/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

2 days to Space Jam.

> Demo Day (Nine) is Over. Play some games and leave some feedback.
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC (embed)

>Next Demo Day - Demo Day 10
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9JJIkIRQ7uw&list=PLQOFZ7Uvt6Wx9OGfxMSRadAYIoVZNLytb&index=4
youtube.com/watch?v=NTHNrD_5ivM
discord.gg/Wvm2T
youtube.com/watch?v=216_5nu4aVQ
pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC
pastebin.com/TUWT7qRS
pastebin.com/Rjs0iLke
youtube.com/watch?v=Ln0AAy9OmMU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

cross posting

paddleshape isn't a thing appearently, paddle.get only shows .gethash and .gettype

So, how do I assign it to the paddle object I made in Game1.cs?

How do I fix the malformation?

help me /agdg/

i've fallen in love with one of the demo day 9 girls

just

I wanna meet that dev.

Postin progress.
Instead of getting rid of the old design, I've decided to do this. I'm also re-writing a ton of back end stuff but that doesn't make a good webm.

What are the prerequisites or benchmarks to making a successful Indie game?

There needs to be an official checklist or something somewhere so that we're all on the same page. Let's work together to raise the standards of all amateur indie game developers across the entire spectrum.

Video 4 of 7.

Travelers
youtube.com/watch?v=9JJIkIRQ7uw&list=PLQOFZ7Uvt6Wx9OGfxMSRadAYIoVZNLytb&index=4

>can you lean w/ the vive without falling over?
Without trouble, yeah. It's only disorienting in the 'fall down' sort of way if the automatic locomotion. Jumping can be unbalancing feeling, but manageable when expected.. Here's a clip showing that.

1. Have a waifu
2. Make it fun to watch
3. Be attractive
4. Be an extroverted normie

-RG/PG has atleast six months of solid effort on the code/gameplay alone.

In Game1.cs, in whatever function you use to create your ball instance, probably Start(), you can either have your Ball constructor require a Paddle to be passed in, which is what it looks like you do except you dun goofed because your ball constructor is lowercase so it isn't recognized as a constructor, and a parameter-less one is automatically generated which is why you aren't getting a syntax error for not passing a paddle in.

Or, where you create your ball, you can go
Paddle myPaddle = new Paddle();
myBall.paddle = myPaddle;

I really like this.

Whoa shit now that's what I'm talking about

What happened to the non-Vive fps that was like this? Glowy crabs and things

Tell me wich one, I can probably confirm if she loves you too.

Thanks!

Part 2 is now up!
youtube.com/watch?v=NTHNrD_5ivM

It's a bit much timelapse, and too few voiced explanations, but this is stretching out to a four-part episode, so there's more to come.

Hope some of you like it

There isn't such thing as a list of how to do good games.

Juice.
Too many people have decent ideas but never put juice into the game. And I'm not talking about just screen shakes. There's plenty of ways to make a game juicy without screen shake. Even text RPGs can have juice with good writing and interactive worlds.

Great tutorial, man. Very interesting to see the methods behind the sprites you post. Are you going to be animating as well?

No idea. How long ago was that? Curious to take a look at it.

Well I changed it where I generate the ball in Initialize to,

ball = new Ball(paddle);

but then vs says "'Ball' does not contain a constructor that takes 1 arguments"

I'm not sure how your (probably correct) naming convention translates to my (probably incorrect) one.

classes have upper case first letters, object don't.

>text RPGs can have juice with good writing

What other kinds of juice are user? particles? smooth animation? dynamic camera?

Thanks!

Yes, this fish will be animated (a simple four-frame animation) and I'll cover the whole process.
Pic is the end result of this tutorial.

Reminder to join the /agdg/ Discord discord.gg/Wvm2T

There are successful devs recruiting in here :)

>your ball constructor is lowercase so it isn't recognized as a constructor
Fix your constructor, basically

How?

all of them were pretty much dead last time that link wasn't expired.

nice try invalid invite senpai

Sweet, if I go through all of them I'll try to make a fish that I'll post it here when I'm done.

