/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158815.50
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Dwarven historical figures that have been assigned various artisan professions now have a chance to enter a mood and produce an artifact. It's more abstract than the standard in-play fortress process, but it uses about the same variety of materials (it doesn't do furniture yet). Next up we'll add a few more classes of items (weapons/armor named by heroes, holy relics), and then we'll make claims on artifacts and make the movement of artifacts in world generation more interesting to set the stage for in-play additions.

2nd for elves

Third for modfags need to go and stay gone

4th for forum talking about rape

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158815.50

You need to settle the fuck down.

I think some work should be done regarding conflict/hatred.

The fact people are asking for smexy time in general. Just build forts and kill crundles..what more could you need.

This angers the overseer.

Given how stilted even the most fully-formed dialogue in the game will be I don't see how anyone could actually want that stuff out of DF.

>Just now I thrusted my veiny stubby penis into your moist hairy vagina!
>Not two minutes ago I thrusted my veiny stubby penis into your moist hairy vagina!

Makes a great response when she's splitting up with you

Do you think when/if the whole dialogue stuff gets rehauled there will be an extra part for seduction?How would it work?
Can it be made?

dropping him from a suitable height (aka surface to third cavern layer) should free the adamantine from his finger

Does anyone know if wielding two weapons or a weapon and shield in the same hand gives a penalty to combat rolls?

It won't. There's a bug that causes thread used for sutures to be unrecoverable. So it would just deprive me of a skilled soldier.

How do i make a stockpile for just animal corpses? When I give the butcher dead animal job the game always says none in range, after my dwarves just killed several animals on the surface.

make a costum stockpile

jesus christ, ekaton is single-handedly wrecking all fags that are against including rape in the game, what a hero

Seduction could work insofar as manipulating people towards a specific end, like convincing someone that a random murder was justified so a civ stops hating you or whatever, but there's no real purpose for actual "sex" as a reward for that unless people are really weirdly into roleplaying in adventure mode and even then Toady would literally never implement it.

You can make DF fairly kinky as is, like I think you can make it so either one sex or one caste (That can have a given sex) is merely a tame pet that can be dragged around, milked, and bred without marriage.

Wanting children is a legitimate goal in DF, to the extent that its codified into the game as your adventurer's life goal.

What, exactly, is the result of achieving your life goal, anyway? Temporary happiness boost?

According to the wiki, a need for family and friends is unimplemented.

Is this truly unimplemented, or just that adventurers will rarely have family or friends?

That random dragon guy is the biggest fag this side of fagtown. I remember him from the discussion thread about moving to 64-bit; there were 10 intelligent people discussing compiler minutiae and walking Toady through the process, and him in the corner shitposting about 'derp' and firing non-sequiturs in every direction. What a waste of space.

tragically underrated post

shit, not that one, this one sleeping need badly unfulfilled, user is unfocused

He shits up the C:DDA boards too.

>C:DDA
Man, now there's a boring game.

>he says in the general of a reading simulator

Is putting leather armour on other a mail shirt a worthwhile investment, or should I just wait until I find a breastplate and have the armour user skill to wear that over mail without slowing down too much.

If your dwarves will be seeing action before you put them in breasplates then there's no reason not to.

I'm in adventure mode right now.

I had the thought the different material of the leather would help counter certain attacks (the way robes do) while keeping the armour of the metal mail at the same time.

I enjoy building weirdly suspended structures where each level doesn't seem to have support by using the way a fortification still acts as a horizontal +/- 1-z support despite the lack of a floor on top.

Takes a while to build them though since you gotta go up and down the different levels in order to get them hanging right, and man... when you're trying to lurk in the caverns to avoid random ambush interruptions while still building stuff up near the surface you really fucking miss the hotkeys functionality from fort mode.

Truly underrated post.

It's a need which can't be met without adventurer breeding/romance and such being fleshed out more, friendship is a pain because you have to have a pre-existing friendship basically at the moment, since no matter how amazed people are at your feats and stuff, or how fun they think you are to talk to, the move to friend status is based on fort timescales, not adventure mode ones.

