/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Old Thread

It means only use one smelter for melt orders.

A stack of 5 (bone), an unforbidden stack of 1, or 25 per crossbow iirc. If you're making dense traps, give a bunch more people the mechanic labor. Once you finish arming set skill brackets on a couple mechanic workshops and leave make mechanisms on repeat to train them up.

When you code it and not a day before fampai.

Use custom professions to assign what you have them do and use nicknames to note special things like prefers steel, prefers x piece of armor, has high siege engineering or a really high agility/str/willpower/recuperation/etc. You can also use profession for general assignment and add mods to the nickname list. Use hauler for your noncombat dumpster bin and recruit for your combat dumpster bin. Reassign and rename anyone you need from that labor pool. You can train pretty much everything from scratch so it's not so much that you need to assign a skilled dorf to fill a hole from a death but that you just need to assign anyone.

Drop some craft shops and make a bunch of shit as fast as you can and you should be able to get enough dosh together. You can also mass produce your mechanisms and masonry furniture and sell the useless crap. It's not as lucrative though.

Always look on your neighbor screen on the embark planner and plan accordingly. Taking a proficient stone bone and/or wood crafter(s) paired with a gem cutter and a gem setter will provide you with a shit ton of 50 buck crafts and totems to trade if you can keep them supplied. You can also take platinum on embark with a metal crafter to make 40k out of crafts with charcoal and if you rush magma or take a lot of coal you can make a lot on maps with fire clay/kaolinite and sand+good tree density with clear glass. You can then decorate with bone, cut cheap gems, cut stone, and cut green glass to up value.

Or just take a bunch of sand, coal, sweet pod seeds, milk, and rpck nuts on embark. Make green glass corkscrews to sell, gather plants in the caverns, disable brewing sweet pods, use the bags to process bushes to leaves, make the milk into cheese and process pods to syrup. Skill up making biscuits then cheese caravans with roasts.

What you're aiming for is able to put out about 40-70k in trade goods in time for the second dwarven caravan. You can buy about that much in ores, bars, wood, gems, kaolinite, meltables then turn around and make about 50% more value with a good gem cutter, gem setter, bone carver, and metal crafter.

>Fire blob forgotten beast shows up
>Don't have constructed floor firebreaks up yet
>Have to burrow everyone inside and station my guards praying that my bait Giant Olm and 15 marksdwarves can handle it
>Swamp titan shows up, Whole surface guard is out of place cause they're inactive for post-caravan hauling
>They get there in time and kill it
>Come back to the cavern
>FB's missing
>So are my entrance cage traps???
>There's a patch of fire clay where the FB dies
YEEEEEEEEEEEES!

progress

When their training is active the damn dorf spend too much of their time socializing, dancing, praying etc. How do I make them stay in the barracks during the active months?

Yeah, they can turn their back, as an adventurer you can't, so for us if you have your shield out it is 100% block rate, for others they have to be at least pointing at the dragon (you can check by grabbing control of them and pulling up stealth view) before it will work.

>habbening.gif

Make sure they're set to train in the barracks? Are you sure they aren't just finishing their socializing

>all that work before he releases magic and mythos

hyped as fuck. but this is going to take a fucking age to come together, isn't it? a year or more I have to think, to my untrained eye this looks way bigger than the tavern update

>DF ripoff about to make millions
>Tarn still relies on donations

Did you read the combat reports to see if they were blocking it? It could be that the dragonfire rework is causing it to heat up the ground a lot more now. It almost certainly is, since it's heating up everything else.

Put a grate down before something grows over it.

already dropped a paved road that's magma proof. I'm determined to save my child.

You can gather clay through a grate, but not through a road. Assuming that's what you're excited about.

It's pretty clear that he's happy simply making a living off of it. He's stated that it's his life's work, and I know from personal experience that financial success has nothing to do with "life's work".

Its gonna be hard to give the fan base a magic system that can live up to the hype, Im ok with Toady having time to investigate, read suggestions and go 3 months to live with an african shaman to know how magic and the divine works if he needs to to make a great system

lel true, Seems kinda of if you could pop up on your god's house while he's sleeping and stab him to death

Nerd fite

Really though, how fucking sour would you be if you paid 10+ bucks for this shit?

