Nietzsche

Why did Nietzsche walk? I realize that this seems like a mundane question but It is interesting to me to know why Nietzsche went on his long walks in the forest and in the mountains, what do you think it was that he got out of walking?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Andreas-Salomé
youtube.com/watch?v=KDjGF-NQ57k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's German.

Danke.

He had social anxiety and wanted to overcome it

I can see where you are coming from and I agree that it could be very much a part of it from a general point of view. Even so, what was it that he got out of this walking that helped him with his 'social anxiety disorder' (I presume that Nietzsche himself was not aware of this and this idea is attributed to him by later commentators) How do you think this anxiety manifested in his social life? such as his attitude and disposition towards people?

How did this habit of walking shape his philosophy? Most people when they go for walks do so to go from A to B, work, school and so on. I think even less walk for pleasure even less as a solitary, habitual habit that consumes hours on end of your time.

Walking, as all low impact physical activity, stills the mind, and is therefore conducive to better thinking.

If you weren't an inactive, unhealthy, lump of flesh, you would know that.

I really like walking and wandering around the woods near my house and this question came to me while I was walking. I know the simple pleasures that I find in it but I was interested to know what it was that some such as Nietzsche found in it. Its more or less a lighthearted question for pondering his character and how his philosophy reflects in his conduct throughout his own life.

>Most people when they go for walks do so to go from A to B, work, school and so on. I think even less walk for pleasure even less as a solitary, habitual habit that consumes hours on end of your time.
Are you serious? I'd call you sheltered or autistic but this is some next level shit. Is this the terminal stage of modernity, where people can't even conceive of going on a walk if it's not from home to work?
I mean it's like asking "did people really sit on their rocking chairs on their porches smoking pipes? Why would they do that?"

I doubt that it was a purposeful conscious choice for him to instill in himself the habit and pleasure of walking; he just did it unconsciously like any other person who likes to walk.

You are a moron.

I think you are over reacting there. I understand that people do go for walks for pleasure I didnt refute that point all I was saying is that I think that not many people go for walks for pleasure in the same way that someone like Nietzsche did who would walk for 4 or so hours at a day, sometimes reaching the glacier of the mountain he was trekking about. I am sorry if you were mislead by statement there I am trying to extract to extract a vague idea in my head and shape it into a topic or line of questioning that people can come into to share or reflect on their own ideas and opinions on Nietzsche as I mentioned in one my earlier post

Why am I a moron? I was just interested in having a conversation? Your statement seems to be implying that Nietzsche walked around mountains because he was unaware that he was being driven by an unconscious choice that is the root for him to walk for hours on end. I don't think that is as clear as it sounds because certainly all people would have this desire like everyone who likes to walk but not everyone who likes to walk walks for four hours at a time or so. I think we are missing the point of what I am trying to get across here.

>Why am I a moron?

Because your thought patterns are convoluted, and you lack discernment.

>Your statement seems to be implying that Nietzsche walked around mountains because he was unaware that he was being driven by an unconscious choice that is the root for him to walk for hours on end.

No, it doesn't. Improve your reading comprehension.

>I don't think that is as clear as it sounds because certainly all people would have this desire like everyone who likes to walk but not everyone who likes to walk walks for four hours at a time or so.

You should have specified that in the original post, instead of just asking "why did he walk?" like an idiot.

>Why am I a moron?
>Because your thought patterns are convoluted, and you lack discernment.

True , I haven't been the most concise discussion partner.

>Because your thought patterns are convoluted, and you lack discernment.

What you said
>I doubt that it was a purposeful conscious choice for him to instill in himself the habit and pleasure of walking;
So Nietzsches original intention to walk was not a conscious decision.

> he just did it unconsciously like any other person who likes to walk.

So Nietzsche just walked unconsciously just like any other person who walks and so Nietzsche walked around the lakes and mountains because he wasn't consciously aware of it.

>You should have specified that in the original post, instead of just asking "why did he walk?" like an idiot.

