/domg/ - Dominions General

Wu Tang Edition

Previous Pankoman: Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/dHdZ1cch

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Work on the Wiki!

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=StarryNight
dropbox.com/s/ib0hw1mroxj1rru/Seaside_Starry_Valley_v1.zip?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B51DS6LWagFTenJlSzdsSW9pd28/
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya/discussions/0/358416640392212422/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for remember to do your turns.

Second for letting Ermor win.

Third for Around Bats Relax

fourth for Dominions illuminati

Fifth for removing elves.

Real hip hop
don't stop.

Official removal order:

1) Cancer nations
>ex: MA Ermor, MA Asphodel, LA Lemuria, LA R'lyeh
2) Nations with strong Blood access/nationals
>ex: EA/LA Xibalba, EA Lanka, EA/LA Mictlan
3) Nations with strong flying options
>ex: Caelum, Xibalba, Ragha, Nazca
4) Elven nations
>ex: Vanheim, Helheim, Tir Na n'Og
5) Everything else

>tfw none of my preferred nations are in points 1-4
>play based on lore I like and try to get around its weaknesses rather than choose OP nation

Feels hipsterish man.

No, Fomoria, you're a honorary member of tier 2.

Fomoria is elves

>removing vikings
Van/Helheim are among the coolest nations, it's just that 75% of the time they're played by the biggest rushing shitters. Is it the sneak portion of elfu that attracts assholes?

Not sure why they'd ever Helmheim, but Vanhere rushing is pretty horrifying.

Is the new Natgen actually happening or is it just b8, because I found some pretty cool nations, including one with recruitable flying blood assasins.

>Flying blood assassins
What's the seed for that one?

Helheim are cool. Summod actually makes them not complete garbage, as well.

Wait, how do natgen games work these days? Do we submit our own nations?

Helheim in summod is actually a lot of fun. You're fielding an army of living and dead elves, with sidhe necromancers and warriors raiding enemy provinces. Your living troops are always outnumbered, but they're easily bolstered by the dead. It's some of the most rp fun I've had in dominions in a long time.

>Helheim
>Sidhe

You wot m8

I'm using sidhe as a stand-in for elves generally.

Basically, I think they play like the winter court from dresden.

They're Vanir, just like Vanheim.

Seed:195936961 Integer: 8

IT DEPENDS
on the organizer.

so ded

Post memes to keep Ermor from taking over the thread.

Lucas promised natgen a while ago and it's supposed to be nearly finished but current one is still alive so that might be demotivating him.

The new values MIGHT have killed it, and the last natgen being BOREDOM CENTRAL might have killed it.

What made it so boring?

I've done some Gens myself, even on batshit insane there isn't much new.

Could it be improved with some kind of draft?

>Pool of 10 generated nations
>Players only given basic descriptions
>Players pick in order

the problem is nations are boring, they aren't as crazy as they were a few versions ago.

New EA game, map is Seaside_Starry_Valley_v1, mod is worthy heroes 1.23.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=StarryNight

Link to map: dropbox.com/s/ib0hw1mroxj1rru/Seaside_Starry_Valley_v1.zip?dl=0

Who are you on steam btw?

filename

Sid, mate

I hope these rapping fools be ready to get memed on.

Are you in the /v/anheim group? I like adding admins just in case I need to request an extension or something.

Yes but I prefer if you do it via /domg/

You can make them very crazy if you know how to fuck with the settings right, or just generate hundreds of nations and pick out the 10 craziest ones.

rip pc?

It breaks if you try to generate more than 50 or so at once.

desu I don't even know how

Open up the file in the in-game map editor and right click the connections. This makes them change color. Reddish = heat, bluish = cold, greyish = no connection, only matters for ritual magic like teleportation

I'll look into it tomorrow senpai, got to sleep before work now

I can do it if you want, beloved.

Okay

Jesus fuck what are these connections

I want to make a lore intensive mod based around the homebrew RPG setting I've been working on for a few years. If I actually go through with this, would /domg/ be interested in running an RP game using the mod?

Ok, so I made it so that all the mountains at the north still have heat connections to each other, so if you want to traverse the very northern edge you'll still need the right temp or mountain survival, but all of them have neutral temp connections to the border provinces to their south

This map has a frankly insane number of temp connections, though.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B51DS6LWagFTenJlSzdsSW9pd28/

Thank you, kind user.

Depends on the overall quality and balance but generally yes.

Good lad, game edited to have the map working too.

desu, I'm not convinced that this is a good map just on account of how many of these temp connections there are. Flying nations will have an even larger than normal advantage navigating certain sections of the map unless nations happen to have the right temp for where they are.