I'd be angry if I paid for one of the df-alikes and then found df afterwards.

I was tempted to buy it for awhile, but I've gotten good enough at DF that I just don't see the point. Maybe if I had money to blow I'd do it just to play sci-fi DF-lite

>The next released version will actually be magic
>Playing the game in the new "Reality" gamemode causes things to happen in the real world
>Toady disables the mode again after some chucklefuck tunnels down into Hell, causing the world to end

How can I decide my site's size in adventure mode?
I literally have no idea, wiki doesn't help

Can't.

What game are you talking about?

well, there's gotta be a way
At least do we know why a site appears with a certain size when it is formed?
>Toady visits /x/
>gets fascinated by rune and written magic in general
>The new code for the magic release has a spell that makes the player's dwarves able to pray for his god to make bad things happen to the player if he has treated them badly
>mfw all those mass killing children summer holydays in front of their mothers

>be noob me
>decide to make walls and floors around the entry stairs to make it stand out more
>have a bad feeling about floors covering the stairs
>yep, the dwarves who are outside can't get in
>migrants approach
>the dwarves outside can't mine because no picks
>can't make up stairs
>destroying the floor doesn't help
>migrants start retreating from society
>abandon fortress to ruin

rimworld, presumably

>Gather plants
>Brew them
>Cook the seeds
>Occasionally get some animal action.
>Have 0 farmers still like 8 years later
Feels gud

>Have 7 blind cave ogres I can't do anything about
>2 tamed voracious cave crawlers
>2 I needed for a breeding pair get punched out by ex-soldier haulers mucking about the cavern
>Out of the 10-20 best case if aren't already dead, 4 are gone from the regional population
Fffffffuuuuuck.

>have a bad feeling about floors covering the stairs
Really.
>the dwarves outside can't mine because no picks
Your dwarves inside had picks though, right?
>can't make up stairs
Why not?
>destroying the floor doesn't help
Then you did it wrong.
>migrants start retreating from society
That's a strange mood. He wanted to make an artifact.
>abandon fortress to ruin
That's how you stay bad.

I know you said you're new, but that is a truly impressive constellation of fail nonetheless.

pretty savage desu, not even him
Even if he showed a cringy and anxious behaviour when confronted with a easy as fuck problem you dont need to be rude

3x3 default, smaller if butted up against another site, no control yet.

on the bright side, 7 ogres is good motivation to set up an auto-butchery machine so that some brave soul can make bolts or crafts out of the bones of sentients

i'm out of the dangerous bit of the game. I need quality over quantity. Really sour Toady never fixed shit so you can trade untamed creatures. Last week I was thinking of doing an animal trade fort next but there's so much evil shit I can't do dick with other than kill and eat.

Ugh. I can't do it. I can't build temporary lodgings at the start because I hate seeing those empty fucking holes later on.

I see reports about civilians being hit by members of the military, and I never see reports about members of military fighting anyone. Does anyone have an idea of what's happening.

how viable is plant gathering

Well, since you already channel out the soil layers for a tree farm, you can just put them in there. Or just take more miners and make them proficient and suck it up until you've dug down to the magma sea or picked out where you'll fort and pump, minecart, or piston it up to.

Probably getting bumped into during spars. They can also start fights if they're onery little shits.

Depends on where you embark. If you're on a desert or a glacier or something, you can supplement your food with cavern gathering if you're so inclined, but it won't be a significant source of food and drink for a mature fort. If you settle in a tropical jungle you can subsist entirely off gathering as long you put enough dwarves on it each summer. There are of course embarks that fall everywhere between those extremes.

>since you already channel out the soil layers for a tree farm
Why would anyone do that so early in their fort that they're talking about temporary lodgings?

100% depends on your biome. If you have a decent level of shrubbery you're good to do. If you trim your useless surface trees in biomes with a decent amount and harvest fruits and nuts you're gravy. I had like 2000 acorns at some point before I started cooking all my shit.

