/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Alex Smith and Patric Mueller have joined the Nethack dev team: nethack.org/#News
Expect great things when the next release comes out in 2032.

Pochengband 5.0.0 Comp (Until July 28):
Sexy Draconian Monk
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

Infra Arcana 18.2 released: sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/downloads
Release Notes: raw.githubusercontent.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/v18.2/assets/release_history.txt

New Demon Release introduces Relic upgrades: demon.ferretdev.org/devblog/71-upgrade-complete/

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/SgMJ7Xwh

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iY57ErBkFFE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

FUCKING JEWS SHIT

Woah user.

poz my jew ass

First for chei. Remember to take it easy.

heh

Which roguelike developer has the worst political beliefs? I assume it's somebody involved in DDA.

full kevin

Gozag did nothing wrong.

Right on the nose.

>worst political beliefs
That's pretty subjective unless they believe in something comically evil like using puppy skulls for clothing.

or censorship

My depths didn't spawn with a portal to pandemonium. What do?

>like using puppy skulls for clothing

or removing mountain dwarves

>Knowledge is unnecessary for productivity.

go clear tomb:3

Okay.

It's not okay.

I'm not okay.

Conspiracy nuts and people who adopt a view only so they can fit in with a clique are exceptions, because they are based on lies rather than real belief.

fuck you guys

*I'M* okay as fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=iY57ErBkFFE

We must dissent.

Any new roguelike game on the horizon? Because it seems like this general never changes much on the supply of games.

>Conspiracy
Ya gotta define that a bit more solidly. Lumping every conspiracy together only makes the more sensible ones easier to silence.

nichest of the niche.

proper roguelikes are games of an age long gone, so its pretty rare to get devs interested in making them

Yes, my roguelike in 5 years

Vanilla bagel came out awhile ago. Its ok.

Ironically, it'll be refered to as "roguelite" and "indie dev garbage". This thread has a huge hate boner for new roguelikes.

New games are coming out all the time, but the most popular games get the most developer time, and thus the most improvements. In 10 years this thread will still be about DCSS half the time.

Alpha centauri roguelike, WHEN?

cant speak for the thread but what I hate are shit games

tacking on "roguelike elements" doesn't make a game better. fucking devs.

new roguelikes that are actually roguelikes are received fine though, what you said is total bullshit.

Vanilla bagel is a roguelike in every sense of the word, but the thread imploded when I played a bit and posted about it. Same with Dredmor back in the day. The second a new commercial roguelike comes out, its hailed as complete shit and not a roguelike. Even games that weren't monetized are now considered awful because they're on steam or whatever. Its dumb and I hate the random vitriol the newer stuff gets.

you are wrong.

bagel is hated cause of whoever it was that kept spamming it trying to be funny. also it costs nearly 10 bucks and has fuck all content.

dredmor is just awful, and to make the game semi playable you need the dlc. fuck that.

qud went commercial, and i cant remember seeing anyone complain about that, except the odd retard who doesnt know how to pirate.

hell, tome even managed to go semi commercial and no one bitches about that. despite the games flaws, the system darkgod uses works great.

im done now. i do get where your coming from i just dont really agree

the thread got super obsessed with the "everyone who says vanilla bagel is a shill" meme for some reason

>at least 14 different "races" from the various factions
>as many backgrounds as you could come up with
>gear can come directly from the game
>end goal of retrieving "progenitor/planetmind-merge macguffin" and leaving writes itself
Can anybody tell me why this is a bad idea? Because i'm seriously curious why SMAC/SMAX isn't a god tier setting for an RPG of any description.

Man, I wasn't even trying to be funny when I was playing it, nor was I spamming it. I just thought the situation was ridiculous and treated as such. How do you even know it has fuckall content? Have you played it?

It's not medieval fantasy, and all roguelikes have to be medieval fantasy.

if you were just talking about the game, you arent the guy i mean who was spamming it. you probs got caught in the crossfire though

someone kept posting the same exact picture with some stupid one liner like "Have you tried out Vanilla Bagel? Fresh new graphics!" or whatever.

obviously some dickhead pretending to shill to stir the thread up (it worked) besides, I refuse to believe the actual devs would behave like that

How is Dredmor awful? It's just a little easy if you metagame.
This is exactly what the guy meant I think. Dredmor gets hated for no reason, other than maybe trying to be funny.

