/domg/ - Dominions General

Scheming Edition

Previous Pantokrator: Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/dHdZ1cch

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate (-75%) and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Work on the Wiki!

Other urls found in this thread:

test.blitzserver.net/matches/view/471
test.blitzserver.net/matches/view/539
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for yet another game filled with multiple stalers, most of whom were actually in a good position before they just gave up/got removed by the illuminati

Peace is over.

If you get in a good position that's all the more reasons for illuminati to want you.

Remember to always lose your games at the end unless you want to be next.

We have always been at war with Ermor.

I've won games and they haven't come for me yet.
Perhaps I should be worried.

The only reason UW nations aren't the most cancerous nations in the game, is because they're so boring to play that nobody plays them and subsequently, nobody has to fight them.

Tell me more about that user

Imagine a nation that could turn land provinces into water provinces. Either a spell or from having very high dominion in that province.

Sounds like a cancer nation depending on whether the conversion is permanent or not

What happens to the population in that province? Do they all become merpeople or just die?

YES

I would totally buy. Works like Ermor but turning stuff into uw instead of ded.

Aw shit, if I had noticed Aphodel had stalled I would have invaded him.

That's far, far more cancerous than Ermor though.

Huh, never seen that title before

test.blitzserver.net/matches/view/471
Due to a handful of fuckups on my end causing emails to not be sent out resulting in a handful of stales, one AI, and one player being set AI who didn't even want to be AI. I'm restarting fourth test, if you either want to join and try a long a term direct connect game, or have already joined and no longer want to deal with the hassle, now is the time to say something.

>mememap

JEWS. DO YOUR TURN.

we all know you are in the oven anyway.

Apologies, I'm assuming you're referring to me. I was caught up in a blitz earlier today, just sent the turn in now.

NOT YOU. I am talking about the other jews!

is there any way to mod a spell to do damage only if there is more than one unit/based on the number of enemy units?

It looks great. I enjoyed all seven turns I got to play on it. Someone else complained about it a while ago but when I pressed him for details he wouldn't tell me anything. What's the issue with it?

>cavecluster
>meme connections everywhere
>choking starting positions
>not intuitive connections and province placement
> clusters of hyperlinks to the other sides of the map everywhere, often making it hard to choose where to place a fort.

Apologies and appreciation to our Lord and Servior. I just noticed your post in thread yesterday a few hours after you set me AI. Sorry I got mad at you, I thought the game was on hold due to server issues, and I did not expect my spam filter to kick in on turn 7. I'll make a filter this time.
I had merrows in my cap circ too.

Also you can start in the caves in one of the one-province not-cave giving you a cap circle of shit.

Which province is it?

>Join Blitz match
>Players go AI one by one
>Last human vs human interaction (pic related) ended with Man winning, but majority his of forces dying to route. So Man also turns AI.
>Try to finish game
>Suddenly the AI Agartha and AI Ryleh start tearing up my provinces, so I also quit too
>Nobody wins
5 HOURS WELL SPENT
test.blitzserver.net/matches/view/539

51, but also 42, 36 and 9.

That honestly looks like it should've been Marverni's. What killed all the piggies?

>elves are literally child killers

Remove elves REMOVE ELVES.

are those ancient ones evo bait?

Nah, they're for the +1 morale.

So, I've gotten requests to improve the following nations:

EA Ctis, TNN, Yomi, Ur, MA Oceania, MA Eriu.

I'll note that TNN, Ctis, Yomi, and Eriu (especially Yomi) are performing above the mininum win threshold I used to evaluate nations for changes, but am still interested in hearing suggestions.

TNN needs Ri to have a point, but is pretty well off otherwise. No clue if you already did something about that.

Eriu doesn't need to be improved so much as it needs something to set itself apart from TNN.

Yomi needs some way to not utterly implode when faced with anti-demon weapons in order. Either some summon or recuitable that isn't trash and either isn't a demon or doesn't have chaos power, or some way to push turmoil effectively. Right now, Yomi is fine up until they get horribly hard-countered, so they wreck newbies and fold to veterans.

you know what they say

TNN is extremely strong, no idea who suggested a buff...