What, dig your exploratory shaft to know where the soil ends and hit the caverns. Once you know where the floor is to your soil you just channel out a little soil fort for your temp shops. Once you settle in you clear up the rest for faster rock mining and getting your plants and saplings going. It takes a good 4,5 years to really take off. Sooner begun sooner done and all that.

>hate seeing those empty fucking holes
>doesn't want his fortress to have abandoned rooms
>doesn't want his fortress to have entire condemned sections

>tfw all that retarded burrow job cancel spam so you can't make ghettos without full retard specialization.

>toady will probably die within your lifetime

Tree farming is a vanity project that is almost never needed for a fort and has a devastating fps cost if you do it on a large enough scale to be useful.
You talk about it like it's something that every player does or ought to do, but it really isn't either of those things. It has limited utility, partially because by the time that it takes to get going you're not likely to have any great need for wood, but also because wood is so abundant and can be traded for cheaply in large quantities from any not-yet-dead civ. Plus, each cavern layer is already an embark sized tree farm. Last time I dug out a tree farm I ended up walling it off and flooding it with magma because I couldn't use the thousands of logs I already had fast enough, without ever having chopped a single tree in my farm.

>DF will probably be finished in your lifetime

Able to import raw gems fucking WHEN toady.

Muh trainin' bolts
Muh civilian crossbows
Muh charcoal, ash, and pearlash

>scamps WILL die in your lifetime
why live

Muh light barrels
Muh light large wooden pots
Muh light wheelbarrows
Muh nine gorillion light bins

Consider the time it takes a treefarm to be productive and the low yields of mushroom trees. By the time you're 5 years into your fort you will have been able to acquire plenty of wood or bones for every civilian to have a crossbow many times over and most players will be drowning in copper for cheap bolts. You'll probably have magma or be in spitting distance of having it, greatly reducing the need for charcoal (if you need it all; it's a slow player who hasn't outfitted their military in steel or adamantine already at that point). If you don't have surface wood to feed what need you have for ash and pearlash, you can trade for more wood each year than most tree farms will ever produce. If you can't trade for some reason, you can wall off an enormous section of the caverns in the 3 years you're waiting for that very first sapling to come up. Caverns which will already be full of trees already and have saplings closer to sprouting than the saplings in your own farm.
I'm not saying players shouldn't tree farm anymore than I'm saying they shouldn't beekeep. But it's about as valuable an endeavor as beekeeping, and certainly shouldn't be a priority in a young fort. It's something to do after you're established and have labor (and fps) to spare on things that aren't going to have much payoff beyond the fun of doing it.

>that map
When is Toady going to properly emulate plate tectonics?

after bumblebee beekeeping

Life goals. Bumblebee man army.

Ever since the new tree rules I've had a ridiculous surplus of wood.

Tarn is an artist who doesn't seek wealth.

That said the government should send him a grant regardless.

>locate the third cavern layer
>everything is dead
>crundle corpses littered everywhere, with a larger cave monster here and there
>very carefully carve fortifications around the place
>finally find two blinking, named corpses, a 'W' and an 'F', lying side by side
>forgotten beasts
I guess they killed everything in the cavern, and finally each other.

Yeah, last heavily forested embark I did I had 3 legendary wood burners making ash on repeat. They still couldn't keep up with the wood just from the maintenance chopping to keep trees off my walls.

How the fuck do waterwheels work? I can place it on a brook wherever, but it doesn't turn. It's taking water from the correct direction

Doesn't work on a brook. Needs to be over actual water tiles.
You can channel out a brook and the wheel should work after that.
It's built on empty space, so it needs to be supported from the side by an axle or a mechanism.

Soil is ezpz free mining skill and not that 130 imported wood a year isn't significant but you'll use a good 7-15 logs of bolts per squad per fight and more on sieges or arena clears. and archery targets chew through them as anyone who mains bone bolts can attest. That's on top of your 300 or so bins and 200 or so mix of barrels and large wood pots. Maybe it's a 43.04 bug but log harvests while larger than they used to be are never as big as that initial clearcut.

How romantic.

