each character given radically different styles of gameplay like the Adventure titles?

Preferably how S3&K did it.

Beach Volleyball is being patched out of the new M&S game.

Maybe they'll redo it so that the Sonic girls can have swimsuits.

No they're patching it out because a dead Shyguy washed up where they play.
They are also talking about removing the swimming events since Sonic shit in the pool.

I'd choose them having different styles, but I don't think the Adventures did them well.

>painted nails

Absolutely disgusting.

God damn it.

God damn your fucking post.

Silver in the background still gets me.

stop

Ya don't stop. Ya proceed.

>Shard is the only one doing his job most of the time and can't believe he has to put up with this shit.
What would be Shard's version of "I'm getting too old for this shit?" youtube.com/watch?v=j6dXmsR4_VQ

Which Sonic game had the most potential that they failed to reach. Hard mode no Sonic 06

>"You guys make me want to go back into the volcano"

Heroes. The team concept deserves a better try.

this, although since its already been said..

Sonic Boom.
The fanbase wanted a more adventure style game for a while - multiple characters, hub world, exploration, story.

so they decided to make a side-series which will have all these elements, as well as being a throwback to an earlier era of 3D platformers.

What are some things that could improve Heroes, I've never played it

some people do like it, so you might.

>enemies have hp
>you also have to fight certain enemy waves to progress
>The team mechanic gets old after the 3rd zone
>movement is really slippery
>you have to play 4 stories
>levels are too long

those last two might not be problem if I liked the gameplay
It's like they were worried it was too short and so added as much filler as they could.

My circuits are too fried for this shit

I find the movement to be a little too slippery, camera can be a bitch at times, you have to replay the game 4 times to get the final story, the levels can drag on too long, the models are ugly, and the voice acting is pretty fucking poor.

These are great!

Them dragging the game out to long outta of short play time is a common problem for Sonic Team

Generations had a good solution for this, a lot people disliked the missions but I thought they were gimmicky fun.

games like Heroes and sonic 06 used the good classic system of having different characters play through the same levels but having their different style provide a different experience. We know they messed it up.

Sonic > Shadow > Silver > Amy > rest are irrelevant

>Silver
>Relevant
He wishes

at least he has made an appearance on media in the last 2 years :^)
enjoy your dead recolors

>I'm getting too rusty for this shit

>Enjoy your dead recolors
>Implying I like'd them
>Implying I don't want silver to join them
Enjoy your pot head

why is tails the best?