/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Toady is a autist edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2E6d5j3qrss
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Scheduling
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why the fuck are my scribes and archers just socializing in the tavern when they should be contemplating math n shit and shooting their targets?

Half of my crossbowdwarves are socializing and the other half have the (no orders) status.

If I've build a floor, I have to deconstruct it to build a wall over that tile right? That's a stupid idea if I ever want to come back and split up a larger room.

Socializing is a "needs" thing, just think of it like parties. No Orders is a military problem? Is the squad designated active in the military screen? Do they have a barracks/archery range assigned to their squad?

wait, can kobolds actually join your fort or is this just a meme?

They can't talk so they go auto-hostile and vice versa.

Did toady add schizophrenia?

kek
youtube.com/watch?v=2E6d5j3qrss

innuendo's are still a thing in 64-bit?

Do animals have any use other than food and war/hunting training?

Killing your FPS slowly if you forget to butcher them in time

I've got over 100 animals now. Should I just slaughter every animal that isn't a pet.

Cheese, milk, wool, eggs

At my last fort, I had ~200 animals at one point while only ~60 dwarves. My FPS dropped to ~20 before I realized that it was the animals that caused it.

Got a butcher to work on the problem and slaughtered every animal that wasn't a pet and only leaving some cats, dogs and hens/roosters. It took forever to butcher them all (mostly because I didn't have a dwarf with butchery skill), but my FPS went up to 50. And I got quite a bit of leather outof it. And pretty good butcher.

I've had them show up as a member of the monarch's entourage.

Not sure what happened to them after that. Would be cool for them to be accepted regardless of speech.

Since when are dwarves so sadistic?

>Toady is a autist edition
Today is a goddamn hero and a true artist.

They're not, they're trying to kill the goblin.

>dwarven monarch with kobold jester/trusty companion
neat

But breaking legs wasn't necessary since he can just smash his head in 1 hit.

Judging from the combat log it was necessary.

The AI, I assume, attacks whichever's easier. Not sure if you play adventure mode, but the characters have various different targets on the enemy that is harder or easier to hit on a round by round basis.

Its like arguing in a RL duel "why didn't you stab him in the eye in the first hit lol"

So humans came to me just to give offerings?

Are you the same user who posted the other fucked up tileset screenshots? Are you sure that your tileset doesn't require certain raws or editing init_d?

>Are you the same user who posted the other fucked up tileset screenshots
Yes i am.
>Are you sure that your tileset doesn't require certain raws or editing init_d
No, it doesn't. Here it is. It's just rescaled default tileset + shadows.
And as i said before i had same problem even after installed clear 43.05.

Pretty sure that was it. They were friends, kobold was in the citizen list but couldn't be given labours. This was before the tavern update I think.

Tilesetanon™, I know you messed with kobold entries before, right? What are the ramifications of allowing them to speak? I basically want them to be identical to how they are now except able to join my civ/do labours.

Does ever dwarf need his/her own mug or are they shared?

Okay, how do I get a volcano that ISN'T surrounded by sheer fucking cliffs?

Build your own?

Far too much work.

So I want to bring magma from z = -130 something up to the surface for a magma moat.

Using pump stacks, would it require 130 dwarves (assuming the surface is at z = 0) to work the pumps continuously?

What is happening here?
Island fortress or is that sand?

Noob question:
How much room do pigs need? Is a 5x5 room big enough to keep 2 pigs happy?

It's naseating muck covering whole map.

Yes

...pigs? NON GRAZER Animals should be A-OK so long as they aren't forced into the same square.

I really really really wish that the pillars in the trade depots changed tiles when you changed pillar tiles in init_d.

Thanks

They work fine but they still have the thief entity and react accordingly: terror or fighting.

Your data/init/d_init.txt has changes from the vanilla one in the tree and column tile sections.

When building your army what do you go for?
Strong/good stat dwarves for military and make bad stat migrants civilians.

Or

Weak / Crap stat dwarves for military
and give all the good stat dwarves all the civilian jobs

>Your data/init/d_init.txt has changes from the vanilla one in the tree and column tile sections.
Ok thanks, trees are back to normal. But ore tiles steel fucked up.

Largely it does not matter. INstead I just make sure no women and no small dwarves in the military.

Definitely a raw issue.

When you said
>i had same problem even after installed clear 43.05.

You didn't move over your save from an old version (where phoebus or something was installed) or anything, did you?

A few decent dorfs to lead units, fill the rank and file positions with all those useless migrant fisherman.

Why no women?

>no women in the military.

Because they seriously fucking bring their babies into battle, give birth where the fuck ever, etc.

I copied raws to save and everything is fine now.

How to make dwarves DUMP corpses from outside? I want to smash them with DAS but they don't want to me corpses. I made garbage zone and marked corpses with D.

>to move

A true dwarf is born on the battlefield.

When I had a type of rough gem laying by itself in a stockpile I had the option to cut it, now that I've put all the rough gems in bins I lost the option to cut it. What gives?

And now I can cut them again, and I've nothing.

Can you port 32bit save files into 64bit df?

Yes.

Looking for alternate control methods as I can't easily use a keyboard
Help an user out?

Disability? Tell us details. How do you normally deal with writing text? Your best bet is DFhack, but I don't know of any plugin that moves the controls entirely to the mouse.
Another option would be a onscreen keyboard or a speech-to-text program. So you'd either use the mouse one keypress at a time, or you will sit in front of your PC, saying "vee pee el, down, down down down down down enter", "kay, left left left left left, escape, up up up, bee, doubleyou pee, left left, enter enter enter"

I lied I just want to be a casual dwarf fortress player

Pic Unrelated

What sort of grotesque deformity has so badly crippled your body that you can't use a keyboard, user? Are you capable of appearing human at least in outline? If not, can your shadow be mistaken for that of a human being?