*all roguelikes have to be tolkien fantasy
if there aren't elfs and dorfs it isn't a roguelike

nice numbers, but no seriously dredmor is awful. the balance is retarded, so many useless skills, items variety is basically nonexistant, the gameplay itself is barebones as hell

not to mention you cant walk diagonally

its not the worst game, or even the worst roguelike, but when your game is almost entirely carried by the cheesy humor and artstyle (both subjective things) you're gonna get some varied opinions

i can never get into dredmore, it's just so sloooow

PRIME and Sword of the Stars: The Pit aren't medieval fantasy though.

so they aren't roguelikes

Checked.
But one is a nethack variant.

diablo 1 was inspired by nethack too

you're hilarious m8

>inspired by
and
>variant
are two different things you rascal you.

dota 2 is made in half life 2's source engine
but it isn't an fps

yes it is

a true fps has to be set in WW2 or later

dota has knights and gnomes and spooky ghosts, so it clearly has the wrong setting to be an fps

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

the way is shut

it was built by the memes, and the memes keep it

Curse the memes, and their children too. And their children, forever true.

>ywn be a sickly edain
Why live for more than 35 years?

Man I just can't play Wizards rather than Conjurers.
Sure the base wizard book is nice and full of utility, but if you don't find a book with fireball or iskenderun mystic blast ASAP you just can't kill anything with your imps by the time you get to dungeon 8 and then it just becomes an impossible game of trying to stair dance and flee until you inevitably get caught.

>you will never be an 7-headed storm troll too stupid to figure out how to wear more than 1 hat

Conjure flame -> magic missile
For stronger opponents
Hallway -> Conjure flame -> meph

Wiz is a hybrid start.

>ywn be a kobold, confused about whether you are a lizard or a dog

>ywn be a sexy naga prostrating yourself before a snail-covered altar, waiting for the divine power of chei to enter you

>Killing stuff with your imps
Naga, you're supposed to spam the fuck out of mephitic cloud and stab stuff with 0 skill spears or literally ANY venom weapon you find. Trick stuff into walking into your flames and tab them. Stuff like that. You're imps are literally meatshields for your scooby doo chases.

>0 skill
is this necessary on races other than mummy

No, but I've literally cleared D1-15 without stopping lair with the 0 skill mummy. user is just being a puss.

i mean the 0 skill part
non-mummy races should have enough xp to spare that they can put some levels in polearms if they want to

You misunderstand, friend. I agree completely.

Fucking dpeg.

That is some ridiculous damage. First time one shotting a greater mumy.

>thrash him like a brute
>bring him in closer
>slap him across the face
>followed up with squeezing him to death
Stop, you brute!

>40 AC
Damn, that is insane for a pode. How much do you have without statue form?

>40/50
>on an octopode

what the fuck

8 AC. I have a ring that gives +6 which really helped in the early game.

And 250 Hp in statue form. I wonder how much Dragon form would give him.

Didn't even think of it that way. Actually pretty funny.
Only problem is i don't have rCorr.
I'll get a screenshot if I survive tomb.

Very little is strictly necessary on races more powerful than mummy. But for mediocre players, a DEFE can have a great time comboing a branded spear with conjure flame at 0 skill.

And other guy's right: imps aren't fighters, they're butterflies.

>all those rings
are octopodes supposed to be the dragons of dcss? shit without rings but great with them?

I just like statue form and thought 8 rings with it would be fun.

they can't wear armor so they're kind of shit with rings too

unless you play as a transmuter so you can shapeshift your shitty octopus body into a statue or dragon

>Conjure flame -> magic missile -> run out of mana
ftfy

>Hey orc, wanna smoke some meth

what the fuck happened to ugly americans anyways

Still no rCorr

why the fuck is there an octopus in a uterus

I dunno man. I miss that show.

>ftw you find an altar of a non-faith decaying God on D:1

Dredmor is definitely a roguelike but also boring. The limited, unchanging animations get stale very quickly, you basically see the same items every run, none of the upgrades really feel rewarding, the barely scaling damage formulas make progression feel unsatisfying, etc

Literally how can i get to pandemonium if no portals spawned in the depths?

Impossible.

Octopodes are boneless and can thus fit through just about anything that isn't airtight.

You're right. It was hidden.

So, theoretically, an octopus could shove itself into a vagina and/or asshole?

Not seen many JAVs, have you?

I only know about eels in ass

>be my self
>playing nethack
>walk in to opulent throne room
>kill hobgblin
>decide to drink unidentified potion
>fall asleep
>get killed in my sleep

10/10 would kill myself again

Who are you quoting?

He stated that in the first line, moron.
He's obviously myself.

me too

Wait, are you he or myself?

You can't be myself since he is.

The thing that I feel to be me, is me.

I am nothing more than myself.

I want to FVCK Shinji.

Don't worry, user. Jiyva loves you.