/domg/ - Dominions General

Forester Bob edition

Previous Pantokrator >147267376

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/dHdZ1cch (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam (currently -50%). Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Work on the Wiki!

First for glorious C'tissian resistance.

One of these threads has to survive, I'm throwing in with the new one.

DEATH TO THE FALSE /DOMG/

Yeah, I don't care enough. It's just a bit odd is all, especially when thread is still all dead

work on the wiki

EA Caelum - an awake Azi can expand, while still giving you the paths to summon your ebil guys. Since you already have D on your best mage, you don't need your pretender to site search for them either. So you take it awake, Dom5, O3, C3, G3, Mis1, Neutral magic/prod. Expand with pretender + elephants. You have a dragon for early game, then you get to spend your D gems on big mages that open up yet more options for you in the late game.

Can someone explain why are we on 96h turns now?

>Bumping a thread you want to kill

you can do better: F1D2 and take one scale and dom6;
you can still reach D3F2 with 2 boosters; 1 production or magic will help you a lot early game.

however i just think that imprisoned is often a better idea... you expand really well anyway and you are happier small but with ridicolous scales than big and everyone wants to kill you. because you are still fucking caelum and everyone hates you.You also don't run the risk of crashing your god into an expansion party and losing the paths.

you typically just happen to need the summons and have the gems and research to summon just by when the imprisoned god breaks free.

Ask the admin

you got malacucked

I have no idea who that is and was quite sure hes not even active - as he allowed Lanka to stall forever.

He Granted me eextensions twice (I'm kailasa) so he must at least check the thread

>tfw

What game?

Every game ever

This

Fucking this.

when you lose the will to play but your pride won't let you quit

Just invade your strongest neighbour.

If he kicks your as you can quit the game without shame, and if you win the game just got a lot more interesting.

Hi, I'm fairly new to the game and I have trouble understanding how to use SCs effectively.

The only unit I can even turn into a half-decent SC is my pretender. Even if I do that, more often than not they get diseased or otherwise afflicted and from that point on they're as good as done. Other commanders don't even get a passing grade as even with the best gear they easily die to small armies.

Is there any point in crafting a full loadout of items for each SC commander, or should I limit it at 1 or 2 (or 0?) and make the unit expendable?

Do most nations even have access to viable SC units, other than the pretender?

SCs are severely overrated in Dom4. They're mostly just a remnant from Dom3 where they were more viable. Almost anything an SC can do, a thug can do just as well for a fraction of the cost.

Easiest example - tartarians. You don't need SC to JUST hit things with a pointy stick. You can, for example, cast 10 RoS, and survive it.

A thug is what, exactly? Just a tough unit with minimal item investment?

Yes, minimal investment and can beat a lot of pd/normal unsupported units.

Yeah.

The iconic thug is a Bane Lord with a Fire Brand and a Vine Shield. It's undead so it doesn't get fatigued, and the brand+vine shield combo means it can take on loads of regular units with relative ease. You can just throw it at any amount of PD and it'll come out on top 99% of the time.

if by SC you mean " dude that can kill 25 points of PD" then your pretender is definitely overkill and 3 items are usually what you aim at.I call them thugs.

if by SC you mean " dude that can kill a small army with some mages" then it's difficult to achieve and most likely going to need 5+ items to cover up elemental resistences and MR, designed around enemy mages.they will fail against an enemy with a well scripted army of mages.

the most classic low cost thug is bane lord ( 12 death gems summon) with a frost brand ( 5 W gems), vine shield (10 nature gems). i think it needs either an armor of knight( 5 E gems) or a ring of regen do truly kill big groups of GOOD PD. we are talking of more or less 25 gems ( not counting lame craft bonuses).

undead get no fatigue from attacking so they are easy to make a thug as long as they have decent hp and MR.

basically all crappy thughs need: 0 encumbrance, 1 encumbrance works but for few turns, not safe.
high protection and a minor way to avoid damage ( vine shield, ethereal, awe) OR super high defense, a horse and several chance based damage avoidance stacked onto each other.
sometimes ring of regen or another source of regen if you figure out you are still taking damage.
20+ base hp. the more the better but if you are in 10 range you are risking too much.
not shit base attack and strenght, can be compensated by weapon.
a way to kill multiple units each turn. frost/fire brand are great. hopefully they will end up with a 16-20 attack weapon that does high armor piercing damage. you don't want to swing at 3 militia for 4 turns.

