Homebrew & Hacking General - /hbg/

New thread BOIS edition

Previous Thread: /hbg/ Wiki: homebrew-general.wikia.com

-SAFE FIRMWARES-
3DS: 9.2 (10.7 downgrade - Entrypoints: Browser/Menuhax up to 10.5, otherwise OoT/PSMD/Freaky/Ninjhax)
Wii U: 5.5.1
Vita: 3.51 (Userland)
PS4: 1.76 (Kernel)

-GUIDES-
3DS: pastebin.com/TQwDsWh9
Downgrade + a9lh: github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
Wii U: pastebin.com/8u0WAyJC
Other Consoles: pastebin.com/pHS5LaR5

-RECENT NEWS-
>3DS
-New exploit in the works for US/JAP 3DS 11.0, based on SmileBASIC:wololo.net/2016/07/05/another-3ds-exploit-just-got-announced-game-smile-basic/
-11.0 is still the latest version. If you already have CFW (emunand/a9lh), you can update. DON'T UPDATE IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CFW.
-11.0 userland homebrew is now available via Freakyhax, OOT3D and PSMD, but don't expect CFW or downgrading without a hardmod anytime soon
-Pokémon Picross announced as new secondary homebrew entrypoint
-DS emulator in the works: gbatemp.net/threads/430223/
-New version of Decrypt9 out with full, untrimmed cartridge dumper: github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/releases/tag/20160626

>Wii U
-New IOSU exploit details for developers have been added to WiiUBrew, but don't expect anything yet.
-Kernel exploit for 5.5.1 leaked, allowing Loadiine to run and more.
-5.6 may get released soon. Use 104.236.072.203 to block future updates

First for Vita CFW never

a9lh is shit, don't fall for the meme

>tfw still have a 1.81 vita sitting around in a drawer somewhere

It's just not fair.

shadownand > a9lh

Should I update my Vita to 3.55 to play Cyber Sluts?

should i go with screeninit or nonscreeninit for a9lh? the section about it in the guide was not very helpful since I have no idea what it means.

It literally doesn't matter.

Hell, even Salt does Luma's stuff better. No Emunand (almost completely useless on a9lh anyways), no flawed reboot patching (works well with CtrBootMgr9 out of the box) and no config that needs editing

So I'm thinking of getting a 128GB Micro SD with SD adaptor for the WiiU.

If I format it to Fat32 just like with N3DS can I use it for the WiiU?

So was A9LH ever a good idea, or was it a meme all along?

Luma and a9lh are two different things

Yes, pardon my mix-up.

Is there a meme here or no?

No I just have the plaisys

So I need the FBI and the inject generator, I make the health and safety thingy and then use the FBI to install the cia I downloaded?

There is no meme.

>he uses a9lh
>he goes through a shitty guide and risky bullshit

Meanwhile I'm sitting comfortably with emunand and absolutely no risk of bricking

Getting a new SD card for my 3ds, if I copy the current contents to the new one will I keep my games saves?

Hol' up, how am I supposed to use Tiny Format to format my rednand twice? Doesn't the first format remove the health and safety FBI/Tiny Format cia?

>risky bullshit

I want to use a custom theme but not have the custom music, is it as simple as deleting the bgm.bcstm and .ogg files from the older or is some form of them required?

what's your current setup?

Deleting the bgm.bcstm is sufficient. The bgm.ogg is just for the preview.

al9h + luma

yes, just copypaste everything then

Why should I use Salt instead of Luma?

Why are almost all themes on 3dsthem.es so shit

alright, thanks senpai!

/hbg/-chan, daisuki~

ok I started the lengthy Plailect/Guide tutorial and already encountered the first bullshit. Starting Emunand9 in Part 2 and then it says can't backup sysNand.bin because of unknow sd card format or whatever. It's fat 32 and everything...what gives?

>EMUNand
>No Risk of Bricking

Top fukken kek.

You brick on CFW EmuNAND ur fukked for life.

You brick on A9LH you can unbrick anytime.

Have you done the
>usethistool set to an Allocation Unit Size of 32K."
from the "get started" section of the guide?

first thing I did

>Section V - Removing RedNAND from your SD
>Press Select on the main menu to eject your SD card
Is this on hourglass9?

When formatting the SD to remove emuNAND (same section as this user), will I have to back up my game saves and restore those + reinstall cia's afterwards?

>You brick on CFW EmuNAND ur fukked for life.
Not him but how do you brick your sysNAND if one is using emuNAND? Genuinely curious. Except for bootrom bricks, that is.

>You brick on A9LH you can unbrick anytime.
Only partially true since you can't recover from a bootrom brick (though I don't know how to pull that off even intentionally except for soldering shit on your 3DS).

This Plailect/Guide...if you follow it by the letter it's great.

I don't need to downgrade as I'm already on 9.0.0 and in part two it says right at the beginning - "skip to step 22" then open emunand9. Thing is - there's no emunand9 in the homebrew launcher, because you told me to skip putting it on my sd card.

the last step is to place your emunand over your sysnand

so no

So download it. What's the problem?

Well, it might be confusing for some people who are following the guide to the letter.
I wonder what else might be poorly explained/wrong in the more complicated parts.

I've asked this before, but is there a way to take screenshots with Luma + a9lh?

Last time I asked, people told me I had to switch to NTR.

For now, it's the only way to do that (in-game screenshots that is), although TuxSH said something about implementing NTR-like features.
You can take pictures of your home menu just fine.

you don't switch to NTR, you install NTR on top of an existing CFW

Been gone a few months, and have a n3ds with9.2 sysnand and rxtools loading with homemenuhax.

Considering that rxtools is dead, how should I go about upgrading to a new CFW?

