XCOM General - /xcg/

Emergency Manouvers Edition

Previous mission News:
1)Long War Studios have just released their Laser Weapons Pack and Perk Pack.
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=712967878
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=719109968

2)Shen's Last Gift DLC Released!
>youtube.com/watch?v=oHG_abjJLPM

3)XCOM 2 officially coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on September 6th.
>twitter.com/XCOM/status/740181548419272705

4) Julian Gollop is working on his new game Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression much akin to XCOM. Lobstermen are confirmed.
>twitter.com/Phoenix_Point
>phoenixpoint.info/
>pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-announces-new-game-phoenix-point/

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

Piratez mod for OpenXCom: openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p)
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

XCOM2 NEW AND IMPROVED MODLIST, updated regularly:
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

NEW MEGA MOD LIBRARY - Contains all 180 mods from the new modlist:
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN

Image Library of /xcg/:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

Music for shooting down the ayys out of the sky:
>youtube.com/watch?v=3u4YLIacGZo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TaY7Ke39vUQ
mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol6/independent_events.html
mathsisfun.com/data/probability-events-independent.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pistols are useful

xth for snek

So, I'll ask once again does anybody know if True Retroactive AWC got broken by Shen's Last Gift? Not fucking one of my units has a hidden ability.
Anyway it's time for the summer edition of ASK CIA.

I still don't know, sorry user. Why would you want to cheat anyway ;)

(Rolling)
Will the X2 x-com conversion ever reach a stable and fun state

>start up a new X2 campaign after taking a several month break
>install a bunch of the /xcg/ recommend mods
>play a few missions
>realize that I still haven't finished my LongDong campaign

Fuck me. I remember why I stopped playing, I think I had to mind control an Ethereal or some shit to advance the plot.

>Mind-Control an Ethereal
Wat? You have to capture an Ethereal probably. Why would you have to fucking mind control it? It's pretty much impossibru, senpai-chan.

You need to grind up a psi to the max rank which involves getting the xp and then throwing them into testing which then rolls to see if they advance. And you need to grind out all the resources for the late game armor, MECs, guns, and other equipment.

Basically grind grind grind.

TRAWC got patched into the base game awhile back, i thought?

also: will all my mods finally work together?

>TRAWC got patched into the base game awhile back, i thought?
nope. In fact, Wet works was retro-active originally and they changed that because it wasn't supposed to be.

there is, however, an achievement for doing so!

and it feels pretty satisfying to remove ayy with the etherude's own void rift

Find a worse mission name.

You literally cannot

Operation Mystery Druids

CIA is this the worst mission name ever?

REMOVE AYY LMAOS
REMOVE AYY LMAO POSTERS

>You don't get to bring pecs
>They're not my pecs
>Don't worry no charge for them
>Why would I want them?
>They were trying to grab your gains
>They work for the Mercenayyry
>The Thin-Man

Who is this?

I feel like I should recognize all the books on his bookshelves, but I don't.

Sam Lake / Max Payne

You need to mind-control an Ethereal to get the last tier psionic ability. Rift, motherfucker.

>Miss 4 times on some nigger with 57 % chance to hit.

Every fucking time. Someone give me head devs home address I will pay fifty horny niggers to fuck him right in the ass.

Your chances to hit don't increase with number of shots taken. Can you into basic math?

Honestly I'd probably live here if it weren't for the ban on cars.

Fool, don't you know the XCOM lead dev controls probability? Time and space is at their command, and the source code of XCOM is affecting it. Therefore it's directly their fault that he missed those shots.

Memes Commander Jake will make you lose guys whenever he wishes for you to suffer losses
Retaliation would be futile as he'd simply make you lose yourself

>sectopod turns up out of nowhere
>oh shit it's over
>attack with first guy
>it's an execute, sectopod oneshotted
>mfw

You're either cheating or lying, my friend.

Looks pretty possible to me friendo.
>youtube.com/watch?v=TaY7Ke39vUQ
:^)

didn't know it was possible but it happened.
was a basic repeater only.

>not too shabby
lel

I want a mod that makes it so that the Sectopod actually deals damage to units around it when it blows up.

