/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Comfy Sunday Edition.

>Demo Day (Ten)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd (embed)

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-SurfaceShaderTessellation.html
pastefile.com/C647VC
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(mathematics)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(physics)
youtube.com/watch?v=TrezFjGF-Kg
soundcloud.com/prutte-1/pantsu-harvest-hub
daverix.net/projects/pong/
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9
clyp.it/4fqeyrso
youtube.com/watch?v=vpLLKvDAXNI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This written in C++/SDL and uses networking and shit.
Should I kill myself?

repoasting in new thread, I was asking about how to do hitboxes for tetris, in monogame, user suggested to make a grid instead.

And how would I do that in monogame? I'm pretty fresh off the boat. Since it's 2d, would I just use an array for the x and y co-ordinates, check to make sure the current block won't occupy a space with a 1, and step down? And if it would occupy a space with a 1, lock the block, and move onto the next block?

no plz carry on

r u srsly

That doesn't sound like a Monogame-specific problem. You could do what you said, and the challenge for you is going to be how you're going to store the block data so you can deal with multiple blocks and also rotate.

This is an exclusive secret non-mainstream thread. Post secrets here. Don't forget to sage.

No don't worry user. We're generally considered engine devs. This isn't a friendly place for us. There's tons of people who think they're hot shit for really basic stuff.

And really it's not hard to make games that beat out /agdg/ if you try.

>make stupid long post and post it in the dying thread.
Painful.

/O2 btw.
And there's tons of variability in malloc performance. So that's bad.
Yes.
But you should probably read this:
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-SurfaceShaderTessellation.html
Pretty sure these examples are free for you to use aswell

Mkay.
Anyway, I finished physics. The entire thing sends a whole game state in a single packet to the other client which is EXTREMELY hackable, but oh well.
Next up is perfect physics.

>The entire thing sends a whole game state in a single packet to the other client which is EXTREMELY hackable, but oh well.
You don't have to care about that yet but really security can only be handled on the server side by verifying the player interactions. So for instance when the client player moves the paddle you send 'I'm moving the paddle' to the server, the server then checks if it's a valid move or not, throws it away if it isn't and there, now the client can't move the paddle however they want. And you always trust the server.

Of course in a 2 player P2P game it's kinda pointless because both aren't really trustworthy.

Perfect physics seems nice.

It's P2P, yeah.

Perfect physics...
I tried Box2D, the result was unplayable.

Not worth it for pong. It's not really a physics game. You have to remember that the paddles aren't supposed to reflect the ball. They're supposed to multiply the velocity magnitude and change the direction based on where it hits the paddle. It's something that you forget after having played pong a lot.

Right so, reflect basically, without loss of momentum. It is very much a physics game in my opinion.

Anyway, here's the demo
pastefile.com/C647VC

>reflect basically
Well if your paddle is a very specific shape yes.
But no. Not at all otherwise.

See pic

It reflects and the paddle gives the ball some of it's momentum if it has any.

Actually did this wong. The angle of the leftmost and rightmost rays should have the same angle except added 90 degrees
What do you think reflection is user?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(mathematics)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(physics)

I don't get what your point is. Did you play the demo?

Rocket Qutie release when?

I see the confusion.
You can make your pong any way you want. But the original wasn't like that.
youtube.com/watch?v=TrezFjGF-Kg
All I'm saying is that if you want to clone pong you're not doing that if you can call it 'reflection'.
I played the demo. That's literally (maybe imperfect) reflection. Which makes for an incredibly boring pong.

Also i see that your problem seem to be that you didn't make the player paddle a kinetic body if this was box2d. Probably should be.

Feedback? Got any? Thanks.

soundcloud.com/prutte-1/pantsu-harvest-hub

No, that was not my problem, please check on an update on what you're talking about.

As far as I can see the ball is reflected with some of the paddle's vertical velocity. Either way what you are saying so far changes nothing in the way it is implemented. Please be more specific.

