/ddt/ DAILY DATSUN THREAD: Finally Getting Some Work Done Edition

[D a i l y D a t s u n T h r e a d]

>Datsun or early to mid 80's Nii-San

>Datsun questions and answers

>Datsun photos and videos

>Datsun stories and CL finds

I'm finally getting some more work on the 240Z done; I pulled the center console out of storage and tore it down to its smallest little bits and have been cleaning, polishing, and repairing everything on it

POST DATSUNS!

Other urls found in this thread:

oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/5528676436.html
baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5549028458.html
sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/5549004984.html
baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5548910766.html
newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5537604544.html
thirdgen.org/forums/body/546612-ultimate-budget-paint-job.html
nh.craigslist.org/cto/5516762424.html
m.kijiji.ca/classic-cars/north-shore/an-art-car-the-final-drive/v?adId=1142753929&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1461300540073
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xfjqql6UPnU
stangtv.com/news/committee-approves-bill-to-exempt-pre-1981-vehicles-from-smog-test/
kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/kingston-on/1978-datsun-240z-mcburnie-kit/1143103448
ezwiring.com/store/viewitem.php?productid=2
vintageconnections.com/
forums.hybridz.org/topic/65812-painless-or-not-wiring-harness/
zhome.com/DaveRelay/DaveBuild/DaveInstruction.htm
hotrod.com/how-to/interior-electrical/1405-three-plug-options-for-wiring-systems/
jalopnik.com/this-electric-mini-wangan-midnight-datsun-z-is-actually-1753440683
slo.craigslist.org/fuo/5553471760.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you know Steph Whalen? If you have fb I suggest looking her up

what the fuck are you even talking about

Don't you live in sac and like Z's

yes, aaaand? There's like 9 million Steph Whalen's on Facebook

>pic to stay on topic

Got it towed yesterday to a mechanic to have some stalling issues worked on.

I dig the color m8, but not sure I'd want the same one.

oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/5528676436.html

Should I go for it guys? It says Datsun but it's not really a Datsun, right?

That's too much for a 83 280zx

I was thinking of asking the dude to lower the price but I'm not so sure he'll budge on it. I don't know how hard he's trying to get rid of it.

Better luck next time :^)

it's not 2005 anymore, even S130's fetch $tacks

>same pic, different thread

I'll have some new stuff when I get back from Japan... but it looks like I'm spending six weeks out there now.

How would a Datsun be as a first car?

>oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/5528676436.html
walk up with $4,600 and you'd probably get it.

with all new rubber components and decent wiring, they're not bad if you know how to work on cars

HOLY SHIT I AM FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW

baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5549028458.html

SOMEBODY HOLD ME, I MUST BE DREAMING

Scam. Same shits on san antonio craigslist

sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/5549004984.html

yup, you are dreaming. It's a scam.

Yo L24, you think you could help me find some deals on CL in and around Massachusetts?

Let me seeeeeee!

What about this one?

baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5548910766.html

it's north Jersey, but with some polish and wax, a new seal set, vacuum lines, and bushings, you'll be doing swimmingly!

newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5537604544.html

Question for 260restoguy how much did you spend on your restoration?

Also general question, how would I go about painting a Z myself?

HAVE A GUIDE M8!

The patent pending Dat L24 'Valspar Enamel G.O.A.T. Paint Job for Non-Plebs ©'

>If you're painting a car in the DIY mindset, what you want is a single stage, oil based enamel paint.

>Like for instance Valspar Tractor and Implement Enamel.

>It's inexpensive, it stands up to UV light so it won't fade (unlike Rustoleum), it's single stage so no worries about pealing clear coat, and it is durable to the point where you can throw rocks at it and buff out the scratches, or even key it and buff it out (in certain instances). And if you need to repair it? Break out the extra paint you have, and go crazy!

>Pic related was painted with the stuff.

>Here is a very in-depth guide on painting with the Valspar enamel, and yearly updates on how it's holding up (after 6 years, it still looks like new according to the OP)

>thirdgen.org/forums/body/546612-ultimate-budget-paint-job.html

They have gloss black paint, and it looks bitchin'. It's what I'm gonna paint my S30 with.

I'll see if he'll take it.

Are 300zx also Datsuns?

lol did that guy really paint his shit outdoors under trees and in the dirt. He must have sand and buffed a whole lot of debris off it.

