Pokémon Go General /pgg/

Server Edition

>About the game
pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-go/

>What is it?
Pokemon Go can be described simply as the Geocaching of Pokemon. Grab your smartphone, get some exercise, catch some mons, battle some people - the usual Pokemon gig.

Basic info:
As you traverse the real world, as represented on the in-game map, you'll occasionally run into tufts of rustling grass. Approaching these will end with a Pokémon appearing on the map, and clicking on it will initiate a battle.

Battles aren't between two Pokémon, though. They're between a Pokémon and your ability to swipe a Poké Ball in their direction. When you engage a Poké Ball, a colored ring will appear around the opponent. These change in size after each capture attempt. Throwing a Ball during a smaller window seems to be more effective, based on our time with the game, but that's a part we're still trying to figure out.
Going near water will attract water Pokémon. Playing at night brings out more nocturnal creatures, like Clefairy and Gastly.
Hatching Eggs: Each Egg displays the number of kilometers you must walk for the Egg to hatch. In general, the more kilometers required, the rarer the Pokémon that will hatch. A notification will appear when the Egg has hatched.
Make sure you have the Pokémon GO app open while you walk. Kilometers walked when the Pokémon GO app is closed won’t count toward hatching your Eggs.
Gyms: Fight at your team's gym to train and increase it's reputation. Fight at other team's to decrease their reputation. Tap your opponent to hit them, swipe left or right to dodge attacks, once one or more blue bars are filled, tap and hold to power up your secondary attack, release when the smaller blue bar fills up. Take over other teams' gyms and put your mons in to defend them.

Other urls found in this thread:

gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXapNtNTZw&feature=live-chat-promo
pastebin.com/YNpnASGS
cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Smelly pikachu farts!

I've been graced by the gods

>

enjoy collecting 400 candies for your big fish

>live in the suburbs
>just houses all around us
>magikarp on top of my neighbor's house

The fuck?

No, fuck you, we'll keep our thread here thanks

You don't have a roof pool?

>tfw you've caught so many rattatas that you've evolved the best one into a raticate.

?

>puerto rico wasn't included the the USA release

disgusting

Is there a strategy for the "perfect throw"?

I get that you need to hit in pokemon in the circle, but the ball always seems to fall short or go too long, takes me 5-7 pokeballs to get something

just getting used to it, really
putting spin on the ball helps a lot too.

How do you spin it? Ive done it a couple times by accident

anyone found a reliable way to find starters? Trying to level Charmander up seems like it's going to be impossible
open to general advice on finding uncommons too

If I login using my trainer club account it wont let me in. If I use a google account I can play.
FUCK, why I have to start again

Pretend the ball is a ball,

pretend the thumb is a thumb.

Rotate ball with thumb, and ball rotates

How do you get pokecoins? Or do you actually have to pay for that

You get max 100 free coins per 21h. You need to assign pokemon to a gym, then go to shop -> top right icon with a shield. You get 10 coins per pokemon, and once you click the icon, you'll have to wait 21h to claim your defender bonus again.

Having pokemons defending gyms

When I played the first day the game was unstable and said that the name I always choose to play was taken. Now I realized this isn't true, there's a way to change my name?

A Haunter appeared right in my room.
Escaped 2 pokeballs then vanished in a poof of smoke.....

I didnt even know they could run away. I threw like 10 pokeballs at a magmar earlier until I got him.

This Haunter must have been 200cp or above

usually that happens when I'm too far away from it

>mfw I went out at midnight and took over every gym in my town

>go out to take the 3 gyms near my apartment
>take two of them
>show up to the 3rd
>another guy standing near it with his phone out
>start fighting
>see his parasect across the arena
>we both kill this gyms electabuzz and take the gym for glorious Instinct
>never said a word to each other

Same

>Go out at 1:30am
>Take over two gyms within walking/battery range.
>Re-enforce two others.
>Stand around in a dimly lit back parking lot near some docks because of a treasure trove of pkmn.

Late night Go is best Go.