>Your chances to hit don't increase with number of shots taken. Can you into basic math?

yes they do

it may be a 57% chance every shot, but the more shots you take at 57% chance the more likely it is for a shot to hit

You're not going to get a string of 300 misses at 57% chance; you COULD, but it's incredibly unlikely.

Holy shit it actually works? I've never got it to work on any fucking unit. Shiiiet nigguh, you're lucky! Sorry for doubting, I actually thought repeaters was a dev lie.

But it allready does? Or is it only in XCOM EU/EW?

>You're not going to get a string of 300 misses at 57% chance
I .. I think you're asking to miss 300 57% chance shots in a row. Murphy's Law is barking up a storm right now.

No they don't. Your chance to hit is still 57%. It doesn't increase. Say you've got 5 shots at 57%. 5 x 57 / 5 = 57. Did you drop out of school or something, famalam?

yup. insane odds ofc

Not even that guy, but uh
mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol6/independent_events.html
>When two events, A and B, are independent, the probability of both occurring is:
> P(A and B) = P(A) ยท P(B)

You will hit 57% of your 57% chance shots

Which means you will not get 300 misses unless you are extremely unlucky.

Divide to get the average hit chance. You're chances to miss are still at 43%.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt you in Xcom2 if you're standing right next to it.

It does, only one tile large but still

>people still don't understand the hit percentages
it's like high school math

I've googled it and it says that Gatecrashers and Sectopods explodes in a radius of "4,5m" and dealing 5 damage. The Untouchable perk makes explosions miss ofc, so maybe that's why your soldier dindu get hurt?

first time I ever saw a sectopod it panicked one of my soldiers who moved and panic-fired on it and got an execute.

Kek that must have been a sight. What percentage does Superior Repeaters give? 15%?

Well the more you know, i just remember killing a sectopod while being 1 tile from it and it not hurting my soldier, i do remember the Sectopod was standing up though, maybe if the explosion radiates away from it's body it simply didn't reach the ground? I dunno.

Do you remember if it was a ranger who killed it?

I do not, but it probably was, what other class would want to be close to a sectopod.

Then he probably had the Untouchable perk! Mystery solved!

>sectopods on suicide watch

>4 misses at 57%
That's not even particularly unlikely. 3.4%. Stop whining and learn basic probability.

P(missing all 5 57% chance shots) = 1.5%

The original poster's chances of missing 4 57% chances = .43 * .43 * .43 * .43 = .43 ^ 4 = 3.4%

Sure, each individual shot has a 57% chance to hit and a 43% chance to miss, but taken all together, the probability is as above, and that's what the original poster was bitching about.

Gambler's fallacy, my friend.

no you don't understand

Why are you multiplying the odds? You're basically saying that your shooting an ayy 0.43 times. Nigga what are you doooing?

not that guy but just stop.
how dumb can you get.

it's called maths you fucking retard

So can you explain why he is multiplying the percentage of the odds instead of using addition?

By that logic your chance of hitting a target if you shoot at it 4 times at 57% chance is only 10%. It's not. It's still 57%.

>The gambler's fallacy, also known as the Monte Carlo fallacy or the fallacy of the maturity of chances, is the mistaken belief that, if something happens more frequently than normal during some period, it will happen less frequently in the future, or that, if something happens less frequently than normal during some period, it will happen more frequently in the future (presumably as a means of balancing nature). In situations where what is being observed is truly random (i.e., independent trials of a random process), this belief, though appealing to the human mind, is false. This fallacy can arise in many practical situations although it is most strongly associated with gambling where such mistakes are common among players.
Your chances to hit are always 57%. Yes, the chances of you missing 6 times in a row are statistically unlikely, but treating it like it should be an impossible event is silly.

Fuck that's what I'm saying. It's not even that hard. Isn't it like basic 9th grade math?

Not that user.
You dont have to add anything. 43% chance to miss once. Missing a second time, i.e. 2 57% shots with no successes is 2x43% to miss. 2 57% shots dont have 114% to hit they have 32% of both hitting and 57% each to hit. Map that shit out in a probability tree.