I can confirm from my campstruction experience that the regrowth is always thinner than the initial trees, even when they look the same size.

>200 or so mix of barrels and large wood pots
Is there a good reason not to just use stone pots?

because large green glass pots are way sexier

Muh weight
Muh syrup
Muh Platinum and aluminum everything

They're a little heavier. Not by a significant enough amount that you should resort to tree farming if you're short of wood for some reason.

Wood bolts are useless in fights, and as I noted above, most players will have copper or silver in abundance by the time a tree farm has started to produce what meager production you'll get from it. As for bins, there's no reason to use that many. Bin bugs are a fucking plague on this game, and they should only be used for things that you'll never ever need for anything but trade if you want to avoid them. Pots can be made from other materials if you don't have enough wood (somehow), and syrup going into meals will turn those barrels over quickly unless you want to stockpile it en masse for some reason. And I'll reiterate, if you must have wood for any of those purposes, tree farming is the least effective way to supply that wood. I can hypothesize a perfect storm of bad conditions that will make tree farming the only option for wood, but I've never encountered those conditions in dozens (hundreds?) of forts in the 8 years I've played DF.
Again, I'm not saying players shouldn't tree farm. I'm saying it's not a useful thing to apply your labor to in an early fort.

They add up but their main benefit is letting you train them to legendary then reassign them metal bolts. There's no need to piss all that metal away even if after you finish armoring up your army, militia, and haulers you get ~100 weapons grade bars to work with.

I need fucking caravans and stuff in adventure mode pls

>tfw can't form a band of gypsies stealing everything then packing it your caravan to go elsewhere to peddle and steal more shit
>tfw no qt3.14 and a goat farm in the hills

How do I have the best fish fort experience /dfg/?

What are some cool things to help make df fun again?

Do you ever think he'll make chests hold powders?

>werethings
how do you get rid of those fuckers without traps? I've been getting caught in the beginning of my forts with maybe 10 dwarves when werestuff shows up

>sign on as a caravan guard
>skirmish with bandits that try to ambush the caravan between towns
>have ongoing philosophical debates with the other caravan members
>pass the time in towns playing music and drinking with the locals and other guards
>help the caravan hire new guards and mourn the ones that died during the trip
>head out again into an entirely new environment

I don't know man. every ocean embark I've ever tried ended in boredom. it seems that 99% of the animals that spawn are seabirds rather than whales or anything interesting

I get what you're saying, and I usually don't use my silver for that. But copper? I'm sure as hell not using it for furniture. I mean, if you can turn every bit of your copper into bronze you should, but that's usually not the case. Sometimes I'll turn it into rose gold just for the color, but regular gold is both plentiful and more valuable. By year 5 or 6 I'm almost always training with copper bolts and fighting with bronze or iron bolts. Sometimes even steel, if I've got the resources for it. If I have any wood bolts at that point I dump and destroy them, masterworks be damned, because it's bad for them to end up in a marksdwarf's quiver. It's a guarantee that they'll be ineffective when I want them killing. And prior to then I usually have so many bone bolts that I can't use them all anyway, so wood bolts are optional even before I'm rolling in sharp shiny stuff.

This is exactly why I want caravans.

I agree with this, but in recent forts I haven't even gone to the copper bolts for training stage, I've had so much bone lying around (especially since beak dog mounts were re-introduced) that even with the pathetically small stacks the workshop job produces AND having a hunter constantly using bone bolts, I've never come close to running out

so it's supposed to be hanging and won't work until 4/7 water is flowing through the zlevel below it?

You should be embarking with bronze ores for armor, some steel ores for weapons, once you're hitting around 40 dorfs you should be setting most migrants to train with melee or wrestling with 2 of your skilled soldiers to bootstrap sparring or give them crossbows with 2 hammer recruits, ample bolts and shoot shit up.

Alternatively, a long 2-z high (Use dig upward ramp) hall of raising spear traps with restrained animals and wood doors in the side walls. A battery of ballistas, catapults helps somewhat as does making a supported plug for cave-in's on demand, channel the sides with lead block floors and upright spears, winding dodge traps with a fuckload of crossbow users.

