/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev Geenral

Thursday Night Edition

Soundcloud is back.

> Current Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Current Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
/agdg/ SC: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/2d-game-creation
unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting/scripts-as-behaviour-components?playlist=17117
itch.io/jam/nightly-game-jam-12
pastebin.com/SwEmReL9
youtube.com/watch?v=dgFy0Xkz2xw
youtu.be/WFbOcqvHK6c?t=434
hastebin.com/otuzoyohud.avrasm
youtube.com/watch?v=MtdupS0gRt0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw pressured to finish game become western civilization crumbles

Played some demodau gayms decided by a random number generator. Here some reviews for the whodevs.

>You are a torpedo AI

This is actually a lot of fun but I only downloaded it because I chose games at random. "Don't judge a book by its cover" is bullshit. If it doesn't grab attention people won't download it/buy it. Consider making a better intro/cover.

>Vampires bit

Absurdly cute and the graphics are wonderful, but the gameplay itself felt lacking. shitty controls, easy to get stuck, lacks variety. It felt like a basic pacman clone with a cute girl. If the controls were cleaned up, levels actually had some variety, and there were actual powerups or something it could be a better game.

>Rocket Xeno

Opposite problem of Vampires bit. Gameplay is fun and hard mode actually took multiple tries to beat as hard modes should. Interesting mechanics and I can see this selling on Android with more polish easily. Problem is the game lacks character, and some of the graphics like the background and explosions are poor.

>Ball Run

I'm guessing this is a sandbox game since I couldn't see any real goal. In which case the concept is alright but the controls are horrible. Consider defaulting clicking on an object to making it move that object. The UI as it stands is very unintuitive.

>Clean slate

No idea what I am supposed to do here buddy. Consider adding a tutorial or something as this just feels like random code using default unity physics.

>Clarent

This is awesome. Keep doing what you are doing m8.

That OP is so ugly

oh god i made a mistake

Is not, but I was working on a nes looking Classicvania some time ago and I never finished it, maybe I'll go back to it someday.

Haven't finished it yet, the dress is a pain in the ass to draw.

Your game looks real nice, i was planning on doing something like that, a lunch-break roguelite / smash tv clone

Are you doing this in game maker?

Will aggydaggy.com ever be finished?

I haven't seen BLD post in a while.

FUCK ANIME

started in gm8, later ported over to gms

it's a painful experience. would recommend just doing it in gms if you're serious about making a game.

I LOVE ANIMES

Freeleased 2D or 3D cute girl when?

Too late m8

haven't dev'd in awhile but I'm back.

also I'm streaming
twitch/vandiest

Feedback is always apreciated, thanks user.

here come dat boi

How do I resist the urge to redo my code because of annoying bugs? Debugging is fucking boring.

Im in doubt in what to use, unreal4 or unity or godot, i want something that gives me more than only gamedev skills, like unreal gives me c++ and unity c#, godot is getting c# soon but not soon enough, probably i should just forget it.

Would you like to do even more work later? Fix it now

Thank you for posting best girl

I'm just going to do my game as quick and dirty and then do a refactor when everything is about done.
The pre-optimization whining has some truth to it. I wasted far too much time trying to make things perfect, when they'll be better if I do it later.

>i want something that gives me more than only gamedev skills

go with UE4 C++ then, Unity's C# isn't up-to-date last I checked, and like you said Godot doesn't have C# yet

Hey senpais,
Still getting started with Gamedev, watching Unity tutorials the last couple of days, mostly these guys unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/2d-game-creation under live sessions.

It's exciting when I see how simple adding colliders and importing assets is, but then when it comes to movement or anything else they open up C# and start scripting.

Even though I'm doing my best to pay attention here, I feel like there's no way I'll ever be able to remember all of these variables/Terms and how they interact with each other.

Should I just be looking up all of these and staring them down til I understand them? It's worrying since I'm not sure what the best way to go about learning the scripting side.

So far I've been making checklists of things that I really don't understand as I go through videos.

Any help is appreciated.

Your sprite lacks black borders. Interesting.

You should be learning C# first.

thanks senpai, i'll make something and post it soon

unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting/scripts-as-behaviour-components?playlist=17117

>all these fun ideas in my head
>meanwhile I'm stuck doing boring back-end stuff that I just can't nail properly

>>all these fun ideas in my head

Such as?
Come on, share them with your friends at /agdg/.

tonight's theme is PORTALS

itch.io/jam/nightly-game-jam-12

you have 9 hours for this game jam

i'll be participating too

Holy fuck, this game's pretty. Is it open world?

