/Germanic/ - /ᚷᛖᚱᛗᚨᚾᛁᚲ/

Let's have a thread for the history of the Germanic people. Middle Ages and before preferably.

Religion, Language, Military, Migration, and all that cool jazz welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4ztOV2wrrkY
youtu.be/b3hzR939uB8?list=LLf2TIahhiYQj8jgy98n5EzA
youtu.be/6xTqt_l2BtA?list=LLf2TIahhiYQj8jgy98n5EzA
youtu.be/xs-Bk43uRVM?list=LLf2TIahhiYQj8jgy98n5EzA
youtube.com/watch?v=pxPEcd6mLlY
youtube.com/watch?v=DyzopylT-Yg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLErFJ_hYUthC8e26JqVKsjeVYMXHMBQRY
youtube.com/user/BirkaViking/videos
eupedia.com/europe/autosomal_maps_dodecad.shtml#East_European
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_in_European_populations
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandal_Kingdom
sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle
youtube.com/watch?v=Jdi3gH-Naxk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtu.be/4ztOV2wrrkY

Any good reads on the East Germanic people? I find it really interesting that quite a few of the Goths actually went to a steppe-and-horse style life for a while there.

Germany is the lamest of all the Germanics desu

Is Finland dotted like that, they're fully not germanic

That's a map of Germanic languages, not Germanic heritage. Swedish, a Germanic language, is compulsory in Finnish education so they're dotted in the map.

the prevalence of Swedish as a second language there id imagine.

dumping some fucking sick music

youtu.be/b3hzR939uB8?list=LLf2TIahhiYQj8jgy98n5EzA

Despite being an official second language though it's not spoken at all outside the few Swedish speaking communities in the areas marked on the map, it's not present at all in the everyday life

youtu.be/6xTqt_l2BtA?list=LLf2TIahhiYQj8jgy98n5EzA

youtu.be/xs-Bk43uRVM?list=LLf2TIahhiYQj8jgy98n5EzA

youtube.com/watch?v=pxPEcd6mLlY

that'd be why its only dotted, since the entire country knows a Germanic language, its worth mentioning but cant be fully blue as it isn't predominant.

But I'm saying we don't, I'd guess maybe 10% could really hold a conversation in Swedish at most

How about some traditional music from the north?

youtube.com/watch?v=DyzopylT-Yg

the sole-blue coastal areas are ethnically swedish and some of them are scattered around the whole country

Schleicher's fable in Proto-Germanic:
Awiz ehwōz-uh: awiz, sō wullǭ ne habdē, sahw ehwanz, ainanǭ kurjanǭ wagną teuhandų, ainanǭ-uh mikilǭ kuriþǭ, ainanǭ-uh gumanų sneumundô berandų. Awiz nu ehwamaz sagdē: hertô sairīþi mek, sehwandē ehwanz akandų gumanų. Ehwōz sagdēdun: gahauzī, awi! hertô sairīþi uns sehwandumiz: gumô, fadiz, uz awīz wullō wurkīþi siz warmą wastijǭ. Awiz-uh wullǭ ne habaiþi. Þat hauzidaz awiz akrą flauh.

English:
The Sheep and the Horses: a sheep that had no wool saw horses, one pulling a heavy wagon, one carrying a big load, and one carrying a man quickly. The sheep said to the horses: “My heart pains me, seeing a man driving horses”. The horses said: “Listen, sheep, our hearts pain us when we see this: a man, the master, makes the wool of the sheep into a warm garment for himself. And the sheep has no wool”. Having heard this, the sheep fled into the plain.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLErFJ_hYUthC8e26JqVKsjeVYMXHMBQRY

youtube.com/user/BirkaViking/videos

Were East Germanics actually Germanic speaking Slavs and Sarmatians?

Not originally, but they probably did absorb a lot of them.

East Germanics were always different than Western ones

Probably not since Germanic is a centum language like Italic and Celtic although where Germanics exist eastern and western European genes converge they seem to possess more of the western European element.

eupedia.com/europe/autosomal_maps_dodecad.shtml#East_European
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_in_European_populations

I don't understand this map

Click on some of the links and read the labels and it should start to make some sense.

desu not speaking a Slavic language kinda discounts you from being considered a Slav.

In this case Vandals were either slavicized or never spoke germanic tongue at all

They might have shared some cultural affinities with Slavs as well as with other neighboring peoples such as the Celts but all Indo-Europeans likely have shared cultural characteristics as well.
Also keep in mind that East Germanics originated from Germanics that migrated from the Germanic Urheimat in Scandinavia long after other Germanic tribes had already migrated South and occupied areas of Germania.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandal_Kingdom

Vandals are the most underrated Germanics.

