AGDG DEMODAY TURBO EDITION - GET DEV OR GET FUCKED KIDDO

THE DEMODAY MARATHON CONTINUES ON THE BIGGEST TV IN NEW YORK
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9
SUBMIT OR GET KILLED IRL
> Next (less improtant)Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
>AKA Try harder website dev
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew (fags)
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev (worse)

> Previous (Less good) Demodays
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: (lol) unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

inacio.itch.io/comfyville-pre-alpha-v02
strawpoll.me/10702263
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9/rate/74917
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw u finally submit a demo day demo
feels gud to b a yesdev

No game is better than bad game.

>implying I have a demo
not for you bullies anyway

What isn't an excuse? Is there a real good reason to nodev?

sounds about right

Forwarding this to new thread.

Feedback here for several devs, if you guys hadn't seen it yet. I also copied these comments to your itch.io pages so you have it documented.

>Then I went on to work on a platformer that I gave up on, which had character movement mechanics implemented, so it was playable.
>I've made a few other "games" since then, to be fair they were more proofs of concepts than games
Is this who I think it is?

Play my game!

inacio.itch.io/comfyville-pre-alpha-v02

FAQ:
>G drops current held item
>Shop is on northwest side of map
>Save and Quit (to main menu) on the Tab menu before entering the shop to save planted trees and saplings

>tfw made just 20 minutes' worth of progress today
Fuck.

That's Robert Downey's Jr. height in time units. Work more.

>still trying to make yourself feel better for being a nodev among gamedevs
Why? Do you hang out in Veeky Forums and tell everyone that it's okay to be fat and weak?

>Crouch
It shall be so

>Difficult to dodge
This is actually something that's been bothering me so far. The enemy AI is really rudimentary at the moment. When they see you they just shoot constantly in a set random cone. I have some ideas to make them more predictable so it won't stay this way for release.

>Multiplayer
I know, god I know. I really want it to have split-screen like Perfect Dark or Goldeneye but it will have to wait until I'm completely done with the singleplayer as that's the focus.

>Why? Do you hang out in Veeky Forums and tell everyone that it's okay to be fat and weak?
You now realize every board/general/community/whatever has people like this, quite a lot of them in fact.

That is humanity.

Reminder that space jam is still on.

>my game not played
:(

There's a WASD control option and Xbox controller support (recommended obviously).

Esc opening menu is standard for all games.

And yeah you can remap the controls.

Lots of "different feeling" stuff is planned and in the works.

Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback though. I agree with a lot of it, and many things are still early/rough so look forward to future progress. :)

Awesome, sounds cool.

Maybe for the enemies, you could make it so they shoot at a certain point, that follows the player's coordinates, but somewhat lags behind by a second or so? So if you're standing still, they'll shred you, but if you're sprinting around, you can generally stay out of their line of fire?

Just an idea. I can't into3D so that might not be the right move.

Sorry man! I worked 9 hours today and I want a little bit of me time tonight haha. Which game is yours? I'm going to play some more tomorrow.

>he's not devving his android game on android using raw Lua with no sprites
What kind of nodev are you
someone save me from this hell

i believe in you, user

You can run Lua on Android?

I'm asking because you used the word "raw" so I assume you're not using any framework or library to facilitate that process.

Well the strange thing is that you won't find anyone on Veeky Forums making arguments that it's okay to be fat and weak.

But you'll find more than a handful of people in agdg or even steamchat who think it's okay to hang out with gamedevs as if they are a gamedev themselves when they're not.

I know that deep inside they know it's pathetic and are just trying to justify it, but why even try to justify it? Where does that need come from? Fat and weak people in Veeky Forums don't spend time trying to justify it.

If you want to be a shitposting nodev, just do it. It's when you make excuses for it that the shame is obvious.

>mobile shit
kys

play mine if you can! i'm really starving for some feedback. there's some rough edges here and there but i want to know if i'm headed in the right direction. i only got 20 downloads so far

Free released 2D or 3D cute girl when?

it's 370mb but maybe 1 or 2 people will try it out

I'm mostly just curious if it runs on other people's computers

What the fuck do you think this is, 1998?

Well, if you change it a little you can. Actually, I'm using the Lua Scripting app which uses the LuaJava library, that adds some useful functions to game and app development

I can check it out tomorrow probably. Don't feel bad, I submitted mine at 6am and I don't have many more downloads :P

snek

FEEDBACK #2
- You've done well to present the immensity of space
- The back button on the options screen is a bit hard to notice
- Page Up/Page Down should move the zoom level in pre-defined increments - right now they seem to be "hold down to instantly zoom out to ant-size / ship-covers-the-whole-screen size"
- I think targeting a ship should highlight the ship
- The space background could use some work (understandable for a demo, but I think this will be very important as you continue making the game... a really nice dynamic background would really make the atmosphere)
- In the tutorial, I locked onto the nomad, rammed it to death (didn't realise you had to do that... I was looking for a shoot button) and then tried locking onto the farm ship but only 4 coloured empty boxes appeared at the top instead of the previous list of ships
- That 'boink' sound when ships are destroyed.......
- Flying a small fast ship is really fun
- I like the big "laser lines in space" thing in huge combat zones, reminds me of Legend of the Galactic Heroes

strawpoll.me/10702263

starting today's nightly game

the theme is "infinite runner"

everyone is welcome to participate.

time to make a game in 1 night!

