Agdg

Demo day a day away edishun

>Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

>Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC (embed)

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd (embed)

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw (embed)

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

instaud.io/slO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We Super Metroid now.

Also ladders you can jump on and off of.

looks boring as shit.

I started working on the human enemy ai. So far they are able to follow the player if they see him, or go look at the last place they saw him if the lose him. They can also equip weapons and aim them. Next step will be making them not totally dumb so for example paroling around and stuff like that.
Also made it so enemies can receive damage, and have critical spots for them sweet headshots

Since when did he have tighty-whities on? I've been away a while.

I'm impartial to the running animation but the jump is pretty nice

Is it just me or did Momodora bring NOTHING new to the table.

All it did was do "generic platformer" well.
Coherent / nice graphics.
Juice.
Enough content to play 5+ hours.

Now that I have bounce lighting turned on, I spent some time trying to figure out how to get a day/night cycle going. I'm not really sure its regularly done but I added a sky light and a directional light (sun). The sun's intensity ramps up from 0 to 10 and back to 0 at dawn/noon/dusk, while the sky light's intensity is set inversely proportional to the sun. This is sort of alright, but there's not really any shadows at night so it looks sorta weird. I'd have to look at how other games do it for some ideas. Also, the transition from the skylight to the directional light isn't perfect. And there's a weird bug in the forest when the sun is around noon and all the shadows "twitch" for a brief moment. Not sure what's up with all that, but it's probably good enough for now.

Ok, I asked this before but got no answer so I'm trying again.
What's the better approach for updating your game on itch.io? Specially for small updates. Editing you already existing page or creating a new one?

thx
Always.
actual thx

>Yet another gay furry platformer

Is there really that much money in it?

I think editing it is better. If you create a new one, you'll lose all your statistics as far as I know.

Is Momodora an /agdg/ game?

Cave Story doesn't do anything new either, it's just really nice and has engaging story/characters

name some gay furry platformers?

>but there's not really any shadows at night so it looks sorta weird.

Add a moon to illumate terrain or human lightsources. On an overcast night there isn't really much of shadows in the real world in a rural area either.

Everything I see your game I think the scale and camera view is fucked up and looks unpleasant and your level layout is a bit claustrophobic (not in a good way)

Your resolution of the main character is too high and the camera should be further away so you can see more level.

Also post a pic of your dragon dildos.

>money

I'm not speaking for the guy but is it that unthinkable that someone who enjoys anthropomorphic characters wants to make a game with anthropomorphic characters?

Really ood point there. I didn't think about that before. I'll go with editing then. Thanks for the answer.

yeah I was thinking of that but the default skybox doesn't have a moon so it would also look weird. Maybe I'll dig a little and find one some day.

The other thing I was thinking is just add a point light to the character to make it seem like they're carrying a torch, which will give some minor shadows and brighten things in the vicinity a bit.

Yes. He was making a furry VN for waifu jam then disappeared halfway through to open a patron for it and get furrybux
He literally said he only makes this shit for money (and because he's a furry himself)

>Is Momodora an /agdg/ game?
No but someone here was making a clone/homage/whatever of it

Ain't no patreon, buddy.

>but the default skybox doesn't have a moon so it would also look weird

Add one as a floating billboard or 3D object.

Anthropomorphic characters are ok, most people here have complained about the childish underwear, because it's the detail that makes the game la furry bait, specally in a setting that doesn't make sense, like in that game.
Also people are kinda upset that the guy is great at art, but he is crippling his talent by doing the same stuff over and over.

He posted here occasionally.

As in had psychotic meltdowns and was raving mad and ranting.

>I'm engine devving for most part. [...]
>Now I've realized I'll never finish anything if I get discouraged by the fact that I'll never have assets for my game, so at the moment I'm mostly digging drawing tutorials
I might be projecting here but perhaps you lack a clear goal/dream? My dream has been the same for years now and it won't change. I have the same problems as you regarding art (well, I'm kind of an artist to begin with but I have terrible motivation), but at least I know where I'm heading, what matters now is continuing on.

>May I ask what are you working on? Are you using RPG Maker? I loved it back then for all the free assets and the fun community.
I thought I would be using RPGMaker but ended up realizing I would be working against the engine as it's not made for what I intend to do so I've been learning GM:S. I'm making an ARPG/Action Adventure game (top/down, pixel art).

when'd that happen? what about?

>what about?

His games being the second coming of christ in general.

Then about Gwyn copying/stealing from his unique and highly novel generic platformer game.

>when
early 2015 or perhaps it was late 2014.

you sure it wasnt just gwyndev or someone else falseflagging? that seems like a thing that would happen.

Damn, the game looked cute and comfy as fuck, is a shame the mind behind it was the total opposite of that.