For instance, in the southern river region, flying raiders can hit over and across a river, and unless it's frozen over, land nations can't even reasonably recapture their provinces without having a much larger number of groups deployed to take them. Temp-locked nations will have very limited expansion options, especially since it's summer early on, whereas amphibious and flying nations won't.

This is turning out to be a very complicated turn and I won't have convenient internet access again until about this time tomorrow. Could I get an 8 hour extension? I could make do without but it would make things harder.

Sorry for dragging this game out longer you guys.

I'll add 12 just to be safe.

Well I've had a look at it and imo it should be okay because there are bridges across the rivers at various points. Fliers may have an advantage in summer but its not like it will be impossible to cross over rivers entirely.

Scales determine which terrain is passable past the early game. It's nation dependent moreso than season dependent. Niefelheim will be fine past the first summer, for instance, but depending on its starts it may have choked off expansion. Abysia, on the other hand, can be fucked.

The earliest part of the game (3 turns during the prime of expansion phase) will be summer. So yeah, it's a big deal for non-amphibious, non-flying nations.

The map isn't unplayable (I haven't looked at starts yet), but it's entirely plausible that a nation will have very few available paths to expand and it's also possible that nations will be gimped when fighting over different areas of the map.

I'm not in your game, but those are my 2c on the map itself.

Let me know if he's the badmin.

Thank you very much.

Post your biggest losses to keep us from losing the thread.

Why doesn't NationGen generate your restricted race first AND then try to fill in the blanks? The current method is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Go talk to Elmokki/Eal

I would but I accidentally all my screenshots when moving to another PC
Although it wasn't really that much, just a bunch of sacreds with no mage support trying to storm a castle with skellyspammers inside

has quadbless mictlan EVER worked?

No. Tribless Mictlan has almost worked, though it's essentially a strat that relies entirely on steamrolling another empire before they can get going so that you don't just wither away into nothing.

Also not being fucked by the RNG, but that's not something that can be helped.

pls don't be ded

Hah! No. Quadbless is a meme strat. People think this is because the lack of scales fucks you, but you have acceptable ways of dealing with that. What really fucks you is the lack of candles.

does anyone else really like communions but fucking HATE having to manually arrange all the casters so they don't get insta nuked by a single AoE spell?

Try making a quadbless chassis.

Turns out you can only recruit a few jags each turn. Scales are manageable with some trickery (Mictlan is very good at generating candles when they need them so as not to die of domkill, which allows them to let black candles spread over most of their territory for most likely neutral effects) but your actual combat potency will be pretty much nil because you can only recruit one or two jags a turn due to low dominion score.

Any strategy that requires scripting more than a handful of mages is a fucking chore.

If you have a lot of mages doing the same thing you can just copy paste their orders.

You can't copy paste giving them gems. You can't copy paste 'conserve gem usage', which should really be the default, and you can't copy paste moving them around so they don't have high HP density, and don't all get blapped by one magma eruption.

This has not been a good game for me. At least I got to learn some stuff. I don't think I'll be touching EA C'tis again until summod buffs the shit out of them though.

>what is missile protection

GIRUGAMESH was leading a last ditch effort against Pan when this happened, there was no time for items. And before this about a dozen reborns and sauromancers had survived these things with minor wounds.

Holy shit I didn't know that could happen. I was just trying to get skelespammers out of the way.

Then again, I said the same thing when I seduced your Bane Lord. We have some strange luck

>Attacking into enemy dom with a pretender that has 12 base hp.
I don't know user. I just don't know.

2 more new folks needed for the new folks summod game
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya/discussions/0/358416640392212422/

I'll join as Berytos. I feel like I know what I'm doing now.

>

XIUCOATL CASTS ENLARGE

why are we so dead

Because you didn't remove Ermor.

Week started.

Everyone at work.

>Berytos
I guess that nixes the R'lyeh Coastal Resort & Spa then.

>work

What kind of normies do you take us for?

Is there any way to improve the chance of a successful infiltration with a Spy unit?

I just want to look at people's charts, but my spies fail to infiltrate almost all the time.

>You can't shift click gems to transfer more than one gem to commanders at a time

I'd be willing to share some coast around provided that you leave my stuff alone.

I think that ethereal items help with sneaking if you're willing to invest in that but I don't know. I never bother with spying.

Jesus was right.

I'd like that a lot.

When the game starts, let's hash out some terms. I'd be up for doing it now but you never know how shark tritons and throne placement might change things.

gods almighty