/evn/-Move your bum

Successful Kickstarter edition.

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/4s46vg/go_go_democratic_peoples_republic_of_korea_is/d572bw5
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw you absolutely have to work at 800x600

Why limit yourself user?

Why?

Is a client making you? I can't think of any good reasons besides those, except as an aesthetic choice (an example of this would be Digital where it makes sense to have a 4:3 aspect).

There is a good reason

I wish things could be prettier but it will have to do

>post progress on twitter
>people unfollow
rrreeeeee

>There are VNs being made RIGHT NOW that aren't 8k compliant.

kek

nice

>post progress on twitter
>get dozens of followers for each tweet
Feels good man.

kek

>Have thousands of followers
>Post bat character for VN
>Batman follows me
Life is good.

ssssssssssss

upholding bump quality since 2004

>implying you have my permission to die

Will there be pixel art involved?

user that was asking where to upload your VN, I have a question for you.

Where did you go? I have been waiting for 2 days since you said you would upload it.

Sincerely, your fellow user
user

I'm still here. I can't post it yet because I'm away from my computer. Thanks for caring about my shitty VN.

last bump and you're on your own

i'm always on my own :(

tick

Absolute noob here, what exactly does that mean? Not supporting 8k resolutions?

If your sprites are not made large enough to scale up to real size without losing quality, you're doing it wrong.

It's stupid threadly renpy question time.
If I need to move an imagebutton n pixels to the right and n pixels down for every created iteration of this imagebutton, how do I write a transform to do this? In pseudocode:
>for i in enumerate(buttons_list):
>imagebutton at position
and for the transform:
>xalign 0.5+(position_modifier which is lets say 50 pixels) yalign 0.5+position_modifier
>and make position_modifier get multiplied by i (so for the third button transform will move it 100 pixels etc)
I just can't organize it in my head, maybe someone has any ideas

You release your masterwork and some people like it and it gets ten positive reviews.
On the same day an AJ Tilley game comes out and is a thousand times more popular.
What do you do with your life now?

Live

Post about it on Veeky Forums.

>What do you do with your life now?
I'd probably stop being a bitch and realize quality and profitability aren't the same thing, and start considering whether there is a market for what I am selling in the first place.

wew, figured it out, carry on senpaitachi

>Start kickstarter for game
>Cheap tier also gives copy of the game
>Everyone interested supports kickstarter
>Get game greenlit on Steam
>No one buys it because everyone already gets a copy
>Barely anyone reviews it

Am I worrying too much?

if nobody likes good games should we all just quit

There are 11M people using Steam right at this moment and (almost) none of them have heard about your game yet. Make a good game and you'll be good

if you give a steam key with the KS reward, won't it still count for the daily purchase/download popularity?

From a pure mathematical point of view, yes, very much so. You would benefit from not putting effort into making something that won't sell/only you will like. There are other mediums and other userbases. EVNs are not your only option, they're just the cheapest in terms of audiovisual presentations of a story.

If you set your kickstarter to a sufficient amount to fund the game's creation, any sales afterwards are gravy, so it doesn't matter that much. In practicality there will always be sales afterwards because there will be people who missed the kickstarter, or who only buy finished products, or who hear about it because they see a friend playing it on steam, and so on.
I don't think this is well known, too many private algorithms at work. My guess would be that it does not count for the 'top seller' list, but if people with a free key PLAY it, it counts for a different set of internal popularity measurements.

Perfectly reasonable concern.

Has anyone had experience giving out steam keys for their products before? Is it a fairly straightforward process?

>paste steam key into email
>send email
What part of the process are you asking about?

Do you get an infinite number of steam keys that you can give out?

I'm not a steamworks dev but my best friend is. As far as what he's described it as you just go in and "print" however many codes you need (could be in the thousands if you wanted) and then you just do whatever you want with them, like email them to people or something. I'd get him in here but of course he's asleep.

yes

Sounds pretty easy, thanks.

is there an automatic system to it or does all have to be manually sent?

You request them from Steam. I personally had to send out each one, one-by-one. It was a very long and laborious process.