How could've I put that in the OP when it was a response to something that you said namely that the compulsion to walk is (essentially) entirely unconscious which I was disagreeing with.

>So Nietzsche just walked unconsciously just like any other person who walks and so Nietzsche walked around the lakes and mountains because he wasn't consciously aware of it.

What?

His drive to walk was unconscious, but he did not walk because his drive was unconscious.

Why do you fallaciously and immediately equate the nature of his drive with the cause of his wanderlust? Are you unable to think?

>How could've I put that in the OP when it was a response to something that you said namely that the compulsion to walk is (essentially) entirely unconscious which I was disagreeing with.

It isn't a response to a topic arising from the discussion, but the very question behind this thread, idiot; namely, "why did Nietzsche like to walk for several hours?"

Go away.

Nietzsche said that he philosophized with his feet. I think of all the solutions to my work while walking, and when I'm down at the office I just implement whatever I thought about while I was walking, but if I need to think of something new, I find the sitting position extremely unproductive.

I started "studying" "nietzsche" in 2007. And only twice have I heard about his walking escapades. Very important to be balanced in all pursuits, should we forgo the physical, we severly handicap and greatly diminish our intellectual potential & prowess, or so I believe.

Was it not Socrates wisdom that said all those millenia ago that it would be a shame for a man to grow old without knowing the extent to which his body is capable?

Was it not descartes trying to institutionalise the dichotic split of a mind substance from body, based in secular fallacy? Are we not as one complete physio-anatomical beings?

Clean air and a greater Vo2 max stimulates the blood flow to the brain, refreshing it, allowing it to work 'cleaner'. I often have self aware greater clarity in action hand in hand with my physical fitness & activities. My mind, philosophy & schools of knowledge often likewise stimulated by such activities, and of course the spiritual aspect, in resonance to the soul, the natural born countryside to which his hitherto ancestors walked the same paths, mountains, forests. Ressonance, environmental connection, Hegels Geist - world spirit et cetera.

He was a closeted homosexual. That's why he was such a Negative Nelly.

He was less of a homosexual and more of a massive beta.

"A defining point in Nietzsche's life was his active involvement in the militant, and often violent, homosexual struggles in and around Germany. A notable provocateur within the currents for the sexual emancipation of workers, Nietzsche spoke out against the injustices and prejudices faced by the sexual minorities of the age".

This is a half truth

I go on long walks almost every day. It's a time where I get to be alone and just devote time to thinking about my life and bounce around ideas in my head. It's peaceful to be on a walk, you're getting exercise and working your body to a degree all while taking in a fresh environment as you walk around thinking about whatever it is you might fancy at that time. I've been doing that shit since I was 11 and it's 9/10

also you get bitching legs walking and running everywhere

"A few months later Salomé visited Nietzsche in Germany. They took long walks together, and stayed up all night discussing philosophy. She mirrored his deepest thoughts, anticipated his ideas about religion. Yet when he again proposed marriage, she scolded him as conventional: it was Nietzsche, after all, who had developed a philosophical defense of the superman, the man above everyday morality, yet Salomé was by nature far less conventional than he was. Her firm, uncompromising manner only deepened the spell she cast over him, as did her hint of cruelty. When she finally left him, making it clear that she had no intention of marrying him, Nietzsche was devastated. As an antidote to his pain, he wrote Thus Spake Zarathustra, a book full of sublimated eroticism and deeply inspired by his talks with her. From then on Salomé was known throughout Europe as the woman who had broken Nietzsche’s heart."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Andreas-Salomé

Nietzsche fell in love with a woman tho..

>Why did Nietzsche walk?

You're American aren't you

>Doesnt hate gays
>Is gay

So then I must be black since I dont actively call for the resurgence of things like segregation, jim crow, and slavery?

youtube.com/watch?v=KDjGF-NQ57k

another advocate of the hike

As someone who's never met real Germans, is this a thing?