/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Infra Arcana 18.2 released: sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/downloads
Release Notes: raw.githubusercontent.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/v18.2/assets/release_history.txt

New Demon Release introduces Relic upgrades: demon.ferretdev.org/devblog/71-upgrade-complete/

Poschengband 5.0.0 released (breaks save compatibility!)
angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=111423&postcount=233

Vanilla Angband Comp(until July 6)
Elf Warrior with a permacursed Deathwreaker:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/pkf1qnuZ

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/poschengband/poschengband/commit/aaf01a912284f2e5eeec6a55161b6b6ef0d074b0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Last for Chei!

Where can I watch someone play roguelikes?

'go 'za

this guy comes up and smacks your mounts ass
what do you do

this kills the snail

Any DCSS server
NAO
ascension.run
slashem.me
termcast.org
YouTube.

no user
it's the other way around

Ride him instead.

Edit the source code so he has only 1 hp.

What is the worst thing this is capable of? Hand of doom?

Time stop followed by various unpleasantness.

Of course most of the time it will just bumble around and do nothing much since its spell list is so huge.

How the hell am I supposed to go through cloud of foul pestilence generators in dungeon sprint ?

Time stop, then mana storms/water balls during? Probably something like that.
The thing is that it has so many spells it will almost never cast its good ones.
I have had it stop time just to cast blind and move a bit.

Quickly.

good font.

I miss the all caps text while Frenzied in IA. It was funny.

What game is that?

The one where all high-level stat blocks look like pride parade.

Should be renamed to prideband or faband.

PozChengband

> Faband

Why would anybody keep trying to force their "I'm a genius lol" meme spelling so hard?

it's gone? :( I was amused by it too

Maybe because he's right in implying that the game is AIDS.

checked and lost the game
LOL

Nice OP image. I'd buy you a beer, OP.

So, started my first game of poschengband. (I always like to jump on ... bandwagons).

What are virtues? I dug out some treasure and now im somewhat virtous in diligence... I have no idea what it means.

>...
Fuck off.

>What are virtues?
Bloat.

Making special attacks is pretty fun

AAAARRRGGGHHH !!!

You are straying from path of /rlg/.

>* Messages are no longer written in all capitals while Frenzied
Literally (unfiguratively) no fun allowed.

This and the removal of the @ exploding into loot like an Angband Wyrm on death are very bad changes imo.

MARTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

Wtf did I do wrong?

Correct sad gattsu, bursting into treats upon death was great.

whoa.....
i always knew those
dogs were danderous....

>>>/sbahj/

kinda really makes u think huh

Nah man I still think the most bullshit exp penalty is for balance drakes who are by far the worst dragons in the game. They are negative in every stat bar strength which they are +0 in, have the lowest life rating among dragons along with ethereal and shadow but at least those 2 get passwall, and the only skills balances are good at is device which isn't excellent like most other dragons. The only upside they have is their resists which are sound, shards, chaos, and disenchantment but what does that matter when you're literal dogshit at basically everything. I actually think they're hands down the worst fucking race in the game. Chris really, really dropped the ball there.

Yeah, if you look at all the goodies shadow drakes get, balance and ethereal look pretty awful.

I guess you could use the resists and make a device dragon to ignore the poor melee and breath, but I can only assume a craft balance drake is very very bad at everything until you somehow get your rockets going.

How does the resonance cascade chamber look like in Cata im 3 levels down into the Lab and fought about 10 manhacks and a couple of zombie scientist and found abominations in cages. Also can there be more than one "ending chamber" per "dungeon" I wanted some good CBMs or super weapons

>reload Dungeonmans to see if it's not shit anymore
>hours of slogging through trivial trash fights
>suddenly get one-shot by some monstrosity that was hiding in a chest
commercial roguelikes, not even once

What game is this?

not even worth it
if you're trying to actually win the game and have fun you should only be playing red, white, crystal, steel, and law, all melee except for law who you should be playing the really strong and fun crusade realm

Pozchengband

>sum -5 stats
>300% XP
O i am kek'in

Can he at least fly or trample or some shit?

Finally, I don't even know why I bothered but I can finally stop. I just have to live through the rest of this zig. Then I can stop playing I can never stop playing

Lv intrinsic is basically worthless in PCB.
>Trample
No.

