/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Play Demo Day 9 games!

> Current Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

suggestionox.com/r/hsQoL8
youtube.com/watch?v=efSsILTqPo4
clyp.it/wm5da3a1
clyp.it/eq1epfj0
clyp.it/mvamiytg
pastefile.com/JgA9lN
clyp.it/wpt3tykt
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=722390586
godisacube.com/greenlight
superpowers-html5.com/index.en.html
itch.io/c/27733/games-made-with-superpowers
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for waifus

Second for get off of Veeky Forums and go work on your game you stinky nodev

low poly military waifus

I fixed the light bug, doesn't this look better?

Cube waifus

d-do you need sound or art...

your whole game looks like shit honestly

Those are great news. Would you mind posting a screenshot with the whole map unlocked? I want to check if I missed any room.

For the RoR with mechs dev:
I can''t tell if they are quite in scale with your sprites. I know the shading on the body is pretty bad.

Do these fit the aesthetic?
Can you post the image with all the sprites you've made so far?

How hard would it be to make an online competitive game as a one-man dev

>that guy that was making a soldier girl game for Waifu Jam
>disappeared halfway through
>tfw no cute WW1 soldier girl game ever
Fuck

Shots are too faded. looks like dustballs.

My personal choice would be to make them bright saturated colours and then adjust bloom threshold effects so bullets and afterburners end up blooming but normal ships don''t, makes shot appear more like glowing hot dangerous plasma.

Where is recap guy?

I could use concept art/drawings of battles for advertising

The hard part would probably be having enough concurrent players for it to be competitive

Those thick lightbeams need fixing and your sprites/models could use some detail

Your game looks great. Pic related is your game.

He died. RIP in piss__

kk, downloading now.

Also I'm this musicbro js-

Here's full map of demo.

There was another guy doing his job because the actual one is like dead, he is probably going to post soon.

Reposting.
I need ideas for my next idol(s) and new songs. I already have a couple of musicbros available but more options is always better.

What should my next idol look like?
suggestionox.com/r/hsQoL8

I like it, however it looks a little washed out or sun bleached

How hard is it to even set up the thing to get to that point

This is so fucking cool. What are you making this in?

You're asking how hard is it to make a game?

Make the next song this:
youtube.com/watch?v=efSsILTqPo4

I'm not good at drawing, so the sprites are going to have to stay for now. Are you talking about the trails behind the orange projectiles?
The gray shells are flak, so they're not the most dangerous weapons in the game, is better with the orange shells?

are you colour blind?

If that jellyfish had a nose it'd be bleeding right now.
>implying she didnt BRRRAPPPP instead

GM:S.

You don't even want to know how awful it was to write map system with it.

How hard it is to make a game with online features while being a one man dev

Looks awesome but that planet isn't a perfect circle which triggers my autism

>still no bunny

Dungeon Break dev here. How did you wind up doing your map system? Mine was easy because each map is a grid, but I'm curious how you handled a freeform map like that.

Guys, today is the day. I'm gonna launch my Greenlight campaign. For real.
It's time to see if there are enough people who care about nanomachines.

We will get the answer in a few hours.

No the projectiles themselves. They look like Cheetos in that webm

Hello, I'm writing Pong.

does anyone go to greenlight without being linked there? I sure as fuck don't. do you have any way to get people there to vote you up? other than spamming it here of course

Congrats user!

Good luck.

About 29 difficulty units.

You haven't even said if it's 2D/3D, what genre, what art style. And even with all that information an estimate is useless because it entirely depends on your ability.

aww shit

>game is like 360x240 at best
>image is 960x640

??

Why?

It's a work in progress nerd

Because they told me to write Pong as my first game.

If I haven't said what kind of game I'm making, that would mean I'm asking about general online features that could apply to any game, geez user it's not hard using insight

Wow where do I learn C++ and how long will it take me

I know, I'm just getting impatient because I've been looking forward to it from before DD9 even started.

Make your own game instead

Every time I make a song for my game it sounds wildly different to the last one.

clyp.it/wm5da3a1
clyp.it/eq1epfj0
clyp.it/mvamiytg

Is there any way to help make them all sound similar? I imagine making all the instruments be the same will help to a degree.

pastefile.com/JgA9lN

I have basically 2 map systems. The rooms are named like "rm_XX_YY" and XX and YY are coordinates and every time you leave the boundaries, you are moved in grid. Okay, if all rooms were same size, I could just do ds_grid that checks position from those coordinates, but as rooms are different sizes, this doesn't work.

So I created my own map editor which saves full map as grid and create temporary map which checks the values of full map's ds_grid (each grid has variable depending on which room image it should have, 0 being empty).

Then I have controller which checks player's position on map depending on from where he entered and size of the room and then add few values to the map position to correct the movement on minimap.

I can't really describe it any better.

Because online chess and WoW have the same netcode

step 1. you don't

Oh shit man, that sounds really similar to what I did.

So my dungeons are always 8x8, but rooms can be 1 or 2 rooms tall. So basically each cell is still it's own cell, but if a room is 2 cells tall, only one cell hold's the "room" data, and the other cell is assigned as a "subroom", and if the game tries to retrieve information about a subroom, its directed to the main "cell" of that room to get info.

It was a bitch and a half to get working, especially since I use a similar "if player is outside of room bounds, move him to the next cell over"

>C
>C++

how do I stop myself from getting constant boners while deving?

with cpp you can learn to be a code monkey

with c you can learn to be a programmer

Masturbate a lot.

fap until your dick stops working temporarily. takes about 6 hours of fapping for me.

remove the cute anime girl from your desktop and think about math

motifs and the same instruments, yeah

I really like your third song and I think you're in the right direction here. identify the hook and make a variation for the next one

otherwise try a 3/4 time signature, slightly slower tempo and more liberal use of reverb to achieve a more underwatery feel

clyp.it/wpt3tykt

You can change the screen scale from settings. The native resolution is 240x160. You can also stretch the window and set it as fullscreen and shit, but there won't be any mixels or rixels or whatever fuck.