I picked up a 260z, my 240 is sitting in the garage awaiting its treatment, but my Corolla is about to shit it's 5spd out. Got it for 400 bucks :) almost no rust, asides from the rear hatch. This is the flying Z. Anyone in the SF bay have a spare l26? No motor in this one.......I also need to find an ignition/key set for the doors. Maybe a key smith can make one for the current drum?

bring me back some watanabes and triple mikuni please

Gotta find the mikunis for myself first

Thanks man! I'll look into it. What about this one?nh.craigslist.org/cto/5516762424.html

Contact that guy (the link you posted) and get on that; that is one good car.

If you really, really need a new ignition with keg, I have one here in Sac.

If he got a nice paint job out of it, who cares?

>Are 300zx also Datsuns?
technically no, but Datsun's are Nissan's.

And the Z31 chassis was the last Fairlady chassis that had a straight 6 in em (the 200ZR package shoved an RB20DET into it, although the option was never available in the U.S.).

So, because of that, I'm going to call them the last Datsun/Z.

200ZR came out after '86, Datsun only existed pre-'86

HOLY CRAP LOOK AT THIS

KEEP READING AND LOOKING THROUGH THE IMAGES

m.kijiji.ca/classic-cars/north-shore/an-art-car-the-final-drive/v?adId=1142753929&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1461300540073

Yes, I realize that.

BEST EXHAUST FOR S30??? TIPS LINKS ANECDOTES GIMME EM

Straight pipe with a glass pack for amazing sound on a ramen budget

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xfjqql6UPnU

Fair enough.

wow i want that sound . just got some 6-2-1 headers, time for some pipe and a glass pack i guess

I dont think the brickyard likes me coming down there anymore.

I don't think most people would like you coming to their place in that heap of glorious shit. But you do anyway.

And that, is balls.

Guys, it may have a chance this year.

stangtv.com/news/committee-approves-bill-to-exempt-pre-1981-vehicles-from-smog-test/

I'm buying a Z soon, I'm taking out a small loan I don't care anymore.

oh shit I'm coming to cali

I just wish we were inline with the importation laws, but emissions ruins that for us too

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

THIS WOULD PRICE OUT ALL THE GOOD 280ZX's FOR ME

I WANT A 280ZX 1UZ-FE DAILY DRIVER DAMMIT

Dude said he would only go down to 5500 and he's being a snide asshole about it. I guess I won't be getting that. Might just get a bike instead.

don't even consider that one when you have as an option

If only I lived in NH, heh.

you have a car.

DRIVE.

The guy I bought my '72 240Z chassis from drove 16 hours combined to get it.
I guess it really comes down to: what's the car worth to you?

>nh.craigslist.org/cto/5516762424.html
fuck i wish i could go get that

Not having a way to get it back would be one thing.

>have someone drive with you
I only have one friend who can drive manual, and I don't trust him driving it back that far.

Hey its been a while since I talked, RB20 is coming pretty well.

Some issues that Im stuck on is that I ended up damaging a bit of the engine head so now theres a gash in it.

No one on the forum will tell me what connectors I need for the NICS to ECCS head swap on RB20

oh yeh, i bought an s2k

>Toyota engine in Nissan chassis

Why a RB20? Why not a 26?

The 20 only needs you to slot the motor mounts. I'm a retard and bought the wrong kind of RB20 so its taking forever.

the RB25/26DET swap is in the 10k ballpark to do yourself

sorry forgot to trip

Fuck ya

I got my Z registered today, and also picked up an L26 motor i have to unload from the back of my pickup into the garage tomorrow.

w00t. :D

>based all aluminum DOHC 32 valve super smooth V8 in max comfy GT car

Yes please

Nice S2000 dude. I love those things, they handle so dang nice.

Niiiiice! Need more pics though, this $400 chassis sounds cool.

kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/kingston-on/1978-datsun-240z-mcburnie-kit/1143103448
>Poutine Canadian wants five grand for a ruined Datsun
>a ruined Datsun that's been crashed
>He's been offering it up for at least the last eight months
This is why I can't have nice Z cars.

If you want one, there was another one I saw with my 260z, it's a 77 280, would just need front fenders, and some rust patches. The owner wants 500 for it, it's in sfbay.craigslist.org under "Datsun"... Should come with extra diff and motor too.

>sfbay
That's the only problem. Getting a car from America to Canada is a pain. I'd have to do import papers and such.
Well, it seems I'll be working with import papers or trying to remove lots of rust. Gonna shoot myself in the foot either way.

Lol, Its not hard to import an old car into canada. What are you talking about?

