/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Demo Day SOON edition

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

bitlaw.com/copyright/fair_use.html
pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC
soundcloud.com/dagagmusic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

re-added land bouncing. Is a bit goofy but I will try to make it so you can push up too high. The problem with addforce is you need to ensure your current vector is zero but that is simple enough to do.

bitlaw.com/copyright/fair_use.html

First for let's collab.

Join collab jam
pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Why not more like the THX 1138 screen monitors? They dealt more with a weird society's work places. I suppose 1984 works too.

How bad is this blood splatter? It happens when you shoot and then pop the mosquito enemies blood bags.

Free released cute 2D or 3D girl yet?

>8x8 sprites are too small
>16x16 sprites are too big

Beginner musicguy here making one more plug someone make use of me please

soundcloud.com/dagagmusic

12x12...

Horrible. Not even realistic.

Never heard of a 12bit console.

yes

its 2016 why would you use a fucking 8 or 16 either you fucking retard

You really should stop lying on the internet.

How will I achieve the pixel aesthetic with some made-up resolution?

Care to give some pointers then?

8x8 and 16x16 aren't made up?

Your game is so beautiful. Are you using vector graphics?

whoa there cowboy, that bait is too high level for you

Sure. This is a ground blood splatter:

nope. I am painting everything in photoshop but I work at a large enough resolution that it should look clean no matter what. the only real issue is when the resolution is very small it starts to not work so well because the mipmaps generated aren't great but that can be mitigated with trilinear filtering.

No because they were used historically.
Using 12x12 would be like using Photoshop to recreate the Renaissance painting aesthetic, it's just not compatible.

That's even worse

Wait, what am i signing up here, what are you, what are you gonna do etc?

Wait, you're using Unity for 2D in the end?

>16x16 sprites are too big
Fuck off. You should be aiming for at least 50 pixels along one dimension. And that's for small sprites.

If you actually think 16x16 is acceptable you need to throw yourself in front of a moving train.

level of detail models

someone pls explain how to do them properly

>calling me that without any basis
wow you bully

>what is risk of rain main character

Should I even bother with learning GML? Or should I continue learning Python for PyGame?

>painting in photshop

just use SAI or illustrator dude

Nothing else really did what I wanted and unity is well enough.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Sorry but that's first of way less blood than my pool, secondly its on gravel and not on snow?

I think this is the first time I've been trolled with fake feedback.

There's no reason to use bigger resolutions if the art can be done in a small resolution and still be fully understood. You just don't get it.

Terrible.

May I ask about the actual numbers? I would like to take the same approach for my sprites, but I'm new to arts and graphic design and don't know what resolutions should I have for the original, and for the in game picture. Currently I'm aiming for 64x64 assets, but I fear that the original wouldn't scale well if I don't draw it at the right resolution. That's why I thought I might create the original in a vector graphics program like Inkscape.

>all these sprite- and pixelfags
holy shit kys, this is 2016, start making real games already

I don't know man. I'm not part of it

t. Lazy "artist"

You didn't say it was on snow.

> False feedback

There is no such thing.

Pixels are love, pixels are life

> Defining what an artist is for some one else

t. Some one who doesn't know what art is / salty programmer

Needs to be redder and clumpier.

I believe the recommended ratio is that the triangle count should drop by 50% for each level

where's your game?

>I can't into pixel art

I don't think that's what bit means and regardless 12bit memory architecture was a real thing.

You say that, but the picture with the blood on a snow surface wasn't kind of a hint?

And you still are only showing pictures of blood with no info on how it dropped or anything, and that's still like at 30cm acroos, my pool is around 1-2m., meaning that without you actually attaching your feedback those pictures mean nothing to me.

There we go, yeah, I'll try and make the "borders lighter but making the whole thing lighter made it look cartoony. And less uniform. Danke.

is this good? havent finished yet and am going to work on face then details

a sprite sheet or texture in general, or I guess any computer image I think, tends to work best when it is a squared power of 2. I don't know the history but I think this just also has to do with the bit processing power of machines.

but nowadays you can make sprites any damn size. plenty of games even that era had 42 pixel height, I think they just combined two sprites on top of one another for that effect. you could always do 32x that's a pretty nice size for simple sprites and they scale alright. If you get too big you might run into the problem KoF had where it could take you a year just to sprite one character because it's so large (they had insanely huge sprites though)

> Ask for feedback
> Is given feedback

> 'Nah that feedback is shit and invalid'

Kys.

Why's that bad? It first explains how to get an image into SDL. This is the part where he talks about surfaces. Then he explains how you can display that image as a texture, thus using GPU power, which is when you create a rendering context from said surface. If you read about this issue, you'll see that there's no workaround it. You have to load it to a surface then create a texture from it, then you copy that texture to the renderer. Don't forget to destroy the surface after you've created a texture from it.

Really, the first 20-25 tutorial is more than enough for a start. You don't even need timers or gamepad inputs for first, so all in all you need ~10 chapters (I personally saved 6 and used as reference).

You should join collab jam and have someone make a cute 2D or 3D girl for you

pixel noise
>fez, risk of rain
pixel art
>3rd strike, king of fighters XIII, castlevania

You say that but he actually took some feedback when given properly. U mad?