>please check on an update on what you're talking about.
I don't understand these words in this context.
I have reasons to think that. But whatever.
>ball is reflected with some of the paddle's vertical velocity.
The second ball hit in the intro segment of the video is a clear example. He's moving downwards. If your hypothesis is correct the paddle should give the ball momentum so it's gonna take the slower path (more up down) towards the other side of the field. But you can see that it's moving almost straight forward just before there's a cut. That's the opposite of what you predict.

But it acts according to what I presented in my image. The closer the ball hits the center of the paddel the less of an angle it gets (it's closer to 0/180 degrees). The closer to the edge the ball hits the greater the angle is (closer to 270/90 degrees).
Here's a pong game.
daverix.net/projects/pong/
You can test this simply by letting the ball hit the back end of the paddle and having your paddle stand still. See pic.
I've made pong mate. I know this stuff.

What's the project you are waiting for the most?

My own
;_;

wow, little girl pedophile simulator

>73 entries
>65 games

bump

>Demo Day (Ten)
>itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

this thread has the wrong links faggot

gamemaker users please help

draw_sprite_ext(spr_sword,0,x+20,y,1,1,270,image_blend,1);
if(collisionrect1){
with(obj_punchbag){
x+=30;
}
}

i want this code to just work with the punchbagobject that is beign attacked, but it instead makes al the punchbagobjects move

Fuck the links, this thread is dead, moron.

Use a collision function that returns the idea of whatever it finds (if it finds something). Most of them do, check the manual.
So:

my_target = collision_rectangle(whatever_parameters);
if instance_exists(my_target)
{
my_target.x += 30;
}

i dont quite understand what you did but it works, thank you

Basically, if you check an area for an object, most of GM's collision functions can find the object's unique ID. It is a variable you can access (also visible on mouseover in the room editor) and it looks like "100768" or something like that. That's what lets you tell multiple copies of an object apart in the game room.

The collision function returns that ID (basically it gives the ID as a result of its calculations, as if to say "here's what I found!"). In most programming language, you can do:
variable = my_function(parameters)
And variable will be set to what your function has returned.

So I'm setting my_target to whatever I find using my function's collision box. If there's an object there, it will return the object's unique ID. If there's nothing, it'll return a negative value (-1 or -4, I forgot).

Then I use instance_exist to see if I did, in fact, get an object that exists in the game room, and not a "nothing" negative value. If yes, I tell the object with that specific ID to move 30 pixels to the right. I could have used 100768.x += 30 if I was 100% sure it was the object's exact ID.

does anyone else prefer GM8 to GM:S?

I like GM8's color scheme better (black and green and grey is fucking stupid), and it has some functions like execute_string that are vital for one of my old projects, so I haven't ported all my games to GMS.

Also, Studio requires more clicks to load a project. But otherwise it's a bit better, I especially like the improved room editor and the ability to name code snippets with a ///comment at the beginning.

Great Stuff, thank you again i am still learning but i want to post my game soon

That phenomenon does indeed occur under the terms of my implemented solution.

Always good to hear your stuff, user. I would say that the oboe sound you are starting out with sounds a bit average. Using a cleaner, better quality instrument there could give you a more professional sound overall.

I think you're just bad at it.

This thread does not have a link to DD9 games.

Make a new one.

Space game inspiration!

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

TRUE NEW FUCK THIS OP. DD9 JUST HAPPENED GIVE IT TIME

This is you. This is ALL you've EVER done! Hahahahahahahahahahaha. How's it feel, shitfam?

holy shit would you retards stop making a million threads

>demo day 10 is in 2 months

How will I finish in time?

is the performance gained really worth it, why do i have to type this every time i want to use containers

Well fuck quit making botched OP's and linking to the wrong demo-day then you fucking nodevs.

Ugh. Why do people make garbage like this?

Just like make progress.

bro i made some really good concepts

wrote a song for my game

except I'm not going to use it

what a waste of time

clyp.it/4fqeyrso

Someone explain this meme to me

What the fuck is this trash?