>Making very dark backgrounds so the character don't get lost in the colors
You are a genius.
I hope you keep posting progress, your game really interested me

Thanks! Looking forward to it!
Things might take awhile. It's not easy building a following of supporters. People want to feel that you are reliable with your content. At least that's how I think anyways.
Whatever you do, keep up the good work, man.

I love you, Thank you

A bubble enemy that first accumulates goo inside it, the bigger it gets the most likely it pops.
Implementing Bomberman bombs.
Fire spreading.
Etc

>A bubble enemy that first accumulates goo inside it, the bigger it gets the most likely it pops.

I like that idea.

sorta kinda

thanks

I suppose I love you too.

Could you link me to the playlist you're currently using?

Is there a way I could shorten this code?
pastebin.com/SwEmReL9

Its purpose is to make an event invokeable easily, but still give the class the event sits on control over how it wants to react. The event is invoked, which triggers a handler to respond, which fires off an a coroutine (for if theres any async need).

It just feels like a lot, despite being wrapped in #region.. thoughts?

You're making Bomberman?

Also I just realized rocketxeno is the only mobile game in dd9 and it's by some whodev that never posts here. why does agdg not like mobile gaming?

here's a hint you really don't have to remember the variables, learn c# instead and just get a general feel of how the dev is structuring his game. but whatever works best for you, I guess, as long as you are learning.

Sokovival

posted it in twitch chat

Cynical dosh is pretty much the only reason to make mobile games.

Who sits at home dreaming of making that amazing mobile game, literally probably no one.

You learn coding by doing it.

Alternatively use gamemaker and follow the tutorials. Gamemaker is a good intro to programming as the language is simplified java with a much lighter curve. Then once you master GML c# may make more sense.

Thanks lad, good luck on the devving

I hope none of you were working on a truck game.

Someone was modelling a truck yesterday

Euro Truck Simulator devs on suicide watch

1. most everyone here is using Gamemaker or Unity. Unity android export is shitty. Gamemaker android export is good but costs $$$.

2. It's way harder to design a good mobile game since you are limited to mouse/touch controls.

>I don't want to provoke you or 'bully' you, I'm just really curious about these choices.
Your questions are legit, no problem.
I will write a full answer, and so there will be several posts.

>Why is there so much references in the speeches? Many of them are memes, and I don't understand why did you put them in?
>Especially at the intro scene. This could be a very trippy, even thought provoking opening sequence, but the immersion just breaks with those lines.
God is a Cube is a puzzle game, which means that it's very hard to tie the story to the actual gameplay. In a puzzle game, you are supposed to follow instructions, and the way you complete the level usually bears no meaning.

I made it so everything is a lie.

You are following instructions. You are rewarded with golden cubes. But by doing so, you are accomplishing what people who control the instructions want you to make.
After a while, you discover that you can not just gather golden cubes in each level, but you can avoid them. But to do so, you need to learn the rules and the gameplay by following the instructions.

So you will have to first collect all golden cubes to learn how the system is working, to make it like they successfully programmed you to follow the instructions. That's your first playthrough.
Then, thanks to what you learned, during your second playthrough, you will be able to find the secret paths in each level and finally break free to get the true ending.

That's what I mean when I talk about tying the scenario and the gameplay. In a game where you are supposed to follow instructions, I need to make it so following the instructions itself is part of the scenario. So not following the instructions is also part of the scenario.

(1/3)

Mobile games are pretty pathetic imo

Besides, they don't earn any money for devs. It's a race to the bottom. Low quality games earning low revenue which creates more low quality games.

There's a game about jumping on top of crazy speeding trucks that gets frequently shilled on gamedev subreddits.

I think being able to build the game visually in unity is really helpful, when I tried learning C+++ and C# before I never really got to anything visual, and I assume it's all done with number calculations anyway if you aren't using an engine.

(I mainly just made simple calculators and never anything of value :x , So hopes are high with unity)

Now what about this opening video? Why so many memes?

youtube.com/watch?v=dgFy0Xkz2xw

Remember the rage you feel when you see one of those shitty video game translations? And the even greater rage when you realize those translations are voluntarily censored or manipulated by people who want to push an agenda? And the even-even greater rage when those people are trying to look like they are your buddy because they use some maymay?

In God is a Cube, there are only cubes. In order to convey the feeling of betrayal, I have to use a way to make you feel the betrayal.
"Something is wrong with this cutscene"
"Why those sentences?"
"Why those memes?"
The true dialogues are in fact the little symbols above each line. They are voluntarily badly translated. Finishing the game for the first time will give you the true meaning of those sentences.
By the way, the opening cutscene shows several 3D structures which will be used later in cutscenes. Those cutscenes will start like abstract scenes, and will become more and more concrete.