Nah, nigga
They got kicked out just everywhere and ended up in Africa and then got fucked by Byzzies
Vandals sucked

The existence of a Vandalic language has pretty much been established but yeah they where likely absorbed by more populous ethnicities, especially considering that they where often overlords of a larger preexistent population and would often assimilate their culture.
According to those maps it would seem that East Central Europe is has more evenly distributed eastern and western European characteristics.

that doesn't mean they were slavs. they were originally north germanics who moved from scandinavia to baltic coast and evolved into their own, separate group with or without balto-slavic influence.

I never denied they were not germanic.

What if Western Slavs were Eastern Germanics that adopted Slavic language?

Some of them probably were.

Can you classifie the Germanics as one of the racers in the human species?

of course not

Ask me anything about Germanic languages, or Indo-European languages in general.

How bad did everything that's happened to the Albanians fuck their language up?

It's pretty fucking neato that there's just this indo-european language that isn't related to any other indo-european langauge

i recall reading that during the conversion of the Germanic folk to Christianity from Wodanism, it was a common thing for there to be Mjolnir amulets with crosses on them, as somewhat of a hybrid between Thunor (protector of humanity guy) and Christ (savior of humanity), in that they felt they were somewhat similar.

Does anyone know where i could get one of these, and if it would be blasphemous or not? i'm a practicing Christian, and would also like to make a interesting nod to Germanic culture.

What are your thoughts on the Germanic Substrate Hypothesis, and exactly how prevalent are non-indo-European words in the Germanic languages?

It's a pretty old hypothesis and not really taken seriously anymore, most of the supposed substrate words have been shown to have Indo-European etymologies in the last 50 years.

But there are quite a few words that are only attested in western branches such as Germanic, Celtic, Italic, and Balto-Slavic sometimes thought to be non-Indo-European substrate words, but it's impossible to tell if they really are non-Indo-European or just Western dialectal Indo-European words.

To name some:
*h2ekʷéh2 'water' > Latin aqua/Gothic ahwa/Old English ēa
*towtéh2 'tribe, people' > Irish túath/Oscan touta/Gothic þiuda/Old English þēod/Lithuanian tautà
*makw- 'son, boy' > Irish mac/Welsh mab/Gothic magus/Old English magu
*weh2t- 'raging/furious/inspired' > English wode, Latin vatēs, Irish fáith, this is also the first element in Odin/Woden's name.

I always thought the Germanic form of light infantry before and during Roman times was always superior compared to the neighbors. Be it their attire - or lack there of -, the hair styles, the shield styles, and ambush style tactics are very impressive.

I mean, they were the reason the Romans did no penetrate Europe all the way to the Baltic

sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle

And this conflict. There is so much we do not know, but what we know is that the battle was massive for the day. When a village only fielded 40 - 100 men as their entire "army", this conflict must have been like World War 0.5 to them.

It lasted for a while too apparently: several skirmishes over weeks of time. I'd love to find out more about this very little known battle. Who exactly gathered to fight there? Why? Did it result in any drastic changes for European/Central Asian history down the road?

All took byrnie on
And the King the sword Kvernbitt
Then they rallied shield by shield
Under Håkon's banner
The attackers came upon them
With six men for each one of Håkon's men
In helmets and swords the sun shined
Like in the oceans waves

youtube.com/watch?v=Jdi3gH-Naxk

thats the battle of troy

But Germany managed to decimate 3 Roman legions. Other Germanics were just pirates raiding and plundering defenseless settlements and monasteries and camping nearby.

That's because Arminius was trained in Rome.

They ambushed them while they were strung out in a marching formation. Not even ambushed really, they straight up stabbed them in the back after drawing them in under the pretext of aiding a Roman client state.

Are you retarded? Legit question.

>t-that's against the rules!!

The Romans were basically mugged in a Germanian alley way.
In any case, I was replying to the claim that Germans were the lamest.

Cherusci != German/Germany

Right and none of the other tribes existed in the area called Germania either.

>invade someone's home to subjugate them
>yo man that's rude, stop it

Germans are the collective abortion of Europe
t. Nietzsche

I won't be as harsh as the other user, but I don't think this was the battle of Troy either. Although they found some people in the battle came from as far as Greece to fight in the battle, the legend would be totally different. There aren't even any walls at the battle site.

Same user here,

What also amazes me about the Germanic peoples is their amazement with Rome. They actually spent a century destroying, raiding, enslaving, and killing Rome.

When there was nothing but ruins and scant literature left... they suddenly looked around at each other and asked "the fuck are we doing?" They then spent years trying their best to become just like the civilization they blew up. Kind of ironic isn't it?

>Vandals
>Underrated

They literally got genocided by the Byzantines, they lasted like 50 years

Greece?

Source?