/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Old Thread

>First for not actually getting the first post in because I spent too long trying to think of a funny first post.

You don't deserve the first post, having such mediocre creativity. I'd put 5 points into mining on you and move to the next dwarf.

I'm sorry, please don't tell the Commisa-*BLAM*

>mfw wrestling the panties off of a female human guard and chucking them at random pedestrians

That's l-l-lewd user

I want to create a fortress with grand walls, spanning from one side of the map to the next, then use something like DFhack to embark on a new site with just a smidgen of overlap so I can continue to build said great wall, creating a massive construction eventually spanning a continent in which all dwarves can be safe behind and build the grandest empire the world has ever seen.

Please tell me this is possible. Could I actually use something like DFhack or what have you and have a new embark share a bit of land with an old embark?

Yes, there's an embark anywhere function in DFhack.
Or at least there used to be. I've been out of the loop for a long time.

Overlapping embarks is not smart, you can just use dfhack to link up the edges of the walls, to make The Plane of Legends great again!

And the old embark site would actually remain accurate? Everything will still be where it should while doing this?

Oh no, I was just planning on having the very edge of the old embark overlapping the new one. Just enough to be able to see the Great Wall to continue expansion.
That shouldn't be a problem right?

the problem with this is when you reach the edge of individual embark regions. You'd have to be content with closing off peninsulas that can be contained in a single region.

What do you mean?

The sad part is there's so much stuff that's there, you just have to actually read the UI but people skim so much.

>tfw collapsing a ~100z level 9x9 up/down staircase from the surface to the magma sea so you can floor it over for an 'outside' barracks, dining room, well, and statue garden
Misery.

He can cast obsidian or raise bridges and destroy the levers though

Can't build walls within 6 tiles of the map edge above-ground

Why not just build that shit near the ground?

Oh fuck, that's right I forgot about that. All the more reason a little embark overlap might be required.

>traders come
>start hauling the good stuff
>the whole fortress is now full of vomit
Every time.

>trade depot in the sunlight

>Not making the dwarfs face Horus every now and again

I prefer just doing everything at the bottom over making a magma piston and doing everything near the surface

should be fine, you can do it

>going in the sun outside of the annual surface clearcut cause its tree density is shutting down your tree farms

Why not make some stuff in the bottom and some stuff near the surface?

Would be better to make a meeting hall or a statue garden then.

Cause that assfucks productivity even with dorms, dining rooms and stores at the top, middle, and bottom of your fort.

He has an entire forum dedicated to that. And reddit, SA, that other chan, probably a FB group or 3, twitter...
There's no reason to think that he consumes every bit of internet chatter about DF, especially not the low quality shit that goes on in /dfg/. The thread is perpetually on deathwatch and half the posts in it are new players getting help with things they should've gone to the wiki for in the first place. Toss into the mix shitposting badplayers arguing with people who know what they're talking about, the same 5 feature fantasies repeated ad nauseum, bitching about fps and lolnosieges, tfw no startpack, and miasa-feels-tier memes.
If Toady has ever been here at all he probably didn't bother to sift through the whole thread to find 1% of the posts worth reading, and he probably never came back.

>letting Zach sign your shirt
Ruined it.

>its tree density is shutting down your tree farms
What do you mean?

>large 10 tile tall, 7 tile wide walls
>towers periodically placed to watch for invaders
>ballistic teams at the ready flanked on either side by fortifications
>three tile wide ditch at the bottom filled with water
Yes, this is going to be glorious.

If you get too many of the fuckers on the surface cause you aren't cutting them, your saplings stop maturing until you do.

>Not magma
It's like you want to get Croc'd

he does more than u do faggot

Surface tree density doesn't stop the growth of underground trees. Assuming that you mean farming trees underground. They only stop other nearby trees from growing once they reach the biome's supported tree density.

I can't imagine the hellishness of filling a magmamoat that spans an entire continent.

not having cute paw prints on ur shirt :3

Stop posting and go get Toady more mountain dew, Zach. And put up your crayons first.

You don't need all that much. a piston should be fine

You would need an embark-sized piston to get enough throughput to fill even a 1z deep trench on that scale. Pistons are best for getting magma in small amounts at a time. With that much space to fill you'll lose so much magma to evaporation in the time that it takes to reload the piston that you might never be able to it.

Step 1: Build the base of the piston and fill it.
Step 2: Construct walls around the top of the piston.
Step 3: Acquire water, another source of surface magma, and pumps.
Step 4: Cast a piston sized chunk of obsidian ON TOP of your piston.
Step 5: Panic when the land vomits up way more magma than you expected and it covers the map.

