Any old unconquered city?

What is the oldest city that was never conquered/annexed (changed owners basically)?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iceland
youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ankara
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably something in bumfuck nowhere nobody cares about like Iceland.

Constantinople

Ottomans?

*muslim romans

City of London.

Conquered 1326

Not necessarily. They maintained (And still have) their own mayor, customs, and representative in parliament.

San Marino desu

Look in Japan. Even the post-WW2 occupation didn't really shake things up, and control was still left mostly to the Japs.

If you count different dynasties within Japan as changing owners, I guess that won't count...

>Probably something in bumfuck nowhere nobody cares about like Iceland.

Well technically...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iceland

Japan was (and still is) a de facto US colony. There were literally US military leaders with absolute control of it for 7 fucking years. Don't even try to count it as never conquered, weebshit.

This. Not sure it really counts as a city, mind you.

Not every conqueror puts his administration where not required. That's how the Brits themselves colonized, isn't it?

Pretty sure ol' King Billy and his Dutch soldiers occupied the city for a few weeks.

Every Englishman got the full shaft of the Roman bell end, and loved it.

wat tyler's rebellion and jack cade's rebellion

you mean in the present day? cause if not then constantinople is probably up there along with Venice. Maybe Stockholm or some Swiss city have been sovereign (napoleon though occupied the latter)? Then there's some American cities that were never conquered even during the revolutionary war...

Possibly some city that sunk into the ocean.

My hometown, Gothenburg, Sweden.

No matter how many wars that were between the danes and the norwegians, Gothenburg has always been swedish, even to the extent if being the only swedish city on the west coast.

Pic related is Gothenburg as the only swedish city on the west coast during the 16th and 17th century.

>Grundad 1621

>My hometown, Gothenburg, Sweden
>Sweden
its götar

Paris

>During the Franco-Prussian War (1870–1871), Paris was besieged by the Prussian army. After months of blockade, hunger, and then bombardment by the Prussians, the city was forced to surrender on 28 January 1871. On 28 March, a revolutionary government called the Paris Commune seized power in Paris. The Commune held power for two months, until it was harshly suppressed by the French army during the "Bloody Week" at the end of May 1871.

nazi germany, no?

By those standards, Paris.

That's actually wrong, Paris never surrendered. It was the (new) French government in Versailles that signed an armistice. Paris held the siege, that's one of the reasons the Parisians were so pissed off.

Moscow has to be up there.

Mongolians?

Wasn't it kinda conquered by Nazis?

it was just occupied

Dubrovnik (Ragusa)?

Moscow paid tribute to the tatars but it was never invaded by them

Kill yourself.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iceland
>Casualties
>British 1 killed (suicide en route)

What the fuck?

>In May 1940 we transported Royal Marines to Iceland and the island was occupied on the 10th May to prevent the occupation by a German force. A number of German civilians and technicians were made prisoners and transported back to the United Kingdom. Very rough seas were encountered on passage to Iceland and the majority of the marines cluttered gangways and mess-decks throughout the ship, prostrate-massaged to help with seasickness. One unfortunate marine committed suicide.

Conquered by the Romans, Franks, Republicans, Prussians, Communards, Nazis and Syrians.

>Russians
>Germans
>Germans again

and that's just the last 200 years

The Polish

France conquered Moscow but had to give it up

Don't be ridiculous, I'm Parisian myself but we were conquered, by the Germans in 1940, the Prussians in 1870, the Allies in 1816 and the English in 1400-ish. But (BUT) we conquered every single one of our invaders before they invaded us, and usually our invasion got them butthurt so hard they had to start another war (true for Rome too btw).

We are actually not sure if the Romans conquered Paris. Well they most certainly did, but the big city they had, Lutece, some argue it's not Paris, against the common belief. Okay this comment could be deleted since its written and shit but I don't feel like deleting 30 secs of my life so I'll let it here, just to spread a little bit of my ""culture"". Other than that, don't be ridiculous either, putting Franks, Republican, Communards, is just /pol/-retard tier. Good luck with life, idiot.

Still lasted more than a millennium without being successfully sieged by an opposing power.

Not Moscow, see 1612 and 1812.
At the same time Saint Petersburg was never conquered/occupied by foreign forces, granted it was built quite recently, in 1700s.

Jerusalem.

crusades? I know it was unsuccessful but it was captured.

Not to mention the Sassanian empire, which took it before them.

also conquered by the Seleucids

and the Babylonians
and the Romans
and the Assyrians
and the Egyptians

youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY

Jerusalem has been conquered by literally everyone in the old world

triggered: the post

>prostrate-massaged to help with seasickness

Boudica Bismarck

Nappy took it.

What about some old cities in China beyond Jap occupation?

Or maybe Ankara?

