/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

rashbandicoot.com/2016/07/05/gameboy-advance-emulator-is-coming-to-xbox-one/
pastebin.com/z2AbGBSt
reddit.com/r/EmuDev/comments/4ramh0/ferris_inspired_me_to_try_writing_an_nes_emulator/
wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Before_the_basics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So where do we migrate? There's a dead /emugen/ thread on the 8th chan we might want to resurrect.

Veeky Forums is obviously too fast for us, soon we'll just give up on making threads, if we want to regroup somewhere else it's now or never.

I was thinking of the Veeky Forums board on 8 chan by the way. There are a few other boards where it could live but I guess there's no point in making it even more obscure than it is.

I think emugen is fine.

The thread just dies at night because only ausfags are awake and this thread doesn't have enough shitposting for them to post here.

PC-98 cores in libretro when?

The real solution is to increase the thread limit on Veeky Forums. It hasn't been touched since like 2013.

I think /emugen/ belongs on /vr/ because
a) emulation is about past systems and
b) threads don't die so fast on there
so,..

Veeky Forums used to allow /emugen/ to last for weeks despite slow posting. It's too crowded now so the thread limit should be increased by whoever the fuck is in charge now (is it still hiroshima?)

Have fun never talking about anything past Dreamcast emulation or otherwise incurring the wrath of NOT RETRO posters.

Also all the retards on Veeky Forums mostly stick to their own retard threads and don't bother /emugen/ that much. You won't get that on /vr/.

I wonder if there are other generals in our situation. /ksg/ can't be more active than us, right?

Generals die all the time, user.

RIP /cyg/

like tears in rain

Yeah but /emugen/ is more generic and timeless than most other generals.

We could always just stop linking the wiki and become tech support general.

Then we'd be as fast as /hbg/

how many rx 480s do i need for emulation

At least 8

true. autism extravaganza

What was the name of the GBA documentation leak that enabled Visual Boy Advance to have zero day emulation? Was it WarioWorld?

your fault for driving out all quality posters like mudlord, sp and mooch

ew

rashbandicoot.com/2016/07/05/gameboy-advance-emulator-is-coming-to-xbox-one/

>1317

Why are you quoting random numbers?

Are there any Android Emulators that let me speed up, like other emulators can do.
Bluestacks doesn't speed up.

Anyone has a working drastic emulator? No root. Getting tierd of searching and finding bullshit

>VBA10 is a Windows 10 Gameboy emulator that’s capable of playing all your gameboy games include Advance

Not him but look at the screenshot resolution.

No

No

No, because any usable Android "emulator" is actually just virtualization.

That's gay.

What do you mean no? Faggot fight me or else. Wth man....fuck

No you can't get a non legit copy of Drastic running properly on a non rooted device, I'm not even sure you can at all.

Why continue the suffering? Just let emugen rest in peace.

priating emulators is illegal

What about aspect ratios?

Stretched 21:9

Cinemascope or DCI 4k

Any good bluetooth controllers for android emulation?

Literally just like in my childhood.
My PSX's GPU broke somehow making weird glitches.

Second
It's not the same without buttons

That's some good z-buffer

DS3/4, clip on pads are good for size/looks but shit for actually playing games.

Fuck this shit. Madenafen is broken or some shit. I have followed every possible step, and it is just straight up not doing anything. I just want to play a game, since on PCSXR it didn't let me save, since it couldn't detect the memcard for some reason. Why is this shit so complicated.

You put three .bin's (they're linked on the wiki) in the BIOS folder, and drag the .cue onto the mednafen.exe

I think you might actually be retarded

Aint the ds3 need root to even work?

use retroarch

'Internal color depth' and 'Scale dithering pattern with internal resolution' core options don't seem to be working on mednafen-libretro. And not sure why the second one was added at all when that's handled by the 'Dithering pattern' option.

Kill me. Okay I'll admit it, I am a retarded. See, I renamed everything, but I still had all of the other files in the BIOS folder. I didn't just have only the 3.

Some of those are used by the sw renderer, others by the gl renderer.

UI design at its finest.

I had tried that, but forgot you had to switch to opengl when using mednafen-libretro-hw. Figured that would've been set by default.

What filter? I have a strange obsession with making my games look like they're running off an old TV.

After the c64 cores which will happen when they make another 13 snes cores.

That does not look like an old TV.

Looks like one to me.

If more people in this gen actually knew something about emulators we'd be able to discuss our own emulator projHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CRT Royale

pastebin.com/z2AbGBSt

New to the emulation scene here and am planning on developing a small game for the NES What programming language is required?

I've seen some NES games use Assembly, but I was wondering if I could get away with using a higher, object-oriented language... Thoughts?

C99

C++ was a mistake

You need to use ASM for the NES/Famicom. The fact that you think you can use anything else means you're not ready to take on NES development.

Rust

reddit.com/r/EmuDev/comments/4ramh0/ferris_inspired_me_to_try_writing_an_nes_emulator/

Well... You're probably right! Which is why I'm asking.

