What's best museum you've ever been to?

What's best museum you've ever been to?
Worst?
Coolest exhibit?
Ever worked in one?

Went to the museum of tolerance with a holocaust denier friend once.

Guy almost went on a tangent to the rest of the group as we were talking with the lady that had a prisoner tattoo

>a holocaust denier
Do those people exist outside of the US?

I live a very sheltered life, so the best one I've been to was the Science Museum in Boston
Coolest exhibit was a living butterfly ecosystem with 100s of rare tropical species

Two landed on my foot and started mating during the visit, a while later the staff called and told me they named the spawn in my honor

No, because they'd get arrested :^)

The museum of science in Boston is pretty great. As kid I thought their electricity show was amazing.
The La Brea tar pits in LA is awesome too.

>worst
Can't really say I've been to a "bad" museum. I went to a small nautical museum one time. I suppose most people would have found it very dull but I thought it was neat.

fuck off science museum shills

We do, but we can't show our power level otherwise we'd get imprisoned.

C'mon go-- I mean...friend. Come to the museum of science and take a look at the replica DaVinci flying machine. You can watch an IMAX show while you're here.

Well obviously Louvre takes the cake. I remember this little neat communism museum from Czech republic though. Some really cool stuff there

>museum of tolerance
That place is real? I thought South Park made it up as a piss take

OP here. Louvre is on my bucket list desu.
Also if any of you fags ever need to go to Kansas City for whatever reason, the art museum and the WWI museum are top tier, and I've been to 12 countries and all 50 states.

The wright patterson air force museum in Dayton Ohio is amazing.

Louvre here too. But now that you say it I'm reminded of the GDR museum in Berlin. It does quite well in remaking normal life in commie Germany and is very interactive. What's more, they have an adjecent restaurant where they serve GDR food (even stuff you can barely remake now for lack of ingredients). They also detail on the menu stuff like Honecker, Ulbrechts etc. favourite meals.

The Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh is fantastic, especially the anthropology part.

Can confirm.

>Ever worked in one?
Last summer

That museum is really cool, the Stasi museum is also quite interesting to see

>Best
Either the Beijing Military Museum or the Tokyo Bunko.
>Worst
I like museums in general really.

>best museum
The Cluny or the Louvre.
>worst
The Museum of American History, Smithsonian. It's full of meme history and propaganda.
>coolest exhibit
Probably the USS Constellation in Baltimore, or the huge exhibit in La Musée de la Mer in Paris showing the development of miniature, handmade ships from sail and wood to steam and steel, including a cute little Novgorod miniature.
>ever worked in one?
I work security at an art museum in Baltimore. It's pretty easy work, I usually either read at a desk or listen to audiobooks on the gallery floor.

I believe a Saudi prince or something has gone on record saying he doesn't believe it.

And Indians have an odd obsession with Hitler, I've heard.

The aerospace portion of the Smithsonian is GOAT. Hope you at least went to that

Louvre is overated af. MET at ny is better.

Best museum would probably be the louvre because fuck it's so big. Pretty fun seeing the crowd assembled around the Mona Lisa.

I went to the titanic museum roadshow over on one of its California stops a few years back. Pretty neat, but it holds a place in my heart because my dad and I reached past the guard rail to touch the huge piece of the hull they had brought up from the bottom of the ocean. I feel like I can say my dad and I touched the Titanic.

I actually was there last week or so, they had a one time showing of Space Odyssey in their Imax theater.
I like to stand in front of the giant rocket booster and marvel at its size, and then consider how quickly I'd be vaporized if it blasted full force right then.

Still have yet to go to the Met, or NY at all.

The "main attractions" of the Louvre are definitely overrated, the best parts for me were the Egyptian and Persian sections. The forty foot Darius-era pillar capitals--capitals, mind you, not even the whole pillar--blew me away, and I got legitimate chills looking at the dice and random daily life bullshit of the Egyptian citizenry. There was something insanely humanizing about looking at some guy's three thousand year old flute and spoon that had more of an impact on me than the entire rest of my trip to Paris.

>I like to stand in front of the giant rocket booster and marvel at its size, and then consider how quickly I'd be vaporized if it blasted full force right then.

I did this too

It really is like staring down the barrel of a gun.

>Best
I went to the naval air museum in Mobile Alabama, while visiting the USS Alabama battleship museum. It was kinda tacky, but i went pretty early in the morning so noone else was around, and met the museum's curator, who was a total broski and let me touch and in some cases get in the aircraft along with telling me all about the aircraft, and the job/process of procurring planes for a museum. Good guy, cool planes.

>Worst while in alabama, travelled further north and visited their "space and rocket" museum. Was shit. No upkeep budget, and nearly empty. Only like 2 exhibits, but the indoor saturn5 was cool. Very science museum feel, and defintley for little kids. Not the best.

The thing about the Louvre and Vatican Museums is that you'll remember more how fucking comedically long was the queue, and what you didn't manage to see, than what you did actually see

Ever worked in one?
Yes, for over 15 years now.

It's the norm in Muslim countries.

Otherwise not really.

Is it even possible to be friends with people like that? I met one once and i've seen some on the internet and they're really creepy, autistic, asperges and just hard to talk to.

The guy I met was extremely obsessive and could not relate to anybody and I would guess it's the same with the rest of them.

Definitely go the Louvre, the Mesopotamian stuff is absolutely beautiful; the even had some Afghan stuff and I had no idea about their culture before or after Islam took over there.

It was seriously interesting.

I doubt I'll ever go to Kansas though, or for that matter any middle american states.

I hsve a friend who's like a weird bizarro /pol/ack. He's a right wing zealous Trump supporter, idolizes Putin and has like one Jewish grandparent so he's hardcore pro-Israel and blames literally all the world's problems on Saudi Arabia. He's also really into Scots and Vikings on the same basis, and will rant about haplogroups forever if you let him.