>snek

rip snekbro, you were too gud for this world so you gotta go be with tarn now. ;_;7

>playing DF with SimCity3000 music playing in the background
Surprisingly comfy.

ill record a vocarllooo link im slammmeddd xDDD

Yeah, that fucking snake is sitting there like "WHAT THE FUCKITY FUCKING FUCK HELL IS ALL THIS FUCKING FUCKNOISE... FUCK!" and then the magma fell over.

Sure, you want a one-use piston to get a ton of magma all at once, that's fine. You're not gonna fill a continent-spanning moat with that setup, though. If you've already got convenient surface magma that's a much more viable option. Certainly not as dwarfy as fucking the magma sea with a stone phallus, but sometimes we must sacrifice for success.

Build a casing on supports, pump as needed then collapse and go home.

HOW

Giant bees.

Pfft. Get a load of this fag. I bet you haven't done a fort sustained solely on vermin and water. You can butcher some of them.

No, if it were giant it would have a "giant" prefix.
This is regular bees.
I've had them bring giant mosquito brains before.

Ah, but if you set up channels properly then you only need to stonefuck the magma sea every couple of forts and as long as there is a proper site next door the magma will remain when it leans over!

I'm doing some planning here and I got a question
Is this a big enough space for a seed stockpile?

>Build a casing on supports
Not sure what you mean by that but
>pump as needed
That's a 14z tall block of magma. If you're going to build a 14z pump stack to your new magma level every time you drop the piston then you would be better served just building a pumpstack in the first place. At that point the piston is just a middle man that's losing you magma to evaporation every time you have add to its infrastructure. Nevermind that you have to actually access your work area, which is going to be covered in lava, fire and smoke for a whole season at least after gravity finds that block.

That's huge. I have about 1000 seeds stored in just 5 barrels.

I would do it every fort for best results. I don't think magma flow will keep happening off map. If it does, the two week gap between retire and embark could be problematic to your magma supply if you don't plan it out well. If you're smart about it and you get a constant flow of magma in every fort it might work.

Oh, really? Alright, thanks.

Oh, I was thinking of doing it a different way, build the whole set up and leave it locked up except for the levers for the given pistons, then go along and trigger them with an adventurer, fort to fort.

Yeah, plenty. Take like 40 sand bags and 5 coal so you have shit to put them in.

Build walls around where the magma is gonna come up and put it on supports cause fuck deconstruction. Put a pump at the base and pump it through a channel to fill the moat.

Oh sure, be smart about it why fucking don't you, look I just like the idea of running from a tidal wave of magma while triggering further boosts to it, ok?

Yeah, that could work. Measure twice, cut once. Be certain that you'll get enough magma at each location to fill the whole moat in one drop from each piston, because you're not likely to get a second pass at it. And make sure your adventurer is sanic fast so he can get to the next piston before the magma spreads to 1/7. You might set up bridge baffles to help with that.

I see. You still wouldn't be able to do it with that piston. That block is big, but it's not going to stretch across a continent, and multi-z pistons aren't repairable. At least not in any useful sense. You're still stuck either pump stacking to your new magma level or just building a new piston down the road.

>yesterday stonecrafter started making figurines of snake and reptile women
>today my woodcrafter started making figurines of coati men

But user, using barrels causes cancellation spam

ded

Yeah, pumpstacks are easiest, just seemed more amusing to picture a wall of forts with massive blocks standing there, all the industry and digging and building and shit just to run along triggering massive magma explosions and run to the next fort.

Just set details to make figurines of your deity.
That we can finally give tailored statues instead of having to make a billion and pray is amazing

Horus was the moon, yo. Ra was the sun.

What are all these options like "multicolored metal, translucent metal..." In the metalsmith's forge? What resources are used for those jobs? I have a tone of nickle and I don't know what to do with it.

Divine metals

Like adamantine 0.75 or so.

I was out of the loop or a few years. Aren't those only available in adventure mode?

Other than that, what do you propose I should do with all this nickle?

Houses made out of Nickel along with all furniture inside made out of nickel also nickel trinkets sprinkled inside the houses.

You can always have an adventurer bring you shitloads of the metals.

bump

Mugs. Export mugs and beer. Be the paragon of the Dorfy trader.

thats savage man

Now I'm afraid starting another fort after previous one was fucked by undead few months after start.
Was I just unlucky that Necromancer was near or I picked dangerous area after all? Or world generated is such terrible place?