Bro I am the first time lurking in /agdg/ and you are a retard you can't evne see from your original image that it was meant to be snow, without knowing it.
He tried helping you and you just pissed back jesus christ.

> U mad?

You have to go back.

wouldnt the snow melt from the heat of the blood some (90+ degrees) so shouldnt there be a depression in the middle of your pool? further more wouldnt it look less consistent.

kill yourself

you should fix your snow before working on the blood splatter

Thanks for the explanation! So if I get you right, you let the game engine itself scale the images for you for the correct size?

Sorry but just posting and image and saying "Yours looks nothing like this" isn't feedback, especially if the image is only loosely connected to what was trying to be achieved.

This is also good feedback, see how he doesn't just post a random image?

Here's a samefag, they are most easily identified by post timings and being mean

This is bad feedback since it doesn't contain any actual feedback, only "x thing looks bad" instead of "x thing looks bad because of y"

>that quake software mode graphics

>U mad
Trolling is against the rules

Reminder to post with trip #rocket to collab with the team that will win space jam

>doesn't contain any actual feedback
so only positive feedback is feedback now?

Unity's camera (if in perspective mode) seems to automatically scale the image but I tried pixel art in unity once before and it is not fun.

when I tried some stuff in LOVE2D the way that had to be done is you set a resolution and then you could scale the entire window with an inbuilt function. It depends on what engine you're using. I imagine gamemaker might have something like that too. Pixel art games will have to lock their aspect ratio too.

then again if you're using a point and click engine like the adventure game studio I thin it's called it actually has none of those functions inbuilt r even possible I think so make sure you research whatever engine you're working on.

Fuck is the spoopy thread police back again? I hope they would stop bullying him once he stopped reposting the shame shit over and over.

Is there a shader to emulate that sort of effect?

> Here's a samefag

Nice try mate. I gave you an example of how blood looks on the ground. Splattered down, following a pattern which is logical to the situation.

Your image didn't contain a pattern nor was it logical.

You didn't specify the ground was snow nor is it to be seen that way. Your blood is black and nót red and it doesn't contain any shading.

There you go. Feedback.

And who's going to make us the art?

You're not sincerely suggesting that we should BUY arts to make AMATEUR GAMES are you?

>giving feedback when asked for it is now bullying

What are you even doing?

Do you have a base mesh? as in a naked person?

why cant you just take the feedback and shut the fuck up like the rest of us, negative or positive, you weak boned little girl

no

REMEMBER TO EAT BREAKFAST AND DRINK SUGARLESS TEA

REMEMBER TO TAKE BREAKS EVERY COUPLE OF HOURS

A HEALTHY DEV IS A PRODUCTIVE DEV

So you don't understand the difference between "Hey this is shit" and "Hey this is shit because it should have more of this and this and less of this"

Both of those are "negative" but only one is feedback. No wonder all the good devs are leaving the thread 10 bucks spoopy will just stop posting again.

Fucking nodevs.

See now even the original troll realises he didn't give actual feedback.

>Hey guys how does this look?
>"Its horrible"
>Okay, can you tell me why?
>"Nah"
>But then its not really feedback just bashing since i can't improve if you don't give me a hint as to how?
>"HURR YOU MAD BECAUSE OF FEEDBACK?

sent :)

>mollusks can form pearls around microscopic intruders
now I'm imagining 'bigclammer' doing it to much larger organism.

it's pretty hot

>sugarless drinks

i would kill myself without my diluted arizona

k, thanks

You should make one first. It helps with clothing models. Wrinkles on clothing follow the human figure, which is why its recommended to make a base mesh of a human and rip parts of the body to solidify them.

> The original troll

You mean me.

> 'nah'

That's not what I said.

Fun fact. A week ago I posted a pixel art drawing of a pistol. I asked for feedback. I got feedback. I got pissed off because it wasn't the feedback I asked for.

Looking back at it, I feel like I was being a salty old coon.

Pic related, image I posted

you seem to think feedback is the same thing as "constructive criticism"
you are wrong

No you should fairly use commercial art :^)

>See now even the original troll realises he didn't give actual feedback.

im gonna go out on a limb and say your game is probably shit

im going for a cartoony style

A windowed game where the enemy spook LEAPS OUT OF THE GAME WINDOW!!

Here's your (you)

Don't use Pygame. If you're learning Python I'd say try out Godot. It has its own scripting language too, but it's very similar to Python.

I only posted 2 things in this thread and then the drama squad came in and hijacked it. Its the reason I try to keep my posts lighthearted as this otherwise happens for some reason. I learnt my lesson before and if it doesn't have an original image in it its quite likely someone pretending to be me sadly.

Yeah the color thing occured to me, but it looks so cartoonish when "reality red". Might try it though.

Any suggestion on how? Right now its almost not even a texture so i guess its time to work on it aswell, it looks like snow in context though and it has some of that characteristic glittering when viewed up close.

Mm, will add more "clumps" to it.

Its not me ya fool.

Stealing this idea for the next spoopy/halloween jam

If the blood is black it isn't blood. Simple as that. No one is going to see it as blood. It's going to look like oil.

And it doesn't even look like oil.

That picture is from a scorch mark though. (On snow where's your god now huh??)

But yeah i'll lighten the blood splatter some, guess it now looks like its tried up (which isn't the case)

modelling this gun is not as easy as i thought it would be