>Instinct

I played ingress and when something like this happens it's easy to make small talk without looking like an autist, once I even had a beer with some guy I met capturing portals. Hell, I loved ingress chat, it's a shame pokemon go doesn't have it

>being a valor tryhard or an mystic autist

Whats wrong with you user, Instinct is clearly the best team

>implying mystic isn't the OG
instinct is still better than valor scum tho

I actually only chose instinct because Zapdos is my favorite
Articuno is acceptable

>Valor fags ACTUALLY worship a flaming chicken

i was hoping gyms would be zones where you could pvp other players, so that way people would all rush to battle each other
that would be really fun

You get it running on PC? Tried like 3 different emulators with the closest one to working being Bluestacks. Problem is that it seems to be able to detect that I'm spoofing GPS data and I haven't found a workaround for that yet.

Guys I'm at work and people are stealing my gyms.

Why do pussy bitch do this?

How many people have you been seeing out?
I saw three people on my actual street and two others chilling at a gym. I smashed the gym until it had enough prestige to be reinforced.
>bug/grass neighbourhood
>half of my mons are flying
Get out of my hood.

take a gun and go out to teach them a lesson

Agreed. Looking forward to max coins and dust when I wake up here in a few hours.

Some are just like that, especially if the CP value is high/they have the red ring.

So there's never gonna be a classic Pokemon combat system in this right?

I think its been established. I am hoping we get a social/trade system in the coming months. Im sure nintendo knew what they were doing when they oversaw this project.

>3am
>still can't play
Amerifats are asleep right now. Why are the servers still dead

they said they were gonna gauge the player's reaction and go from there

His bike is yellow tho

Ive been hearing that people are hella mad at this though especially that you cant fight wild pokemon. Im not sure if this is a major part of people or just the vocal part.

What's with the blue glow surrounding certain pokemon in your inventory? Does it mean anything?

i'm mad about it for sure!
I want to be able to battle other players, trade pokemon, and be able to take my pokemon out and chill with them nintendogs style, but i bet its gonna be a fat minute before they decide to implement anything new

Vocal part. Most people won't care after considering it's a mobage. Ingress players knew this would basically be Ingress v2, and when the non Ingress players can get a taste of Ingress

I don't think we'll ever get a battle system against wild pokemon. This game targets the casual mobile crowd not really hardcore pokemon fans. It wouldn't be so different from actual pokemon games if that was the case.

Fucking stardust, pokemon candies, thowing pokeballs, etc is retarded.

As someone who has never owned a smartphone would it be worth it to get one just for this as an excuse to get some exercise and leave my basement?

How expensive are smartphones and their internet usually?

Yeah but I still dont understand what would be so bad as to have a normal combat system considering normal pokemon games arent that far away from mobage. I mean the combat system is not THAT complicated.

>I mean the combat system is not THAT complicated.
NIntendo thinks otherwise. That's why we have the crap we do now.

This game will be really boring on a PC, just a heads up

>considering normal pokemon games arent that far away from mobage
By what standards? Most pokemon games are pretty different intention wise from mobage as a whole. The level of complexity as far as mobage should be mindnumbingly low, just so the barrier for entry is minimal, and anyone with a cell phone can play it.

PoGo's "flick and tap" mechanics are perfect. No real need for thought or strategy, just tap the screen and move around.

Honestly wild poke battles are about the same level of complexity as trying to throw the ball in this game

Well the gym battles are literally just "Tap a lot" so I don't see wild poke battles being much better. Right now with it being so fresh the novelty is still there, and it'll probably still be there until people start hitting a grind wall. If Niantic doesn't release updates in a timely manner to keep people interested, well people will drop off naturally. But even if they do, the crowd will still whittle down bit by bit.

Honestly right now I'm not sure what good the trade function will really even have. People have been reporting that they and their friends in the same area see about the same pokemon, and it's not like there's really complex stat mechanics or trade evolutions in this game. It's a nice social option, but it feels pretty cosmetic in concept.

>Gym freaks out whenever i try and enter it
>First pokemon dies like normal
>Second is an unkillable revenant
>It can still deal damage
>Time ticks down to 0 with me just sidestepping to avoid attacks
>Sits at 0 for like 20 seconds
>Select "leave" expecting it to not work since the pokeball has been spinning in the corner this whole time
>DEFEAT
FUCK. Is this happening for anyone else or am i being memed on?

Gym bugs like 1 hp infinite pokemon and freezes have been commonly brought up. Either just keep trying and pray the bug doesn't get you, or wait for somebody to fix it.