C'tis has good troops and look fine to me. Perhaps making their sacreds useful would work.

Oceania needs land shapes with extra attacks.

Ur I have no idea, gore attack? Better troop stats?

Eriu needs a decent recruit anywhere mage.

The thing about TNN is the same problem Man and Eriu have which is just that A/N is unimpressive.

They have tools. They can do air elementals and T strikes midgame and they have assassins and thugs and they're elves, so they can mass-raid (albeit at a high cost, because, again, elves). They have better research than Vanheim already, so it's not like it's just Vanheim-but-worse like Helheim was. It's unsurprising that they manage to find wins.

Yomi has big glaring weaknesses, but I wouldn't say they're weak per sé. I may be a bit biased because one of those Yomi wins is mine, but I don't think they need a big boost. They're just awkward and have a big disadvantage against certain opponents. If I were to change anything it would be to remove Chaos Recruitment from their units and give them a corresponding reduction in cost instead, but I guess that might not be thematic. Also, making their Bandit and Bakemono troops less awful would give them an alternative to spamming overpriced demon troops and would help Shinuyama as well (and they need the buff a lot more than Yomi does, IMO)

I haven't played the others enough to comment on them.

>EA Yomi and TNN
Fuck off, Malakal and Carlix. It's not nations' fault that your teams are BTFO.

>Fuck off, Malakal and Carlix. It's not nations' fault that your teams are BTFO.
They're not the ones asking. Don't be a dick.

>Not knowing the latest memes
You're getting old, sum1.

Malakal has not been one of the people pushing for big buffs for yomi. The most he suggested was giving them a road in their starting fort.

TNN was only suggested after I pointed out they've been comparable to eriu and ea Ctis in performance. I don't remember who suggested them, but I'm 99% sure it wasn't Carlix.

Unless you were just shot posting, in which case, sorry.

He was shitposting.

Agartha can we have a talk in the steam chat?

As for Yomi:
1. Their mages seem fine, a bit D focused but whatever.
2. The troops need to be able to do something in order, I stopped recruiting them as soon as I could.
3. The 'high' end oni troops are useless and horribly overpriced. How about giving them armor? I mean oni generals are heavily armored, so are dai onis, why cant Yomi have heavily armored heavy onis? That would give them a niche plus maybe give a reason to not go sloth3 every time.

why didn't you ask for someone for subbing instead of having them AI? i was ready to play and in chat.

What about making Yomi champion Unrest? Giving events for Yomi's lands to make Unrest increase income, and make their troops naturally increase it?

The downside is resources, which gives prod a thing, and the inability to recruit at 100 Unrest, which is a pretty big problem and either needs to be just unilaterally removed (ehich can be done) or disabled for just Yomi (which I don't know if it can or not).

Yomi doesn't need prod to begin with.

this wouldn't have been a problem if you wished for telkhines instead.

Holy damn why do people keep shitposting with their names on? Is domg fucking retarded?

Ok, EA C'tis - Early game they're weak to a bless rush, but they can expand fine with national units.
Midgame they do the skelly spam and they do it well
Late game they try to get into tarts.

So here's what I see as their weaknesses -
Their diversity is limited in that they don't have E or A, which are borderline mandatory for battlefield buffs.

Skellyspam has answers in every nation, and you know that it's coming when you see C'tis because it's by far the best battlemagic that C'tis can deploy.

Unlike MA C'tis, it's a little bit more difficult to get quagmire and foul vapors up (still something you use, of course, but you need to work out boosters or a communion whereas MA C'tis just kinda has it).

While tarts are great, you need your pretender or empowerment to actually get it.

Their earlygame is somewhat vulnerable.

They want too much out of their pretender - an expander can help get them through their weak early game, and since they rely on building just lots of infantry units to expand, the early boost snowballs to make their expansion feel MUCH better thanks to the additional resources you get in the first few turns.

They might also want some diversity from their pretender since, while EA has more neat indies than other eras, C'tis's absences are very noticeable.

And, as mentioned earlier, if you do make it to the late game as C'tis and don't have the help of your pretender for it, Tart production is very, very expensive and you won't be able to leverage astral as well to help you out as you would if your pretender can make you rings.

