Resume Critique Thread

Hey guys, I'm going into my 5th year (still undergrad, double majoring in finance and accounting for the CPA requirement of 150 hours).

My GPA is kinda shit, 3.33 overall, like 3.13 accounting, 3.5 finance (which is okay). I'm assuming I'm probably barred from any Big 4 Firm positions, but since I plan to have my CPA by next summer, I don't think I'll be completely fucked.

Anywho, gimme tips on my resume. Also, what kind of job / salary can I expect with a CPA and a few previous internships? I plan to move to CO, probably Denver, CO Springs, or Fort Collins.

Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

math.nyu.edu/financial_mathematics/content/04_current/class2015/MathFinanceResBookOct2015.pdf
visualcv.com/forumchanum
visualcv.com/zolxfjqt4oa/pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use Times New Roman 12 pt.

Be prepared with an explanation for your period of unemployment.

I've always heard you're not supposed to do that because it seems like you didn't put thought into your resume.

Also, what period? April-Graduation? That will be fairly easy since I had a trip abroad, and my schedule is kinda fucked.

Some off-handed thoughts, without going into too much detail:
- Use Times New Roman or another serifed font.
- Abbreviate: B.S., B.B.A.
- Good work experience bullet points. I'd see if you can't make them more terse and maybe add some space between the bullets, though not a full line.
- Good shortening of the food place work.
- I'd try to get better extracurriculars or at least sell the finance society one better
- Kill "PowerPoint, Word, and Excel," and just mention it quickly in relation to the other more intense programs you have experience with.

More broadly: You better have a really, really good reason why it took you 5 years. A 3.33 GPA isn't outright awful, but it looks bad that you're taking 5 years when many people get out in 4 (and sometimes doubling in 3). In other words, if I was a hiring manager, I'd see that and wonder why you weren't able to get better grades with the extra time you had - think about it and come up with a reason that isn't "lol stress"

To be clear, w/r/t the other post, you'll want to explain the periods of unemployment, not mention them on your resume. You'll do fine.

If you're in the Midwest join NFA

After Jimmy John's and before Steak and Shake.

Well, I'm getting 150 hours in 4.5 years instead of 5. So technically I'm graduating early cause of hella summer classes.

-Changed the first 2 things
-Bullets are now 1.15 spacing instead of 1.0
-Idk what else to do with finance society desu. I don't really do anything with the group at all but one of my best professor friends sponsors it and I've paid dues like once. I could lie and put accounting club on there too? Idk if they'd ever find out that I'm bullshitting.
-Okay

Before SnS I was 16, After Jimmy Johns there was only 6 months or so. I don't think employers care too much what I was doing when I was 19 since I'll be 22/23 when I'm looking for jobs. But I'll come up with something in case.

Always be able to answer the questions. Because the interviewer is often looking at how you answer the questions as much as what the answer is.

Given your age, it's not really an important question, admittedly, but the interviewer may look at your resume before he knows your age.

Alright, here's the updated version:

I'm kind of bullshitting on the finance society thing. I only went like 3 times but I do plan to attend a Wall Street Prep financial modeling seminar which I'll probably put on my resume under education.

Anyway, here it is.

But I may change the font because for some reason it looks retarded.

I essentially copied this except without the big page margins, more content, and taking out the "not my cup of tea". what does Veeky Forums think of this layout?

The real question is, when did the critique ever stop?

>haven't had a job in 5 years
Would traveling every summer qualify as a valid excuse?

i prefer to stick to more traditional style
alternative styles are better suited for "creative" jobs

Change "patients" to "clients", shorten some of your job roles that are really basic shit ie. You dont need to clarify that your journalised depreciation.

Do you have any extra curriculars at all? You really need that if you want this resume to stand out

Don't listen to anyone who says to use something that isn't Times. It's the go-to font for professionals and anything outside of it is usually disgusting and reserved for art students who have no need of a resume because there are no jobs they are qualified for.

I'd also consider 1 bullet point for your unrelated work experience mentioning your development of working in teams, communicating with staff/customers etc., your basic soft skill bullshit.

You really need to get a leadership role in an EC club though desu
That is the most horrific thing I have seen.

You will never get hired anywhere with this abomination.

Please remove that comma from your objective statement

Objectives are worthless as fuck.
As a business focused student try to talk more about Problem>Action>result. Like, "Investment summaries were piling up for company x so i stepped in, learned how to work with the current process, resulting in processing $11MM worth of investment summaries."

"Commu-
nication skills." "Not my cup of tea."
This is a troll resume, right?