Leather armor will help more than clothing (though silk has good cutting resistance values, I think there's a combo of shear yield/fracture yield/flexibility that works out as a sweet spot right now) and with armor damage if you CAN wear more armor, go for it, get the crappy stuff torn up soaking the energy from attacks, ablative armor for the win!

>Game where people send women into combat with their babies strapped on them as meatshields
>Rape is worse

I don't understand the point this guy is trying to make. I can't imagine any child playing Dwarf Fortress past two minutes of embark anyway.

I think it might be good for low level characters, a mail shirt and leather armour combo. Because if your armour wearing skill is too low, a breastplate and mail shirt would make you a sitting duck to any attack by slowing you down too much.

>Kid feeling guilty for watching shit they think is mature

Yeah, sometimes when I'm hauling furniture and lumber around while all modded to the gills I wind up in a situation where it's actually worth it to sit and wrestle random criminals or animals to cap out armor user just so I can get the extra bit of loot, though I'm wearing really heavy fucking armor (26 urist helm, 41 urist hauberk [mail shirt renamed], 92 urist upper greaves [since greaves technically went thigh to shin generally]) as a result of changing things to get the armor coverage/layering tweaked, and the ridiculous density of this dragon bone shit. I know historical armor wasn't hundreds and hundreds of pounds of shit, but a full steel plate and mail set in vanilla is what~50 urists?

Rape is just boring compared to that, though. I'd rather have more discussions on the ethical ramifications of mermaid farming than argue about smiley faces fucking each other.

Plus, night creatures are rape, torture, and mutilation all in one awful package!

>See Urist, the depravity was inside you all along, and in that little boy, the goat... that can of Crisco... ok wtf man?

>Yes, the game allows killing, which is very arguably worse than rape. We watch dwarves, even infant dwarves, die horrible deaths. We can even deliberately engineer elaborate deathtraps that consume every living being in the fort. So why do I fight against rape? Because, in the real world, no one is claiming that killing your fellow citizens is an okay thing to do. If you are observed giggling at the sight of someone falling into a wood chipper, you get sent off for mental evaluation. And when's the last time you heard about someone trying to fill a building with magma? But rape is different; in the real world, rape is common, rape is still viewed as being "reasonable", and rape is still largely accepted. Somebody collapsing a mountain onto a city is not a thing that can happen--it is not a threat, so it doesn't matter if we encourage it. But rape IS a thing that happens--it IS a threat, so it DOES matter. That's why rape is a special case.

Christ almighty.

I mean, if I retire an adventurer and get him hitched and make some friends etc., surely he can satisfy those needs, right?

what needs to happen is the night creature spouse interaction being something that can happen to or by an adventurer

I know some tried to science that but I haven't seen the results on it yet, I know with dfhack I can do all the shit needed to link up marriage, parental, friend, follower, worshipper, and so forth type relationships... but I can also run a script and fill all my needs, so I would be doing the relationship experiments to see how they work, not as a viable way to get that need met.

The easiest way to do //that// is to set friendship/family to neutral or negative and not mess with them yet.

Yeah, it is odd that it's a generated interaction with no options to use or experience except after the fact.

I'm not sure if they abduct people after world-gen ends though, I assume no.

No, leather armor covers the same parts breastplates do. The only thing cloaks and robes cover that aren't covered by proper armor are facial features. Which, amusingly, are also not covered by masks or veils.

I can't wait for Toady to polish up the night hags. It doesn't have to include onscreen sex if he doesn't feel like it, I just want to be beaten unconscious, carried to a cave, and locked in a cage for six months.

I'm coming back to DF after a few years, is there a good updated mod for just added content? Mostly creatures if possible.

>I'm not sure if they abduct people after world-gen ends though, I assume no.

I can't really tell. I do see them absolutely crawling around in cities like ants, presumably looking for the last pure blooded humans left alive in the entire world to rape.

Hm, but I do know you can find night creature spouses before they're transformed, but that they won't follow you.

Rape is accepted? Where? Aside from subsaharan Africa.