Yeah it definitely isn't easy, especially when trying to calculate player's position and add values to map position, because GM:S count's X and Y from top left so I had to reverse the math behind position when player enters from "bottom" or/and "right" part of map.

At least it works.

Day 15, still no gameplay. At least it's getting kind of comfy...

I never noticed them as cheetos before.

I remember this song. I have both versions you sent saved still. I always thought it was nice.

Definitely need some ground shadows and crepuscular rays

and gameplay

Dude, I have the same goal in my mind now, what resources have you used? (What library, tutorial, etc.)

I don't think it fits your game anymore since it plays much faster and arcadey now, back then I thought it was a bit like ecco the dolphin or aquaria

I loved your demo by the way, and the new controls are much better

Here is the link:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=722390586
I think it will appear publicly in the "recent submissions" when Steam Guys will have checked it.

>do you have any way to get people there to vote you up? other than spamming it here of course
I made an OC for Aggy Daggy Also, I tried to carefully insert some chan culture into my game.

Generally, I intend to tell aggy daggy how things work for me, so people here will be able to avoid my mistakes / do things right.

Are there some other channels like Game Maker's Toolkit for devs?

Aaaah what instruments are you using here

How do you construct a song

All my shit sounds boring and awful god show me a tutorial or something please.

testing out new toys

so you intend to spam it here, generating ill will from the community, and hope someone notices it for the 5 seconds it's on the recent submissions on steam?

and you expect to get votes?

Do you credit stackoverflow and various online programming resources in the credits to your video game? If not for them, you would've never completed your game.

I thought Homph was recap guy?

I voted no thanks/not interested

You got a blog or something? Your game looks fucking sick.

Why don't you fix the real issues with your game first? You still haven't addressed the problem with the gameplay: keys, rows and whatnot.

Apparently GM does support sprite fonts, just not through the IDE.

Thanks! seems I did miss one room after all.

*~====Weekly Recap====~*
>>Recap Guy Is Dead Edition

Reply to this post with the format filled out below and join the weekly recap. Do not stray from the format below or else the scraper will probably miss your response. Try not to use things like additional line breaks or quotes.

A 1.5x1 .png file works best. A .webm will probably look awful since I just use the thumbnail for those.

====Recap Format====
Game Name:
Dev Name:
Tools Used:
Website(s):
Progress:
(+ For positive progress)
(- For negative progress)

did you ask me the same thing yesterday

I like to help but your question is vague and I can't really write you a tutorial. I also don't know any music tutorials that aren't just... books

collect samples, write a shitton of songs until it stops sounding bad. copy other songs. try to start chords first since it's easier

>so you intend to spam it here, generating ill will from the community, and hope someone notices it for the 5 seconds it's on the recent submissions on steam?
The question was "any to get people THERE". So I talked about how I intend to get people THERE.
I have of course a bigger advertising strategy, involving the community I built up during the last 18 months, professional contacts, site news ready to write things, niche subreddits, IRL communities caring about robots, etc.

So I'm completely new to GM and coding in general, and I might be overthinking this, but let's say I want to have stat types that are shared between every enemy and ally in the game (stuff like HP, Armor, Evade). Do I have to define all of those variables for each object or would I want to set up a script to define what each one is?

Or am I completely overthinking it and all I have to do is put in like "hp = 100;" into each character? If I use the same terms between them all, would the game know what I'm talking about when I'm trying to have an enemy attack someone?

dangerously cheesy

Awesomeee
How long have you been working on this? Why haven't I seen you here before the last couple days?

Yeah, when he dissapeared in April Sayaka took his place. There was recap last week but it was a little late, maybe today happens the same.

Game Name: God is a Cube
Dev Name: King Kadelfek
Tools Used: Unity 3D
Website(s): www.godisacube.com
Progress:
+ launching the Greenlight campaign godisacube.com/greenlight

I think the shader for the ground is broken, you can barely see shadows with dark textures.
There's a lot to do, i don't even need to think about gameplay right now.

What does /agdg/ thinks of Superpowers?

superpowers-html5.com/index.en.html

itch.io/c/27733/games-made-with-superpowers

Nevermind that's what I get for posting before reading all the new posts.

Make a script to initialize each type of enemy and then set the object to run said script on the create event.

So if you had a goblin, you'd have a "on_create_goblin" script and a "goblin" object. In the goblin object's create event, you'd execute the script. The script would define and initialize any variables like HP.

Whodev as fuck, but slick game nonetheless.

>think to myself "that reminds me of the C64"
>read the window title
You're cool in my book, user.

You're too new to be acting like you know what whodevs are. Stop trying so hard.

Also, you might want to be a little more generic and just use script_execute with arguments to execute a "on_create_enemy" type script. That'd prevent you from accidentally creating enemies missing required values.

Im a different person. I just wanna know your process, I know enough about music in theory to make songs but they don't sound as complete and varied as the one you posted. How do you decide what instruments to use? What did you make first? How do you know that the song should bring in another instrument at such and such a place. I find my issue is that the further I go into a song (Adding instruments, new patterns and so on) The more it begins to fall apart and sound wrong.

I wish there was some channel on Youtube that would explain this kind of thing more in the context of a DAC, all I get when i look up FL Studio related stuff is people making generic dance music and sound mixing rather than anything to do with the actual composition of a song.