Yea

>20 downloads
>only

>strawpoll.me/10702263

Raiden > Gradius

I do like Pulstar and Blazing Star quite a bit though.

Played the wingman game, really amazing work for one person. My only gripe is that the green indicators for enemies was confusing and the boxes were hard to see. Please just make enemies red and friendlies green and make the boxes much more distinctive (darker color and bolder). I'm not sure about all the keyboard controls, so maybe these already exist, but a "target enemy under reticle" and "target closest enemy" would be useful.

FEEDBACK #3
...I actually already gave you feedback vampirefu-dev

You should see my feedback on your itch.io page under the name 'zeroquest' (I think I posted it in the thread the other day too)...

Playing Pug's game. Next to Neetdev he's the only one of you faggots I ever cared about. I guess Arikado is cool too.

I'm in Nicaragua with shit internet so I didn't download anything over 100mb

My game has 1 (one) download.

Where do I go from here?

>one person

I didn't made any progress at all today, but at least now thanks for the feedback I know all the shit that needs to be fixed.

Jelly game developer here.

I read through all the responses I could and will take not. It seems like one of the biggest complaints is the floaty controls which I will try to fix. I would prefer them to be more direct like a normal platformer.

2 downloads.

D I A G O N A L
I
A
G
O
N
A
L

Pitch to VCs

Didn't the ninja arena dev say he might put a demo out this time? Getting nervous.

It's been a long road, getting from there to here. It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.

Take note*.

Who is Skeleton Boomerang-dev? Have they actually posted progress here before, and how did I miss it?

Spriting is way harder than it looks, people always give "lol retro" games a lot of shit but I can't even do those kinds of graphics.

I hope you all like colored rectangles

post link I'll review
there is still a day left to submit too, you'll get some stragglers

Just a whodev. There are lots of them.

noice

dang, that's looking really good now. you've got all the pieces

I don't know real programming but the times I tried scripting I always tried to keep the code as autistically efficient and short as possible even if it looked confusing and broke completely with a stiff breeze.

What's the right programming language for me?

perl

haskell

>want to make content
>try to draw an enemy
>give up because cant draw
being a programmer is suffering

Why do they come here and force their way into our demo day? I looked up the game and it already has a decent following on tumblr and elsewhere. Why take attention away from the poor devs here who post progress regularly?

They're the 2nd most popular game now (if itch.io's sorting really is by popularity as it seems to be). Only the idol one is beating it.

Feels like we should have moderation or something.

A game where you are a cool dude and you must defeat the bad dude.

A game where you are the bad dude and you must defeat yourself.

you're a functional autist.
go pick up haskell or some other flavor.
Per))))))))))))))) will trigger your autism.

FEEDBACK #4
...I've also already given you feedback, sorry. I was the one in steam chat who gave you live feedback.

Thanks for the feedback user, and you're spot on with all of what you mentioned with a few exceptions of things I didn't know were a thing. To answer some of your issues though (these aren't excuses I mention I'll fix them, just explaining the current mechanics):

>The light isn't coming correctly out of either the red and the green lantern.

I hate those things. Yeah. Sorry about that.

>The Dark levels are completely unfair without a lantern, it's just poking around without any hint of what the level looks like.

This is fair, originally there was no yellow light and my friends that playtested it suggested making it easier, should I make the background a darker shade of grey instead of the same color as the walls?

>The hurtable, red lights are so subtle I had to die half a dozen times to notice what was going on.

I've been having trouble conveying those being bad. Maybe just an image showing that it's bad or a dog running into it in a level before?

>The tutorial level with the fireflies is terribly hard to understand what to do since the button only works randomly.

If it's the chase level, the button is a Kaizo mario button, it creates a block making the level unbeatable. Skip it and jump on the green fairy coming in from the right to get the height needed but like I'll say in a second, I'll make this a fixed value

>The green dots that make you jump higher have completely arbitrary values of how high they will send you.

Green light height is dependent on how long you've been in contact with it, coming from bellow will send you higher than coming from above, but since you think it's random I'll make it a set amount from now on like the green arrows do.

1/2

>Why take attention away
For attention and visibility, obviously.
That's how marketing works and those devs don't give a fuck about agdg.

I would usually point it out but it's useless considering that we have idiots here defending them.

A game where you are a cool dude and you must defeat other cool dudes.

>Feels like we should have moderation or something.
Put one of those cocksucking shitposter mods from steamchat on the job.

Oh wait they all say Veeky Forums is shit and that they never read the thread so they would have no idea who is a whodev anyway.

No idea if vine even keeps a watch on the threads anymore either.

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9/rate/74917
ok, the 64-bit version is uploaded. uploading 32-bit now. but if anyone is curious and doesn't mind a big download, feel free to let me know if it works or not

that's my life

TacticalRPGdev does this means that my toaster can't run your game?

vine just wants more people for her demo day she doesnt give a shit about agdg

>The kick action seems to have no use, though I haven't played all levels yet.