Bangkok maybe? I know Thailand was never subjugated

vatican? not conquered by kingdom of italy, not independent city state for about 1000 years after HRE

what everyone else said plus, you know, the NORMANS

Ankara is far too young a city to be included in this.

>Ankara
>has been identified with the Hittite cult center Ankuwaš
>too young

San Marino has been independent since it's foundation 1,600 years ago. Probably the best you'll find.

Yeah and then fell into obscurity for a bazillion years until Attaturk made it the capital of Turkey.

I knew someone was going to post this. I love this video and the song. Always makes me want to play Civilization.
>inb4 paradox fanboys call civ casual trash
I play games to have fun, not autism simulators to look at spreadsheets and maps all day

So?

>call civ casual trash

Civ 4 is the finest game of it's type ever made. Here's hoping civ 6 takes it's cues from it, and not from the epic aids-ridden fail of civ 5.

So nobody cared about conquering it..duh. If we're gonna name every shithole backwater town that's never been conquered we'll be here all night.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ankara

It doesn't count for OP because it has been conquered dozens of times, but it's clearly one of the most ancient continuously occupied cities in the region.

Sorry, that's the reaction I've come to expect when I bring up Civ on here.

>epic aids-ridden fail of civ 5
Civ 5 is actually okay with all the expansions, not fantastic but still okay in my book. But yeah I prefer IV for many reasons; namely Leonard Nimoy, the menu music (although I love 5's OST in general). unit stacking and mods (but again 5 has good mods too).

Civ 6 is actually looking really good to me so far, it looks like Firaxis really have taken a lot of cues from the fanbase in terms of what went wrong in 5 and what people liked about IV.

Small thing, unrelated to gameplay really, but when I said about Leonard Nimoy it reminded me: They've got Seán Bean to do the voiceover for 6. which is awesome.

Someone posted a leaked leader list here a couple weeks ago which was total horseshit (but nobody questioned it for some reason). Pic related are the only ones confirmed so far.

Some people have been criticising the "cartoonish" art style but I personally don't care as long as the gameplay is good (which it seems like it will be IMO).

>left to right: Montezuma I, Victoria (young and skinny lmfao), Qin Shi Huang, Teddy Roosevelt, Cleopatra, Hojo Tokimune, Catherine de Medici

>prostrate-massaged to help with seasickness
what

It actually says they were "prostrate with seasickness"

Ethiopia and Mongolia in second place.

Ankara was literally the capital of one of the Galatian tribes that invaded Asia Minor (Tectosagii?) and later become an important regional centre under Rome and features in the New Testament. Ancyra existed under the Byzantines too i'm sure.

The Romans built london

Ottawa

Taken by the fucking barbarians that live there now

Also there past had a shit ton of turmoil there where different factions on the island

T his must be bait

The Romans also built paris

True

1. No
2. It would possibly be Pontoise rather than Paris

Not a weeb in the slightest. If you know anything about the occupation, then like I said, you'll know they didn't change too much. Sure they had 'absolute control', but they pretty much left power structures in place.

>In September 1944, it was briefly occupied by German forces, who were defeated by Allied forces in the Battle of San Marino.

I'm afraid the Romans DID build Paris m8. Stay le mad. Paris also got BTFO by the Merovingians.

Gonder, Ethiopia

Paris was the tribal capital of a Gallic tribe before Romans arrived.

Yeah you're right, Paris is the only unhabited area until the Romans came and started building it from scratch. There was nothing, regardless of historians not being sure of the localisation of Lutece, and the Romans built it 123.42%. Stay in utter disbelief.

Washington DC.

The fortress city on Malta

Most American cities I guess, but they don't really count due to how young they are.
Otherwise I guess places like Beijing, if you don't count successful rebellions as invasions. If you do then I think you'll be hard-pressed to find any such cities.

Beijing was not only conquered by the West multiple times, the Summer Palace was burned the fuck down.

Lisboa, Portugal. Unconquered since 1147.

Even accounting for that there are several oldass inland chinese cities not sitting on trade routes which the west would have no interest in.

Conquered by Manchus, Mongols, Cantonese or Mandarins. Pick one. There's not a scrap of land in China that hasn't been conquered by someone.

Napoleon m8

If only they weren't pushing shit leaders just because they are women.

>De Medici for France, who was not even a ruler but a regency
>Fucking Cleopatra for Egypt, a Greek invader and did nothing of note

At least put fucking female leaders that were actually leaders not regencies or people that did nothing. Trying to get 50% female cast is so stupid.

Nope

Are you retarded. He took the city twice actually (well his generals)

Portuguese are obsessed about never conquered mentality don't bother. Despite literally all of Portugal being under Al-Andalus they also say never conquered to them as well because of existence of Kingdom of Asturias.

Not a city but there's got to be one reservation that was owned by the same Native American tribe throughout time

The real question is which city has been captured the most, I wanna say Malta or Jerusalem