/evn/ - English Visual Novels

Make Titles Readable Edition

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

vndb.org/v19456
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Honorary first post and bump.

First for work on your project every day or a faceless man will molest your waifu at night.

i can get free sex partners by being lazy?

Bisluts not welcome.

They are very welcome, especially in yuri vns. Just post about your bisexual characters on /u/ and see what happens.

It's summer now and the ancient shitpost-limiting covenants have been forgoten. The dark energies will secure these threads un-life through the night, although its very soul might be eroded away in the process...

Well shit. Do we need to perform a ritual or something?

Bisexual sluts will molest your yuri waifu in the night and taint her with secondhand semen

>want to write a sci-fi military drama vn
>don't want to load it with waifus, so it'll be mostly dudes
>need character art to get started
>all the artists I skim through on Lemma draw bishonen gays or cute girls

I never realized how hard it would be to find an average-looking dude in an anime artsyle. But maybe no one would read it anyways if everything didn't look fuckable
>especially the guns

Yes
Post progress if you can
Sadly it's only possible if you are an artist. As a writer, I can only say vague stuff like: "today I made an irreverent character poke fun at diabetes".

Welcome to my world.

My dream come true.

Does anyone else read negative Steam reviews for fun? VNs get some really good ones.

I'm all out of mana today, but tomorrow I'll make an effort, I-I promise

Don't go anime, go semi-realistic?

I think the last anime I watched with average-looking dudes was ghost in the shell desu.
Anime might not be a good idea if you want to avoid fuckability.

I wish writers would post progress excerpts the way they do on Veeky Forums.

Is it bad to have a vn that's all dialogue with no narration?

yes

Hello again, everyone! I just wanted to address what you pointed out in the previous thread about Sentimental Trickster, or rather myself, the author. I didn't post progress here, because I already had people who criticized my work and I was working extra hard for the last couple of months. Didn't really have time for much else than sleeping. I like Veeky Forums (maybe I'm a masochist), I used to do drawfag requests on /a/. That's why I wanted to let people here know about the game. I'll come back when you have a BL visual novel thread, maybe it will be more appropriate there. Goodbye and take care!

Sorry mang. I'm pretty paranoid. I'm doing something a bit unconventional and don't post excerpts on principle to avoid the eventual bout of stupidity that may reveal my gimmicks.

no

Maybe

why does every character look the same

>I'll come back when you have a BL visual novel thread

user, you really need to lurk more. That's what /blog/ basically is.

Good luck with your project, but there aren't enough people for a specific EVN-BL thread. We do talk about BL projects in here occasionally though, hang out long enough and Monstrous Lovers will come up a lot

I thought they hated EVNs

Isn't that pretty much a mobage thread now?

the feeding chain is unstranslated vns > translated vns > evn > mobage

Because otoge and homoge are rarer than other types of VN, plus a lot of people are EOP. Most of the time there's not much new stuff to discuss.

Speaking of, god bless Badriel for coding the GUI instead of using imagemaps. I would be pulling my hair right now if I had to do heavy image editing for the translation.

Also, little sister is now in game.

Reminder that most yuri is written for men.

i did five character design and sprite sketches today of sexy girls

Cute. I imagined her smaller when playing the demo tho.

>Badriel
How much did it cost you for him to do the GUI? Ballpark. I can't seem to find any prices for that.

I built an amazing castle out of ice. I don't have any pictures of it, but take my word for it. It's amazing.

except mine
and hers
and hers
SHE doesn't care, though, that slut will spread her pages for anyone

I actually switched Silvia with the youngest sister (so now Silvia is the second youngest instead) because of how involved she ended up being in Ben's route.

She does act childish so Ben will spoil her, though.

In the 150+ range. You'd have to ask him, though, since thas was quite a bit ago.

I write for both genders, no matter what I'm writing.

That's not bad, thanks.

>both
you uncultured swine

>implying theres anything wrong with wanting to maximize potential profit
>implying alienating an entire gender is the right way instead
Hope you have fun with your project failing.

>Went to bed early and sad because I was stuck writing a scene and couldn't work out how to do it, even though I knew how the scene would progress and all the beats I needed to hit.
>Woke up and blazed my way through it without a problem.
Someone get a gynecologist and bucket of water because this cunt is on fire.

My dream VN would feature the girl getting pregnant while being stolen from the protagonist by a futanari.

They meant that there's more than 2 genders you cisgendered enabler.lol

And sometimes trying to target everyone means that your vn will appeal to no one.

Not that user, but I really don't see females flocking in droves to my BxGxGxG game, no matter how I try. The story is neat and MC kind of cool, but even so...

I wouldn't play a game for the sole BxB route, mainly because it ends up beig lower quality, a joke, or even outright lacking in content when compared to the BxG ones.

True love '95 fooled me that way, ain't happening again.

This is the best evn release of the year so far.

vndb.org/v19456
NSFW

>BxGxGxG
Is it really a harem or are you toying with my heart and representing three routes with three G's?