>As a half decent artist you could earn the same amount for the same time.

True.

But I'm not a half-decent artist.
I'm someone with absolutely no skills whatsoever, no college no nothing, who started making money with just some internet meddling in his free time.

>And you did spend quite a lot of time on getting it set up.

Setting it up in 2 weeks is quite a lot to you? When the alternative you mentioned takes 2-3 years to set up?(becoming a half decent artist) ?

How convenient that you don't take into account how many hours it takes to learn a trade, but you do take into account how many hours it takes to learn how to set up the passive income, and count it as a net loss.

I'm not the guy who recommended the passive income thing though, because the more people do it the less I'll make, I just wanted to show you that it's definitely doable and not always a scam.

I am sorry I asked in the previous thread but what exactly do you do to earn that money? Maybe I just missed it.

Hmm I seem to remember there being some .gif of blog post about that drama. I forget if it was Momodora dev or what.

This is my face when realising you basically have to put some memes and 9gag-esque jokes (which are not regular jokes) into your game these days to get any attention.

No need to apologize bro, I didn't answer in the last thread. Because I'm a jew who won't give out his trade secrets.

If you're interested in making money online there's a subreddit for that, "WorkOnline". Good enough place for beginners, check it out.
Word of warning though, there's generally less work for any non-US country, but you could still make some if your english is good enough.

>you sure it wasnt just gwyndev or someone else falseflagging?

rdein isn't known for being a stable person and he posted game screenshots as evidence. He also had some simultaneous twitter meltdown.

Free released 2D or 3D cute girl yet?

>lack a clear goal/dream
I admit, that's also part of the problem. People tend to think that having an idea is enough in itself, but when you start the implementation, you start to face so many questions that might be overwhelming and makes you retreat. Like: I want to shoot a fireball. Ok, but how will it behave? Will it follow the target or go in a straight line? Will it be fast or slow? How will it effect the overall game play? How should the enemies behave? Can they dodge it if they see it coming? Etc. It just becomes worse of you are a 1MA, since there's no one you can discuss these issues with.

So, yes, I'm learning it the hard way, but I hope after every Nth unfinished project there will be at least one finished. Especially if I can encourage myself with some interesting story or character at the end, and not only circles and boxes.

Have you posted about your game by any chance, yet?

Sent ;)

WHERE IS IT???????????

You need to hit refresh, you left your tab open since last year.

Momodora main appeal was mainly the girl with the lewd legs.

I'm always up for metroidvania games but I got bored of momodora after the first encounter with the giant titties witch.
I don't know why but somehow the cute graphics were just not enough to keep me interested, nor the story. Kind of glad I didn't buy it.

is he wearing diapers? the furry diaper fetish community is pretty small you should focus on solely the furry part

October 2013 was 3 years ago.

Hmm they are lewd.

It reminds me of something a literal furry said in another AGDG thread... Something like "It's better if you hint at being lewd rather than actually being full lewd. Leaves it open for fans to do." or some shit

Wonder how much merit there is to that.

In fact it was re this game:

They move like robots or undead.

Maybe that's why so many games use them as enemies.

>well, I'm kind of an artist to begin with
No offense but if you're an artist then you can't understand.

Momodora has cute graphic, a cute game name, and good music.

Gameplay matters sure but some people here are deluding themselves if they think that's what matters most. What matters most is art and the atmosphere of your game, because that's what people will see first.

Google.com

N-no

Time to go have a mental breakdown.

There are few people who matter, and they care about things that matter. There are a lot of people who don't matter, and who care about things that don't matter.

Who you dev for is up to you.

It has good music... but boy the sound effects are really grating. But yeah, the shit you mentioned is pretty important.

Isn't that normal? Happy people enjoy sad, grim and dramatic stuff while depressed people want uplifting and joyful things.

Good luck in your journey then, user.

>Have you posted about your game by any chance, yet?
Nothing but random pixel art / studies. I'd like to do things right so I plan on showing my game to everyone only when things are more or less ready, i.e. when I have something worthwhile to show and once I'm ready to handle the shill aspect. I get easily anxious and I do not want this to affect me negatively at a bad time.

Don't worry I'm not taking any offense here; could you expand please? I'd like to understand better.

It's not really about the amount of lewdness but the amount of 'everything'.
In the example of momodora, the game have some potential but it's just not fully exploited well, sadly. I feel like the issue is just >cute everything
Yeah, everything is cute as fuck, but not really interesting. Kind of hard to explain.

Things don't have to be as extreme as you're making them out to be.

Art itself isn't strictly necessary.

What matters is consistency and atmosphere, the overall feel how well it meshes together. It's why games like Thomas was alone or whatever the memegame was called can exist and thrive.