Okay, to be more specific, its not that constructors aren't recognized if they're lowercase. Its legal to have a class that starts with lowercase. The problem is your class starts with uppercase (Ball) but your constructor is lowercase
ball(Paddle paddle), they don't match

so just like make it
Ball(Paddle paddle)

>(embed)
Veeky Forums x is really cool but you should check if you aren't copying unnecessary things

Different types of games benefit from different types of juice. Check out this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=216_5nu4aVQ

Free released 2D or 3D kawaii girl when?

changing it to

ball = new Ball(Paddle, paddle);

in initialize makes vs tell me 'Paddle' is a type, which is not valid in the given context

>[Placeholder Title]
>Ordinary Platformer Life
>Unnamed Pixel Platformer
>Untitled ARPG
>Generic newgrounds rpg game with date sim but improved

This channel is amazing. Except for that one video where he fellates Johnathan Blow nonstop

Please do!
I'm eager to see if my instructions actually are helpful or not

>implying you wouldn't give JB a BJ

But I agree, his videos are mostly all useful.

>spent 4 hours this morning trying to debug huge fps hits
>try again this evening
>no longer occurs

Drew her out, but she doesn't fit any good character archetype I don't think that I want in the game, going to replace her with a Slime Girl.

It'll be good for you. I hear Jonathan from down the street signed up.

The top and bottom feel very skyroads, in a good way.

In Ball.cs, change
ball(Paddle paddle)
to
Ball(Paddle paddle)

in Game1.cs
ball = new Ball(paddle)

I am thinking you are lacking an understanding of the fundamentals of the language, friend

>thing happens
>hm guess I should fix that
>test again to be sure of the problem
>thing suddenly doesn't happen
>go back to implementing other thing
>thing 1 happens again
Sometimes I think computers got AI awhile ago.

None of the games here have any potential... except for one.

I still don't know how hoopo came up with the name for his game

>monitor is blurry
>tv has noticeable lag
>no money for a new screen
what do

I'll leave this here.
Almost there for this atari game remake.
going to sleep.

feels good to make shome shit after some months.

>what is
check the filename.

Airports are fun

Yeah. I'm trying to learn as I go, and it's not working very well.

I did what you said, and now I have 2 different errors.

'Ball': member names cannot be the same as their enclosing type. This is in Ball.cs

'Ball' does not contain a constructor that takes 1 arguments This is in Game1.cs

with a game like that you gotta go fast

iirc he looked up idioms for "chance" and came upon that. idioms make for pretty good titles, but they're not always the most google-friendly.

Thats some basic ass shit.

He's basically saying make things EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEME

which anyone with a brain can understand.

Could someone help me out with game maker? I'm trying to get diagonal movement on a grid to work. Here is my code:

pastebin.com/TUWT7qRS

I just don't know how to get simultaneous button presses to work. I've tried stuff like "if keypress(up) and keypress(left){...}" but that doesn't work. It's probably an easy solution, but this is my first time programming. My code at the bottom of the pastebin gives me the result I want so I know I'm not too far off. I'm just messing up the if statement.

>'Ball' does not contain a constructor that takes 1 arguments
This will be fixed once you deal with
>'Ball': member names cannot be the same as their enclosing type
Its treating Ball(Paddle paddle) as a member function instead of a constructor because of the return type, I think. At least with C#, constructors don't have a return type, so just remove it.

Anyone know if it would be acceptable for an app store game to allow players to upload music and allow other users to stream it while they played a level based off of it? The level generation in Audiosurf looks like it would be real fun to program, and I think it would make for a fun quick multiplayer phone game sort of thing. Gets a bit harder to make matches with anything but Drake or whatever if both people have to have the same song on their phones already, though.

I could make a killer synth wave soundtrack for you mang

>which anyone with a brain can understand
user, that's the problem. Have you looked at indie games? 90% of them are boring as shit because the devs don't add the juice or game feel that should be basic.

you won't get appstore approved.
android sure.

The ball isn't that slow in the original.

maybe you should use a temporary variable to hold the direction, like an integer using numpad values.

like after all they keychecks you decide using a switch.

>Anyone know if it would be acceptable for an app store game to allow players to upload music and allow other users to stream it while they played a level based off of it?
The bad news is, this is against the terms of service. The worse news is, there's not even an API for doing that.

Remove what, exactly? This is what Ball.cs looks like atm

pastebin.com/Rjs0iLke

Godot, Cocos2dx, UE4, or SFML? I wanna make mobile games and do my development on linux, if possible... if pressed, I'll focus on Android first, but if I could kinda work on iOS simultaneously, that'd be ideal.