I laugh heartily when my fortress guard beats the crap out of a dwarf guilty of some pathetically minor crime 2bf

>It doesn't have to include onscreen sex if he doesn't feel like it, I just want to be beaten unconscious, carried to a cave, and locked in a cage for six months.

I want it specifically for the fact that its an interaction that can change your entire body type.

Beast attacks don't happen after worldgen, so my guess would be that night troll attacks don't either. They're likely to be the same class of event.

America? Rape is viewed as a legitimate punishment to enforce social norms, men are raped for performing crimes, women are raped for being promiscuous or the crime of having a drink.

Well, beast attacks only hit your forts, though night creatures and bogeymen are pretty foreign to a fort-only player huh?

>night creatures and bogeymen are pretty foreign to a fort-only player huh?
Night trolls and bogeys are the only night creatures that don't attack player forts. Vamps, werebeasts, necros, zombies, husks, skeletons are all night creatures.

Bad bait.

Well, "normal" night troll attacks most certainly do, as in them wandering around murdering NPCs.

why don't my damn doods build tables? keeps saying it needs furniture hauling? i have that enabled on their labors. wat do?

Yeah, as do wildlife and such attacks, but you never walk in on a dragon ransacking a hamlet or anything, and you don't catch night creatures hauling people out of houses at night back to their lair.

>Fortress Defense gets sprites for the creatures.

>They're really fucking shitty

This is why ASCII is best.

what are they doing? do you have idle dwarves available for the job?

have you double checked that both the physical tables and the location you want them placed are accessible?

You do catch night creatures strangling people, though...

Hell, I've been sent to ask one for directions, found the damn thing beating someone with a shoe, and to top it off the fucker's tongue was gone!

>but you never walk in on a dragon ransacking a hamlet or anything
Christ I wish this were in the game right now. I want to wander into some village and watch the populace fleeing from huge gouts of dragonfire while a handful of guards ineffectually attempt to take it down.

It's a funny side effect of making them intelligent with the [POWER] tag, they take over sites like demons do, but dragon spheres overlap with humans and dorfs so if they make hamlets/towns, well, that's how I get dragon's posing as gods burning people to death when I walk in the door.

See what I like is the idea of making them a skulking, item thief civ and replace the old megabeasts with something like feel no pain magma elementals in the shape of a dragon and liquid gold blood.

The civ dragons could have precious metal tummy armor like Smaug.

They would show up for tribute as item thieves, and if interrupted would breathe fire everywhere. Or you could leave out treasure for them to take, but they would get emboldened.

Adventure mode as it is seems so shallow and I hate it. I keep going in expecting more than there is because of how complex Dorf Fort is.

Do you always get caverns, regardless of embark size?

I'd like to do a smaller embark but I don't want to miss out on caverns.

Wait for magic. Until then play other roguelikes.

No I mean in terms of NPC interactions. No festivals, very few wars, you can't fight in huge battles, you can't start a family, can't burn crops and have it mean something, can't join the criminal underground and deal drugs or pull of heists, ect ect.

I view Adventurer Mode as simply a very nimble and precise appendage for Fortress Mode.

Can you interact with other dwarf civs?
Like trade/war with other dwarves?

Yes. Caverns can be disabled in worldgen settings, but if your world has them at all, they cover all of it.

Oh well I guess we have different desires then. I want muh fully fleshed out world with tons of NPC interactions.

Absolutely everyone wants everything to be better.

Well I dunno about everything. I just want NPC stuff. I don't care much about artefacts, squad legends, boats, multitile creatures, ect.

Festivals will get worked in bit by bit I imagine, wars happen but they're weird, the family thing will be cool once it's in, it's possible but you gotta have dfhack updated atm, and the adventurer campsite update opens up a lot of future doors for stuff like razing sites, helping rebuild them, sabotage, and so forth.

The heists will be in partially with the artifact stuff actually, it's a specific thing he wants, to be able for a group to hire you to go and "recover" an artifact, whether they owned it in the first place or not.

not without modding

When making a military is it acceptable to just take peasant migrants who can't do anything and train them up or do you really need to have experienced dwarves?