Also do ramp/channeling system had some changes since 40 version? I didn't had problem with that as long I didn't destroy ramp, this time upward slope was there and miners didn't used it anymore (even if they used it first time).

>Was I just unlucky that Necromancer was near or I picked dangerous area after all? Or world generated is such terrible place?
How are we supposed to know? Did you or did you not embark near a tower?

>[ramp/channel changes] since 40 version?
0.28.[...].40d (the first 3D version years ago) or 0.40.01 ("DF2014")?
There were some changes when climbing was added, and IIRC at some point channeling started leaving ramps (before it would remove ramps as well). In either case, it's hard to tell you what went wrong because you didn't write very clearly what you mean. What exactly did you do, and what happened, as opposed to what you expected to happen?

There was a dwarf stuck in a tree somehow and I tried getting him down by buildig an up stair on the floor, and then a down stair on his z level. For some reason the dwarves could make the up stairs on the ground, but after reaching stone needed to make the down stair they would simply stand there until I cancelled the order. What gives?

how can you exactly sever someone's cheek?

By hitting it with a big chunk of sharp metal in such a way that the flesh is torn off completely.

Or Legendary Wrestler Grandmothers

Necromancers attack fast. You should section off your fort quick with cage traps.

And no, your ramp problems are the same as those of everyone else in these threads, that they're not as good at visually evaluating a ramp based path as they think they are.

o -> xxx then micromanage.

I had trouble with ramps too but this image from the wiki sorted me out. A ramp has to be "ramped up" against a wall for it to reach the floor above it on that tile. In this picture, because the floors don't have walls beneath them you can't traverse the ramp onto them. If you left the wall in place, you would. If you dug out the wall I marked green, you would be able to travel from the lower z level to the floor left behind.

Jesus dude, why would you do that to your dorfs

It's called a challenge.

I'm speaking from a dwarfitarian perspective

>Nobody expects the Protestant Reformation!

The damn dwarves don't want to dump some stones I've designated. There is no ground above them since I channeled out the ceiling. Could that be the cause?

Got a dump set up? Build a trackstop and put a minecart on it dumping towards your garbage zone, assign a route to it which accepts stone/garbage/whatnot and set a feeder pile with the same conditions plus three wheelbarrows. They'll huck everything in there happily.

Well they've done it somehow when I wasn't looking. Guess dumping is pretty low priority.

my question to the dwarves, who play modes DAII-War and Mythos.How to understand where live Aboleth?

What is this disgusting construction, why are there holes in walls?

How to understand live where mean what feels miasa?

>How are we supposed to know? Did you or did you not embark near a tower?
Didn't check neighbors of my embark, there is indeed Tower there.

>There were some changes when climbing was added, and IIRC at some point channeling started leaving ramps (before it would remove ramps as well).
I know how it work, thats reason I rellied on ramps instead stairs (what I build later). It was after I lost few miners when they destroyed ramp while digging room with ramp in midle cuting themselves from higher levels.

>What exactly did you do, and what happened, as opposed to what you expected to happen?
I channeled 2 holes in room, one in middle as place for stairs and second near wall what I wanted to use. Miners dig some tunnels on that level and go elswhere and second time they went there to work more and couldn't get out while similar ramp in lower level didn't caused any trouble.

>Necromancers attack fast. You should section off your fort quick with cage traps.
Even so early before I could do much? I guess I have to focus on some defense before exploring mountain and making fort.

>Even so early before I could do much? I guess I have to focus on some defense before exploring mountain and making fort.
It's only really a thing if you embark near a tower (or in an evil biome). towers are meant to be a bit of a challenge, if you're having trouble finding an embark site that isn't near the tower you could generate a younger world

этo ты

>There were some changes when climbing was added
There weren't any changes with ramps or channels when climbing went in.

Gesundheit.

I really worded it a bit unfortunate.

The introduction of climbing, the ensuing changes to pathfinding and resulting accessible paths might make the behavior of dwarves around ramps seem different. Namely, ramps that aren't usable might appear as if they can be used, but in actuality, the dwarves were just climbing.

Could you guys post some rough specs of your pc's(I guess the CPu is the only one that matters to DF) and your current framerate? I got 16 FPS, amd athlon 240 II.

I got a human axeman to join my army, he hasn't picked up the human armor I specially made for him, he's also moving really slowly? Not sure what's going on with him.
Also how good are humans compared to dwarves as fighters? Having giant 2handers on humans seems like it could be some serious damage compared to short dwarven weapons.

What does his wound status say? Seems like he might have some sort of leg injury that's slowing him down.