/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

You Wake Up To Find Your MC Was a Slut Last Night Edition.

> Demo Day (Nine) is Over. Play some games and leave some feedback.
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

>Next Demo Day - Demo Day 10
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends
kickstarter.com/projects/noctet/slipstream/description
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

maybe next time:
soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

Hello, thread. Parrying works perfectly now, pretty much all of the player's controls are in place. Now I just have to tweak them so that it feels slick.

The last time I posted progress about my game, someone said something like ">using le dark souls hud"
and I'll say my response again so more people can read it. I'm a novice, this is my first game I've ever created. When you're first starting out it's easier if you work with what you know, so my copy of the bloodborne hud is there to help me learn how to make everything work easier. My philosophy is, if I can make it work like the real bloodborne hud does, then I'll know how to successfully make my own hud out of it. Hopefully that's a good explanation of my feelings on the matter.

Great, another anime trash op-pic

wew lad, nice UI.

Why are her hands merging into one?

This is a whole new level of brain damage.

Japan doesn't give a shit about line work.

the brokeness of a line is used to imply soft things touching, which is why it is used on mouth lines constantly.

DELETE THIS

Reposting from dead thread.

I'm trying to do what you've just said, but I have no idea how to achieve it. Jelly-dev said earlier that all he does is draw the stuff in PS, then Unity does the rest of the work (basically). I'm using SDL at the moment, and I'm struggling to how to get my stuff into it without any loss of quality.

yeah man. it's like we were on Veeky Forums or something.

What's the best way to determine whether two areas are overlapping in Unity? I don't want them to have any physics interaction or collision or anything, I just need them to know that each other is there.

It's a character from one of AGDG's games, Idol Commander or w/e

Why is one nipple super obvious but the other is completely invisible!

There's no way to do this for arbitrary shapes without using OnTriggerEnter. Not even other engines can do this without using physics colliders in some way.

I redid a bunch of the save/load code for NPCs in order to fix a bug where the names of everything would get fucked up.

Cons:
- I can no longer dynamically spawn an NPC and save it
- Have to reload the whole level before re-initializing it, instead of just re-creating all the dead characters

Pros:
- The bug is fixed
- File size dropped 30%

Neither:
- No longer delete and respawn all living NPCs on load... now it just deletes dead NPCs

It could still use some work but I'm pretty sure it's now functional enough to cover all the things I need for the final demo version.

Is there a way to make a physics collider that phases through everything, including other physics colliders?

I like it! He looks tired. Where did my post go

If you don't want to use colliders, maybe try comparing the Vector3.magnitude of both positions?

Another thread, another free released 2D or 3D cute girl hope.

also this is probably my last progress post for a week or two. I won't be dead, just traveling a bit

Sent ;)

And if they got a Renderer, adjust those positions with bounds.extents
But you should just use colliders.

Dang, can you post it again on discord or somewhere? Would like to see high-res.

I already entertained the notion of comparing the coordinate position of both objects, but the problem is that there's no way in Unity to get a list of all objects at a particular location.

If I've got an object at (1,1,0), it has no way to "look" for an object at (2,1,0). I'd have to loop through every object in the scene, and check its transform.position to see if it matched (2,1,0).

there is in unreal

I can't think of something that doesn't involve Physics.
That's probably because people had this problem before, thought of a solution and then crammed it into the Physics namespace, lol.

Why was it deleted? Had to go to the archve to see it, but looks great man.

I think what I'm probably going to have to do is make an object that just serves as a way to reference a set of coordinates, make a matrix of them with their position in the matrix based on the coordinates they're spawned at, and then have each one hold a list of anything that occupies the same coordinates as it.

You can customize your layers in Unity.

You should provide the exact specifications of what you are looking for, friend.

Are you by chance making a map/grid that holds all objects and their coordinates? It sounds pretty much like that.

Where can i find a guide to get started with GameMaker? I just want to know the basics of how it works.

If the collider is a trigger it shouldn't collide with anything.

Just throw some agdg quality one, it's free so he shouldn't complain.

brum
more like
broom

I love it

I love you

how the fuck do I get started with shaders?
How'd you learn /agdg/?

I don't think I'll be able to make a game with ECS. I'm just not good enough at coding. Maybe I should stick to bad methods until I get better... I'm not sure

I already forgot what exactly you were trying to do again. Whoops. My attention span & memory is that of a child, haha.

woooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I was told to stay away from inheritance from a base game object class and was shown ECS and systems like that, but I don't think I'm good enough to implement any.

I don't have a crazy huge amount of experience making games and I'm not an expert at coding so maybe I should stay away from it and just use whatever works until I get better maybe

>different pixel resolutions
>character blends into background
>awkward color ramp for background
>no parallax for background
gross

At what scope do C# scripts operate? If I make a class in one script, and then a child class in another script, will they work fine while occupying two unrelated objects?

Is there any point to using the object hierarchy outside of binding the position/rotation/scale of the children to the parent?

If it was Unity, I'd just create a Monobehaviour and add that component.
Same thing, really. ECS is just an object made up of a bunch of objects strung together.

