/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Space Jam in 2 days, post space inspo Edition.

> Demo Day (Nine) is Over. Play some games and leave some feedback.
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

>Next Demo Day - Demo Day 10
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

soundtrap.com/playlink/be31b3ad-5cd0-44af-a318-5b3a08b62bb5/
marmorealgame.tumblr.com/
edx.org/course/introduction-music-theory-berkleex-oharm100x-1
online.boscaceoil.net
online.boscaceoil.net/#!/track/jorruZO6En
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st

me
Or I could just learn how the love.physics lib works.

fpbp

hey guys just letting you know that if you are interested in making music for your game and don't know where to start I can suggest using MuLab, which is a completely free program that I came across just recently. As someone who is planning on writing all the music for his game (and doing everything else as well) I can recommend it.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

What I need the most though is to learn some music theory otherwise I'll just be fucking around with the program without ever making something actually good.

I mean, listen to this. Wherever I try, this kind of stuff is the only thing that comes out.
soundtrap.com/playlink/be31b3ad-5cd0-44af-a318-5b3a08b62bb5/

The whole business side of making games sounds intimidating. Is it as scary as it seems?

Just another test. Colors and portrait still placeholders. I still feel something is missing, but can't exactly point what.

yes you will die

agdg is about making games for fun not business, check for that

Depends. If you live in the best country, you can just make an LLC and it's easy as fuck.

wew lad

Post AGDG waifus.

The outsides of the boarders should be as tight as the tops and bottoms are to the edge

How does it compare to LMMS?

Why not both?

its been awhile since i've been in these threads

i need some updates
is rotatedev alive? did he off himself? did his teeth fall out? is he still working on that castlevania clone with that one artist?
is googum still around?
is simloli infinitely banned?
has marmo finished his game?
wheres that paper mario clone guy?

Got some more work done on the weapons system yesterday. By finding different chips for your blaster, you can affect the fire rate, number of projectiles, damage, and effects, which also affects how fast the blaster will overheat, and how quickly its able to mitigate heat.

These chips will be randomly generated as you open crates, and different brands will perform differently, such as Rojier Arms chips are mostly balanced, whereas Smuggler chips will do more damage but overheat pretty fast.

Better to be a nodev than a nudev

Good point, thanks. I will try that tomorrow, I burned out with this for today.

better to be an alphadev than a nudev

>is rotatedev alive? did he off himself? did his teeth fall out? is he still working on that castlevania clone with that one artist?
He literally vanished. Theonian (his artist) is still around and well, working on his own game and making pixel art tutorials for retards like me who can't into art.
>is googum still around?
Unfortunately, yes.
>is simloli infinitely banned?
I have no idea my man, but I haven't seen him in a long time.
>has marmo finished his game?
Apparently he gave up, I don't remember. Check his tumblr out marmorealgame.tumblr.com/
>wheres that paper mario clone guy?
Which one out of the thousands of them?

Also the saturation is quite high. It pulls the eyes from the game screen in my opinion

>have beard
>23
>submissive, passive, boring but outspoken
>attempted to be an indie dev
>more functional than average beta male

5/16

A-am I a nu-male agdg?

>it's a 'pixel art done right' episode

True. I'll probably need to go with a darker pallete since the game has a dark palette most of the time.

Is he an alphadev because he releases games in alpha versions as complete?

>Defending yourself on the internet
ummm...

on snap

rotatedev is now a crossdresser who shitposts on his new tumblr. he doesn't seem to make games anymore

googum is alive and well. he is continuing to update RRPS despite it being a commercial failure. he hasn't updated his animation series in months

i haven't seen simloli since december

marmo is missing

i don't know who that is

WHICH GAME IS YOURS HOLY SHIT MY PANTIES ARE FULL OF PRECUM NOW

>MY PANTIES ARE FULL OF PRECUM NOW
Whose is it though?

well shit, things done changed somewhat, literally vanished? damn, last i heard his arm was numb or some shit, at least his artist is around, he was gud

>Which one out of the thousands of them?
there was one guy that stuck out, he had a cute art style and it was being made in unity, its all i can remember

well thanks for updating me friend, guess its time to get comfy and lurk/catch up on the new spicy memes

I don't think so, the white knight part is integral to the numale. If you don't white knight then you're probably not a numale, just an unfortunate soul.

Have no fear user, I have answers to all of these questions.

>i need some updates
>is rotatedev alive? did he off himself? did his teeth fall out? is he still working on that castlevania clone with that one artist?
Rotatedev has stopped posting on AGDG and dropped rotatevania a while ago. Rotate is now my gf.

>is googum still around?
Unfortunately, yes

>is simloli infinitely banned?
He posts somewhat infrequently, usually when he adds a new feature. I'm not sure if it's because he's busy with non-dev stuff or he's just slow at progress, but these updates are very spaced apart.

>has marmo finished his game?
marmo is dead

>wheres that paper mario clone guy?
I think he deals with IRL stuff since he usually comes in for a couple days, then vanishes for weeks, and then comes back for a few days.

On the subject of music theory:
edx.org/course/introduction-music-theory-berkleex-oharm100x-1

I was in an earlier installment of this course, and it's pretty good, but you better have a piano at hand. Sadly, I couldn't finish it, because I rather coded at the time.

Aww thanks

Haha its my Space Jam project

Odds are good you'll make a lot of games before you make something people will spend money on.