I seriously don't understand how Chris can perform mental gymnastics and then look at that shit and say "Oh yeah this looks GREAT" he's so fucking awful as a developer it's cringe-inducing.
All dragons (even babbys) get innate flying but there is no trampling. All dragons get a "realm" of your choosing and it would seem like melee would get a trample but all they get of note is a detection spell and some brands and modifiers for their teeth and claws.

Well, it matters more when you have weird slots (especially no boots) since you need it to access a few midgame dungeons.

But every dragon flies so balance has no advantage here.

Nah, Chris is great at a lot of things. Balancing PCB is basically and impossible task and he has to play a character pretty far to fully evaluate what it needs. Some changes are bad, some are good. It happens.
Chris' main problem as a dev is that he likes grinding too much.

>Chris' main problem as a dev is that he likes grinding too much.
I think he's awful just for that reason along with he's the type of person who is unpredictable and pulls random shit out of their asses but they do this so much they become predictable. I just want to know what his deal is with shitty bloat races. I think some user posted a while ago about how PCB is famous for it's wide berth of race/class selections but only a few are actually viable and the rest are gimped by Chris himself and those fucking penalties. Also I loved how he got buttmad about 555 because people didn't want to put up with that garbage. How does he not realize everyone doesn't want to grind forever and then die to some random fuckery that PCB is infamous for? I don't really think it's "impossible" to balance PCB.

Why
How did you not get bored?

>zigposting
Enjoy your fucking ban, degenerate.

>I don't really think it's "impossible" to balance PCB.
Give us some ideas.

I think you are being seriously overdramatic.
There are quite a few easily doable improvements in my opinion(id drop XP mods from 50-425 total to 50-200 total) and fix up the starting items/quest rewards to be less shit, but a lot of what Chris does is great. (By god the new monster recall and item power printouts!)
555 is totally unnecessary and it is a good thing that it was fixed. The game definitely needs more tweaks to allocation and the way leveling works, but I think Chris makes this game for himself and you can't really fault him on that.

Have shops scale what they sell with your level (so temple and stuff can uncommonly sell healing and *healing* so you don't have to play the grind game), nerf breaths so they don't do so much damage, lower exp penalties for lots of races and classes, and make fewer enemies be able to summon. There you go, I just solved lots of problems the game had.

Were those potions of experience?

>overdramatic
I don't think you know what that means. Those easily doable improvements are something he'll probably never implement himself. I think Chris is shit because of the previous and yes 555 was a bit of overkill but it was useful for the healing thing. I can definitely appreciate the idea behind new monster recall and item power stuff and I think they were great additions but at the end of the day the problems that I mentioned still exist. Maybe considering him outright "shit" is a little too harsh.

damn. forgot minos could actually pose a threat.

Their attacks do damage.

This isn't PCB man

i should have killed the dudes but i got killed by the dudes instead. i am fault.

>mummy of Xom
well no shit, everything poses a threat

Why does Enter the Gungeon have so many inputs

It's literally impossible to find a good setup for keyboard because the game wants you to manage weapons, use items, interactable objects, reloading, and blanks, but also demands full control over your movement at all times possible.

I can get almost everything in on a gamepad by putting reload on R3, but anything that isn't on the sticks or shoulder buttons might as well not even be there during the more involved firefights.

How was I using overdramatic incorrectly? You yourself admitted that what you said might have been a little much.

And no, he probably won't change XP because he likes it the way he is.
I'm sure he could be convinced to change the quest rewards for a lot of stuff. Unfortunately it's impossible to contact him since he seems to live in a mining colony in fucking Antarctica.

>Have shops scale what they sell with your level (so temple and stuff can uncommonly sell healing and *healing* so you don't have to play the grind game)
I have no idea how to accomplish this or I'd give it a shot.
>nerf breaths so they don't do so much damage
This is in principle easy enough to do I think, I've seen the formulas before but I don't recall offhand where they are. What do you think would be more reasonable for max damages, or would you want the scaling changed as well?
>lower exp penalties for lots of races and classes
I have already done this for myself but I hate shilling my own shit.
>and make fewer enemies be able to summon
You may be able to do this yourself by editing r_info.txt. I'm not sure if all monsters are covered in it though. Basing that idea on this commit: github.com/poschengband/poschengband/commit/aaf01a912284f2e5eeec6a55161b6b6ef0d074b0

>balance drake
>probably the worst race in the game

heh

>shitty bloat races
>bloat
>b l o a t

This isn't DCSS

I thought you were using "overdramatic" as portraying me as massively asspained butthurt faggot.
I'd rather nerf the max damage as that shit can hit way too high especially if the monster decides to spam it.
>I have no idea how to accomplish this or I'd give it a shot.
Some user posted the formula for lucky and acquirement and what it does in regards to your level so scaling is definitely possible but that was like 6 or 7 threads ago.