Do you have an estimate for Miyo from Zero Quest? I want that slut lewdified more than any other in here

Very japanese
You'll use it someday. It's pretty good.

What software can I use to write my own tunes for vidya?

No one cares about you or your first year "design advice" from Full Sail, shitfam. And stop trying to ruin the fucking OP!

oh zero quest was fun. I wanted to put her in a picture along with jelly but I'm going to ask jellydev first about that

Sunvox

it comes with Source SDK

As long as you make lewds of her I'm fine with whatever

You're doing God's work

Implemented character status effects (basically stat alteration over time - so poison, heal, also instant damage (where the duration is just 0))

In the webm it's just a bunch of interactable testobjects but basically the cubes do alteration over time and the spheres instant. Of course the instigator of that alteration can be anything.

Gonna use the same concept on character attributes tomorrow (which basically could be implemented with the same blueprints, but I wanna keep it a little organized, instead of generic - also it's a tiny bit different, since attribute alteration can also come frome equipment).

Were you the guy asking for status effects earlier today? I'm sorry for giving that enraged autistic response, I was having a bad day.

Ha ha, oh man. That's not even the worst of it!

>want someone to draw lewds of my game
>has no female characters
inb4 that's fine

How do open world games actually work. Like what would I need to code to make an open world possible?

>you will never know why that one user thinks your MC looks terrible

made this for you user...

Yes

It's okay user. I still love you.

the world is split up into chunks, and as you get near the border of one, the next starts to load

if you ever played classic runescape, it should be a good example

What game?

me too plz

whatsgoinon?

This is just sad. Who would make it and think showing it off is a good idea?

It's a series of smaller areas with low poly shit versions loaded in at the distance As you approach an area it is loaded in.

Most game engines should have support for this out of the box. The difficult part is making all that content as a 1ma

Here's an idea for anyone.
Extreme skydiving. Start from the ISS and fall to Earth.

thanks, yeah I particularly like the last part but the instrumentation doesn't fit my game at all

the music should be shittier sounding, with like kirby or wagyan land samples. I just got carried away

Whatever hood rat made this needs to go and stay go.

>Felix Baumgartner simulator

There was once this guy who shitposted about using source as his engine, then people started counter-shitposting him and the rest is history.

>tfw you finally discover the power of non-OOP design patterns

I've never been so productive before. Everything is so much easier and faster to implement. I spend so much less time trying to get the code to work how I want and so much more time just like making game.

Does the player's position need to be normalized as new areas are loaded? Like, don't errors start to happen if the player's X and Y positions are really really big? Minecraft had issues with that, I think.

>mfw we get sourcefam to post his """""""""""work"""""""""" again as if we're not just gonna shit on it

He falls for it every time! Hahahahahahahahahaha. :)

can we get this faggot banned?

>Start from the ISS and fall to Earth.
You need rocket boosters to manage that. Step out from the ISS and you'll still be in orbit.

OOP was always snake oil, all you need is C

a 64-bit int stores up to 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 numbers, you'll probably be fine

Some engines have support for world origin shifting but it's unlikely you'll make a world big enough for it to matter. UE4 has max map size of 20km^2 without the origin shifting

Yeah, the first portion of the drop is stopping your orbit.

>clyp.it/4fqeyrso
TEACH ME

what hte fucc is this

no but if you drift away from the station you wont stay up there with nothing holding you up

Were you perhaps inspired by this: youtube.com/watch?v=vpLLKvDAXNI ?

Why aren't more people mad at this? We have to get this trash OUT of /agdg/. We got this meme engine banned from 420 and 8c and NeoGaf, we can get it banned here too!

There's a reason that languages which lean very heavily on OOP patterns are often mocked for their verbosity. It takes a lot of code to make simple things happen in C# and Java.

I can mix potions now. I still have to add it so they explode if you try to mix the wrong thing.