But hey, whatever is simple and works is probably a good thing.

>Used to be pretty good with Blender
>Stopped doing it for over a year
>Come back

Shit I would have easier time flying the space shuttle.

I'm using SDL and C++ at the moment. Trying to make something 2d

you got trolled

just use whatever you can to make it work

If you instantiate 2 objects and add the parent/child class to them respectively, they'll work just fine.

And if you use SendMessage/SendMessageUpwards/Broadcast they'll try to call a method in the component in this object/all parents/all the children respectively. It uses the hierarchy.

>Use Maya at work every now and then
>Start AGD
>Try Blender
there are no words

whatsa different pixel resolution. im retarded

Can anybody make a similar picture for this demo day?

Huh actually it seems I'm wrong on that count.

Because of the artifacting on your .gif, I thought you had put in single-pixel details (where as every other detail is a zoomed up 2x2 pixel)

Can somebody point me to a good GameMaker straight forward guide? Please, the official one seem too bullshit for me and the video format tutorial is just horrible.

in b4:

>God Tier
*tumbleweeds*

>Shit Tier
every game

>Slipstream
>Recentish progress elsewhere on internet
>Nigga doesn't post here anymore
R U D E

Also woah, it was actually funded, despite all the shit we gave him: kickstarter.com/projects/noctet/slipstream/description

GameMaker Essentials
GameMaker Game Programming with GML
GameMaker:Studio For Dummies
HTML5 Game Development with GameMaker

>tfw attempting to sculpt a head for the first time
this is pain
more pain than I though it would be

this animation editor in unity is actually trying to make me commit suicide

Is phantom block still around? I haven't seen him post recently.

>mfw constantly moving up every time my game is judged

for I while I thought plok == phantom block

Early dev, post screenshots:
>Ugly shit, retarded mechanics, kill yourself user

Mid dev, post screenshots:
>Art needs work, boring mechanics, kill yourself user

Late dev, post screenshots
>What did you make your art in? What did you make your game in? Kill yourself user

Polish dev, post screenshots
>Wow this is actually decent, what the hell user?

Feels good.

>$7k

That's neat and all, but is that really enough money to develop the game to completion full time?
That'd only be enough money for three months at the average cost of living.

you are cute. cute!

lmao

It would be for me, in the shit hold country I'm in.

to be honest I took a semester class in 3D modelling in maya and every minute I kept going "but I could do x easier in blender"

Did the math just now. That's 27 months of living expenses for me. That's even living pretty comfortably (eating well, keeping clean, exercising, going out once a month).

he's huehue though so 7k is like 10 years of living expenses for him

why are you guys still awake dont you have work

you said that yesterday :o

not that this guy did that, but people are doing some sketchy shit. there was a bigger game recently that just canceled their product because they ran out of money and admitted they under-asked just to make sure they would get money, and expected to make the real amount they needed from stretch goals. so they megascammed everyone

Eh I could live off of that for 8 months here in Canada with all my bills and rent covered (Though I have a roommate so it makes rent easier)

thanks for reminding me to check out the 4am general

no i dont have work, unless you mean indiedev?

Am I allow to make one of the /agdg/ girl characters my waifu?

It depends on which one would you like? Vampire girl is already taken.

Forgot pic

>27 months of living expenses
What fucking third world country do you live in?

it's really not difficult, it's a tiling window manager with some buttons, menus and hotkeys

the problem is shit like your image is a poorly formatted list of hotkeys only, of course it's gonna be confusing, if you gave an overview of maya only in terms of hotkeys it'd be fucking confusing too

did the falling down, landing and standing up into defensive stance animations

I'm not sure if I want to go for a slicker metallic look or if I go full US flag texture like on the far right. Will see tomorrow while I work on the cockpit and controls.

The game was solid already when he got the money, he could have released it then

The problem isn't the number of hotkeys, it's that Blender goes directly against standards set in every major 3D app used in the industry. I don't see why they went and fucked with simple things like pan, rotate, etc.

>US flag texture
>like on the far right

>US flag
>far right
geheheh

Cute

tbqh fampai the main cost of living is lodging, I could easily get by spending less than $100 a month on food

Hey I made this.
I deleted the model and texture though

>ask dev if I can make his girl my waifu
>dev makes post about it on tumblr
>all fans call me an inconsiderate thief
Bad idea.

Progress: Added delay between enemy attacks

Time for sleep, seeya later today /agdg/

Left ones look nicer.

You'd really have to put a lot more effort into it to make a red/white/blue thing work.

YOU WHAT?

Yeah sorry.
I guess i could remake it though.

>middle click to rotate
>shift middle to pan

really not that hard to get used to, does maya and max do this the exact same way too? Don't think so. the most useful hotkeys are very mnemonic, the rest you can search for with space

remake it and make it cuter than before with what you have learned

Hideo Kojima is not even a real developer. All he does is go on travel vacation and sending tweets all day. He is a hack and has never laid one finger on one of "his" game. I bet he doesn't even know what his game is about, everything is done by his employees while he is having vecation time.

No you just killed her so no need to revive and kill her twice later.