You have to be standing directly next to the object or carrying it to kick it. I'll make this more lax on the distance or give him a cartoonishly big foot to kick with when he does battletoads style.

>The player has absolutely no notion of what's going on since there are no "holding" or "jumping" or even "standing still" sprites.

There is technically a standing still sprite, it's him looking around. But you're right I've been procrastinating on the holding and jumping sprites.

It probably means I can't write shader code. Mind sharing your graphics card?

now drawing a scaled 480*360 playfield in the window

Whaddup see

>open social media
>cops cops cops!black people black people black people!
>walk outside
>watch casual fun comedy show

wheres the meme game agdg

> rammed it to death (didn't realise you had to do that... I was looking for a shoot button)
It should've said to press the C key, it didn't?
>That 'boink' sound when ships are destroyed
Are you listing this as a good thing or a bad thing?
>4 coloured empty boxes appeared at the top instead of the previous list of ships
You're supposed to click one of them, each one of those buttons is to list ships from a specific team.

getting sick of this shit also

yes user, your controls are shit, make it so it wasd update with the rotation. W will always be pointing where the head is at,A to the left side of the body and D to the right side of the body. i quit the game within 10seconds from pure frustration. would love to test it out in the future if you manage to fix those darn controls.

game looks beautiful by the way =]

Do you know how I know that you're white? You're whining about the supposed whining of others

A game where you shoot black bomber maniacs as a white sniper.

I call it Team Fortress 2.

>should I make the background a darker shade of grey instead of the same color as the walls?
I don't think that's a good solution. It would be just like a normal level but a darker background. If you really want to make levels like these just make the light radius around you bigger.

>If it's the chase level, the button is a Kaizo mario button, it creates a block making the level unbeatable
I see, I beat it without knowing what I did at all. But it wasn't really a chase since I just used the bug of falling in a hole and getting HP.

>Green light height is dependent on how long you've been in contact with it [...]
I just had real problems with it in the bug level. If I jumped from the yellow to the green it was completely ineffective, so I had to hurt myself on the red and then touch the green. This change is up to you.

All my games from now on with have zero black people, or any ethnic minorities because I'm sick of hearing about it.

Cops don't just go around shooting niggers. Cops only shoot people who are

>being belligerent and failing to comply
>do something really stupid with a knife/gun like charge them
>have concealed and illegal weaponry

Black people are so fucking stupid. If you just comply with the cops you're not going to get shot.

I don't mind, I enjoy the style very much. Where will it be available? You should advertise it in agdg when it's done

>RType
>Thunder Force
>Metal Black
>Gate of Thunder
>Einhander

Horizontal shmups are for people who like videogames and fun.
Vertical shmups are for people who like high scores.

What color does it make you if you complain about someone's complaining?

lmaoing at your white privelege

black guy in the car wasn't any of those things

FEEDBACK #5 (Charlotte's Dream v0.2)
- It would be nice if the environment was more animated (e.g. the water)
- Guitar riff on power slide when? (sounds when?)
- Took me a moment to notice the 'pile of sand = crab' thing... although I guess that's just me being silly, but maybe make it slightly lighter/glowier than the normal sand to make it more obvious?
- The "you woke up" sequence is great
- Cute animations
- The hermit things aren't that bad, not sure why someone was complaining about them before

I don't think I will be making it like that. I would rather prefer it to work like old platformer controls. using A and D to turn while using W to move forward sounds very strange.

The shmup I made is horizontal, so I think the answer is a bit clear plz give feedback

Zaxxon and Motherbase 2000 are cool and all, but most games doing that fall flat on there faces.

holy shit are you me

Oh yeah, I understand what you mean. I thought of it as a damage boost in order to reach it, these instances were supposed to make the player feel clever not uncertain if that was the intended route, I'll think of something. Maybe remove the yellow one entirely? Or the red one.
Good luck on the boss if you get to it, it's the big door at the bottom. The chase level spits you out to the hub just before it.

who gives a shit about a single event happening.
there's so many people in the world, bad things are bound to happen

Game development.

RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think it's far enough in that I can can reply to feedback. Thanks to all the devs who played and reviewed!

>WASD for panning
Done. I'll have remappable keys in the final version of course.

>Move several squares at once
I tried to implement this, using the pathfinding that I used elsewhere, but it clashed with some previous assumptions I'd made in the code. I'll definitely add it soon.

>UI / Clarity
One of you suggested that I add a UI with all a unit's information, abilities, size, type, etc. I already had that coded up but it was ugly and incomplete, so I left it out. A few of you still managed to figure out the gameplay!
Another reviewer suggested NOT adding any real UI, and letting the player discover everything themselves.

So I'm torn between a minimal UI, or a very cyberpunk baroque ui where every marginally useful piece of data is shown at once. I don't really like the middle path of a standardd UI.
>size of this unit's trail
>this unit's head location
>unit at the mouse's head location
>unit at the mouse's abilities
>distance between head and the mouse location
>and more

I already am tracking all this info in the code, so the only work is making a UI for it.

(1/2)

>Zaxxon
Holy what, I might be.

Just a few more hours and I'll post it