God help you if you ever play shadowrun with dice.

I think we're sperging out over a misunderstanding here. No one is debating the chance of hitting the next shot being anything other than 57%. But the probability of missing 4 57%-chance-to-hit shots is 3.4%.

Check the link I originally posted or the source of the screenshot mathsisfun.com/data/probability-events-independent.html to see why they're multiplied and not added.

and not, you know, the mass human sacrifices

nigga get on my level

I play battletech with dice

Okay, I understand now. Sorry for being dense as fuck. What you're saying is that the probability that all shots will miss is 3.4%, the same as the probability to hit all shots is 10%.

I was claiming that the chance of at least hitting one shot was 57%.

actually understanding that personal experience isn't a microcosm of the set isn't high school math

Sweet baby jesus. How many D6 do you own?

But the probability of hitting at least one shot out of 4 57%-chance-to-hit shots would be 96.6% (just subtract the probability of missing all shots from 100).

I actually dropped out of school when I was 16.

Then you were wrong. The odds of any given shot hitting are 57%. The odds of all four missing are 3.4%. The odds of at least one hitting are (100 - 3.4)%, or 96.6%.

You must have a large table.

Exciting times.

>Player misses several shots in a row
>Normal /xcg/
Response 1: FIX YOUR GAME JAKE!
Response 2: That's XCOM, baby!
Response 3: I could not have predicted this outcome, though it is intriguing!
>Late night /xgc/
Response 1: MATH!
Response 2: STATISTICS!
Response 3: Go back to High School!

Are the majority of mods in the mega mod library compatible with the current version of the game + DLCs?

regards, filthy piratefag

Join us at Late Night Banter with /xcg/

I think I'm missing something about Piratez and night missions.

Decent night vision means my gals can see dudes from further away. Trouble is, I can't see shit. Without their lights on I can't tell what the terrain is. Setting everything on fire helps, but that's just an artificial day mission.

I just use one of these things for rolling lbx cluster hits

I tend to leave my lights on during my turn (unless I'm breaching or going into known hostile territory) and turn them off before hitting backspace.

Or the tried and true tactic of throwing electroflares in a circle around you, leaving your team in darkness, so you can reaction fire the enemy when they come near.

Haven't had much luck trying to turn the lights on and off, but I probably wasn't very smart about it. Guess I'll have to git gud after all.

>Experimental Armor needs a Nanoscale Vest now
Wait what the fuck

The F-35 is a good plane.

So you have to build a useless item in order to build more useless items?

Yes.
And it makes experimental armors even less useful than they were.

I don't know, the plated armor is quite good. 3 HP 1 Armour. What do those Nanoscale Vests even cost? Isn't it like 35 or something? It's cheap af. Build more relays, you poor homeless person!

Elf ear mod when

30 bucks and 2 ayydvent mall ninja corpses, at least on commander

Fantasy with wizards and orcs and skellingtons and shit total conversion when.

>advent mec with healer gremlin
>Goes crazy with suppression. Seems to have unlimited ammo.
>Can, while suppressed, suppress you right back and that breaks your suppression.
>3 armor

J
U
S
T

Don't think it'd fit well. XCOM games are built around shooting, and fantasy combat tends to not be.

At least you could still have sneks though.

Kinda wish we had crossbows.
Hell, I could even get behind a good old-fashioned completely nonsensical compound bow.

We do have a crossbow though. Also

>implying bows are nonsensical

Bows are perfect for killing ayys.

>leaving lights on
You guys realize that's just a visual display so you actually see the terrain and it's not an actual light emitting from your rookies?

The toggle for light is so you can tell when you are standing in darkness.

I keep forgetting about the AYYY KANGS weapons. As a terminal bowfag, the bow in Crysis 3 got my motor running. If only XCOM 2 was friendlier with animations modding. Or someone was as obsessive and me, but talented.

Is that due to a mod or can they get those armours in vanilla?

Pretty sure it's from a mod just going by the quote, but i have like 100 mods installed so who knows which one is to blame, the obvious choice is additional dark events though.