Anyways, here are my suggestions -
Give them an A summon before faerie queens. The couatl might be a good place to put this, since they have a different couatl spell from Mictlan already and MA Mictlan's couatl dudes do have A. Alternatively, give them a new, lower-level couatl summon with A.

Give them a sacred D summon. Maybe a mass Tomb Wyrm spell with D/N? Something to give them an option other than skelly sp

It's always nice with some bandit archers with flaming arrows and they need resources.

The quoted post was sum1, though. You doctored the name into the wrong spot.

Also the dude you were calling Malakal yesterday wasn't Malakal.

H-how am I a meme?

>Relax, you're doing fine!

You're a meme for me.

I'm really happy on what you did with EA R'lyeh, they feel great now.
But about going on land with your polypal spawns...
Is there a way? A reverse Theti's blessing?

also i dont see a reason why Androleths shouldn't be sacred.

I like this couatl idea, though I don't know if I like it for later ages of Ctis. Mass flight tomb chariots seem unpleasant. I'm not fond of the sacred summon idea.

One thing I'm considering is giving them a national discount on certain generic death rituals.

Why do people keep forgetting to take their names off when memeposting?

Anyways, Oceania -

Oceania is STRAIGHT garbage. Their magic access is bad, their troops are bad, their mages are either insanely expensive or literally A1W1 no randoms on land, and their sacreds have TWO attacks per square with no additional ways of killing things. Oceania needs sweeping changes to be a decent nation. Personally, I liked how Ohlmann gave them some blood access, since they need to actually hold land provinces to use it. I don't remember what all else he did to them in UW expanded

>also i dont see a reason why Androleths shouldn't be sacred.
They're freaky genetic experiment slaves, not sacred warriors.

>I like this couatl idea, though I don't know if I like it for later ages of Ctis. Mass flight tomb chariots seem unpleasant. I'm not fond of the sacred summon idea.
Well, EA C'tis seems to have more of a nature link than LA. Maybe give them more in that line then. Some sort of new sky serpent, maybe.

Also, this isn't really something that will be a serious buff for C'tis, but the lore on their mages is all about them going into the underworld and coming back. Maybe give C'tis a national cheaper twice-born ritual that makes lizard wights.

But Androdai are freaky enough to be sacred?
?????

I don't think Malakal even plays dota.

Androdai are vessels for Aboleths to deposit their minds into. They preach to the humans about serving the fishmasters. They're both priests and the most sacred that a humanoid can be.

Also, apparently the difference between gibodai (sacreds) and giboleths (nonsacred) is that gibodai are fed sacred nutrients by the mothers. This is also what androdai get. Since androleths don't drink the sacred juice that androdai do, they don't get to be sacred.

Okay, I suppose this makes sense.

But they are inferior Olms as they are, and they only live 5 years.

Also, weird lore thing. I dislike how Abodai understand the will of the mothers, because the idea of having a sentient species incapable of communicating with itself was part of their 'weird alien' cool.

Polyps spawns should be semiamphibious. If they aren't, I fucked up.
Ohlmann gave blood to ea Oceania . I don't think he did this for ma.

Oh, thought we were talking about EA. MA is basically the same nation with the same problems, but at least they have some usable armored units.

They aren't in Kingofbullies, but that game started a lot of time ago.

I'm dying to get into a new game as EA rlyeh again.

I guess? They're also recruitable from all coasts whereas olms require caves, but not a fort. Agartha and R'lyeh are very different nations, even if they both have mindblasters. I like the fact that androleths require resources to make sloth less of a no-brainer dump, but given the limits to their recruitment and their other limitations (MM1, short lifespan) I'd be down with giving them a reduced gold cost.

Guess I was wrong. I'm still not Malakal, though.

Army of Fog helps against Earthquake, right? That's pretty out of reach for me at the moment but it's probably the most accessible counter I have. Other than just walking into the Earthquake trap, which is what I'm thinking about doing right now. What can you really do against Earthquake, beyond Army of X and Mass Flight? Assuming you have a lot of very low HP/prot units.