>Still working on collision detection
>Swallow my pride and look up tutorials
>Best looking one cost $4 fucking dollars
>Look up Shaun's GM tutorials because he covers things well
>Platform tutorial
>Adapt his collision detection for top down movement
>Horizontal collision works fine! Finally!
>Vertical collision physically hangs the game and I need manually stop the game from GMS.
>Can't determine cause of the crash other than the fact that it's most likely my while loop
>Am upset with myself. Shot my pride and still failed like a loser.

I'm sorry.

I was thinking of a slow ball because it's hard to avoid shit like that so you need to be carefull.

Do you think I should make it faster?

libgdx if you want to do android.

i forgive you

LibGDX does iOS too

go to rest for a while, try to understand your code.

fug
Guess I could maybe make do with checking the hashes of files in the library to match people
The problem is people pirate so damn much that you can't match shit up all the time based on normal file information
It's why Audiosurf/Beat Hazard leaderboards kinda sucked a few years back

I have enough tools at my disposal that it's not a problem, but if it's ILL EAGLE to just stream something without saving it I'm boned anyhow

>libgdx

Haven't used Java in a while, but I'll look into that one. I'm sure it'll come back to me. Thanks, m80s

Why are you even bothering with mobileshit anyway?
make your own rhythms is a pretty bare genre on pc right now. And you can actually put it on steam.

Holy crap dude. That's pretty.

>try to understand your code.
No one "understands" code. They learn what lines produce the results they want by memory.

>public void Ball(Paddle paddle)

>public
This is the visibility or access modifier, it dictates which other classes can see this function (or variable)

>void
This is the Type of the object that the function will return

>Ball
The name of the function

>(...)
The parameter list, aka how many and of what type, in what order, this function expects you to pass things into it

>Paddle
The Type of the first argument/parameter

>paddle
The temporary name we'll give to what gets passed in, its only valid locally to inside the function

CatSword

Take a break.

Often to fix stuff like that you need to just take a step back and come back with fresh eyes.

>They learn what lines produce the results they want by memory.

Have you made any progress? Or are you just going to post the same webm more times?

>A moderator simulator where you do it for free
>Save CP and collect it before deleting it, or erase it quickly to be safe
>Manage hot pockets for energy
>Balance your sacred duty to keep the board clean and on topic with earning Good Boy Points
>Random bonus objectives that pop up such as manipulating board culture to support your waifu or forcing memes
>Hectic minigames where you have to mow the lawn or dodge questions about your personal life from visiting family members or go buy more hot pockets
>game only ends when you kill yourself

What do you think? Art/10?

maybe you need more practice.
I'm not a CS guy but I can understand another people code if I spend the effort.

Deleting this still gives me the error 'Ball' does not contain a constructor that takes 1 arguments

woooooooooooooohoooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thank you Anons. I was prepared to be bullied but it's really nice to see some kindness. Yeah, I'll take a break for a while and try to make some sense of this problem tomorrow with clean eyes.
Good night Anons. Thank you again.

I hate when people have extremely good looking games but never make progress

If you make it into an actual game, /r9k/,/int/, and /sp/ would love you.

This is a prime example of "misplaced juice"

Your walk animation lacks the feeling of movement, and you've compensated by sadding some crazy nyan cat effect.

It doesn't save it.

You need to have a way better walking animation, then you can add that effect.

Same goes for the sword swing. It lacks the sense of impact.

This is literally lipstick on a pig scenario right here.

recently uploaded to Steam Greenlight. starting to shill since view count has gone down.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ln0AAy9OmMU

Do you even have a semblance of a game beyond bare levels?

I didn't mean delete the whole line, just delete the return type part of it

If you just try random things when you're programming without understanding what you're trying, you're gonna have a bad time

Yes. This is an outdated screenshot I took a couple of days ago.

for what jam

You can't use copy written sound effects.

Those spikes clashing together is from classic megaman.

You will get sued, or C&D'd at the very least.

It's not illegal for your users to download the music. It's illegal for them to upload it so others can hear it.

As for your "tools" I don't know how you expect to grab files from people's music libraries but it clearly isn't something you're "allowed" to access.

Well, funny you should mention. I'm not actually amateur. But my company, which makes mobile games, is doing a game dev jam sort of thing, so for a few days I'll be a semi-amateur game developer - just one with access to test servers and shit. I figured it would be a good learning experience, since I do want to make my own music-generated game for PC eventually. I just can't do it now because of non-compete.

Link me the sound effect, and if it sounds similar enough, then I'll change it. But all sfx were made by me in famitracker.

> I'm not actually amateur. But my company, which makes mobile games
Out out out OUT OUT OUT OUTGETOUT