He's also an /x/-tier tinfoil hatter, but he has a sense of humor and otherwise is a decent guy, and we're good enough friends that I can tell him to shut the fuck up and he'll laugh it off. Which is good, because I have to a lot.

>mfw I have a friend who's Jewish and lurks /pol/ because their fantasies make him feel powerful and important

That's actually hilarious. Does he make gloating threads where he calls everyone goys?

I think he just lurks.

He says that it makes him feel really important, because they assume he has the power to change literally everything.

It's funny how both sides of the radical internet coin perceive the other as the monolithic evil that needs fighting.

Come to Oxford. We've got a shit ton of them. I went to the green-jacket museum in Winchester recently and it was wonderful. The Ashmolean is great too.

How do you attain views like that? I have an American Friend who's really pro-Trump because his dad is a Texan businessman who made up all his money in Oil, and so loves Trump. His mum is basically his dad's dumb fuck doll who has no opinion on anything, so he only has conversations with his dad.

You're friend is the man. I wish one day an ethiopian Jew would do an AMA on /pol/. Imagine the EPE that would be generated with all their arseholes clenching.

>best
Tennessee State Museum. It might sound insignificant, but there is so much interesting shit in there and it all ties deeply into US history. There was so much stuff I wasn't even able to finish it all. 10/10 would recommend.

>Worst
Can't say.

>Coolest exhibit
The Kimball Art Museum itself is an exhibit.

Nice, I've heard about that. Did you learn anything there about the original trickshotter?

I think both are on the Missouri side of Kansas City but I honestly forget.

I dunno, he's an alcoholic who was a punk in Baltimore in the 80's, I think that does something to you.

Prolly the Metropolitan in NYC. It has an Egyptian temple they took apart and transported there. You can see graffiti from Napoleon's troops on it.

I made friends with one. After getting to know him a bit he was mostly fine.

I was mostly desperate to talk about politics with someone who followed it closely at all instead of the idiots with a meme-tier understanding of politics who couldn't do anything beyond spouting memes they heard on comedy shows.

I'm pretty sure Ahmadinejad was a holocaust denier

>Kansas
There's a Kansas City, Missouri and a Kansas City, Kansas. the art museum at least is in Missouri
t. Missourian

Louisiana's got some pretty cool museums. My favorite is probably the World War II museum in New Orleans, it has a lot of stuff and is really neat. Also, that LIGO facility where they detected the gravity waves earlier this year has some interesting displays, but they are mostly for people in high school and below.

Went to checkpoint Charlie in Berlin and thought it was pretty gud. It was tucked away in a random building in Berlin and was pretty cozy.

Some of my favs.
>Louvre
>Australian National War Museum
>London Museum of Natural History
>Athens Museum
>Icelandic Penis Museum

>didnt know whether to be horrified or disappointed with the game creators

says the one playing pokemon go in a goddamn holocaust museum

>best
either the military Museum in Ottawa or the Museum of Natural History.
>worst
Museum of Human Rights
all these bullshit political propaganda centers suck in general
>worked
worked at a small local museum, it s a nice place though focus on fossils in the area as well as local tribes/colonial settlement.

>Louvre
Just don't go during main season

Went in the Louvre in the beginning of July at like 11, had less than 5min queue.
You just got to know that there are more than one entrance really.

don't forget not being actually able to move because everywhere is filled with chinks

I don't go to museums that aren't in my home country often, so:

>best
Overloon or Delft military museums, the stuff they have and had there is insane
>worst
Don't know, probably some art museum
>Coolest exhibit
The market garden bit in Overloon
>Ever worked in one
Sadly, no

>No idea who this is because uncultured on this particular war
>Look him up
Faze before Faze was a thing

I can't believe how little worldwide relevance has the Musée d'Orsay. They have literally EVERYTHING that matters between the 16th and the 19th century

>What's best museum you've ever been to?

Tough call. My top 5 (so far): Flanders Fields WWI museum in Ieper (Ypres), Belgium; Vindolanda (Roman fort on Hadrian's Wall with tons of amazing finds); Canadian War Museum, Ottawa; Museum of the Pacific War, Fredricksburg, TX; Imperial War Museum, London.

>Worst?

National Museum of Funeral History, Houston, TX. But it was so bad, it actually circled around to being good in a kitch way. Weird that they have a fullsize replica of the tomb of Pope John Paul II.

>Coolest exhibit?

I love interactive shit (although these are often down through hardware or software problems). There was a fullsize naval cannon in fibreglass that you could aim and fire at French warships in the Greenwich museum in London. And the German tanks (including a King Tiger) at the Bovington Tank Museum were awe-inspiring, even though they were just static displays.

>Ever worked in one?

For many years.

Pic related, it's Roman shoes found at Vindolanda. Stratigraphy of soil with layers of heavy clay meant big pockets of anaerobic material that allowed fabric, leather, etc. to be remarkably preserved.

Orsay is for the XIXth and XXth centuries, I doubt you'll find anything older here.

The Musée Condé at Chantilly is one of the most underrated museums though, it has the second biggest collection of French and Italian ancient paintings in France after the Louvre.
It really worth it because the collection can't leave the museum, you can't see it elsewhere.

No decent history museums around me but there was a small, local volunteer place that I wanted to be a part of when I was about 17. Went in, asked about it, even told them what a gun that they had on display was. Got a call and was told to reapply when I was older because I'd be handling different things and wasn't old enough to do so but when I was 18 I magically would be.

They folded before I was even able to. It was bullshit.

The Louvre of course, holy fuck I could have spent a month there.

Orsay basically houses 19th century stuff that there wasn't enough room for in the Louvre.