>(1/3)

kys please

I love you for being clever enough to make something like that that sounds awesome.

How come they don't earn revenue? Is there an expensive fee to keep them on the store?

nah I like him and his game

if only he had a #Nice bastille day celebration haha

(3/3)
(cont)
(cont)

>I also don't understand the girl. She is cute, but she does not match the rest of the game.
A Mr Tutorial (or Miss Tutorial) is not part of the game. A Mr Tutorial is using words such as "Mouse" or "Keyboard" and those words bear no sense in the world of the game, no matter the way you use.
That's why I want this character to be disconnected from the rest of the game.

This character is also a meta-element of the story itself, as a way to convey the instructions you are supposed to follow. It's an element conceived to be both appealing to you (she is cute) and yet making you feel like there is something wrong (she doesn't match the rest of the game).
The game will go further than the game content itself, as it will contain some criticism of the society. And this criticism will be partly expressed by the game element which is not really part of the game itself, this little girl.

Do not think I'm revealing everything. The game has actually quite a lot of level of readings, and is connected to a lot of other theories and principles. See pic related.

>inb4 nobody will ever acknowledge all this stuff
Like tears in rain, but with cubes.

Interesting concepts but it's not communicated well in the marketing at all, I guess you will have to rely on word of mouth.

I want whatever it is you're having

Personally because I like pressing buttons/keys, lots of them, and phones are touchscreen. I ported my first game to mobile as a test though. But it wasn't worth uploading anywhere

Give me a second.

are you actually kojima in indie disguise or what? was death stranding just a cover?

Ragdoll? Gibs?

Whats the best point to put your game on greenlight? When you have enough for a trailer? When you have enough for a demo? When you have enough for a release?

I'm on it.

You learn the concepts, it's totally okay to forget syntax. This applies to both Unity and coding in general.

I haven't used Unity in a year so i'm having to remind myself of a lot of things to work on my game (printing to log, collisions, triggers, movement, mouselook, graphics, raycasting, scenes, pretty much everything). Google is your friend.

Yes, when you have no talent, you can always sell on shock value alone, right googs?

I love googum!

Having your game ready for release is the best, so you can make a trailer with all the best parts of It. Is pretty complicated to catch people attention if you only have a level completed.

YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY THE ISLAMIC TRUCK OF TOLERANCE

______________¶___
|religion of peace ||l “”|””\__,_
|______________|||__|__|__|]
(@)@)*********(@)(@)**(@)

POST THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD OR THE PEACE TRUCK WILL NEVER COME TO YOUR COUNTRY

When you're just about done and to the point where you're squashing the last round of bugs and cleaning things up.

too many people make the mistake of putting their shit on GL the second they have a demo. Not taking into account dev time vs irrelevancy with each passing day.

The sad part is that it probably going to suck anyway.

>are you actually kojima in indie disguise or what?
Cube Chan is my Raiden. You will have to wait several games for her to become truly cool. And everything will be explained by nanomachines, of course.
Hence the actual trailer "Nanomachines Rising".

>was death stranding just a cover?
I'm sure you can take my name, a few random words, and find an anagram which will explain everything.

Okay, googum.

>windows xp
Now I know you're an absolute madman

I expect great things from this, not even being facetious, you legitimately managed to pique my interest

How can I achieve player rotation in unity with a virtual joystick?

This is what I want to achieve: youtu.be/WFbOcqvHK6c?t=434 and this hastebin.com/otuzoyohud.avrasm is my virtualjoystick script (intended for android/ios touch screens).

The virtualjoystick's movement works perfectly (just not the rotation)

Sadly I still haven't figured out what to replace if (Input.>>>Getkey(Keycode.RightArrow

>standard luna
>not royale

there is no hope for him

youtube.com/watch?v=MtdupS0gRt0

I love you~

Are there any object oriented scripting languages? I want to use a scripting language so I can make changes and not have to recompile, but the idea of programming without objects terrifies me.

None of the games here earn revenue. Lets be realistic now.

why would you need one?

scripting is for behaviours, there is no sense in scripting entire objects

Why are there so many aggy games with frog MC's?

That's not enough reason to move to a shitty platform desu

>anime poster
Remember when you said you would make an anime game once Vulkan came out?

Because sooner or later, they all croak

>no one botheres me here
sold if it were a little larger.

lol

But I love googum...

>that girl at 3:30

jesus christ please someone fix her teeth