As soon as it's good enough and playable then the main point is conveying the feeling of great gameplay.

At this point it's also guaranteed to have good gameplay if the reviews are good. If there's anime titties everywhere I'm not sure if it's a boner doing the review or if there's actual gameplay to be found.

If it's Primtivies: The Game, then obviously there's something else than just shallow art that made it good.

>Happy people enjoy sad, grim and dramatic stuff while depressed people want uplifting and joyful things.
uhm, no? I know plenty of "normalfags" who can't stand sad stories at all, and sad people who love to write tragic stories because happy stories seem too shallow to them.

I mean, it really depends.

I would say like attracts likes.

If you're happy and in love a romantic comedy is going to much easier to associate with and enjoy than if you've been alone for 5 years and suicidal.

And a depressive drama about nuclear war and people dying left and right would fit much better to the suicidal people because it agrees with his bleak visions and feelings he's used to.

It's still a very restricting way to see things, kind of a non-discussion here. I still see what you mean though.

>I know plenty of "normalfags" who can't stand sad stories at all

Because inside they're feeling miserable and their social persona is just used to cover that.

If you laugh really hard you can't hear yourself crying.

>Happy people enjoy sad, grim and dramatic stuff while depressed people want uplifting and joyful things.

Don't quit your day job, Freud.

Not sure, I have been pretty depressed lately due to some shit that has happened and while I like cute and joyful things, I usually like sad, grim and dramatic stuff a little bit more too.
I know there is a stereotype about creative people being dicks as well.

>could you expand please?
As an artist you get to have the possibility. Let me explain :

As a coder I have a good set of game I want to code, and games I can code. Even if I'm not making them right now I know that I can make them later, no big deal. That's the key thing here, I'm not limited by anything and I know I have the tools and competence for it.

Now, for assets that's another story. When you start organizing your project around, you already know that whatever you do you will not be able to make the assets. It's the one thing that you know you can't do, and you also know that the game will just not exist without it.
Who in his right mind will start working on something that he knows he won't be able to finish? This is why you see most coders of agdg being stuck with their custom engine, or eventually go down the meme game way since it doesn't require consistent art.

Of course, there's some meme-poster who will probably start posting his usual "1MA" but we all know the truth. Even limited with agdg, I can't find of a single game that was completed by a single guy, unless it's an unfinished platformer by an artist. In fact, I truly believe that the artists of agdg go with platformers not because they "lack creativity" like the usual meme-poster will say, but mainly because that's the only thing within their "possibilities" if you follow what I've been saying at the start.

I didn't mention the "hire an artist" because I'm pretty sure that as an artist you wouldn't like me telling you to "hire a coder" for your amateur game.

>creative people being dicks as well
Because they think they have talent, something which they've born with, which make them stand above the rest. You need to learn that skill comes from hard work and nothing else, thus can be achieved by mostly anyone who's willing to acquire that skill.

>Now, for assets that's another story. When you start organizing your project around, you already know that whatever you do you will not be able to make the assets.

Why not? Are you seriously so massively incompetent that you cannot make anything asset-like on your own? Or make sure you design a project where they'll be for sale or availible from open sources?

Are you the same guy that said you would refer to the audio guy whenever you needed 2 seconds cropped from an audio clip?

It really isn't that hard to aquire some basic competence in other fields, along with taking design decisions that ensure you're not needing an open world skyrim clone level of asset that you cannot make.

Thanks for your insight.

>I didn't mention the "hire an artist" because I'm pretty sure that as an artist you wouldn't like me telling you to "hire a coder" for your amateur game.
You're right, that's why I've been learning. My best friend of 10 years whom I respect and had been looking up to even proposed to help me for my game, and even him I refused. I just want to do everything by myself, otherwise there's no point to it, it'd be tainted.

I'd love to see /agdg/ grow as a community with more tutorials, resources and help available to everyone. Especially regarding art, but not limited to. The website would be a good place to start I think. We have a lot of potential I think.

Reminder that Demo Day 9 will have the most games featured out of ALL Demo Days in /agdg/ history!

Why aren't YOU participating in this historic event?

But I am, user.

i don't get it, why are there so many people now? i haven't noticed some great resurgence in posting

did this guy really intimidate all the nodevs into participating?

>It really isn't that hard to acquire some basic competence in other fields
Sure, everyone can do kenney level assets here, but that's past the point

Might be because of summer (not in a "newfag summer" way, simply summer = more free-time).

Perhaps because gamemaking as a whole has been promoted on social medias too? I don't know. These things can have a lot of influence. This anime season there's an anime about gamemaking, and next season I believe there's also another one airing. I can bet you anything it'll have some impact.

I'm not him, but yes, for some people it is that hard.

