Starting a website business

I'm looking to live the meme dream by starting my own website company. One thing that I'm not sure of is what i need. Do i need a copyright or business name? legal documents or such? help a webfag out Veeky Forums

Before you think about that, you should be thinking about how are you going to gain popularity and how are you going to produce consistent OC.

>Do i need a copyright or business name? legal documents or such?

How about you start by telling us where you are.

I'm currently working on a site for a small business that if all goes right will be paid 300 a month for the initial website + up keep.

also leaving flyers on community boards and craigslist.

chicago

>300 a month for the initial website
what kind of business is it? 300 a month for "maintenance" is pretty steep I'm surprised they agreed to that

they do scripts and write books and get aid 1.5k a week or every 2 for the things they do.

*paid and a standerd company charges 500 per 5 pages of crafted html css.

yeah but they don't charge 300 per month for a static site

>crafted
hipster faggot detected

i use html css java php. but hey if they agree to it after i show examples, who really loses

300 per month for maintenance is still ridiculous, one day they're going to ask themselves what they get for that money and realize you've been ripping them off, then you're going to lose word of mouth advertising from them no matter how great your site is

that being said if I knew someone stupid enough to pay me that much to do nothing I would do it too

nah senpai. i'm Hispanic trying to make it out of the hood.

the trick is too show them the competitions prices and to explain to them what their getting while i then swoop in and give them a way better deal that in the long run will be pricier but if they make bank like i said earlier i think they could afford to lose. then if they get suspicious i would renegotiate the price. i make money from nothing and they feel big chested because "they pulled one over the nerd by getting a better deal."

sure but this could be debunked with 1 phone call to any web designer, for the most part they set you up with hosting you pay for it

the only time you'd be paying anywhere close to $3600 per year for hosting is if it's a large commercial application which requires special hosting conditions that can't be purchased for $3 a month

true. im still learning as i go on. more then likely once i have enough clients to have a bigger "library of base sites" ill lower the prices. im trying to make enough sites then i can make 3k to 4k a month and only work part time

$300 per month isn't that outrageous if you're not going to be charging for bug fixes and minor updates, it's basically a retainer.

I charge $75/ph for updates and bug fixes past the initial release so you really might be shooting yourself in the foot here.

You should really plan out what that $300 covers and make it clear to them.

How would I go about doing that? As I stated I'm kinda new in the business and any help would be appreciated.

Can you elaborate on this?

How so?

the initial site would be 300 dollars. What terminology do you use to make the other 75/hr justifiable? Also how does the 75/hr work? Do they choose what times you update the site or do you Bill the customer by the hours you choose?

>What terminology do you use to make the other 75/hr justifiable?
I don't, they send through an email saying what they need updated, I say ok, I do the update and send an invoice. They have hardly any choice in the matter since I know/host their sites.

>Also how does the 75/hr work? Do they choose what times you update the site or do you Bill the customer by the hours you choose?
It takes as long as it takes, minimum I charge is $75 but if they for instance want to send through 20 3mb 2000x2000 pictures I note how long it takes me to read the email, download the images, resize them all and upload them to the site. As a contractor it doesn't really matter, clients won't request a down to the minute time sheet of what you've done, but in saying that I wouldn't charge someone $150 if it took me an hour and 1 minute to make their update.

Thanks for the advice. But as for my original question, what do I need to start my company?

sorry hoss I have been getting increasingly drunk since the start of this thread

If Chiraq is anything liek Australia you probably won't need to do anything officially to run this business with such low gains, but I am pretty munted so don't take this as fact, hopefully someone can answer your questions more thorougly

Thanks for the contribution also it's kinda fucked up that you even know about that nickname all the way from down under haha

Been trying to do this for awhile now. It's been nearly impossible for me to find clients. 90% of clients have been online, and they are all extremely cheap (i.e. wanting a top notch website for $50).

Give them an html basic site or download a template and charge them 50. Then create a top notch site and compare side by side.