Generally with your fortress design try to have it so that nobody has to go near or outside your outermost perimeter and at that point you want to restrain some animals, build a lot of wood doors, and have squads training in a barracks that anything coming by has to pass through.

So I guess to answer your question uh, use raising spear traps. Use them as part of a dodge trap for additional effectiveness from multiple trips if it's not a flier.

Eh, if my site has copper I like to put every non-critical dorf in civilian squads without a barracks wearing a copper helm, mail shit, leather armor, gauntlets, bone greaves, high boots, the usual additional leather cover, wood shield and a copper crossbow with 500 wood bolts or a pick if they're a miner. Building a good hoard of 75x[marksdorf] metal bolts per enemy entity in range. I like to double up jobs and offset active by 3 months so they get a little training in. Then I'll start moving trained soldiers into them a couple years down the road as my military matures. I burn through a good 1200 copper like nobodies business.

I dunno, maybe cause I usually only do 1x1 embarks? I'm just itchy about shit.

>DF2020
"Why the fuck is this merchant ship from the human civ across the haunted sea taking so long?"
>A vile force of darkness has arrived!
>Undead/mutant sailors spill out onto your docks, slaughtering haulers at the trade depot and sending your broker into the waves where the named giant kraken lives

It'd be kind of cool to be able to form a band of mercenaries and eventually be able to hire people to follow simple shit like tend to my farm and maintain these item quotas back at the camp.

>Not having airlocked depots
>Not having a high percentage of haulers so you can rapidly haul and dump shit out

Caravans will probably come in as a way of getting money and travelling around for adventurers.
Or robbing.

Traps won't help with werebeasts. They're trap avoid. Bring a military dwarf or two with you at embark, get them training around when the first migrant wave arrives, set watch animals. When a werebeast shows, just send the nearest military dwarf after it. Fully armored dwarves with a little training under their belt can typically 1v1 a werebeast pretty easily. Metal armor is, at the very least, almost a guarantee that your dwsrf won't get infected, and makes them deathproof against most things that aren't armed. Only the biggest werebeasts are a threat if you put in a small amount of preparation. The biggest danger comes from unarmored civvies jumping into the fight. A civilian alert burrow will take care of that.

>set watch animals
this is the biggest thing, in my experience
keep a group of dogs, wagon animals, and whatever pets your first immigrant wave brings some ways outside your fort's entrance.
it's entirely likely that in the time it takes the werebeast to kill them all, it'll revert back to human/elf/whatever form, but even if it doesn't, it should give you enough time to wall off temporarily from inside
and like user says a civilian alert is a must

Can I play as a snakeman priest with an axe now?

There's no way to join the clergy yet.

How do I join a bandit camp and what sort of stuff will I be tasked to do if I can?

I've never done it before, but my understanding is that you need to talk to the ringleader and ask to be their hearthsperson, similar to serving a lord. Not sure what they ask you to do, but it's safe to assume it will be some manner of violent dickery.

Damn.
I'm gonna start playing Dwarf Fortress again when the game lets me create my own cult of axe-wielding snakemen.

Ah I see, good to know. I've been interested in banditry and was wondering if there were brigand-specific quests available.

If I have my Archers 1 Z level higher than the enemy, How does that affect my Archers accuracy and vision? Is it better or objectively worse and not worth it?

Check back you when the myth update hits, maybe?
If it doesn't happen then it will probably be years.

it will probably be years before the myth update hits anyway

They won't be able to fire on targets directly in front of them 1z down, but they'll otherwise have the same (or close to the same) range. And you'll get the benefit that melee troops won't be able to reach them. Until they run out of bolts and climb down to bludgeon them with their crossbows, but that's another issue entirely.

Unfortunate that bug still exists, Thanks though senpai.

what attributes affect poetry? The wiki isn't saying. Does Musicality?

There should be but they behave weirdly at best, I haven't gotten them to work at all, though I recall someone saying they had.

How do you sort items in the haul to trade depot menu by value as opposed to distance? I'm pretty sure I had a noble for it earlier (and everything else) but he went berserk so I had to make changes.