Now that I started to learn drawing, I still suck at it, but now at least I get it. Let me explain: art is a language. With a single line you tell the viewer if the shape which is formed by said line is a 3 dimensional ball, or a rectangle etc. You tell the viewer which entity is near to the viewing plane and which is far away, and so on. It is a language, which you can understand but can not express yourself with right away. When you are hungry, you know which words to use to ask for food, it was naturally learned. However it is not the same with drawing. You may draw a stick figure, but to know how to draw a figure from a given angle and make it look right is a different story.

Honestly, if it would be that easy, there wouldn't be people on this board who ask if the artist is autistic or not because the poor choice he made in color selection. It is fucking hard for those who know nothing about this. Just look at the feedback people get. Most feedback is about the art. The nose is too big, why did you use that color, hair does not behave like that in the wind etc. These all come from the simple fact that doing art is not a natural thing, you either learn it or not.

>We have a lot of potential I think.

Too much memes and people full of themself. You ask how to peel a potato and a handless person replies that you need to buy a $120 potato peeler or get a formal education as a chef. Then an autistic person that eat unpeeled potatoes raw as his staple diet says that the industry standard of peeling potatoes is to first learn how potato peelers are made, followed by potato biochemistry and modern agricultural practices, and gives you a 14000 hour tutorial that teaches you the fundamentals of industrial mass production and factory economics.

At the end of the century, after following all of AGDGs advice you'll know enough to work as Potato acuisition and peeling manager for the global food trade, but still not know the actual practice of how to manually peel a potato that you asked for initially.

Post reference - receive 3d model.

Anyone tried Stingray yet? Being a Mayafaggot I'm naturally inclined to suck Autodesk's dick, especially if it means a much smooth asset flow

Do it.

lol
sounds accurate

PS: No organic characters, pls.

k

I might give it a shot, but do you actually need it?

I don't know when was the last time I laughed this good, thank you, user!

Other than that, /agdg/ is the usual cynical Veeky Forums community. Maybe we're laughing more on our own misery than the others, maybe we pretend we are more than we are, but at least we are creating content and having honest fun. At least I know I am.

Your entire post is essentially a complaint that your initial design choice was to make a game that you couldn't make the art for.

Basic competence is not to be able to animate a sprakly pretty pixel platformer. Or rig and animate realistic human characters. Or write an orchestral soundtrack. Or draw AAA level box/concept art.

Basic competence means you know how the software works at a rudimentary level, you've played around with it and done something. You have an idea of what you're capable of. That's what basic competence is.

You then take design choices that incoporates this basic competence of yours in your game idea. That means to NOT use photorealistic humans if you cannot make them. For the same reason I don't plan a 2-year long luxury yacht vacation I wouldn't design a game that overrides my competence budget.

To take the elephant in the room of shitty art: Minecraft. How much of it do you think was initially meant to end up looking like it did? Do you think the spastic and rigid cube doll the characters are was an intentional aesthethic choice, or a compromise between the vision of the game and the artistic and 3D modelling capability(or absence of) of notch? Sure it might fit the rest of the looks but that's because everything else in the game was subject to the same compromise and constraints. It was also well within the competence bounds of art and therefor easy to make, unlike someone who overextends their vision and ends up having to ask this place for shitty feedback on shitty art that looks like shit all over in addition to being inconsistent.

Better idea, find a dev so that you wouldn't be making useless trash and some assets instead

I'm sorry chen I'm working on it but I don't know if I'll have something playable by demoday

Unity girl

>suck dick
>asset flow

that's what you call it now?

Who /gay/ here?

if you don't try something you're not good at you'll never get better

pros/cons of ren'py for VN/IF/MUD?

I have never even attempted to make humans in my life.

then make a bunny, or copy mya from :3, that's a super simple art style

It's not very good at HP/DMT/GBBT, but you surely can do HTW with GABBO

Just use unity and multiplatform it.

Just put your dick in someone.

>Just put your dick in someone.
Creating them is not the difficult part, raising them is.

The joke with Unity-chan is that she can't be used at all.

Went to bed and didn't check if any replies last night
Anybody have feedback on this for the survival horror part of my RPG?
instaud.io/slO

You're shitfting the post. But remember that basic competence is why we have games like RoR, Undertale or Goat Simulator.

And no, before you try your usual popular talk I've asked numerous people outside of the internet what they thought about the game. It made me realize that the internet really is another community by itself.

No progress today, besides adding another cute screen that probably nobody will ever see.
Just catching and fixing bugs right now
Pic related is yesterday's progress I couldn't post. You can see the new AI and part of the new level layout in action. Hunter walks slows, after he notices you he starts moving faster, and there are more obstacles here and there.