Artefact thing seems cool. I wish the group would lend you some dudes to help with the mission, but I suppose my own companions would work too.

I expect a range of quests to come out of it, as is when he brought back the hearthperson quests he added in the specific fame types for bandit slaying, hunting beasts, general heroism, plus prolific slaughter, as well as the entertainment types.

I could see "treasure hunter/legendary thief/righteous servant of [some deity]/made man/collector of [rare weapons/magical items/books/knowledge/types of art/etc]" sort of stuff come in as a result of the artifact arc and the recovery quests alone.

Ooooh that seems neat. Well its something to look forward too I guess.

Either is fine. Best practices are to screen dwarves for bravery, stress tolerance and high physical attributes. But even if you don't they'll get swole in short order from military training, and high discipline can make up for squeamishness or cowardice. The higher the combat skills you seed your military with, the faster their training will progress, but even completely green recruits can be whipped into a strong fighting force before you'll ever need one.

What am I doing wrong? I'm out in the wilderness, I cut down a tree, I have companions... How do I actually build a site?

Is that what the screen looks like when you pull it up?

You don't have any of the screen visible to work on? Generally you have to see a part of the map to build there, but once you start building you remember what you've seen so you can reveal all your work site by moving around a bit.

Started up a new fort to test some stuff out and goddamn:
>Dying civ
>Goblins at war
>Elves at war
>Tower
>Deep metals and Flux
>Soil
>Temperate Forest
>River splitting a mountain
Might be a bit fun

Nope, I just have black on the side. I am using a tileset, maybe I need to update it for the newest version?

Why are people saying that dwarven daycare needs to periodically burn the fat off its charges? I thought fat was like a sort of defense.

Tell me the secret to digging out adimantium spires, semfam.

Fat burns. Therefore, logically, if there is no fat, the dwarf cannot burn. Flawless.

Can ballista shoot through fortifications if they are right next to them?

Do beds need cloth or wool?

What are the best subterranean creatures to domesticate?

What were coins used for? Sort of sad they're gone :(

What you really want to avoid are:

1. Small size. This is the absolute worst element.
2. Abysmal recuperation. This affects not just wound healing but also the time it takes to stop bleeding when hit, though this is easier to deal with than small size.
3. Really bad personality aptitudes.This is easier to deal with, but still bad.

>What were coins used for?
They were used for training dwarves to dodge.

Basically, you made a hallway, at one end were dwarves, at the other, a drawbridge covered in coins. You raised the drawbridge, the coins went flying at the dwarves, who would either dodge the coins and gain a massive boost to dodging skill, or get hit and suffer no damage.

Coins = Worhtless
Bllista = worthless
Beds = worthless
Subterranean creatures = worthless

You're looking at TRULY old, obsolete ideas of dwarven daycare or childcare or whatever. The new stuff avoids retarded shit like that.

It used to be skin and fat had pain receptors but that's it and therefore skinless, fatless dwarves didn't suffer pain anymore and were fireproof.

None of that is the case anymore.

Beds need wood. Coins were used for the dwarven economy, good idea, flawed in execution.

>beds=worthless
wut

There absolutely freaking worthless and you should feel bad for using wood to make those horrid things.

What methods replaced the dwarven daycare to produced super soldiers?

Really wish beds were able to be made out of anything for the frame and had sheets and pillows made of cloth or silk.

When choosing between wearing just a helmet or just a breastplate should you choose the helmet provided you also have a shield? Thats what the wiki says.

The "dwarven daycare" that used retarded shit like lava or dogs never actually worked, ever.

The tl;dr is give kids gloves, boots, and cloaks (and whatever else you need for full coverage but I don't remember), and set up an area with 4/7 water to both sides and a wooden spear training room.

They will get to legendary in everything real fast, and they tend to become fucking HUGE, well bigger than grown adult men, even as children.

Shame, I liked the idea of having skinless, traumatized dwarves as a sort of honor guard.