I don't know what I expected to find. I'm feeling pretty stupid right now.

Not in droves, no, though there are a number of dedicated female VN fans who do play the BxG games. Most of the oldschool EVN devs do. That is, after all,how they got into the genre...

... and yes, stuff like that got annoying. I heard the one BxB route in No One But You was actually decent, though I haven't played it. I've heard that the two boy routes in Shira Oka are at least not THAT bad but not necessarily romantic either.

It has both possibilities, although the harem route is highly encouraged. Mainly because main heroine is mai waifu and I don't want her to be lonely.

What's the next game jam coming up?

Will Infellune's yuri kickstarter project turn out good? Will the text finally be readable?

>turn out
you think they'll finish something?

This thread is full of ruskies, flips, krauts and tacos. In fact, I think you, my friend, are the only burguer here.

Tacos actually make games?

Did I miss something?

He is either retarded or making a pun off finish -> finnish.

>no cute girls
What is the point?

There's still some BL fans to please senpai.

It looked like a bunch of very cliche and melodramatic storylines. I hope whoever wrote the descriptions of the characters in the kickstarter isn't the project writer because they were not very well written.

I'd imagine that a yuri vn is full of tacos.

writing character intro boxes blows and i wouldnt judge anyone's vn by them

is there ever going to be a notable rival to Sekai Project? it seems no one is really close to their success level.

They already had rivals - JAST and Mangagamer. Not likely to have a lot of new ones since so many JP publishers seem keen to skip the middleman these days.

If you mean in terms of collecting more EVN sucker devs and skimming a portion of their income, probably also not because everyone else who publishes games doesn't want to be a sleaze.

>calling vaginas tacos
Why would anyone do this? It sounds gross.

why do EVN devs even feel the need to sign with them? do they really contribute that much to an easy fucking process like getting on Steam?

People keep coming in here and begging for help to find a publisher because they think that makes them look more Professional.

A few people are using Sekai to get help with funding, which makes sense.

Speak for yourself. Mine are perfect.
>George: The Hero. Has sex with all the other characters.
>Girl George: All the other characters. Available for anal, oral, paizuri and lotion play.

Because like a good vagina, the best ones all have crisp, cold lettuce in it.

That's what they are. Beef filled clamshells. Pink tacos. If they don't clean them often, cheese tacos.

When you're discussing how long a VN is, are you thinking about for a single playthrough or for all routes (all routes being defined as only including new content so that in a VN with two routes, route A would add one hour of playtime but route B would only add thirty minutes of playtime due to sharing the initial half hour with route A) ?

All routes.

Both are important when considering user satisfaction. You want to ensure users don't think they're 'done' in a really short period of time, which may require jumping up and down yelling 'HEY THERE ARE OTHER OUTCOMES' if it's possible to reach an ending in a short time

That's a good point.
Determining what is considered a "short" time seems pretty difficult though, especially when you take into account people's different reading speeds.

Oh, I thought tacos were referring to Mexicans.

The only evn with a Mexican lesbian that I can remember was Isabella from Roommates.

Excuse me, you identity erasing shithead, Isabella was pansexual.

This is why I'd rather make a game with clear, straight characters.

>everyone else who publishes games doesn't want to be a sleaze.
>JAST
>MG
>not sleazy

you lost me

DEVGRU-P?

Yuri vn where you cuck your neglectful father by seducing your stepmother when?

>wanting used goods esp ones touched by dad dick

Then you and your stepmother both fall for some Beaner dick who wants to marry you for that delicious green card.

>stepmother
Weak

Since this place is pretty dead... can anyone tell me if this looks any good for a vn homepage?

Yeah, that looks pretty good.

Is the narration in your game from a third person's perspective or the MC's?

S-Shit, after posting it I realised there wasn't anywhere for story info. I guess I could place it above the download button. Thanks for liking it.

MC's. I feel it helps the reader connect with the MC more and reduces my opportunities to rely on prose (which is a big crutch for me).

What's your dream game that you want to make?
Do you have a timeline or plan for how you're going to get to the point where you are ready to make it?

>not making it already
fuckin' pleb.

BPO: Boy Pussy Overdrive is not something I can launch straight into. I need to do a fair few smaller projects before I'm ready to begin development of something like this.

You should always be developing your dream idea - leaving it till years later it's going to be something else or you'll just forget. You can still jot your ideas down whenever, you've no excuses.

Currently making it, but it started with ideas jotted down bit by bit until there was enough of it to be able to give myself a deadline.

Question about doing backgrounds: I know there's no "standard," but for 16:9 games, approximately what fraction of the image is going to be covered by the text box? A lot of JVNs seem to have really big text boxes that take up 1/3-1/4 of the screen, whereas some stuff like Katawa shoujo only takes up around 1/5.

Are you trying to make stock backgrounds or why are you asking?
No idea if there's a tendency big enough to be useful, but keep in mind that transparent text boxes are pretty common.