/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

progress posting

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

thetagames.itch.io
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_button
youtube.com/watch?v=WcQllS-jreY
slidelondon.com/_downloads/SlideNormalThief/SlideTools-SlideNormalThief.rar
youtu.be/KV0-hQQbEkg
youtube.com/watch?v=23N_ebouoLs
youtube.com/watch?v=MgtV_byet7s
youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

found out aseprite git has animation export with json metadata and shit.

made an animation loader

>tfw the program crashes while recording

POST PROGRESS
POST PROGRESS
POST PROGRESS

My name is not important. What is important is what I'm going to do... I just fuckin' hate AAA games. And the human nerds feasting on their 3D graphics. My whole life is just cold, bitter hatred. And I always wanted to make game. This is the time of development and no publisher is worth saving. And I will put in the grave as many as I can. It's time for me to dev. And it's time for me to get rich. My indie crusade begins here.

>that webm after 0:06
WHAT ARE YOU DOING

It looks like his IDE jumped to somewhere in the STL when it crashed.

Give me ideas please

You pilot a mecha

A horror game where you interrogate random people in South Africa.

>delete no longer deletes objects in 3ds max.

How the fuck can this even happen?

>json
BLOAT

agdg tycoon.

>not using blender

What's with all the Tycoon ideas in AGDG lately?

A game about using a razor to cut hair following shapes

Ace Attorney, except everyone is birds.

I was thinking of you when I did it.

Google "Toca Hair Salon"

Here's your (You). Sorry for taking so long.

Too late.

fugg

Tycoon-Factory simulation game.
You are a bacteria colony inside a mouth. You need to expand your activity while making sure you don't get discovered and you resist oral hygiene procedures. Time progresses, different seasons, during winter people eat more sweets, during summer you might have periods where the host goes to parties and doesn't brush, etc..

Difficulty levels ranging from UK citizien to OCD autist

You're a bartender in space and have to serve different aliens that come by, and suit their needs. A slime monster wants slime, a robot wants oil, etc.

You will love my progress then. I made an program to convert my json animations to binary files, decreasing their size to 16% of the original. They will still take up 4KiB of disk space regardless because of file system blocks sizes though. Now it's a bit annoying to edit them since they're not plain text anymore and I have to convert them, but it's fine because they have cool magic numbers.

you're a whore in space and you have to fuck all kinds of aliens according to their needs. white males will rape you, white knights will ask for consent before they touch you etc

That's why you put small assets into archives (compressed or not) and load them all at once.

Fuck guys I smacked a fly and it exploded with hundreds of small larva
I almost vomited all over my keyboard
Its still hard to breathe and I think I lost my will to live

like papers please but instead of papers you'll have to look at turds and figure out what kind of diseases the people have
game is called turds please

This looks more like a remote controlled payload / suicide bomber ship that gets close to you and explodes in a big pink blast of plasma.

Yeah, you should either increase the jump height massively or make the game mostly horizontal with a bunch of elevators and such.

Only a couple fans should be wearing their caps backwards IMO, right now the crowd looks stupid.

kek. post a picture.

I can see this being a success

Happened to me when I was around 10. As you can imagine I refused to kill any kind of insect out of terror for almost 6 years

Why is framerate-dependent gameplay mostly a console thing?
Is there a reason it was so prevalent on early consoles in a way it wasn't on PC?

Obviously the issue sometimes gets brought over to PC games in the porting process, but mostly by Japanese developers who still seem to be caught up in that mindset.

Why do they do it?

Eventually they will be embeded in the executable

Because PCs are all different but consoles of the same type almost always have the same CPU RAM etc

About the ship, yeah I can see that. I wanted to make it painfully obvious that they're bad guys since there will also be civilian and police ships and if you shoot the wrong ones you'll be in troubles.

About bunny's fans, I plan to add another type of fan that uses the same model with some differences after finishing up their animations.

Consoles, especially early ones, have far more predictable performance.

It took a few hours, but I put all my older games on itch.io (all freeware):

thetagames.itch.io

Also,
>in a way it wasn't on PC?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_button

But even if your game predictably drops performance in certain areas, yeah you can script things in that area based on that assumption, but it's still going to fuck with the gameplay when your jump height or whatever varies between places.

Like with the Dark Souls (2?) weapon degradation speed being based on framerate, even if the performance was perfectly predictable, your weapon is going to break at different speeds depending on where you are and how many enemies are about.

Was it initially necessary for performance reasons or something?

Just working on the events that kick off after the boss is destroyed.

The camera circles around the craft and some congratulation text appears.
(The boss parts take one shot to destroy in the gif)

Just a few things left for the Demo Day.

- Need to damage player and asteroid when they collide
- A quick intro screen the the demo day.
- Player texture (even if its a placeholder for now).
- Redo skybox.

Then if I have time I can add some nice to haves.
youtube.com/watch?v=WcQllS-jreY

Released free cute 2D or 3D girl yet?

Are you Vietnamese?

Yes

17 anons joined Space Jam as of today.
I hope we will see at least 17 games when the Jam is over. Don't disappoint me.

Mostly this.
If you make a game for PS3 you know it will run exactly the same on every fucking PS3 on the planet, since is basically the same hardware and mostly the same software for all of them.
If you make a PC game you have a huge amount of different hardware and software. From a guy with the last rig avaiable on the market to a poorfag on a shitty laptop runing it at 30 fps, and yeah there is always a guy doing that.

What is Game Dev Tycoon?

