/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Happy DD9 Edition

>Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

>Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC (embed)

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd (embed)

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw (embed)

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/CfBELs4X
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9/rate/75023
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for hahha

How do I make video games?

You just like do them

Great OP pic

But I only know how to do YOUR MOM LOL

OH SHIIIIIIT! REKT!

The only thing in my game not broken is walking (yet)

WEW

Is anyone actually playing the demos?

Screw progress POST FEEDBACK.

Free game idea coming through

Is VR a meme?

autism is fun user. you should try it.

I'm spending some time each game and then post feedback in the itch.io page.

Post it on /v/

all of them were shit tbqh

>20 views and 10 downloads
>18 of the views came from people searching in itchio
>Tfw I'll never get feedback

So, nodev here.

Is there a program for making text games? I ask program not language, because I would rather jump into action than having to program things such as save system. I don't want to go professional, I just want to make something for fun.

quick post your dead games

I'm going to make a video for every game.

what agme

I'm trying to finish my demo but I'm too busy shitposting.

Don't bully me

retrieved some old projects but the code is unworkable hacky shit sadly

not that i'm much better now but i'd build this stuff again faster than i'll figure out half of it
>comments
:(

I've planned to go trough every Demo Day game, but I've got tired in the middle. Will continue later.

Since I don't want to spam the thread with my notes of the games, here's the pastebin version, which I'll update and repost later:
pastebin.com/CfBELs4X

I would like to say thank you for all the devs who participate in this event. It's a great thing that you are dedicating this much time and effort into bringing joy and fun to other people's lives. Keep up the good work! And for crying out loud, zip the game's folder and not the game's files.

I'll return to the idea some time after I finish my current game.

i played all the games(except lostboy) and I gave feedback to those who asked on the last thread, what's your game?

>I don't want to spam the thread with my notes of the games
but user thats quality OC that directly relates to the thread

>pastebin.com/CfBELs4X
Dungeon Break dev here.

Could you elaborate on:
>- For some reason, when I hit an enemy, I feel like my hit not always counts.

Do you mean there's just not enough feedback to make the hit feel satisfying, or the hits aren't actually connecting and doing damage?

Thanks in advance

travelers dev here, thank you for the feedback!

Ayy Torpedo senpai, you there? I've been playing your game and having a lot of fun with it. Some of the later levels are plain evil, and I don't think I'm finished yet... good job mate.

My only problem with your game so far is the fact that in some levels you're guaranteed to die the first time through since you can't tell what's coming next. Maybe add a (skippable) pan through the level when you first enter it so players know what to expect?

Good job user, I'll be waiting until you play my game.
>zip the game's folder and not the game's files.
S-sorry

something like Quest?

you're probably looking for an engine, unless you plan to make it in powerpoint

Progress: you can get in the fucking robot

now put the robot inside the other robot

Forgot muh pic

>physics based rts
rate idea

>tfw I've made several aggy dagger meme pics
>it's now the OP

>Window Snip
Th-thanks Snipping Tool

Skeleton Boomerang dev here. The music is all placeholders at the moment, I probably should have mentioned that on the page. I need to get into contact with the musicians on the actual soundtrack. They're all just songs they had previously made that I chose to use in the demo because I felt they fit, they'll likely get replaced at some point.

Thanks for the rest of the comments!

>16 views
>16 downloads

We outchea

Glad to see you at least still browse here. What you been up to?

thanks

Bunnydev here, thanks a lot for the feedback. glad you enjoyed the game.

I've gotten a lot of complaints about the controls. I got used to playing with one hand so they didn't feel weird to me but I realize most people prefer playing 2-handed so I'll def do something about them. I was using WASD at first, someone suggested QWER as more sensible so I changed them.
Same thing for Bunny's position. At first she was an overlay on the track but people said it was distracting and suggested I make a clear separation between the song and the rest like other rhythm games do.
I'll try some things and see how it looks.

Looks like Dva's mech

Please post the secret code to unlock the costume ;_;

Can you masturbate to the comatose body of a German tsundere bitch(?)?

>filname
Not the dev, I was just posting a dead game

Screencap or you're lying.