>Some user posted the formula for lucky and acquirement and what it does in regards to your level so scaling is definitely possible but that was like 6 or 7 threads ago.
That's floor drops, not shops. Shops have fixed lists (other than black market) afaik, I have no idea if scaling is even possible with those.

I don't even know I've barely touched code ever.

Yeah, it's not that simple. You would have to entirely rewrite the shop code (and probably write a bunch of new code to scale to level as opposed to dungeon depth).

On the other hand, changing breath damage caps, changing EXP modifiers, tweaking monster spell lists, and adding items to shop lists is incredibly easy.

>and adding items to shop lists is incredibly easy.
pls tell me how to do this

I seriously don't even know where to begin to look for that shit and I've got a couple things I want to add.

Great then, as long as he at least works on the code and adds all that stuff then I'm okay.

Honestly I don't mind the exp penalties because to me the game gets a lot less fun once you hit level 50 and most monsters give you no benefit to killing them. Same reason I don't play androids.

I wish early game areas had better item drops, though, as it is you are encourage to skip as much of them as possible (or use the mechanics behind 555 to get better loot in the wilderness) since the way item level is calculated makes them low level for a long while.

555?

>mfw someone posted a nyaruko gif with a Lovecraft quote filename in the last thread

What's the best build for killing Pan Lords in DCSS?

Slap this flag onto the items you want.
Multiple flags are usually separated by |.
Make sure to re-run make install if you are self-compiling and installing.

Fuck me.

Given the changes in 5.0 that made it so the game no longer relies on raw files generated from those files, wouldn't it be possible to just edit and go?

Melee, but that's the best build for killing anything.

That's why I specified that you need to reinstall, but only if you actually installed pcb (i.e. you can run it by entering the command "poschengband" in any directory).

Background info: when you kill a monster, its drops are calculated based on the average of its level and the dungeon level (plus some other other wiggling for "great" droppers and such, I think). The deepest dungeon before the post-game is level 100, for reference.

There's a spot on the world map where a post game dungeon appears that has level 555, so killing even d:1 trash would often drop items with depth more than twice what you could normally generate. This specific abuse was removed, but the idea still holds, so killing weak monsters in, say, level 60 wilderness could produce up to level 30 items, while killing the same junk in the orc caves would be more like d:12 items.

This didn't sound as autistic in my head

how 2 get better loot in wilderness? i cant stand the early game grind.

fwiw I'm on windows. Also, are you sure this is all that's needed? Looking through k_info.txt (which seems to be the right file) there are a bunch of food items at the top with that flag that I've never seen before so I have to wonder if something else is involved.

On top of that, my browsing just worked its way down to the devices section (which is what I'm after) and there's just a single entry each for wand, staff, and rod. I had attempted to add the _STOCK_TOWN flag to the effects I was after in devices.c already but that doesn't seem to have helped.

You don't check the 1 shop very often probably.
Maybe post an image so I can see what you're talking about. I don't want to look through any more shitty code myself today.

I've checked it every time I've been in town since recompiling with that change and have yet to see either of the two wands I attempted to add show up in it. I've considered testing by unflagging everything else but haven't actually tried that yet.

Oh right the device ego change would totally fuck that up. I'll give it a test at some point this weekend and post in the thread if I have any success, assuming another user does not do so first.

If I ever find a way to free these two, would they fight each other?

No. In fact, they'd both be hostile towards you only.

Oh, well that sucks. You'd think the good and evil flags would make them hostile to one another. Whatever, should I make it that far i'll come back up to adopt TSO and free the angel after dumping okuwaru.

Pretty sure he'll still be hostile. They removed angels being peaceful if you worship a good god.

Flags are bloat.
AI is bloat.