Is it just a matter of dragging and dropping files and then renaming them? Or do I have to do anything more complex?

That's right

You should get Luma

yeah plailect's guide is pretty shit

>He can't read rudimentary English

Been saying this for awhile. It's absolutely terrible at troubleshooting, and leaves out a ton of details.

i've been saying this since basically always

I've never seen someone fail with Plailect's guide unless they were illiterate or ignored instructions

Get Luma immediately. It's just dragging files around. GIF related.

Then consider doing A9LH.

Just finished following Plailect's guide. Looks like everything went fine.
There was a part about NTR CFW. What is it for and should I install it?

I followed till part 3 of the guide, I don't want to armload 9 so how do I install FBI while skipping the rest of the guide?
Do I just have to unzip FBI.cia into the 3ds folder?

A bit off topic, but did anyone here own an original DS? The big chunky ones. My Lite hinge broke.

How's the screen, how's the d-pad? Reckon I can stick the guts of a lite EZ Flash 3-in-1 in an old GBA cart so it will fit?

>Plailect's guide is written so clearly with all bases covered so well ever a mentally-challenged 10 year-old could figure it out
>This place is still askfag general because faggots refuse to actually read it

is it safe to update my 3ds through the store?I don't know how to check what i'm running, but i have homebrew launcher. wont let me dl that amiibo game without updating

if you don't have cfw, don't update

Only on a9lh sysnand. On emunand, ALWAYS update via system settings.

It should be a good habit to always update via system settings anyway.

Is it easy to interchange ps3 custom firmwares?
I'm going to buy a secondhand ps3 running cfw 4.xx

Rebug's install instructions are to just install it over any CFW as long as your console's QA flagged.

You should be using Rebug.

part 4 says
>FBI.cia from the FBI zip to the input folder
does it change if I don't do the rest of the tinkering?

Anyone here playing monster hunter generations?
Is there online?

>Anyone here playing monster hunter generations?
Where the fuck do you think you are?

>Is there online?
There are bans being handed out.

part 4 is a mess

aight thanks

Ordered an NSTT for 8 bucks today. Was it a good decision?

no

So once I'm done with plailect's guide it's safe to sign into my NID without needing to do anything else right? I don't see any mention of it.

yes that will just work

Any particular reason why?

>There are bans being handed out.
but thats wrong you retard

Hey just get my 3ds CFW to work yesterday and began getting some games.
But I got some .3ds files, can I do anything with them or should I convert them into .cia?

Just call this thread customer service holy fuck

convert to cia

or just use freeshop

Quit monkeying around OP

Is there a better 3DS -> CIA converter than 3DSConv? I keep getting errors running it with certain games like Smash Bros, MonHun3U, SMT4, and Kid Icarus. I don't want to download them because I'm in a place with bad internet. I have the carts and can dump decrypted, trimmed .3ds files without issue. The .CIA conversion process just seems messed up.

holey fuck is this a fiddle for a mere file conversion.
I hope I'll find my games in freeshop/CIAngel.

Use Decrypt9 to dump and decrypt carts
Then it's easier to convert to CIA

we get it. No need to samefag

I am doing that, I have 7 things on the conversion list right now. For some reason they either don't open at all (Smash Bros, SMT 4) or they open and convert to ridiculous filesizes (Kid Icarus went from 1.8GB to 21MB). Some other ones just don't install for seemingly no reason (Project X Zone stayed normal size but just fails to install in FBI).

Again, using 3DSconv for converting and Decrypt9WIP for dumping.

If I download a game through freeshop can I just download updates through the eshop?

Actually, checking again, Kid Icarus ended up 21MB as a trimmed .3ds file. Dunno what's up with that, are there multiple files or something that aren't showing up from decrypt9?

you can download any game update through eshop

About to hardmod a 11.0 o3ds.
If i do the soldering job right, there's absolutely no risk of bricking afterwards, correct?
If u somehow fuckup in the process of downgrading and whatnot, I should be able to easily reflash an other firmware on the nand trough the hardmod, right?

>If I do it correctly will it work?

Not exactly.
I'm confident enough with my soldering, it's the flashing that worries me.
What I'm asking is, if the hardmod is done right, is there any chance of fucking up still.

if you get a good NAND backup as soon as you solder to the eMMC then you should be good to do just about anything to the console softwarewise and it won't break.

Alright.
Thanks user. Will do.

decided to try dumping again, I have the time so we'll see if I just buggered it up.

When dumping carts, do you need to dump the private header to play online? Or can you just convert+install as a CIA and avoid getting banned?

>got a partial downgrade

FUCK
now it's getting stuck on hax init and the first time it went through smoothly until the error

;_; pray 4 me /hbg/

>late fags

Shit, I think I figured it out.

I've been trying to transfer the file using FTPD and filezilla, because I didn't want to pull my SD card all the time.

Looks like trying to do it that way has led to parts of the .3ds files just not making it, so I get files that are way too small as they're missing most of the total sum. Looks like I have to either use the built-in microSD manager or (more likely) open up and pull the microSD myself. Fuck, I didn't want to do that. Guess I have to now though.

You don't need to dump the header separately. It's already included in the dump.

RATE / HATE / DEBATE / MASTURBATE

>risky bullshit
I downgraded and installed a9lh the day they were released, if you are not retarded it's not risky

>Frogger3d
>Sticker Star
>No DS Forwarders
8/10 for the theme, though.

Actually, Decrypt9 doesn't dump the header in .3ds dumps. It can only be dumped separately.
.cia conversions don't need one at all. Private headers are a Gateway/Sky3DS standard for storing cart-unique IDs, those don't exist for digital games at all.

Fuck you

>Late fags