Is he right, Veeky Forums?

>"what's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

They both have valid points. The bottom point is valid for teachers who actually give a shit and care about their students.

Which is not the vast majority of teachers.

Let's face it, public education is an absolute disaster. Teachers unions ensure bad teachers stay on the payroll. Public budgeting ensures bad schools get more money than good ones.

This is also true.

>The bottom point is valid for teachers who actually give a shit and care about their students.

And then they get tenure after 3 years and stop giving a shit but do their 25 years to get that sweet pensions. Not to mention, even if teachers are perfect, parents have a much larger impact on the malleable time of the kids life.

Really makes you think...

Terribles are literal trash. Too many "i want to influence the young minds of america" and not enough people who know how to do that job well.

In my school kids were allowed to do literally no work, the idiots and losers, and make it all up at the last day it was due at end of semester or whatever...entire classes worked this way. The public schools and the teachers are B A D.

And we were a "B" school then an "A" somehow....Alright SURE. Gotta keep that money rolling in eh?

>The bottom point is valid for teachers who actually give a shit and care about their students.

I can count how many these teachers I have had in school, hs and university

It's certainly the minority

But those ones really stick out and I'd like to thank them one day if I could, though I don't know how. Two are already dead.

>I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor
Bonnie you stupid bitch this isn't a good thing.

Mr. CEO: I make 12m a year.

Teachers don't just teach whatever they feel like.

They're glorified parrots.

Teachers are unduly glorified babysitters.

And they make about £22k

this

Fucking professor hasn't responded to my email once!

TWO WEEKS!!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Teachers are "that friend' who always thinks he knows it all & doesn't care what you think.

Now he gets paid for talking out of his ass

Is school just another word for church?

Not everyone cares about keeping up with the Jones

Having the ability to effectively teach is a rare skill and it's undervalued in the current market. It used to be a more valued skill, when it was only the rich who could employ their service and it wasn't taken for granted. Now since it's held as a right, rather than a privilege, people are unwilling to compensate extra for what they feel they are entitled to for free.

In the words of Marcus Aurelius, "value your education. if you find one who makes a good tutor, spend liberally on them so that you may keep them in your service."

I think we need to have a cultural shift to re-emphasize the value of a good instructor. Elevate their status and we can do so by the power of the market. De-emphasize routine grading. People should not feel obligated to select a teacher based off how likely they are to receive good marks.

Consider internet education, you would be a fool if you chose a math course based off how easy it was to get to the finish screen, rather than how well the instructor explained the material.

Grades should exist to provide feedback on how well you are improving, not how you compare to the wider population. We can still use aptitude tests, but it should be decoupled from the regular education system.

Would you rather send your child to someone who's worst nightmare was to become a teacher? So pathetic.

There only so many good instructors to go around. You can't really base country-wide education system on them, you need mass produced teachers for this shit to work.

Some say a digital super-teacher available as an app is the future but it would only help those kids that are inclined to learn, other brats will just shut it down and play a game instead.

the best math teachers/professors that I ever had were ones that had worked in the industry

The second part was cringeworthy. Most of the things she "teaches" to children are things kids should learn from their parents

The best teachers I've had were sort of born for it. The reward and thrill of teaching students.
Students are their special puzzle and they want to unlock them watch them grow.

You've heard it, teaching is more of a calling than a profession with a title.

The main problem with teachers today is the choosing of their students.
communication is a two way street. If you're gonna be lectured at by somebody, you want them to actually be smart not a book parrot.

today if we are going to be parrots, we can parrot from the best lecturers in the world or ask questions of preeminent thinkers. why do we need our own personal parrot to play telephone with a book.

>implying most parents don't let tv do most of the teaching nowadays

The only people that can become teachers in scandinavia are top achievers to be honest.

He's right. In the end, it's all about the money.

>why?
Because money = power.

Bonnie is just a utopic leftist cunt.

Lol maybe in disciplines where the private sector is non-existent like art history and women studies.

your entire post is incoherent

I had a teacher in high school who was a successful lawyer and was definitely well off (always dressed like a politician, driving a Porsche 911 as a daily commuter, was constantly out of the country for International cases, etc) and taught law and economics in our public school.

He's right. The kid might grow up to be a bit nicer, but they will just be cogs in the machine without knowing how to make real money.

CEO's argument is simplistic and without much merit. Much akin to likening apples to oranges. Teacher's argument is idealistic and overly lofty. Both are full of shit imo. CEO's fill a niche as to teachers. But really, this article is just a story and pretty much never happened It's clearly an idealized meeting in the perspective of a teacher. Much as they would like ti have it this way, most teachers aren't going to be so articulate as to make all of those points on the fly in a group of actual adults. had 3, maybe 4 great teachers in my life and while they were great mentors for life and exposed me to things I was not getting at home, I don't think they made a difference to the majority of students in the class, and most of my teachers were phoning it in. I clearly remember seeing them as not liking their jobs.

I think the CEO is right.

Most students aren't like the ones the teacher is describing.
"I make the wonder", no you don't, you enforce a strict syllabus which every school must follow to ensure that all kids are the same leaving out room for curiosity. Luckily we have the internet now so kids can learn about what they want in their own time.

The kids that got ahead in life were the ones that adventured a path by themselves. All the kids from high school that were in to shares make lots of money in finance, all the kids in high school that made portfolios of software products got offered jobs for software development straight out of high school, the kids that only learnt what the school taught them ended up as teaches.