Own business in commodity-related industry

>own business in commodity-related industry
>sell business to outside investor who wants to re-purpose plant
>been looking for work for 6 months now
>went through all business contacts
>sent over 200 applications
>not even a single interview
>apply for higher-level positions and they tell me I dont have the right experience
>apply to lower-level positions and they tell me I'm way too overqualified
>HR departments make it impossible to actually speak to a human being and discuss where I might fit best in the companies I apply to
>unemployment running out next week

Am I now just fucked? Why is this happening? I mean, I ran my own successful business, have 3 degree including a masters (Management & Marketing BAs, Management MBA) and graduated at the top of my class. What do? At this point, I feel completely defeated and my confidence is shot.

why dont you start a new business?

> commodity-related industry
Can you actually tell us what you did instead of some vague bullshit? Like do you even want advice or just looking for somewhere to complain?

I bought/sold/milled/transported/warehoused ingrediants for animal feed, specifically animal by-products like blood, bone, feathers, etc.

I would, ideally, but don't really have any ideas at the moment.

why dont you just start the same business but in a different area/state

why not start up the same business again, but somewhere else? It worked once, why reinvent the wheel?

Small businesses in my industry are pretty much non-existent. We were, quite literally, one of the last. Regulation, offshoring, tax credits to large manufacturers, consolidation, etc killed them all off. Now there's just big corps like Cargil and Darling.

>there's just big corps like Cargil and Darling.
So have you applied to either of these?

Yes, like the rest of my industry, they are all downsizing their workforces and don't have any appropriate positions available.

sounds like you need to change industries

That's what I'm trying to do, really. Though I'm still looking around in my own. My problem is that when I apply in other industries they either think im over or under qualified. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

You sold a business and only made enough money to live for 6 months?

Was the commodity lemons

Was it a lemonade stand OP?

No, I still have a significant amount of money set aside. I just don't want to go into my savings and 6 months of unemployment is rather worrying.

Why are you dealing with HR? If you have so many business contacts then speak to the people directly. Surely you have names you can call directly that you have networked with over the years.

Take em out to lunch or something. HR a fucking worthless and wont help.

>If you have so many business contacts then speak to the people directly

I don't. Many of the people I worked with have either retired. moved to other industries, or been laid off.

I do agree, every HR office I've dealt with has been an absolute nightmare.

what's your job goal/ ideal career/ desired position?

If it's any consolation, the problem isn't you, it's that there's no one hiring in your field right now.

The good payrolls numbers the bls prints are almost entirely made up of near minimum wage service workers. The reality is that we're at about 12% unemployment currently.

Start a new business. Problem solved.

Barring starting my own thing, I don't really have much of a preference. I'll do just about everything.

minimum salary? Are you a shart in mart?

Don't really have one. Obviously, I'd like to earn something reasonable like 50-60kplus, but at this point I'm willing to do grunt work. Yes, I'm in the US, but used to live in the UK.

What is a businesses incentive to avoid "overqualified" employees?

Essentially, they think that overqualified employees will eventually leave to find a better job or require more pay. In practice, it just locks out a bunch of great applicants.

Get to work cleaning windows in mansions.

Try re-starting your business in another country then, one with less consolidation? Of course, you may have to learn a second language.

I may, at some point, start another business. Right now I need something to support myself until that day comes.

Suppose you could do anything. Given your management experience you'd probably be best of applying for either management roles or, applying for entry level positions, but state your situation in your CV, that you are starting work with the intention of becoming a manager in that business.

Wanna post your CV? Blank out your personal info of course.

with that kind of CV I'd recommend applying to senior management jobs. Check out any government jobs, not sure if there's a central site in the U.S akin to civilservicejobs.

I'd probably get rid of Pearson Education and Barnes-Jewish Hospital. It's too much information.

My concern is that a recruitment agent/hiring manager/ HR pleb, is unwilling to put the effort into reading a CV like this. Therefore keep it relevant to senior management.

Everything from 2007 tells me all I need to know in terms of senior management experience & capability. Except the dates are back to front in my eyes. Pedantic but, so are hiring managers.

Possibly make the text a little bigger therefore easier to read - make the hiring manager's job as easy as possible.

Put in a very VERY brief profile section. It will mention your workplace aims, and your normie hobbies.

e.g. Following the sale of my previous endeavour in business, I have a strong desire to return to the labour market within a senior management position.

In my free time, my hobbies include crushing my wife's puss and taking recreational drugs on the weekend.
________

Tailor the "Skills" section to *every* application. Look at the application and literally copy and paste the terminology into the skills section or into the employment history/experience part if you can.

Cred: Was previously a jobcentre adviser lol.

bump

>Tfw IT student
>Started a small computer repair service company to make a few monies
>First customer calls me a minute ago
>Says 50€ for formatting his laptop is too much
>The feels

50€ is ridicules senpai you know it

I don't know. What about the people that say make yourself invaluable. Is he not special enough to just plucked and placed in a company like this?

bump, plz hire