You're right. I only have to ship the car to the border, claim it, do paperwork on it to get it here, then to register it I need to go through the whole importing process. Which is paperwork and taxes.
It's a long process and can be pretty expensive with the depressed Canadian dollar.

fuck off australia

>Go to Georgia
>buy a $4000 240z
>put insurance on 240z
>drive to border
>show us customs the title and bill of sale
>Us customs release the car
>go to Canada customs
>Do the fourm 1
>pay tax
>pay import fee
>drive into Canada
>go to service ontario or what ever and get your title converted to a Canadian ownership

Done

shit guys im hella hyped about this 260, need to get my motorcycle finished ASAP so i can start working on the car.... almost debating selling the bike for more fundz.

I think im also going to try to wire up a Raspberry Pi as a car computer for it, rather than just getting something off the shelf. The only downside is that i want the display to be able to be tucked into the dash like a single DIN foldable unit. Might have to design a little rail system for it, but it should be doable. would be cheap too, possibly around 100 bucks? The nice thing is that RPI3 comes with WIFI + bluetooth built in, so it should be easy to get the OS to have a constant airplay / bluetooth audio setup going on.

best advice: fuck the car computer for now, and focus on good wiring to hook the fucker into. Buy an EX-Wiring 21 circuit universal wiring kit, 'cause you're gonna need it.

EZ-Wiring, type properly dangit.

ezwiring.com/store/viewitem.php?productid=2

some cars I saw at whitehead in Toronto.

So i found a 86 300zx with the sweet electronic dash. for a 1000 dollars and he says it runs. do you guys think it would be worth it, are 300zx's hard to work with and parts ready. thanks in advance for any response

How bad is the rust?

From what i can tell it looks pretty straight. Though the under carriage will have rust im sure. kansas weather kills our cars.

They are terrible to work on. Absolutely absolutely terrible. Parts are rare as fuck. Even o-rings you cant get from a store but need to order them online. You need to do an engine lift to get at the knock sensor, turbos or egr. The intake plenum prevents access to spark plugs even and touching anything in the engine bay will require a new wiring harness. The smog pump and egr will have failed by now so need a delete.

Ask me anything.

no more electrical gremlins!
now waiting for my goddamn amazon order to finally show up so I can crimp in some new bullet terminals!!

Thanks, ill have to look into that, i got work on the bike done today, im hoping ill get the dash removed this week, or possibly next... have a wedding next week to go to.
Does this harness remove the fucking power running through all the lines, i fucking melted part of my 240z's headlight switch that was a bitch to fix (actually not really just some ingenuity). Ill look into that relay system that someone makes on classicZ car, and see if i can replicate it.

you can also try vintageconnections.com/ if you want to use origional connections. I bought the "6.3mm" pin remover tool, its bretty solid.

dude, it's a whole new wiring harness from the ground up. You rip out the main harness (not your dash's harness though) and replace everything. All new chassis wiring from headlights to tail lights.

And yes, you NEED the headlight relay system. Without it, you are gonna plain die.

Here's some reading for you:

forums.hybridz.org/topic/65812-painless-or-not-wiring-harness/

Oh shit no way, thats sick, ya ill have to look into that, and also check with my accountant if i can dump that much money into it :p I have hella wire left over from when i redid my motorcycle harness.......

zhome.com/DaveRelay/DaveBuild/DaveInstruction.htm

another instruction set....

use your left over wiring to make the relay (if it's the appropriate gauge wiring, that is). Then if you want, you could rebuild the dash harness piece by piece.

What's more important than new wiring though is clean contacts. Bad contacts = no go.

So, read this, and make your decision whether or not to clean up and re-use the old connectors, or buy new ones.

hotrod.com/how-to/interior-electrical/1405-three-plug-options-for-wiring-systems/

son of a fucking bitch.
I went to an electronics store yesterday that has pin terminals and whatnot but they didn't have the proper ones, wasted a bunch of fucking money for shit i wont need

im sorry bro, we should add that link to the post sticky up top.

you kept your receipt, right? If so, go return it.

Thanks for the response. That kinda makes me sad since i liked the whole "electronic future" vibe the 300zx's had. dang if by any chance those things are not failed(just being optomistic) ill just daily it like my rx7

WANT WANT WANT

jalopnik.com/this-electric-mini-wangan-midnight-datsun-z-is-actually-1753440683

also want:

slo.craigslist.org/fuo/5553471760.html

How get z car cheap in uk?

I like the mud flaps

You can't
cars cost a lot there and they are all rusty

>cars cost a lot
>uk
Ok

That is a sad thing.

Just move to California and you can get all the Z cars you want for under 7k

Yikes what is wrong with her face?

Got this car with a 60mm TB from a newer Nissan, been trying to make it work. '79 280zx BTW