Which nation has the best assassin? I want to make a pstt nothing personnel 1 vs 1 thug.

you know that in the roman-greek pantheon there is an edgy titan that can be an assasin.

SCs are usually quite expensive to build.

Could I ask for some examples of chassis you've tried so I can point out the traits they have which make them unsuitable for SC duty? Very few commanders have the potential to become a SC, and most of them require summoning or are a pretender.

I like them for the mobility. Thugs can't go up against anything with mages, and armies are almost always limited to MM1.

SCs provide a useful medium - can't go up against armies with heavy anti-SC measures, but aren't stopped by a handful of mages (unless they have blood, fuck blood magic).

The best assassins typically use summons/spells instead of hitting things. Mictlan's Tlaheulpuchi with a water bottle and a handful for slaves to cast LfaL can probably beat the majority of targets you'd want to hit with an assassin.

What unit in-game has the most ambidextrous skill? And what can I do to increase it? I need this for science.

Hard to remember everything, but I tried some giants like Niefel Jarls and Dai Oni. Mounted commanders like Wind Lord and Paladin. Finally foot commanders and assassin types, like Lord Guardians and Bane Spiders.

In all cases I tried to cover weaknesses with items: nullifying encumbrance, adding defence, adding useful modifiers. Still, the most hilarious success I remember is a Lord Guardian dominating a tournament without any gear because the AIs sent in their prophets. Other than that I fared poorly against PD and mixed armies.

I even tried some silly stuff like gift-of-reason'ing a few Hydras to outfit them with some defensive gear. Didn't last one battle vs PD.

I was told I can wish for girls, fucking liars.

Literally have to refer to then as slaves

I just got pretty fucking dumpstered.

And to think I was having a nice evening until this came up. I hope I at least got a few Astral Corruption horror attacks out of it.

What happened? The commanders got assassinated or something?

Not having mind hunt protection as a goddamn LA Abysia with a goddamn air access is ASKING FOR IT.

>I tried some giants like Niefel Jarls and Dai Oni
Niefel Jarls and Dai Oni should make great SCs.

What did you gear them with, how did you script them, and what killed them?

>Mounted commanders like Wind Lord and Paladin.
Main issue with those would be way too low hp. Anything which can die in one spell is a very risky SC to field.

Secondary issues are lack of magic paths and lack of intrinsic defenses (resistances, ethereal, MR, regen, etc).

These can barely work as thugs, but not very well and generally need too much gear.

>Finally foot commanders and assassin types, like Lord Guardians and Bane Spiders.
Same issues as mounted commanders.

Worse defense skill than the mounted stuff means they don't even work as thugs.

>I even tried some silly stuff like gift-of-reason'ing a few Hydras to outfit them with some defensive gear. Didn't last one battle vs PD.
That's not too surprising - hydras make poor SCs.

Main issues are a lack of slots to add items (only two misc), and no magic paths to buff itself.

Nataraja and Destroyer of Worlds are tied at 10 skill. Closely followed by Danava, at 8 skill.

I think one of the heroic traits increases it. I don't know of any other way to improve it.

Jesus christ the contrast between this guy's sprite and the rest of the map makes it all the more horrifying.

Abandoned blitzes make pantokrators cry. And it only seems to happen in interesting ones that I'm doing well in.

>not renaming your prophet
You're a terrible person, user. I want you to know that.

I forgot to first turn then I figured nobody would see his name often enough for it to matter. Next time for sure.

For the Onis: Chainmail of Displacement, Shield of Valor, Firebrand, Horror Helm, Girdle of Might, Ring of Regeneration.
Scripted to Summon Earthpower, Temper Flesh, Mistform if they have it and just go in.
Surprisingly killed by nothing special: lucky crippling hits from some spammable troops with high att.
I admit, they did work better than all the others.