Why the fuck are dwarves so mad? All the time they killing each other. Now this shit killed 6(!!!) soldiers for no reason during training. I lost almost all my macedwarves squad.

If a single dwarf could kill them, they couldn't have been all that valuable anyway, right?

Okay user.

You did a loyalty cascade.

Your fort is now useless and irrevocably contaminated.

You probably did something like use military to take down a werebeast.

You will have to euthanize or isolate literally every dwarf that has ever fought another dwarf, give up on that fort, or just plain accept that your dwarfs will constantly be killing each other.

Forgot pic.
>You did a loyalty cascade.
No. Everyone is calm now. Like nothing happened.

Is this Masterwork? They have savage terrain effects.

Overall I don't know.

>Is this Masterwork
No. But i am in sinister region.

Here is she. I still have no idea what caused this.
user who dosn't allow women to be in military, you are making a mistake

>learned about shield
>teaching shield
Are cute accents a thing in Dwarf Fortress? Or is this a mistake that resulted from modding?

I haven't modded anything.

>user who dosn't allow women to be in military, you are making a mistake

You're going to need a substantial portion of the populace to work however you slice it, you may as well use the half that isn't criminally irresponsible with their offspring.

The bin is probably marked as being "used" by some dwarf that's bringing another gem or something to it. At least that's what I think, after having the same issue once. If you have massive mining operations and they hit gems quite often, haulers will just pick them up and from that moment on the whole bin and its contents are unusable until the dwarf puts the things in it.
>tfw just using QSPs and no bins/barrels and not giving a shit if it's an exploit

Talking about caravans.
Looks like every human and elven caravan just throwing their goods and dwarves can pick them up.
Merchants getting "Lost in despair" status and this happening.
Is that a bug? Or sinister biome that scary for them?

>1 fps

Dead game. Toady should either rewrite it or hire someone that can program.

His legacy will be the same as RR martins, fuck up your lifes work.

Get a better rig nerd.

Here's that (You), my dude. Hope you have a cool one today!

Really, name a rig that doesn't drop to 1 fps after a decade of normal play.

Unless you literally optimize everything with atom smashers, burrows, and never breaching the caverns. You might get 25 fps after 4 years.

>not ethnically cleansing your population every decade
you might as well drown everyone in lava

Hope those alpalca bones and 32 bit processing is worth it, fag!

>32 bit processing
Thanks for reminding of 64bit version.
It's 2 fps now!

>herbalist climbs stepladder and starts harvesting from feather tree
>drops all of the eggs 2 or 3 z-levels onto the bare dacite ground to collect them later, as you do
>all but 3 eggs break

Nice fps Chei

Theres no way I can purge my legendary weapon, armor, blacksmith, stonecrafter, ect ect.

>that doesn't drop to 1 fps after a decade of normal play.
I play on a shitty laptop for more than a hundred years and it doesn't drop to 1 fps

Why would you lie?
unless it's a 1 by 1 embark and you max out at 15 dwarves. Have fun with 0 military and invasions. no king or baron or mayor. might as well not even play.

I'm not lying.

80 dwarves normally, it's not a 1x1 embark either.

How do I make my military dwarves have a schedule to guard an area? Wiki link or anything?

Do you have any corpses or body parts of sentient creatures on the surface? Before you say no, make sure you look in trees too. Even as little as a tooth is enough to scare off merchants. If they're getting lost in despair then something is preventing them from leaving. The former case is unintended behavior (at least), the latter can be a bug if the merchants could have left your map.

200 years. i'm not talking about world generation either.

I find that 100% impossible to believe.

Neither am I.

Ok then, I don't give a fuck if you believe it or not.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Scheduling

Will making more clothing for my dwaves make them happy or are they happy to wear the same pants/shoes/gloves/exc for there entire life?

clothes disintegrate in a few years

The layering system really confuses me.
What is the bare minimum kit dwarves need to be happy?
Do they need cloth caps/gloves/cloaks/exc?
Do male dwarves wear dresses?
I can't find a "Make this this this and that to keep dwarfs happy clothing wise" and the wiki just redirects to stuff about metal armor.

They don't like having their torsos, lower bodies and feet bare. I usually manufacture one upper body wear(usually tunics or shirts), one lower body wear(usually pants or loincloths), shoes and socks.

Remember that all civs in the game(even civs of the same race) have their own set of clothes, RNG'd with respect to their raws. However, all vanilla civs should have all articles of clothing required to make your dorfs happy.

my usual clothier is just making Tunics, Trousers, Socks, And shoes on repeat.

I think cloaks + shoes offer 100% coverage. but you can layer if you want.

here's what I do

Head - Cap
Top - Tunic(shirt? can't remember) + cloak'
Bottom - Trousers + cloak
hands - Gloves + mitten
feet - Shoes + sock.

Thanks anons. Someone should add this to the wiki

too upset over framerate issues.

>Have vampire problem
>Bridge collapses
>Mayor gets trapped on other side with another dwarf for 2 seasons
>Other dwarf is dehydrated and starving when I manage to rebuild the bridge
>mayor isnt
>first thing he does is walk into the halls and sucks someone off
>hes actually a vampire
What the fuck

We already water wheels. When will they be used to process wood logs?

The current system, which enables a dorf to just drag a log to a cramped workshop and craft any thinkable commodity in about an hour, is stupid as fuck. The trivialisation of woodworking is a grave offense to anyone with an interest in pre-industrial logging industries.

>inb4 autism
That's the point with DF, isn't it?

I have locked him in the hospital after getting beaten for his crimes, if hes a vampire than he wont starve to death.
If he isnt, then well shit.

If you interrupted his treatment, he'll probably die of infected wounds within a few years.