Skills on bottom. Literally anyone can write that they know 20+ languages.

I'd love a full-tim e position. What are those again?

my CV is 3 pages long. Will I ever get a job?

why is it 3 pages long? if you're under 50, cut it to max 2 pages

Mine looks like this also. It is non-devisive. You don't need to make a statement with your resume if your resume makes a statement.

If I'm hiring, I would see this and instantly think there must be a compelling reason not to hire you. You're trying to overcompensate with a resume like this.

i wrote alot of shit

Should I break up work dates if it's not continuous?
I go to college, but I have work as a substitute teacher during breaks. It's technically ongoing, as they call you in everyday, but it isn't mandatory to go in for work, so I only go during breaks.

So should I put it in as three separate work sessions or just put the whole year in?

suggestions? thanks guys

change at-risk to nigger

>@yahoo.com
Into the trash it goes

Thanks for the enlightened advice

What email domains are preferable?

>high school
You're a fucking senior in college now

Gmail, more used + trusted

Also your own domain would be the best. So [email protected]

Gotcha, that makes sense. Also I'm graduated already, did I not make that clear in the resume?

Thanks. I don't have my own domain but I'll make a gmail account

>Also I'm graduated already, did I not make that clear in the resume?
I didn't really read it that in detail
I just scanned for obvious flaws

he means take your bullshit high school accomplishments off your adult, professional resume. no one cares

Resumes / CVs are usually scanned into a searchable database these days. Make sure it includes whatever buzzwords the job is looking for.

Anyone got any ideas? Not getting many bites

math.nyu.edu/financial_mathematics/content/04_current/class2015/MathFinanceResBookOct2015.pdf

every resume in this thread is pure garbage.

use this format (but experience goes above education if you arent applying for entry level role)

That's all well and good but what should grown ups with work history use?

just expand the experience section with more detail and reduce the other sections?

grown-up stuff sure is hard

Give me a break I've been on the vodka since lunch time. Ok I'll give it a shot, thanks.

heyyy user thanks. i'm gonna use this.

I don't have these fuckin' stellar credentials but this formatting will make my pleb IT-related shit look a bit more professional.

here is mine critique me please
visualcv.com/forumchanum

right giving it another shot how about this

visualcv.com/zolxfjqt4oa/pdf

Looks good, but it's REALLY long. Ideally, you would want a one page resume. The more pages you have, the more chance you have of your resume just getting crumpled up and thrown into the trash.

>anyone can write they know 20+ languages
Yeah, until they try to send you to China, or south america.

yeah its my fucking volunteering part. I'm not a professional so I don't think I have enough to showcase with just one page. I apply to grad roles and they like to see that shit. I'm gonna make another one just one page.

How about the dates?? The format isn't consistent I think but I'm not sure how I should go about that.

You need way fewer TLAs, it doesn't make you looks more qualified and it's annoying to read
Don't put down specific things you did at your job, you can bring that up in interviews as an example, but here it makes it look like you only did one thing of importance in 4 years.
The skills aren't specific enough, what did you do with payroll, finance etc. You may also want to get some more recent qualifications, I don't even know if I'd bother putting on 9 GCSE passes from half a decade ago on, and it could mask the now 4 month gap in the CV

Ok thanks. Gonna be hard to sill fit it all on 1 page though.

Keep in mind this is country dependent. I got two intern roles with a 3 page resume and I've seen most people have at least 2 or 3 pages here (Aus). One page would be considered a little bit unusual.

Looks like your fucked man

A few thoughts:
>Take Steak 'n Shake off there. It is old and irrelevant. You could also take off Jimmy John's, but it is more recent and shows you can do customer service, so its not terrible to keep it.
>The font looks weird. Times New Roman is always a good choice.
>Don't put your GPA down because it isn't impressive. Some big firms will ask you about it, but smaller companies probably won't, so no need to advertise it.
>Write "Expected Graduation" so people realize you haven't graduated yet and you didn't make a typo on the date.
>Is the finance society something through your college? If so, maybe put the college name with it because I have no idea what Finance Society is.
>The "Objective" section can be kind of redundant if you're applying for specific jobs and/or include a cover letter.

I am highly involved in hiring interns at my small consulting firm, so I see a lot of resumes. Overall, this doesn't look too bad. Its good that you already have a couple of relevant jobs.

>The top part sounds like something that should go in a cover letter, not on the resume.
>Visually, I don't like how it splits into columns. Just put education above work experience.
>High school really isn't relevant once you get into college, get rid of that

r8

Yep I'm in NZ and i;ve heard up to three is fine.