More or less. You request them in batches from Steam (you can have batches labeled as to their purpose, which may help you track them later), they send you a giant list in a text file, then you do whatever with them.

bumpity

>Has anyone had experience giving out steam keys for their products before?
I did that, for both reviewers/YouTubers and giveaway groups. Would not recommend giveaway groups.

>10 again
are you shitting me

Veeky Forums is too fast of a board for this thread.

>Second weekend in a row where I shitpost instead of working on my VN.

I literally feel like throwing myself out of a window.

We just live near the bottom of the catalog. It doesn't mean we don't belong here.

>not shitposting while you work
You're doing it wrong fampai.

Also throwing yourself out a window will make your work output even lower.

>Stay up 24 hours doing stupid shit, getting a little tired and completely exhausted
>Make tons of progress on my VN right before I crash
>No progress for the next week

What the fuck is wrong with me?

I know you are right.

whats a normal number of copies to sell for a steam sale?

>been making steady progress for the past two months every single day

:^D

Anyone can make progress every day. That doesn't mean it's good.

>Anyone can make progress every day.
I wish.

good luck, you corporate spy

keep telling yourself that as you play MMOs for 16 hours a day

Projecting.

What is that girl's name?

Priya, apparently

That's not a girl.

I'm pretty sure that's a girl.

Cute name. She looks Indian.

Teeeeenth paaaaage

Why bother trying to keep it alive?

to spite you

I'm having a lot more fun with my gameplay than I am my story. I feel I am doing visual novels wrong.

What's your gameplay?

It's a roguelike where you have to get your randomly generated character across a perilous desert.

Maybe you need to hire a writer

Sounds cool, pls don't let it die.

RA dev?

I am a writer, though I have more fun lately coding. There's something very calming about it.

The downside of having a unique VN concept.

>RA
Ok I looked through 4 pages of lsf wip sections, and it's not "rising angels" either, right?

actually you're just the only dev i can think of doing a roguelike. desert setting sounds cool though

> reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/4s46vg/go_go_democratic_peoples_republic_of_korea_is/d572bw5

post vndevcore music

Why are you here and not in /agdg/?

>reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/4s46vg/go_go_democratic_peoples_republic_of_korea_is/d572bw5

> We were quite happy to work with them and show them test versions of the game.

That backpedaling, holy shit. They said they asked lawyers to make sure it fell under parody, as far as I'm concerned they were quite aware that they could step on Overdrive's toes but decided to go ahead anyway.

They're a bunch of assholes, no surprise there

>Dodger did a playthrough of Panzermadels
>Keeps advertising them on Co-optional Podcast, even did in the last one
They got some lucky advertising.

Did anyone hear about Winged Cloud having no plans to continue Sakura Fantasy, because the first chapter didn't sell as much as they hoped? They posted about it on their patreon.

There was much grousing on /u/

It's another strike against episodic vns.

I think it's more that the game took too much effort to make for Winged Cloud.

mostly, they're lazy
but yes, episodic is dangerous because developers use it to 'test the waters' and are very prone to canceling if the result isn't as awesome as they hoped

How? It wasn't any longer or asset heavy than their other games. Maybe Sakura Beach 2 just convinced them that sequels sell like shit. Sakura Fantasy wasn't a very good performer for Winged Cloud.

Are you sure you're thinking of the right game? There was no more effort put into Sakura Fantasy than any of their other regular VNs.

The other problem is the amount of time that had elapsed since Chapter 1 came out. People can lose interest and not remember where the story left off. Episodic game makers should take a note from Star Wars and include a brief summary of previous events.

They put slightly more effort into writing it. There was some semblance of the beginning of a story.

A star fell from the sky.
'Because it's important' justification x100.

They had absolutely no idea where they were going with it. You could literally do a short list of unresolved plot points and finish the thing in Chapter 2.

Find little sister.
Rematch slime monster.
Find star.
Message about mysteriousness of nature and preserve the environment.
Raelin is a true Knight.
Harem end.

>Dodger
What are some other (relatively) big people who review or do walkthroughs on VNs? This information is important.

Lost Pause

Research this shit yourself like everyone else you lazy fuck.

There's always the chance I've missed someone.