>post your dead games
>your
You deceitful little shit

r-reading pixel info is easy g-guys

What in the world are you doing

Okay.
When you're on the title screen, hold the spacebar down and type the following wordsGIT GUD
No but really, git gud

Yeah that was my reference

someday

It is if you are not stupid about it.

it works thanks

Well I'll eat my hat. Congrats man.

Alright, I've downloaded every single DD9 game released by now except the games above 100MB (Project Wingman, Comfyville and Tier 1) and a single shitty whodev game.
I understand how Wingman and Comfyville can get over 100MB, but how the fuck did you manage to do that Tier1dev? Holy shit, it's a 2D space game, its size shouldn't be anywhere close to 200MB.

Gonna play every game and posts opinions of diverse sizes.

where did this meme sword originate from?

Well, a bit like Kingdom of Loathing. But complete text.

Ah yes, engine. Also I will check this program.

just joking around, I already did it
It's kinda cool actually, you can see the map itself when you zoom out the text

agdg I believe

When it comes to interactive fiction, I can vouch for Inform being pretty solid and accessible.

Thanks, looking forward to the feedback

I hope you didn't download Lostboy 2

This must take forever to load and parse

Thanks user I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I didn't download that either.

>More downloads than views
I wish I knew why this was happening.

Post stats so far.

>and a single shitty whodev game
Which one?

What the fuck

I'm gonna reduce it significantly, I just used a huge image to make sure everything works fine

It would be literally easier to read the pixel data from an image directly than what you're doing.

Probably people sharing the download link to friends or people having a download mess up and doing it again.

>over 100MB
It has ~12 tracks and a lot of sound effects for things, the audio takes up 96MB
Why don't you download it? It's fun.

Sauce me up, senpai

Good man.

MUTEKI dev. Thanks for checking my demo out. I'm glad to know nothing's gone horribly wrong yet.

In any event, I want to set some goals for myself before work starts and I have to keep minimizing Unity. I can see myself following one of two game plans:

>Plan A
Work on the UI, AI, camera and controls and make a survival-type game mode where you can have fun blowing up waves of enemies.

>Plan B
Spaceship welding. That is to say rendering/baking debris onto a ship sprite as opposed to just using a FixedJoint2D.

It's terrifying but I'm leaning towards B. I'll probably start dreaming in C# at some point and ask a waitress to get me a component in her parent.

easier isn't always faster or better

Well, maybe, but I know that /v/ people does not like walls of texts, and I didn't want to get bullied.

It's hard to explain. I see that it gets hit. It flashes, it makes a sound etc, yet I feel I've done nothing to them. Maybe the problem is that it's not clear how much I have to hit them, and because of this, even if they die, I feel powerless after all. But hey, maybe it's just me, and I've played so much Castlevania that I've got used to that enemies freeze for a small second when I hit them. I'm sure it's rather a game play thing (which is subjective) and not a bug.

The pleasure was mine! It reminded me of Counter Strike 2D, but, well, in 3D.

No problem.

Ah, that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure you know about this. You have a good taste, and that remix really fits your game.

Yes, I remember she was at top first. I don't know how much work would it be, but maybe adding a menu option for it? So the player can set where he wants to see her? Regarding the controls: I see no problem with simple WASD and one hand. If you get mixed feedback on this, maybe you should add this as a thing which the player can set. Like he could set which key to press for green, which for red etc..

I'm happy that I'm not writing it for myself, but like I've said earlier: it's me who needs to say thank you!

ok

But I meant the doujin...
I guess I could play games instead.

Just look for show by rock on sadpanda.

Hm, alright, I'll keep that in mind. I'm all for adding punchiness and making attacks feel effective, so this may be something I need to revisit. Thanks mang

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9/rate/75023

Posted a demo.
Actually had it ready yesterday but I was asleep when the demo day submissions opened and then I've been at work all day.

Enjoy anyway/

Thanks, fampai

Thanks guys, I'm really happy. I hope you're enjoying my game.

whaddha think of this pooch design?

It would be both easier and faster in this case.

aw shit it's like a zerger doggo

All of these will get downloaded eventually. Maybe.

Which one is it?

Doesn`t look like a game to me.

cute and nice/good

it's so cute I'm stealing it.