>force quit app before battle is over if you're about to lose at a gym / lag
>reload with undamaged pokemon

>No gyms remotely near me
>walked for 40 min and only found a pidgey
>Only one item spot within walking distance and it's a 15 min walk.

Welp, looks like I'm not bothering. I swear the Pokemon series hates people who live in rural/suburb areas.

Blame Ingress players or the lack thereof in your community.

this guy is live streaming at night in a cemetary as of this post. he keeps whining telling people to stop telling him to look behind him. It's pretty funny.
gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXapNtNTZw&feature=live-chat-promo

livestream breaking into private property when?

Same shit here. About a mile to the nearest stop and nothing spawns anywhere near my home or neighborhood. At least I found a strong golbat when I was across town this evening.

Tomorrow when I break into a Ministry of Defense site near me to catch Golduck

What the fuck just happened

Godspeed user.

He got spooked by a skeleton. Then played it off cool.

Are the "burst of leaves" the grass patches people keep talking about?

You see grass burst up from the ground around the map, these are pokemon lurking around

Okay, what the fuck does "tufts of rustling grass" mean, because I've never seen anything I would describe like that, and Pokemon just seem to appear randomly when I walk places. Neither me or my two siblings, who are both playing, have seen anything like that to my knowledge.

Occasionally, I'll see little dust devils made of leaves pop up on my map in tallgrass areas. I thought those didn't do anything, but are those what "tufts of rustling grass" are?

What the fuck are you guys talking about?

Yeah. They're not guarantees though, just pointers on where you should walk by.

I ran out of pokeballs and all the stops give me like 1 at most with potions and shit on the side.

What the fuck do I do now

Find more stops

Okay so every gym in the area is controlled by red, should I join up Red or be the ass that takes them out?

You can sit at a stop and just farm it. Or I suppose you could probably cough up some cash and buy it no?

Buy 200 and never worry about it again

Use your Instincts.

pastebin.com/YNpnASGS

>ass that takes them out
If you can grind like mad and they have nobody that's grinding like mad, sure why not. But you might as well just join them and get guaranteed benefits.

Well it's a city run by farmers in Australia

How long will it take before this turns into a gay hookup app?

And how will I specify I'm looking to bang traps?

>Got all the gyms in my area last night,

>Had to make new account today due to PTC bullshit

>All my gyms taken over

>I train, and hike, and train, because I'm a champ

>Go to take my gyms back, 1hp glitch on all 7 of the gyms

>Go to bed

>see others on my team took them back at 3am

>don't want to walk the 2 miles it takes to visit them all at 3am

Blue Team Pride, World Wide,

who /teamzaptos/ here?

In ingress was better to be the underdog but it seems that is the opposite in pokemon go to buff gyms, but im not too sure

>glitch
uwot

bug, fine, whatever.

where when you go to kill them, they get stuck at 1hp, and you can't hurt them anymore and they stop attacking, then the timer runs out, but nothing happens, and you get stuck in the fight, so you restart the app and you're back to before you started the fight, and if you try it again the same thing happens.

haven't played the game or read the thread i see

I N S T I N C T

That's only assuming you get a spot in the gyms.

Gotcha
Around level 7, waiting on my friends to catch up and choose a team so I can team up with them but I might just go with blue

The issue is with the available spaces. There are bonuses to both. Naturally defender bonuses make holding the fort way better. Ideally what he should do is pick a different team and then cement dominance with his own crew.

>three evee on on my map
>crabby and a pidgey two steps away
2ez

Stupid question probably but I have a cheap smartphone because I don't use it as much as most people.

My current phone is a Kyocera Hydro View and it works OK, but the memory is pretty shitty and the AR simply wont work at all. I also think the GPS is dodgy and its affecting the game

I use Cricket and was wondering what phone would be good for this game thats under $200. Only requirement is that its an Android and will generally be decent with other games.

cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones

None of the pokemon you mentioned are rare. Not even eevee, which is now apparently just a wild pokemon.

Who said anything about rarity? It's just a couple of meters walk out of my house and continuously replenishes.

So what's so special about it? That's just how the game is intended to work user

The game isn't running on pc, the magikarp is just chilling on it.