Er, Fog Warriors*. I always get that wrong.

yes, it should protect against the first instance of damage.

i think it is an attack roll of 13, so having more than 13 defense helps. it should be physical so ethereal works too.
protection should still decrease the damage by a slight bit so army of gold/lead are good too.And of course stuff like will o fates.

EQ is 8 AP damage, so Army of Foo practically negates it. Even Mass Prot is enough to make it tickle rather than fatal.

>yes, it should protect against the first instance of damage.
Also, EQ isn't 'magic' damage for the purposes of mistform, so unless it gets a very lucky DRN roll, EQ won't even pop the fog warriors.

Abysia of Peace&Harmyoni mentioned wanting bane venom charm for his contracts/fire gems.
i will be able to craft them in one turn and i am interested...shall we setup a deal?

TheNewCool Abysia, what the hell are you even doing?

Sincerely, squids.

Fucking Up, probably. Haven't really had a chance to look into the newest turn all that much, to what are you referring?

Sadly, there's a 50/50 chance I'll be entirely subsumed by Caelum next turn.

The good news is apparently Malakal is in the game, and is in a strong position to win on a better fucking nation than nonsummoded Aby (I really did underestimate just how much all the changes made a difference). So everyone say thank you Caelum for that one.

And no, before you ask, you don't get to know who he is playing as.

>Better position
I see meaty cocks in all his orifices.

uh interesting.
my guess is they might be either fomoria ( who is devouring agartha it seems)...or R'lyeh? i don't know malakal enough to understand if he loves sick UW stuff.

Ur needs better troops. Enkidu are awful holy shit.

Right. What's the point of buff paths without attack density? They're basically goat dudes so give them a headbutt and kick.

giving them additional intrinsic attacks is a solution. do you see any other way that doesn't include additionala ttacks, with spells or troop changes, that we could make buffing size 3 units a good idea?

So this is what happened from some turns ago:

You have blood vortex casted and pyre.
You cast looming hell and pyre gets deleted (unlucky of yours)
You cast Blood vortex again (probably overcasting it more)
Then you cast Astral Corruption and your overcasted blood vortex gets deleted
Then the turn after that Looming hell and Astral Corruption both disappear and you cast Wrath of god

Just what happened there?
Did you try to forge robe of the magi or some other crosspath blood item with your AC and Looming hell caster and he got killed by horrors?

But even if it was that, why would you cast Wrath of god while in AC? Unless you have a AS crosspath immortal, which i don't think you have.

Why are people so mad at namefags?

fag.

It's not that hard to get non immortal global through AC.
Immortals are needed for long term casting.

Oh yeah, Fucking Up.

Nah see the plan was I intended to use cheap blood overcasts to take down your globals and give me a chance to get up some of mine uncontested. What ended up happening was me wasting a bunch of slaves and turns and only hitting my own globals. Also probably giving you plenty of gems through Arcane Nexus.

Need people for a testing blitz, someone gets to be Yomi with new added features.

I assume you're looking for experienced Yomiers?

Blood slaves dont work for nexus, neither pearls do.

We went with breaking the "don't play the nation you modded" rule of fair play. But yes that would have been great.

Oh huh, I knew blood slaves didn't go through, but I thought pearls did. Good to know, the last thing I need is for R'lyeh to have even more of an insane gem lead over me.

Honestly, are you still having fun? because if we are keeping the game alive it would be great that at least one of the three players left enjoys it.

Hah, I've actually been getting back into it recently now that I'm having to seriously fend off the attacks from you two without my giant demon stack. Plus I actually do have a victory plan in sight and just need to make sure I don't lose before it happens.

Plus, as much as I hate so much of how I've played this game, it has been rather enlightening. I'd like to close it out just for the experience of it, otherwise I would've quit a while ago.

That's what I mean. Do you think that domkilling the world for 90 turns is fun?

It's tedious and annoying for all of us. Even you.

I mean, yeah kinda. These last several turns have been more active and less pointless than almost any other over the course of this game for me. It's stupid and has taken too long, I'll definitely agree but at this exact moment I don't hate it. Probably only because in my immediate recent memory I've had a few small victories but no stunningly massive losses. That really determines a lot of the enjoyment for me, which is a bit of a shame.

Don't die. Have some dominions RNG.

Left side: two fully geared tarts and a golem.