Where?

devs in game dev tycoon have too much progress and too few memes

Even then, the guy using melee weapons has a different experience than the guy using FPS-tanking magic

I mentioned "predictable performance" because typically the games are programmed on the assumption that they will never drop below (or exceed) the target FPS during normal play.

The issue with DaS2 is that some things were framerate-independent while others were framerate-dependent due to oversight, and they STILL allowed the user to unlock the FPS on PC. Technically, yes, your weapon would degrade slower on consoles if the framerate ever dropped, but it's not nearly as noticeable as constant 2x degradation.

>Was it initially necessary for performance reasons or something?
No, it was just never even considered because there was never a need to run a game on different hardware except in the case of a port or localization.

Does anyone have access to the SlideNormalThief script for 3ds max? The download link seems to be broken.

slidelondon.com/_downloads/SlideNormalThief/SlideTools-SlideNormalThief.rar

If magic tanks FPS in the first place that's a big issue, doesn't matter if it's compounded by other problems related to framerate.

So you're just lying ok.

No, but I can see why some of the titles would make you think this. Some of the other games have other cultural references - though most have none at all.

If you post a cute anime girl (2D) in this thread, I'll use it in my game Needs to be not too high res, around 40-50px in height or so.

No, I'm sitting

AYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Friendly reminder that you can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets

So where are you from (as in country)? Do you speak some Viet? Why did you use Điện for the title?

Sorry if these questions annoy you, I'm just curious.

And that difference can be fatal on some games. Hence why games like MKX worked perfectly on console, but failed horribly on PC, because the port is so awfull is almost a miracle to find another guy that can run it at a constant amount of fps to play with.

You're making fun of me and I don't like you. You're a bully.

Please stop it's already hard to get one so don't put restrictions.

>when you have to dev but you want to play civ and civ games last an entire day
Shiet

You're never gonna make it

I know.

Didn't want to tell you this in this way, but I have my hands in my pockets because I'm masturbating furiously.

>have to dev
You are in the wrong thread.

I'm seeing a lot of VNs on Steam.
I don't think it would be very hard to make a good one, but the limiting factor I guess is art cost.
Does anyone know the average VN cost for an artist? I was thinking, if I had 6 or so main characters, with 20 'sprites' each, that's 120 mugshot images (let's say $20 per image?). If I had like 10 major events per character, that's 60 CG. I imagine a full CG is like $100? So that's already 120*$20 and 60*$100 = $8400. If I pay $1000 for sound/music...I guess is $10k a sufficient budget for a VN? Am I under/overshooting it?

I'm wondering what the returns are. Supposing a good story is written, with characters that connect to the weird otaku that buy this shit off steam, with some good mini-games to pad the thing out... Does a good VN make $10k back? Does it make even $20k USD? Anyone know?

Post your Space Jam work music.

youtu.be/KV0-hQQbEkg

is having portal gun going to be a copyright problem?

No.

But if you want to make a decent one in 3D they're deceptively complicated

>this video is not available in the great country of AMERICA

the model is easy, the portals are also easy to make if you can live without them being see through

Anyone here around when Notch stole Infiniminer to make Minecraft and also never gave out those copies he promised everyone who funded him?

The hardest part of the portal gun is rendering the other side of the portal. It's like rendering a mirror - it's why you don't see too many games with functional mirrors.

i'm not even participating on that jam but
youtube.com/watch?v=23N_ebouoLs

It's not annoying. I'm from the US. I don't Vietnamese either.

I wanted to give that game a unique name. I didn't want something generic like "Power Grid." So, I looked to languages/cultures that I had some idea of.

To me, hearing the word "Điện" as an outsider to the language, I think it sort of sounds like the idea it evokes. To me, I think of bursts of charge moving through a wire - an idea that fits perfectly with my game.

That's pretty cool. Good luck with your game, mate.

It's funny but I think lightning in Chinese is Dian - probably where it comes from in Vietnamese?

even i participate in space jam

odds i start working out the details of an actually brilliant concept

Not if you want physics.

*don't speak Vietnamese either

It's Den in Japanese.

Yes, I actually knew this about Chinese, and I think the Vietnamese word might follow from the same root.

The only issues are cutting holes in the level's collision geometry, the non-euclidean physics, and optimizing the rendering.

do you guys have any resources on how do RTS games implement pathing algorithms?
I mean I know how about A*, but how do they manage to compute pathing for maybe 100s of unit at once, when the terrain itself can change etc?

le nodey face

Oh, cool - all probably from the same root, then. That kanji character is the same as the traditional Chinese character, too (as most are, I suppose).

Thanks!

>$20 per image
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Try 1000$

Yeah, and the Portal team got hired by Valve for doing it.

Doing it to the standard of Portal probably isn't worth it if it's a throwaway mechanic.

what?

D* is similar to A* but is optimized for changing costs (i.e. changing/unknown terrain).

You can compute one path per formation, the difficult part is KEEPING formation.

For a simple face?
If it's really 1000, that must meant they're spending 66 hours on a single picture at $15 an hour.

nodes

Not music, but speaking of Gundam I'm gonna try to make this sound for my space game
youtube.com/watch?v=MgtV_byet7s
This warning sound is nostalgic for me.

Do you live in alaska or something? I can watch it just fine.

>$15 an hour.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We had 700$ dollar payments for some 16x16 sprite on AGDG already. Draw your conclusions from this.

I didn't say they're not complicated, but they're hardly deceptively complicated.

>no one posted the most obvious choice yet
youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

Probably you need to store the group as a formation object and consider a group of units as one big unit then have some manager class dictate movement for each unit in the group. You could use A* or D* for the group object I think.

understand that VNs are basically just books

you need to be able to write to make one before anything else