Now that I think about it, that one lucky hit is all it takes even for the best SCs. My favorite SC pretender was a dom10 Virtue - almost unhittable due to stacked Awe and stuff like Etherealness from items. Oneshot by some lucky hit from cavalry. That guy must've been really happy for having killed a god.

Dai Oni's should be casting soul vortex, pheonix pyre, invulnerability and mistform if they can
Maybe Firestorm as well if there's a really big army to kill although that will fatigue them out a lot

Try a Vine shield instead of the shield of valor

This is what happened:
That army had only Pazuzu, geryon and Gorilon as commanders.

So I wished for pazuzu (full geared with 90 gems worth of equipmentand tons of air gems).
Spammed mind hunt and earth attack to get rid of Geryon or gorilon. Then i had some starchildren with 2 bottles of water each one (i tested it and gorilon's skeletons and geryon's personal regeneration protected them from assassinations with only one elemental).

But the demon lord died to mind hunt and gorilon died to earth attack.
Then a starchild made the demons rout, having nowhere to run. So they died.

Which game?

Natgen?

TheNewCool

ADMIN PLEASE WHERE ARE YOU SET LANKA AI IF YOU HAVE TIME TO POSTPONE

Der_Gotterdammerung ULM

I NEED TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT AN URGENT THING, MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN

I think I've finally found the motivation to do some Dominions modding and at last add in Nonmen/Men/Inchoroi/Consult factions from Bakker's Second Apocalypse series. Making decent sprites is gonna be pretty rough, though..

Also I just read the recently-released new Aspect-Emperor entry (The Great Ordeal), ask me anything. (If you don't want me to spoil past X book in the series, let me know in advance)

I just started reading that series. Seems bretty gud so far, although I'm waiting for everything to go wrong very quickly

Wait, the next book finally came out?

Does it have a "what came before" because fuck if I remember the last 5 books.

Jon Snow was stabbed and died and Stannis was stuck in that blizzard and now is about to fight Boltons and...

shall we blitz in one hour?

pretty common nationgen result.
worth checking if after dying they turn into a small air elemental...sometimes they do stupid shit like that!

>Does it have a "what came before" because fuck if I remember the last 5 books.

Yep, has a 30ish page "what came before" that even reveals some info about the happenings in the first 5 books that was either only implied or indirectly hinted at in the actual books.

This book has some pretty massive revelations, too.

>Seems bretty gud so far, although I'm waiting for everything to go wrong very quickly

It's honestly one of the most compelling fantasy stories I've ever read. One of the best features of the series imo is that unlike most fantasy series where once you learn certain "twists" or major plot revelations it renders entire chunks of the earlier story redundant or obsolete on a re-read, the Second Apocalypse books have little hints and bits of info present in even the very first book that feed into ongoing story arcs in the latest books, making a re-read of the whole series a lot of fun.

I happily would, but I fear that I lack the time to do so before I leave for work.

Shit, this means I have to keep playing the game

just end my suffering, This game needs to die

Also, that's a lot of fucking skeletons

do we blitz?

wanna blitz?

>66 posts and page 10

Wish for virgins or slaves and you'll get the "lab fills with girls" message.

It's a bad time

>wish doesn't actually create anything and is just a high level teleport spell

Yeah I just teleport all this power into the dick and dominion into the believosphere every month.

Exactly!

>vampire lords -2
my keks

So is that illuminati domg Fate game actually going to happen, or was the dude who posted that joking?
I'd also be down for domg/illuminati themed mafia if that were to happen

As a person involved in mentioning it, I would want to join said game.

That one guy wished for his opponent's demon lord. Seemed that it worked out okay

Oh, actually, did that bring him in as a hostile, or did you actually get to control him?

NECROMATIC KNOWLEDGE

Sorcerous Succor

Arcane Assistance

Enchanting Encouragement

meme magic

blitz in chat

Warlock Wellwishing

we are starting blitz. we need a third man. possibly a fourth man, hopefully a mad man.

Conjurer Cooperation

but "Mage Support" isn't alliterative

It's easier to come up with and remember alliterative names.

But Hypnotists' Helping Hand is.

MAGE MEDIATION

HA HA TIME TO BOOTSTRAP BLOOD

If only LA Agartha had N.