Heard you talking shit like I wouldn't find out

I might mix that up a little. Change the position of the bats and the time, for example. Right now it's tempting to read it as 'night time'.

I think the borders look better than before.

wheres your separating axis test

Here's a hot new meme you might want to get acquainted with

where is our demo day 10 video vine?

literally my favourite part

Thanks for that link my man, doing God's work.

Make one

Really good point there too. Thanks.

There is no fun in making something

How do I figure out what kind of game I want to make?

I'm not deleting any of my menu UI I'm just not rendering it and making it non-interactable. Is this bad? Would it run faster if I deleted it?

Freelease 2D or 3D cute girl when?

Then why would vine do it?

Because she always does

Added a unit that can steal enemy units.

This will be interesting to balance. This unit has more parameters to balance than any of the others:
>move speed
>maximum size
>minimum size to cast its capture
>range of capture ability
>cost to cast capture
>restrictions on size of captured unit
>can you used the captured unit this turn, or wait?

Currently it takes about 3 turns to get set up and into position. I'm balancing for solo play where the AI gets many more units, not PvP, so I could afford to make this unit very powerful. Mind control units feel fun, when they're not used against you.

If she always does it theres no point in asking for her to do it

making one right now, wait a bit

I downloaded LMMS this one time, but never really found it easy to work with. It took me about five minutes to get accustomed to MuLab, and it comes with a lot of professional sounding instruments. Works great with vsts too of course.

how do the snake tails play into the strategy of the game? do they block enemy units from moving? or kill them if they move into them?

How are you going to make the hand units useful when they are too slow to not be picked off by a ranged unit?

Write down a list of random concepts (not even game genres, I'm talking about list entries like "soap" and "swarm of insects in a business suit") and, once the list is done, go through it and try to picture how each one could possibly be made into a fun game.

>soap
sliding at fast speeds

Could be fun

Maybe a game similar to Dustforce where cleaning is the objective, but you can use your own soap sprays to increase your speed?

The tails only block from moving, and function as the health of the snake. There is no push to move every single turn. Sometimes waiting is best.
The icon at the head of the snake is what casts all the abilities to deal damage.

Besides Bit-Man, they are the only unit that can break walls. I'm trying to shit out a lo of units, and then balance later.

Can the snakes' tails be attacked to deal damage to the unit, or does only the head take damage?

Any part of the snake can be attacked to deal it damage, and the head is no longer a one-hit-kill.
In the July 7 demo build, all snakes one punched when you hit the head.

Are there any tools for recording WebMs that don't involve recording actual video in Fraps or something and then converting it?

Oh shit, I didn't even know they could make blocks. Are you going to add the sumo guys and lag guys? I love those dudes. The Turbo piece was awesome, too

webmcam

Webmcam is pretty good, though I've had this issue where it mixed up the frames and I couldn't reorder them.

online.boscaceoil.net

Make a quick song and post here!

>mfw no waifus in sight
should I settle for husbandos?

>no camp whore
Will they turn gay or die first?

scrolling background get

this is literally a DAW with gay pixel art

I'm very wary about adding lag units (called Clog iirc), especially the one that stops it completely. With a combination of Bit-Mans and Clog, you could make a 2 wide tunnel and kill enemies one at a time.

Turbo and Fiddle were OP when combined with the Bug units, since your could make a Bug with 10 speed and 30 health (20 was not the max, only what they gave to Sumo) if you had enough time and a protected space, which Lag and Bit-Man buy you.

Giving the AI some equivalent to Bit-Man mitigates this, of course. I'll probably still add Clog and Tuurbo, but nerf them.

Sumo is definitely going in, it's simply a variation on the basic move-attack unit with extreme parameters. I might give it an ultimate if it has over 16 segments too.

pixels can't have sexual orientations

keep in mind that as the dev, you have access to all the stats and know exactly how AI works and what kind of exploits can be used
the typical casual player won't even discover these exploits if they're not obvious

hubandos are for girls. this is a white male thread user.

>no camp whore

> when you've been making productive posts all night and forgot to attach dog pictures to them because all the other shitposters aren't here
h*ck

i could eat that dog with ketchup salsa.

The devs of the original knew all that too, and still left in a strategy that easily beats 90% of their levels. Obviously they were aiming only at a casual market. I want to build a system that doesn't have any degenerate strategies like that, and still feel like you are exploiting the AI.

online.boscaceoil.net/#!/track/jorruZO6En

mixel nightmare

>This website requires Flash.
;_;

Turn limits. Problems solved. Now the player is forced to prioritize

dog or pig...?

Yeah, I might have made a mistake when I made the player be the defender. Turn limits are no viable in the current game.mode, where the goal is to survive

I like what XCOM did in EW, where the alien DNA stuff that expires. No overall turn limit, but two small ones. I could add captures that give you a bonus unit, at places far from the center of the map.

looks good

Ignoring the 2 humans, what do you think about the art style/worm?

dank

Looks good, fampai.

The worm looks like it's mechanical and made out of thick steel bars which is very cool, but the rest of the map is pretty hideous. Don't think fake voxels are the way to go here.

You gonna make the next Titan Quest bruH?

it looks a bit strange that the worm comes cleanly out of the floor, but your art looks good whatever the case

StartMenu::OptionsOption::OptionsOption(Game &game):

Looks koool