TPP

Alright guys, I am sure someone made this type of thread before, but what the hell is the TPP? Who is it good for? Who is it bad for? Why do people support/protest it? Is there a reason that both Hillary and Trump are against it? Also, how similar is the European version of the TPP?

Other urls found in this thread:

eff.org/issues/tpp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership#Membership
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the TPP allows US companies to sue foreign companies that steal their copyrights, patents, trademarks, etc.

it's good for the US and potentially good for other countries as well.

both candidates oppose it because their base is comprised of paranoid schizophrenics that fear the government. All voters see is a scary acronym and government activity. That by itself is enough to make them hate it, but on top of that they have people trying to explain why it's good which we all know means they're lying shills for the shadow government.

americans are retarded. If they weren't retarded they'd all be rich.

Interesting. So why do people think that it somehow affects internet privacy? Is that just paranoia or does that come from the text of the bill? Or is it reddit tier hipsters reading "copyright" and going apeshit?

>the TPP allows US companies to sue foreign companies that steal their copyrights, patents, trademarks, etc.
it also allows Chinese companies to sue the US government for passing regulations that hurt their bottom line

afaik it has little effect on internet privacy, which doesn't technically exist in the US anyways.

it would make it easier, e.g., for Disney to sue Veeky Forums for anonymous users posting Disney's copyrighted images here. So it has the potential to cripple youtube, facebook, reddit, whatever. All while severely limiting what individual users are allowed to post.

this is bound to happen eventually anyways, the stuff people post on the internet mostly doesn't belong to them and it's just a matter of time before the people that own it take it back.

>It's okay to destroy online communication because someone is going to do it eventually anyway

Wait a minute, so I am getting mixed messages here. Who can sue Whom in this agreement?

But I like Veeky Forums gifs.....

Corporations can sue anyone if they can make an argument that they're gonna lose money.

sort of true but mostly propaganda.

corporations can already sue anyone for any reason, including ones that won't hold up in court like that one.

the agreement does make it possible for Chinese companies to sue Americans for loss of profits due to competition,

but it doesn't mean they'll win.

So if I sell an unpatented product that competes with a corporation's product they can sue me? I feel like Chinese corporate laws might be gaining laws here in the US considering that my states governer (Mr. Dayton) is going to give Louisiana Pacific millions of dollars so that they can monopolize the timber industry in Minnesota. Maybe that's a little far fetched to say.

What I mean by that is that he thinks that a state sponsered monopoly is worth it because of "job growth"

eff.org/issues/tpp
>All signatory countries will be required to conform their domestic laws and policies to the provisions of the Agreement. In the U.S., this will further entrench controversial aspects of U.S. copyright law—such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)—and restrict the ability of Congress to engage in domestic law reform to meet the evolving needs of American citizens and the innovative technology sector. Overall, the TPP's provisions that recognize the rights of the public are non-binding, whereas almost everything that benefits rightsholders is binding.
>Create copyright terms well beyond the internationally agreed period in the 1994 Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS). The TPP could extend copyright term protections from life of the author + 50 years, to Life + 70 years for works created by individuals, and 70 years after publication or after creation for corporate owned works (such as Mickey Mouse).
>It will compel signatory nations to enact laws banning circumvention of digital locks (technological protection measures or TPMs) [PDF] that mirror the DMCA and treat violation of the TPM provisions as a separate offense even when no copyright infringement is involved.
>The U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) is putting fair use at risk with restrictive language in the TPP's IP chapter. Companies that adopt more user-friendly rules could also risk lawsuits by content industry investors who believe these rules limit their profits.
>With no good rationale, the agreement would outlaw a country from adopting rules for the sale of software that include mandatory code review or the release of source code. This could inhibit countries from addressing pressing information security problems, such as widespread and massive vulnerability in closed-source home routers.

this has always gone on in the US though, whether it's using eminent domain to condemn the property of some individuals and businesses, or giving better tax rates to certain companies in exchange for their doing business in your area.

It's an agreement that unites countries under a trade zone whose rules supersede the rules passed by those countries laws. It is an agreement which creates a higher power that the US Congress would have to bow to.

>what the hell is the TPP?
More rapacious globalist trash.

>Who is it good for?
Companies and politicians who trade inside information

>Who is it bad for?
Everyone else.

21st century colonialism by contract.
No its not propaganda its exactly what it is

As with any free trade deal, it is literally ONLY good for the US and leeches from other partners.

I have a problem with pharmacy companies suing because they can't advertise on my TV. I have a problem with tobacco companies being able to sue over plain packaging.

I can't see it being ratified in my country. Too much bad press (even if it's wrong)

No, it's bad for the US as well because it makes our regulations illegal and cucks social media.
Good for our corporations, definitely.
Good for our politicians, maybe.
Good for our country or our people? Not a chance.

>As with any free trade deal, it is literally ONLY good for the US
Is that why the US has an absurd trade deficit?

There was a similar clause in NAFTA and while Canada and Mexico have both had to strip their laws, the U.S. hasn't lost a single case.

holy fuck, bullshitting this much
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership#Membership
china is not even part of the TPP
this literally hurts everyone, because companies will push for more "intellectual property" bullshit (i.e., piracy, seeds, drugs), prices of these things will go up and neither govts or people will be able to do shit. basically, it only benefits big transnational corporations.

I fulfill my prescriptions from Canadian pharmacies for cheap (I'm a burger)

Will the TPP make this illegal?

>Is there a reason that both Hillary and Trump are against it?

Hillary has done a 360 on it because it was one of Trump's main points. She was pro TPP like 6 months ago.

>TRANS PACIFIC PARTNERSHIP
>TRANS PACIFIC
>PACIFIC
Do u even think?