Would you say this: wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Before_the_basics
is a good starting point?

I'm still having trouble trying to figure out the difference between C and C99... (I think how new I am at programming is painfully apparent by now)

That website is the best starting point anyone could ask for, and that's including getting your hands on an SDK from 1984 from Nintendo themselves.

I'll make the logo.

It will be a cold day in hell before I go to your miserable 'chan, Fredrick.

It's not his anymore though.

For NES you basically have to use ASM, you might try to use C (is there even a C compiler targeting the NES CPU?) but dealing with the various low level shenanigans of the console will seriously limit you to very low level code.

For instance you'll have to deal with ROM banking (unless you only write a very trivial code which doesn't need to bank anything), dealing with that in C sounds... interesting.

I think nowadays it's probably easier to write a NES emulator than a non-trivial NES game.

I tried to do this general a solid just last night and keep it alive by announcing news that might be of interest to our niche Mac users and got nothing but distilled autistic REEEEEEEE in return.

You dumb cunts do it to yourselves.

I think emugen is fine as it is.

You have to realize while not necessarily niche, it still is. Why talk about emulating specifically, and here, instead of going to a relevant point of discussion for what you're playing (see: this board).

There's nothing wrong with constantly reviving the thread as needed. If anything it would be considered that at any point there may be enough justifiable discussion, or not.

In either case, at the very least, it means at least one person wants to discuss it (or the short end of the stick: seeing discussion) by reviving the thread and that's enough.

Good luck. Hiroshima only likes the _idea_ of owning a 'chan, not actually managing it. It gives him delusions that he didn't get raped in the ass by that skeeze Jim Watkins over 2ch. He can just pretend that none of that whole shitstorm ever happened.

/vr/ already tried having a competing Emugen. It was promptly crippled by their usual brand of autism and cross-board shitposters from here (it wouldn't have lasted anyway, so I don't really hold it against you guys).

I'd just like to remind everyone here that /vr/ doesn't have a fucking clue when it comes to emulation and readily recommends shit like ZSNES and ePSXe.

>readily recommends shit like ZSNES and ePSXe.
Except they don't.
They shit on you when saying that you use ZSNES. Just like people do here.

But I use ZSNES

It's about maintaining a balance, really. Linking to the wiki/google is fine if you've had tons of the same question in a really short period of time, but some people on here reply with nothing but (as if /emugen/ were the wiki instead of the Veeky Forums thread; sorry buddy, I'm pretty sure the General came first).

ZSNES might not be the best example but I've seen people unironically reccomend shit like jNES, NEORAGEX, Winkawaks, raine etc

The problem is when /hbg/ switched to tech support general it also became 3DS general.

Mention the existence of any other console there and enjoy being shunned. Might luck out and get one or two relevant people .

You need to go back to /r9k/ and stay there.

Veeky Forums doesn't _do_ extended projects. Never happened, not gonna happen, not even once. Now, you could recruit a subgroup _out of Veeky Forums_ , plan and execute whatever you're aiming to do in some other more focused online social environment. But don't think you'll ever write so much as a line of code coordinating purely on the 'chan. It ain't happening.

No, it's someone far worse.

>What is Katawa Shoujo
>What is VA-11 Hall-A

/emugen/ is indeed largely fine. I think it could be opened up to a little bit more games discussion, and it needs a more available caretaker to revive it when need be, but all the basics are here.

Never heard of 'em.

What's the difference between OpenGL and Direct3D in dolphin?

One is on the path of being deprecated, the other is.

OpenGL is typically better, but DX11 will usually run faster on AMD GPUs.

Everytime somebody post game screenshots he's accused of blogging by the resident shitposters.

No, they've never done that. Their problem is more that they refuse to even recognize emulators as a legitimate means of experiencing these games. Most would seriously see nothing wrong with blowing thousands per-system to get pristine units and carts (no repros mind you; that's CHEATING!).

I don't care what your fiscal responsibilities are: that's just wack.

so if I have an i5 but AMD GPU, which should I use?

That's one of the things that needs to stop. Unless someone has gone on for near a hundred posts about the same game (and another general already exists for it), I see nothing wrong with a little gaming discussion.

If you're getting GPU bottlenecked, DX11. Otherwise, OpenGL.

SFC30 for 2D games.
PS3 or PS4 controller for 3D games.

The PS3 controller might, but the PS4 controller supports Direct Input natively, so it will pair like any other Bluetooth controller.

Seriously we're on page 9 after only 16minutes. We can't win this.

Not with that attitude

>nobody posting content
>every other post is "lol y ded tho?"

Huh... This place really is on par with Reddit.

Unlike this place, /r/emulation is alive and well.

Alive maybe, certainly not well.

ipega 9027 is GOAT
Has an actual good Dpad that people who aren't Nintendo apparently aren't allowed to fucking make, but they do it anyway because lolchinese.

What does that even have to do with reddit.

>content